Magic Lover

15,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:37 pm
Allegro
[Kegan]
ITT people didn't read the post where I said WHY arcades disappeared.

I should really have asked why they became a stagnant industry, which doesn't ever make new s**t.
And my answer still stands. Once companies saw that you could get the same arcade experience on Linked consoles, AKA you didn't have to leave your house for you and your friends to play, it was easiest to just pull out of the fight.

well I did say, home consoles killed the arcade star  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:40 pm
Owwin

"People who post in the Twilight threads are stupid."
Well, you see that makes the specification of which people. I made the specification of which thread. I can understand, though.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

CYBERPUNK PANDA

Ursine Lunatic

16,075 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:27 am

I lived off of arcades if I wasn't running around with my friends and playing home consoles with them.

There's pockets of arcades left here and there. Personally if I ever acquire money I may just open up a small arcade/gaming/otaku/music store.

Arcades Machines are scarce, not to mention any good ones.
That's is because, sadly things can break down and people don't feel a need to order new parts. Collectors come in and buy em when shops close down. Some shopkeeps horde em for themselves.

In addition though, with what people can do nowadays is build their own stuff. I recall a chap in the next town over telling me he built one that has over a thousand games in it.
(so more or less emulation is needed)They still sell brand new parts and blank cabinets. Shell out a couple hundred slap the stuff together and it's yours to play and let others play with.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:19 am
There's an arcade in my mall, but there is literally never anyone in there. I went in there once b/c I like the racing games, but the games take coins. So you have to go to this machine and put quarters in it to get coins, but when I did it just gave me my quarters back. crying I didn't get to play.  

eveejoystar

Invisible Poster

6,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:27 am
Probably when arcade machines started being money-grubbing whores.

One dollar for a credit in a light gun game? No thanks.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:44 am
I wish arcades would come back. Gaming is really popular these days thanks to Nintendo, surely there isn't a better time for arcades to make a comeback? Anyway, I remember playing in a couple arcades a couple of times when I was younger. Then I was disappointed to see them closed down just when I was really getting into gaming. These days it would be great if I could just go out to the arcade with some friends and be sociable rather than being confined to the home to play video games. I guess it's just bowling for now.  

Super Cheesio

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:58 am
Allegro
[Kegan]
ITT people didn't read the post where I said WHY arcades disappeared.

I should really have asked why they became a stagnant industry, which doesn't ever make new s**t.
And my answer still stands. Once companies saw that you could get the same arcade experience on Linked consoles, AKA you didn't have to leave your house for you and your friends to play, it was easiest to just pull out of the fight.
LAN Parties killed arcade games? No way. Arcades just died and since then people have been wary to get new arcade games because they won't get enough people to buy into it. People are happy with their handhelds and home consoles for the most part, and arcade machines just can't get the same draw that they used to.

If anything, it was likely that a lot of arcade games that came out were bad. With something like that, you don't read a review or have much prior knowledge to it. Back "in the day" there was Street Fighter II, Space Invaders, Ms. Pac-Man, and everyone loved them and everyone knew they were great. It was like the whole world was playing the games and it was something you could sit around and talk about, and then if you had the itching to play it, you would go play it. It was a social thing, it was a public thing, but it's just died so companies just don't really even try anymore. There still are some decent arcade games out there, but they're mostly from yesteryear.

Except Mario Kart GP. MMMMMM  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:58 am
There used to be an arcade in the local mall about 5 or 6 years ago and was doing pretty good thanks to all the people who went there whenever they could. But it got closed for whatever reason, and got turned into some ballerina supply store. That got closed, then turned into a furniture store, which is also now closed.  

MaverickDrifter

BleuP

Sugary Wife

17,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:34 pm
There's an arcade across from my school. 8D I don't go there often, but it's in amazing shape. They keep updated with new machines and even fix the broken ones.
They also have bowling, laser tag, and billiards...
(Caramel should know what I'm talking about. She went to my school. x3)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:56 pm
We had one in West Edmonton Mall until all those f*****t scene kids got the place shut down because they used it as a huge spot for drug dealing. D<

Reg, it's that Circuit Circus or something like that. I dunno, it was by Ed's and the cheap theater in the food court.

problematic briefcase

O.G. Sex Symbol

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:23 am
THIS was my all-time favorite arcade game as a child.

I hardly see it anywhere anymore...it's rather sad, really.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:48 pm
digi734
There used to be an arcade in the local mall about 5 or 6 years ago and was doing pretty good thanks to all the people who went there whenever they could. But it got closed for whatever reason, and got turned into some ballerina supply store. That got closed, then turned into a furniture store, which is also now closed.
ten bucks says that they turn it into a walmart or a Starbucks.

Yeah, I wish that they would bring back arcades, simply for the nostalgic purposes. And the fact that I've never been to one. I've been to really rigged machines at truck stops, but that's about it.  

GrowingDandelion

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Junior 100

MaverickDrifter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:02 pm
GrowingDandelion
digi734
ten bucks says that they turn it into a walmart or a Starbucks.

Yeah, I wish that they would bring back arcades, simply for the nostalgic purposes. And the fact that I've never been to one. I've been to really rigged machines at truck stops, but that's about it.
P-shaaaw. They'll make it a new clothes department or some novelty shop.

But I do wish an arcade company could buy that empty building. Or they could buy this other building on the first floor that used to be a Borders but was closed since there was a much larger onee only a few blocks away. Maybe the location could give them a better chance.  
Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff