Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Should religion be allowed in debates? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well?
  Yes, god must rule the courthouse!
  No, numbers only!
View Results

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:23 am
Of course you can use religion in debates. You can use anything you like in arguments, unless there are guide-lines or rules on what resources can be used.

Should you use religious resources? If you agree witht them, why not? if you don't, then don't, and use something you do agree with. If someone brings up religion and you disagree with it, just keep factual and say "regardless of your religious claims, the facts say..."

I'm the intolerant, dogmatic miitant atheist here and I sound like the voice of moderation. Damn...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:30 pm
Gracchia Saint-Justine
Of course you can use religion in debates. You can use anything you like in arguments, unless there are guide-lines or rules on what resources can be used.

Should you use religious resources? If you agree witht them, why not? if you don't, then don't, and use something you do agree with. If someone brings up religion and you disagree with it, just keep factual and say "regardless of your religious claims, the facts say..."

I'm the intolerant, dogmatic miitant atheist here and I sound like the voice of moderation. Damn...

It depends on the debate, but wouldn't people just be debating over whose religion should be listened to over another? That's why I feel religion doesn't really have a place in a debate that isn't about religion, because different ones say different things. In the end, it seems like it would just come down to, "You should listen to me, my religion is right!" and, "No, your religion is wrong, listen to mine!"  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas