Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
amusing atheist comic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MinaTheRomanticNeko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:41 pm
I dont know about this comic. I'm a real hippie when it comes to things like this. whee I'm not opposed to Christianity. I think that people who bestow thier faith in a religion are looking for something spiritual to depend on. That's fine by me, unless they start preaching to me about how being an Atheist is wrong. Then I'll REALLY get into it. They can think what they want, as long as it doesn't cause any problems for me. And as for how they treated the 'rapist' better than they treated the Atheist, it's definatly an exaggeration, but it's sad how some religious people can only judge one another by thier faith. Wierd. neutral  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:12 pm
So frikin' familiar....they look me with that face...with the face of "oh-my-good-you filthy-atheist"....
Oh...the discrimination can be so cruel some times xp  

Kiaori Moon Warrior

Combative Gaian

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:58 pm
*snickers* That was brilliant.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:09 pm
I'm only opposed to Christianity when it's shoved in my face.
Though, that comic was still quite funny.  

LDC Fomalhaut

HellMary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:23 pm
Yeah thats life.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:56 pm
a mirror of real life.
gotta love the bible belt! rolleyes

though in all seriousness, people here would be calling the news stations to get the rapist removed from the neighborhood before trying to alienate the atheists, comic is still funny though.  

decaZetta

Syrenka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:31 am
Reminds me of my stepmom. I told her that Hitler was an atheist, although I wasn't quite sure of the facts, just because I wanted to see her reaction. She replied with, "Of course! He'd have to be an atheist to do what he did!" Which really pissed me off. I refused to grace such a comment with a reply.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:00 pm
I can see that happening.

Especially if I told my aunts.

They'd disown me and cling tighter to my christian cousins.  

Pistil

Lesilrok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:26 pm
c a u s t i c
I get the point and understand the use of exaggeration in a comic, but that said, the portrayal of the christians in that is still a negative stereotype too.

That reminds me of a philisophical article I read in a book about stereotypes:

What people fail to consider is that if our race, gender, social status, and religion really make impartial assessment of evidence impossible, how can we ever be confident that the evidence shows that race, gender, social status, and religion actually distort our thinking? Similarly, if we are all so biased, how can we claim that we ought to be tolerant, argue that we ought to respect diversity, or, indeed, defend any social or political goal at all? Accordingly, although we certainly do need to be aware of biases that may taint our evaluations, asserting that such biases are so pervasive and inescapable that they make objectivity impossible undercuts the very possibility of having reasons for our opinions at all including reasons for thinking that we are all biased.

I am actually glad that I am not the only who saw this stereotype and I just wanted to share this with everyone on this board.

To miss caustic, I take my hat off for you wink  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:49 am
thats true  

idiotic randomness

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:12 am
You might say there is a bit of a stereotype in there(against christians) but I do wonder if the author is trying to make a logos(logical) appeal.

At first glance it is mildly amusing...but look deeper. I don't think that comic is meant to be stereotypical or insulting. I think it is trying to appeal to logic.

Logically those people are fine, because they work, take care of thier children, and donate thier time to the community. Being athiest doesn't make them at all bad.

Now the reaction of the people in that comic is illogical compared to what happens in the next picture. I don't think it was meant as a stereotype that "All Christians are like that"...I think it is meant to make a person think "Logically those two athiests are good people." Then the Hmmm...factor comes in to make the reader think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:54 pm
shinobikun
What people fail to consider is that if our race, gender, social status, and religion really make impartial assessment of evidence impossible, how can we ever be confident that the evidence shows that race, gender, social status, and religion actually distort our thinking? Similarly, if we are all so biased, how can we claim that we ought to be tolerant, argue that we ought to respect diversity, or, indeed, defend any social or political goal at all? Accordingly, although we certainly do need to be aware of biases that may taint our evaluations, asserting that such biases are so pervasive and inescapable that they make objectivity impossible undercuts the very possibility of having reasons for our opinions at all including reasons for thinking that we are all biased.

Well, duh! Think about this: what do you think about when you see a flower? You think about its color, its shape, and its smell (generally). What about all that you aren't asking? You don't give a hoot, initially, about its health, its age, its nourishment, or its adaptations. All of these things are in plain sight, but human perception is geared to certain things.

The same goes for people. You look at race, gender, social status, and religion, instead of character, history, morals, and attitudes. One is as apparent as the other, but humans, for whatever reason, default to noticing those less relevant details.  

DivideByZero14

Phoebos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:56 pm
Superior Jazz
Oh, how the truth hurts.

Dude, you have the best signature ever.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:56 am
Satan is my b***h
Huh not true here. Actually I've gotten most of my friends to be atheist with me. It seems the majority of people are atheist or agnostic in my group of friends.

I wish I had that luxury. 4 very good friends' names:

Christopher
Christina
George Solomon (Solomon's his middle name)

stressed  

Rev Shrubbery

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:35 pm
[therapeutic morbidity]
Reminds me of my stepmom. I told her that Hitler was an atheist, although I wasn't quite sure of the facts, just because I wanted to see her reaction. She replied with, "Of course! He'd have to be an atheist to do what he did!" Which really pissed me off. I refused to grace such a comment with a reply.
Hitler was Catholic.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces