Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)
History of Prejudice in your area? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:45 pm
There are people who know.
Me and around 200 other people, depending weather or not some are still underground.
12 of our Alter matrons returned to Alaska and even more came back down south.
I just can't go back to that state myself. Too many bad memories in it for me.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:08 pm
I live in Lincoln, NE. It's a predominantly Christian area, but there is a wide variety of smaller religious groups involved that balance very well, so long as you talk to the right people. It's a very pleasant place to live, for the most part--lot of Republican right and Liberal Leftists here.

People are nice enough to be polite, though it's a little restricting at times--like an election year.

As far as activities go, not much in the way of spiritual groups outside of private practice or up and coming.  

D_Marx

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:35 pm
Oborosen
Me and around 200 other people, depending weather or not some are still underground.

200 people know about this, and it was never reported? Now that's paranormal.

Incidentally, could you answer my question here, please?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:09 pm
well, i live in Texas, and had to sit at a major intersection for a good 5 minutes today, while church security let the churchgoers out, and forcing all other traffic to stop, regardless of what color the light was. i sat through 3 green lights before the damned chrisitans cleared out and the rest of the world was allowed to keep moving. Traffic was hell in all directions by then.  

redwolfshadow

Grey Jedi Knight

Lonely Phantom

16,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:18 pm
Yus this is true as a felow Nebraskin from Omaha I highly agree

D_Marx
I live in Lincoln, NE. It's a predominantly Christian area, but there is a wide variety of smaller religious groups involved that balance very well, so long as you talk to the right people. It's a very pleasant place to live, for the most part--lot of Republican right and Liberal Leftists here.

People are nice enough to be polite, though it's a little restricting at times--like an election year.

As far as activities go, not much in the way of spiritual groups outside of private practice or up and coming.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:06 pm
It's sad to see such prejudice still living so fiercely in the world today. I'm from NB, Canada (supposedly the nicest place in the world, I don't know because I haven't lived anywhere else). I don't tell a lot of people about my beliefs, unless I know that they believe similar things or are not going to judge me for my beliefs. Perhaps this has saved me a lot of trouble, because according to my sister the reason she was bullied for most of her life is because in a class presentation she told the class she was not Christian but pagan, and she has tried to commit suicide, has had things stolen and has come home with rude drawings and commentary on her binder and notebooks because of it. I would say "It's middle school, anyone who is slightly different gets bullied" and yet, it is still horrifying.
Honestly, there have been so many times when I have wanted to point something out in class and yet I have restrained myself out of fear of what my classmates - mature university students! - would think of my 'strange' beliefs (a belief in ghosts, magic, and fairies). I suppose even if I do not feel prejudice, I still fear it, and that fear is felt real enough for me.
However, for the most part, the people I do talk to about these things are still my friends and I am able to tell them these things and not feel fear because they too believe.
I'm glad to have these groups, guilds on Gaia, where we can talk freely to those with similar beliefs without prejudice, without fear. Thank you all for being here!

Mistreena

Jokoria17

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:29 pm
Well, I don't have do deal with much else other than funny looks in regards to religion.

Oh...but race...it's not as bad, not NEARLY as bad as the hick county I used to live in when 9/11 came around (I'm Indian, me and my family all look VERY much middle eastern, and that led to crap. A lot of crap)

However, there was this one persistant lunch lady at school who could never seem to get it though her head that I, as a Thelemite, can eat meat. No, she assumed that as an Indian I -automatically- was a vegan. It's ok the first time around, but when it becomes persistant, I get ticked. Here's how it happened.

*people waiting behind me as I'm in line* *I point*

Me: Hey, what's that thing?
Lady: Oh, a chicken empanada.
Me: Cool. I'll have one.
Lady: Uh...you sure? It's got chicken in it...
Me: Yes. I know. I'd like one.
Lady: But it's got chicken in it.
Me thinking: No s**t. That's why I want it.
Me: Yes. I want the chicken.
Lady: *hands me the chicken*  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:13 pm
I'm in Eugene Oregon. Recently (within the last three or four years) there have been at least two churches vandalized/broken into with at least one of those times Swastikas being left behind. The churches were jewish.

There is also white pride groups that meet on the Univeristy of Oregon's campus on a regular basis though I haven't heard anything specifcially bad against them. There are a lot of "skin heads" and other such groups up in Portland I've heard.  

J. Dragonhater

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:36 pm
Mitsh
Oborosen

200 people know about this, and it was never reported? Now that's paranormal.

Incidentally, could you answer my question here, please?

ya know, it could be that it's the people in town who know and don't care, and the media never got to even learn about it. it happens sometimes, stories never getting to reach the media. i'm certain if they got it theyw ould have jumped on it, but fact of the matter is that stories like this have a surprising tendency to avoid airing on the news. a number of friends and lovers of mine have been the victims of attempted witch burnings or stone throwings. my girlfriend was barely rescued from being set aflame on a basketball hoop in highschool. my ex-girlfriend's gay friend was chased by his fellow youth-group mates who wanted to crucify him.  
The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games