Free Classical Music Discussion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ethereal Cereal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:53 pm
Lady Sume
You can use all the dictionary entries you want, and I will still firmly believe that music is according to the ears of the person listening, and without us to hear it, it wouldn't even exist.

Still doesn't change the fact that a person saying something 'isn't music' when it factually is, is ignorant. What a person likes and dislikes is subjectivity, yes, but when it comes to things like genre classification and especially defining things as music or not, logic and fact come into play first and foremost.

Hell, I could say 'Death Metal isn't music because it's all screaming,' but that would make me look like an ignorant twit because as long as the sound is organized and has discernible intent, then it's music and that's all there is to it. It's not an opinion in the least. "I don't like Death Metal" is a perfect example of opinion, but what people of all types fail to remember is that, while the latter is limited to oneself, the former is a generalized statement that shows no intelligence whatsoever, and is in all honesty an unnecessary statement.

Just like what Sebastian was trying to get across with the creator of this thread; that even implying things like Rap and R&B would not be considered music is a mindset that needn't be mentioned in this thread because it has no bearing on the topic at hand, and he was in the right for attempting to snuff it out.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:06 pm
Lady Sume
Wow. When it says "discussion", it means discussion and not "let's make personal attacks on everyone and their opinions and be jerks".

You've obviously never been in a real discussion about music, nor in any forum where real discussion takes place. I'm not attacking the person, I am attacking uneducated opinions that make the person look like an idiot. All in an attempt to make that person realize that looking like an idiot is not a good thing.

Lady Sume
Irako is trying her best to talk about the music in her honest opinion and not trying to downsize anyone else's.

Honest opinion can be wrong. I have had to rework my honest opinions all the time when I found that something about it is wrong. One doesn't downsize an opinion, one picks it apart and shows what is wrong with it. Despite everyone thinking that all opinions deserve equal forum, not all opinions are equal. Some are lesser than others and need to be better educated.

Lady Sume
There is an appropriate way to say these things and there is also a completely rude way.

The only reason you people are taking offense to what I say is because I am telling you bluntly that you are wrong, and I am doing so in a way that shows my stubborn conviction. You guys really have to learn to listen better.

Lady Sume
Classical music is classical music, and r&b is r&b.

Yes! Thus they should not be included in a discussion about classical musics. This is my big problem with discussions about classical musics, everyone always, always, compares the classical musics to Rap, Rock, or whatever other genre just because they usually don't really like Rap or Rock, or they think that it is an accepted opinion and most others will agree. A musical listener such as me will never agree with these comparisons because they never hold any merit. One cannot even compare this to this even though they are essentially the same song.

Lady Sume
So Irako likes many works before the 1900's. So what?

She overgeneralized and made a blanket statement that is untrue. Logical fallacies, anyone? That is what i have a problem with.

Lady Sume
That isn't a snooty comment in the least! It is a polite expression of opinion, and that's what music is all about.

Yes, but as I said, not all opinions are clearly educated opinions.

Lady Sume
What we like and dislike is our personal taste, and you can't criticize anyone for having their opinion, especially when they let it be known politely.

Yes, what people like and dislike is personal taste, that is why what is shitty and what isn't is up for discussion, not what is and what isn't music. That is never up for debate.

Lady Sume
You can use all the dictionary entries you want, and I will still firmly believe that music is according to the ears of the person listening, and without us to hear it, it wouldn't even exist.

Then you would be wrong, refer to The Other Half of the Sky's post.

Lady Sume
As for the Cakewalk thing, it's called Cakewalk because it makes it easy to point and click notes. It isn't easy to point and click so the notes sound beautiful.

Yes it is, one can just wank a series of scales and it'll sound beautiful. That's standard beauty. Real beauty? That is in the eyes of the beholder. I like my dissonances, I like my consonances, I also like when previous conceptions about what is beautiful are blown out the water, hence why I like Modernist composers so much. They take all that was theorized about beautiful music before them, and they throw it in the trash, and make a new epic beauty like never seen before (or since).  

Sir Sebastian Codswallop

Saga Shadow
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:25 pm
Can we please stop the personal attacks and off-topic posting, please? This is turning more into a debate than a discussion. Would it not be better to simply talk about music than each others' faults?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 pm
Saga Shadow
Can we please stop the personal attacks and off-topic posting, please? This is turning more into a debate than a discussion. Would it not be better to simply talk about music than each others' faults?

No one is off topic, no one is attacking a person. If you think attacking an opinion is attacking the person, then you are quite immature. Plus, we like debate and discussion in music. It's better than just circle jerking the music everyone likes. That's no fun.

And you want to talk about the music? Talk. We are all eyes (in this case).  

Sir Sebastian Codswallop

Ethereal Cereal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 pm
I fail to see how Sebastian is resorting to personal attacks. What's the problem with voicing an educated opinion with conviction in an attempt to show a person with a misconception about something where they might be wrong?

Sir Sebastian Codswallop
No one is off topic, no one is attacking a person. If you think attacking an opinion is attacking the person, then you are quite immature. Plus, we like debate and discussion in music. It's better than just circle jerking the music everyone likes. That's no fun.

And you want to talk about the music? Talk. We are all eyes (in this case).

Also, this.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:02 pm
Lady Sume
Wow. When it says "discussion", it means discussion and not "let's make personal attacks on everyone and their opinions and be jerks". Irako is trying her best to talk about the music in her honest opinion and not trying to downsize anyone else's. There is an appropriate way to say these things and there is also a completely rude way. Classical music is classical music, and r&b is r&b. So Irako likes many works before the 1900's. So what? That isn't a snooty comment in the least! It is a polite expression of opinion, and that's what music is all about. What we like and dislike is our personal taste, and you can't criticize anyone for having their opinion, especially when they let it be known politely. You can use all the dictionary entries you want, and I will still firmly believe that music is according to the ears of the person listening, and without us to hear it, it wouldn't even exist.

As for the Cakewalk thing, it's called Cakewalk because it makes it easy to point and click notes. It isn't easy to point and click so the notes sound beautiful.

HIADOUKEN!!!!!!!!1  

The Burning Furnace

Duchess Says

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:07 pm
Crimson Cherub
Lady Sume
Wow. When it says "discussion", it means discussion and not "let's make personal attacks on everyone and their opinions and be jerks". Irako is trying her best to talk about the music in her honest opinion and not trying to downsize anyone else's. There is an appropriate way to say these things and there is also a completely rude way. Classical music is classical music, and r&b is r&b. So Irako likes many works before the 1900's. So what? That isn't a snooty comment in the least! It is a polite expression of opinion, and that's what music is all about. What we like and dislike is our personal taste, and you can't criticize anyone for having their opinion, especially when they let it be known politely. You can use all the dictionary entries you want, and I will still firmly believe that music is according to the ears of the person listening, and without us to hear it, it wouldn't even exist.

HIADOUKEN!!!!!!!!1

Brilliant addition to the thread, old chap.

I stand by my original statement. Bach and Mozart were both pretty fantastic. There are some others, but no names really come to mind.

I never really cared for Beethoven.

And I'm honestly surprised this isn't locked.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:11 pm
Why are you surprised that it is not locked?  

Sir Sebastian Codswallop

The Burning Furnace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:17 pm
Rape of Lucretia
Crimson Cherub
Lady Sume

HIADOUKEN!!!!!!!!1

I stand by my original statement. Bach and Mozart were both pretty fantastic. There are some others, but no names really come to mind.

i am friend of sume, come here to fight and kill.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Sir Sebastian Codswallop

I don't know. Irako looked like she was really considering locking it for a while.  

Duchess Says

Duchess Says

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm
Crimson Cherub
Rape of Lucretia
Crimson Cherub
Lady Sume

HIADOUKEN!!!!!!!!1

i am friend of sume, come here to fight and kill.

Are you actually going to post something on topic?

If not, I'd advise leaving the thread. If you're going to spam, there's a chatterbox for that.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:29 pm
Rape of Lucretia
Sir Sebastian Codswallop

I don't know. Irako looked like she was really considering locking it for a while.

Indeed, but it shows that she has a lot of integrity that she did not lock it.  

Sir Sebastian Codswallop

Duchess Says

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:35 pm
Sir Sebastian Codswallop
Rape of Lucretia
Sir Sebastian Codswallop

I'm not going to really blame her, though. It's easy to get caught up in arguments/discussions.

Oh, and if classical-esque bands count, I recommend The Clockwork Dolls and Tin Hat Trio (well, jazz, but it's close enough) to everybody.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:38 pm
Rape of Lucretia
Sir Sebastian Codswallop
Rape of Lucretia
Sir Sebastian Codswallop

I'm not going to really blame her, though. It's easy to get caught up in arguments/discussions.

Oh, and if classical-esque bands count, I recommend The Clockwork Dolls and Tin Hat Trio (well, jazz, but it's close enough) to everybody.

Aye, to that. Especially when someone is straight up telling you that you are incorrect.

And those ones have nothing on Ekseption and Sky. cool (They're still great, though).  

Sir Sebastian Codswallop

Duchess Says

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:41 pm
Sir Sebastian Codswallop
Rape of Lucretia
Sir Sebastian Codswallop
Rape of Lucretia
Sir Sebastian Codswallop

Aye, to that. Especially when someone is straight up telling you that you are incorrect.

And those ones have nothing on Ekseption and Sky. cool (They're still great, though).

Listening now. Liking it so far.  
♪ Classical, Orchestral, Chamber, and Soundtracks

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces