Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CrimsonsDecayingRose
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 am
Hizou-14
ok so this is what i heard from my dad.
a young boy named Yeng is poor. One day, he goes out to a forest, and he sees this white tiger with nine eyes. Yeng was scared. Anyways, the tiger asked him if he wanted any wishes. He would grant them in exchange for life..So he wishes to be rich.. The tiger tells him to go back home.So he does, and bam! Alot of gold on his bed. Next day, he comes and thanks the tiger and he says" i do not have a life to give away, but please be patient."
Tiger says" Little boy, i will grant you a wish if i can eat your parents up."
Yeng was NOT dumb, but he made a wish for something.Tiger granted it and told him to bring his parents for him to eat. Next day, he comes without his parents and thnks him again.
" i am sorry, Nine Eyes Tiger, but my parents left without me yesterday. So you will not eat my parents" said Yeng.

OF cours the tiger said" i will grant you a wife, but when you have children, i will take them instead." Yeng did not approve of this but the tiger granted it anyways. Yeng eventually found a girl and grew up to have 2 sons and a daughter. He brings a knife and says" Thank you, but we need food now."
Tiger says" your children has grown but they are not here. if you want food, you will need to kill me."
tiger got mad of Yeng's excuses, and of course, yeng killed him and brought the nine eyed tiger home to his family, and sold some of the tiger's part for a fortune.

Hey, this folktale is in another Asian culture! i just cannot recall if it is from Korean or Chinese..... i read it recently..was it in a book or online...idr... sad i'm 97% sure it was the Chinese culture...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:16 am
CrimsonsDecayingRose
Hizou-14
a young boy named Yeng is poor. One day, he goes out to a forest, and he sees this white tiger with nine eyes. Yeng was scared. Anyways, the tiger asked him if he wanted any wishes. He would grant them in exchange for life..So he wishes to be rich.. The tiger tells him to go back home.So he does, and bam! Alot of gold on his bed. Next day, he comes and thanks the tiger and he says" i do not have a life to give away, but please be patient."
Yeng was NOT dumb, but he made a wish for something.Tiger granted it and told him to bring his parents for him to eat. Next day, he comes without his parents and thnks him again.
" i am sorry, Nine Eyes Tiger, but my parents left without me yesterday. So you will not eat my parents" said Yeng.

OF cours the tiger said" i will grant you a wife, but when you have children, i will take them instead." Yeng did not approve of this but the tiger granted it anyways. Yeng eventually found a girl and grew up to have 2 sons and a daughter. He brings a knife and says" Thank you, but we need food now."
Tiger says" your children has grown but they are not here. if you want food, you will need to kill me."
tiger got mad of Yeng's excuses, and of course, yeng killed him and brought the nine eyed tiger home to his family, and sold some of the tiger's part for a fortune.

Hey, this folktale is in another Asian culture! i just cannot recall if it is from Korean or Chinese..... i read it recently..was it in a book or online...idr... sad i'm 97% sure it was the Chinese culture...

it was chinese i think. i dont know. my dad told me this story late at night when i was likke 10. so yea.. i think it is chinese culture.  

Hizou_Chan

Shadowy Phantom

14,925 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Mahikokatoru

Invisible Rogue

12,725 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:34 pm
pug!!! tau ub ob!!!! -end- (hope i spelled it right sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:43 pm
oh really. So far in the shogun history that Japanese heirs are supposed to married their wealth or distant cousins or other stuff to expand the increase of the military forces and well building bigger nations.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

CrimsonsDecayingRose
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:38 pm
Hizou-14
CrimsonsDecayingRose
Hizou-14

it was chinese i think. i dont know. my dad told me this story late at night when i was likke 10. so yea.. i think it is chinese culture.

Ah. i've been reading *so* much (perhaps too mcuh?) recently that i can't keep things straight. Dx i think i read it in "1421" a 500 page book. D= Fortunatly i've read only 100 pages, so if i can find it, i'll let you know. :p  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:44 pm
CrimsonsDecayingRose
Hizou-14
CrimsonsDecayingRose
Hizou-14

Ah. i've been reading *so* much (perhaps too mcuh?) recently that i can't keep things straight. Dx i think i read it in "1421" a 500 page book. D= Fortunatly i've read only 100 pages, so if i can find it, i'll let you know. :p
ok. that'd be great. ^^ wow ur relly into reading. i'd go to 100 pages after like a year.  

Hizou_Chan

Shadowy Phantom

14,925 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:17 pm
Okay very interesting.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:21 pm
This is another story i heard from my dad.
There was a hmong man who could do magic and married this one chinese woman. They lived in China, and he was king. He was a great king. Then , people denied his magic. So one day, since he loved his wife so much, he gave her his heart and died. I heard this story when i was ten...so like 4 years ago. I have brain damage so i cant remember so much of the story.  

Hizou_Chan

Shadowy Phantom

14,925 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200

silver_avenger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:41 pm
Well, just to let you guys know, apparently we have our own variation of the tale of the heavely maiden who gets her clothes taken from her by a man so she can become his wife. This story is well known through out Asia and has been made into adpatations like the film The Peacock Princess Namununa or the manhwa Faerie's Landing.

This is the one my mom told me:
A long time ago there was an orphan boy who desired a wife. So he went to go ask the wise man. The wise man then told him of the heavenly maidens who would come down to earth to bathe. In order to get one to stay on earth, he would have to take their wings (that would be their clothing, but it this version it's wings). He also warned that if a maiden happened to find their wings gone, they will scare you in order to get it back and you will have to stand your ground until they gave up. So orphan boy did as the wise man instructed and took one of the heavenly maiden's wings.

Realizing that her wings were gone, she went and sought out the orphan boy to retrieve her wings. But he refused to give it back. So she then turned herself into a giant bird the size of chicken. "Are you scared?" she asked. "No I'm not", said the orphan boy. She then transformed to the size of a house and asked once again. Again he replied no. She then went to the size of a giant tree. Being so huge, the orphan boy was frightened and gave back her wings.

The next day, he tried again and took another maiden's wings. Once again the same thing happened but this time he stood his ground even when she transformed into the size of a mountain. So in the end, she became his wife and a few years later had three children. Everyday while his wife went to work in the fields, Orphan Boy stayed to watch over the children. Whenever the children were rowdy or cried, he took his wife's hidden wings, put them, and fly around the house to entertain the children.

Then one day, it was Orphan Boy's turn to go work in the fields and his wife stayed home to watch over the children. The children were so rowdy and cried all the time. Frustrated their mother said, "Why is it that when I watch over you that you fuss and cry all the time? How does your father get you to stop crying?" The children then told her of how their father would put on wings and fly around the house to make them laugh. "Show me!" said their mother and they took her to where her wings were hidden. Once she found them, she immediately put them on and flew straight out the door, back to her heavenly home. When Orphan Boy came back home from work, he found the children crying and alone. He asked them what happened and they told him of how they showed their mother where the wings were hidden and now their mother was gone, never to return again.

The end.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:21 pm
And for old time sake, the story of Tub Ntsuag and Niam Nkauj Zuag Paj.

(Zuag Paj literally means Flower Comb, don't know if that should be her name in English. As for the other character Niam Nkauj Kub Kaws is supposed to resemble a toad due to have warts all over her face.)

There are many versions of how Orphan Boy met Zuag Paj. One version was that he asked the wise man how to get a wife. The wise man told him to wait by the road for 3 sisters riding on horses to come by. When they do then he will take the 3rd sister as his wife. Another version was that Orphan Boy was very poor and went to cry by a lake. Zuag Paj in this version was the daughter of a dragon that lived in the lake. She took pity on him and decided to become his wife and love him.

Zuag Paj had magical powers, turning her jewelry and ornaments into a house and other objects. She and Orphan Boy lived a happy life together.
But Niam Nkauj Kub Kaws, an ugly, warty, toad-like woman was envious and jealous of Orphan Boy and Zuag Paj's happy life, so she decided to ruin their life for her own satisfaction. So one day, she transformed herself into a beautiful woman and went to go talk to Orphan Boy, telling him that his wife is really a monster in disguise and drinks blood. She also told him that he will be better of married to her instead.

i don't really remember how, but Niam Nkauj Kub Kaws was able to convince Orphan Boy to leave Zuag Paj. He then cast her out of their home and forced her back to the lake. She then went little by little into the lake, begging Orphan Boy to let her come back to him. "Orphan Boy, the water has reached my ankles. Please let me come back," she cried. Orphan Boy refused to let her back. Deeper she went in, "Orphan Boy, the water has reached my knees, please let me come back. Again he refused. "Orphan Boy, the water has reached my waist, please let me come back." Once again another refusal. "Orphan Boy, the water has reached my shoulders, please let me come back." Another refusal. "Orphan Boy, the water has reached my neck, for one last time, please let me come back." And he refused again. Then she was gone, deep in the lake.

When Orphan Boy went back home, he found that everything he had was gone and finally realized Niam Nkauj Kub Kaws's treachery. He went running back to the lake, crying and begging for Niam Nkauj Zuag Paj to come back to him and that he was sorry. For days, he stayed by the lake waiting for her return, but there was no sign of her. And then one day, a frog, who felt sorry for Orphan Boy decided to help him see his wife again. "I will suck out all of the water out of the lake, that way you can see your wife," said the frog. "But you must never laugh, no matter how large I get." The Orphan Boy promised and the frog began to drink the water from the lake. The frog grew larger and larger as he drained the water from the lake. Soon Orphan Boy was able to see a little bit of Zuag Paj. But as the frog grew larger, he looked more ridiculous. Not able to contain himself, Orphan Boy laughed at the frog and the frog's stomach exploded, all of the water he drained flowed back into the lake.

Orphan Boy cried and begged for the frog to try one more time. The frog agreed but said that if his stomach explodes one more time, he won't help him anymore. After sewing up the frog's stomach, the frog drained up all of the water in the lake and in the lake was Zuag Paj. Orphan Boy jumped into the lake to get back Zuag Paj. Once he got to her, she told him that she can no longer be with him, for her father had given her to be wedded to Sky Prince and he will come and get her in a few days. He cried and begged for her to come back with him and apologized for his foolishness.

She then told him that the only way for him to get her back was to place 9 giant jars in a straight row and filled them to the top with water. When she and the Sky Prince fly over the jars, he has to catch her reflection in the jars. He did as she said but was tired and decided to rest. The Sky Prince then came to pick her up and they flew on his horse to his home. Zuag Paj noticed that Orphan Boy was sleeping and was missing his opportunity to get her back. She cried out, "Wake up Orphan Boy! If you don't then we shall never be together again!" Immediately he woke and tried to catch her reflection one jar after the other but they were already ahead of him.

This is where I stop the story for there are many different endings, One says that he and Zuag Paj never get back together again while others have different ways of Orphan Boy knocking Zuag Paj off the Sky Prince's horse and reuniting with her. I'll let you decide which version you want for the ending.  

silver_avenger

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:56 pm
Wow that story was long and very complex.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:08 pm
The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter

Princess Kaguya" redirects here. For other uses, see Kaguya (disambiguation).

The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter (竹取物語 Taketori Monogatari?), also known as Princess Kaguya (かぐや姫 Kaguya Hime?, 赫映姫), is a 10th century Japanese folktale. It is considered the oldest extant Japanese narrative[1][2] and an early example of proto-science fiction.[3]

It primarily details the life of a mysterious girl called Kaguya-hime, who was discovered as a baby inside the stalk of a glowing bamboo plant. She is said to be from Tsuki-no-Miyako (月の都 "The Capital of the Moon") and has unusual hair that shines like the moon.

One day, while walking in the bamboo forest, an old, childless bamboo cutter called Taketori no Okina (竹取翁?, "the Old Man who Harvests Bamboo") came across a mysterious, shining stalk of bamboo. After cutting it open, he found inside it a baby the size of his thumb. He rejoiced to find such a beautiful girl and took her home. He and his wife raised her as their own child and named her Kaguya-hime (かぐや姫 "radiant-night princess"). Thereafter, Taketori no Okina found that whenever he cut down a stalk of bamboo, inside he found a small nugget of gold. Soon he became rich, and Kaguya-hime grew from a small baby into a woman of ordinary size and extraordinary beauty. At first, Taketori no Okina tried to keep her away from outsiders, but over time the news of her beauty had spread.

Eventually, five princes came to Taketori no Okina's residence to ask for Kaguya-hime's hand in marriage. The princes eventually persuaded Taketori no Okina to tell a reluctant Kaguya-hime to choose one from among them. To this end, Kaguya-hime concocted impossible tasks for the princes to accomplish. She would agree to marry the prince who managed to bring her a specified item.

That night, Taketori no Okina told the five princes what each of them must bring. The first was told to bring her the stone begging bowl of the Buddha from India. The second was told to retrieve a jewelled branch from the island of Hōrai.[4] The third was told to seek the legendary robe of the fire-rat of China. The fourth must retrieve a colored jewel from a dragon's neck. The final prince was told to find the cowrie which was born from swallows.

Realizing that it was an impossible task, the first prince returned with an expensive bowl, but after noticing that the bowl did not glow with holy light, Kaguya-hime saw through his deception. Likewise, two other princes attempted to deceive her with fakes, but also failed. The fourth gave up after encountering a storm, while the final prince lost his life in his attempt to retrieve the object.

After this, the Emperor of Japan, Mikado, came to see the strangely beautiful Kaguya-hime and, upon falling in love, asked her to marry him. Although he was not subjected to the impossible trials that thwarted the princes, Kaguya-hime rejected his request for marriage as well, telling him that she was not of his country and thus could not go to the palace with him. She stayed in contact with the Emperor, but continued to rebuff his requests.

That summer, whenever Kaguya-hime saw the full moon, her eyes filled with tears. Though her adoptive parents worried greatly and questioned her, she was unable to tell them what was wrong. Her behaviour became increasingly erratic until she revealed that she was not of this world and must return to her people on the Moon. In some versions of this tale, it is said that she was sent to the Earth as a temporary punishment for some crime, while others say it is because she was sent to earth for safety during a celestial war.
Kaguya-hime goes back to the Moon

As the day of her return approached, the Emperor set many guards around her house to protect her from the Moon people, but when an embassy of "Heavenly Beings" arrived at the door of Taketori no Okina's house, the many guards were blinded by a strange light. Kaguya-hime announced that, though she loves her many friends on Earth, she must return with the Moon people to her true home. She wrote sad notes of apology to her parents and to the Emperor, then gave her parents her own robe as a memento. She then took a small taste of the elixir of life, attached it to her letter to the Emperor, and gave it to a guard officer. As she handed it to him, the feather robe was placed on her shoulders, and all of her sadness and compassion for the people of the Earth were forgotten. The heavenly entourage took Kaguya-hime back to Tsuki-no-Miyako ("the Capital of the Moon") leaving her earthly foster parents in tears.

The parents became very sad and were soon put to bed sick. The guard officer returned to the Emperor with the items Kaguya-hime had given him as her last mortal act, and reported what had happened. The Emperor read her letter and was overcome with sadness. He asked his servants: "Which mountain is the closest place to Heaven?", to which one replied that the Great Mountain of Suruga Province is the closest place to Heaven. The Emperor ordered his men to take the letter to the summit of the mountain and burn it, with the hope that his message would reach the distant princess. The men were also commanded to burn the elixir of immortality since the Emperor did not desire to live forever without being able to see her. The legend has it that the word immortality (不死 fushi?, or fuji) became the name of the mountain, Mount Fuji. It is also said that the kanji for the mountain, 富士山 (literally "Mountain Abounding with Warriors"), is derived from the Emperor's army ascending the slopes of the mountain to carry out his order. It is said that the smoke from the burning still rises to this day. (In the past, Mount Fuji was much more volcanically active than today.)
[edit] Literary connections

Elements of the tale were drawn from earlier stories. The protagonist Taketori no Okina, given by name, appears in the earlier poetry collection Man'yōshū (c. 759; poem# 3791). In it, he meets a group of women to whom he recites a poem. This indicates that there previously existed an image or tale revolving around a bamboo cutter and celestial or mystical women.[5][6]

A similar retelling of the tale appears in the c. 12th century Konjaku Monogatarishū (volume 31, chapter 33), although their relation is under debate.[7]

There have been suggestions that The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter is adapted from the Chinese legend Chang'e[citation needed] and is related to the tale of Swan Lake[citation needed]. This probably is due to Kaguya-hime wearing the hagoromo (羽衣 "feather robe") when she ascends to her homeland. But the hagoromo figures more famously in a group of tales known as the hagoromo densetsu (in one example recorded in the Ōmi-no-kuni Fudoki tells of a man who instructs his dog to steal the hagoromo of eight heavenly maidens while they were bathing, forcing one of them to become his bride). And the latter is remarkably similar to the tale of the Chinese traditional Magpie Festival legend of the Fairy Couple. also similar to the story of how Völundr Smith and his brothers wedded the swan-maidens.
[edit] Banzhu Guniang

In 1957, Jinyu Fenghuang (金玉凤凰), a Chinese book of Tibetan tales, was published.[8] In early 1970s, Japanese literary researchers became aware that "Banzhu Guniang" (班竹姑娘), one of the tales in the book, had certain similarities with The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.[9][10] Initially, many researchers thought that "Banzhu Guniang" must be related to Tale of Bamboo Cutter, although some were skeptical.
Elements of the tale were drawn from earlier stories. The protagonist Taketori no Okina, given by name, appears in the earlier poetry collection Man'yōshū (c. 759; poem# 3791). In it, he meets a group of women to whom he recites a poem. This indicates that there previously existed an image or tale revolving around a bamboo cutter and celestial or mystical women.[5][6]

A similar retelling of the tale appears in the c. 12th century Konjaku Monogatarishū (volume 31, chapter 33), although their relation is under debate.[7]

There have been suggestions that The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter is adapted from the Chinese legend Chang'e[citation needed] and is related to the tale of Swan Lake[citation needed]. This probably is due to Kaguya-hime wearing the hagoromo (羽衣 "feather robe") when she ascends to her homeland. But the hagoromo figures more famously in a group of tales known as the hagoromo densetsu (in one example recorded in the Ōmi-no-kuni Fudoki tells of a man who instructs his dog to steal the hagoromo of eight heavenly maidens while they were bathing, forcing one of them to become his bride). And the latter is remarkably similar to the tale of the Chinese traditional Magpie Festival legend of the Fairy Couple. also similar to the story of how Völundr Smith and his brothers wedded the swan-maidens.
[edit] Banzhu Guniang

In 1957, Jinyu Fenghuang (金玉凤凰), a Chinese book of Tibetan tales, was published.[8] In early 1970s, Japanese literary researchers became aware that "Banzhu Guniang" (班竹姑娘), one of the tales in the book, had certain similarities with The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.[9][10] Initially, many researchers thought that "Banzhu Guniang" must be related to Tale of Bamboo Cutter, although some were skeptical.

In 1980s, studies showed that the relationship is not as simple as initially thought. Okutsu[11] provides extensive review of the research, and notes that the book Jinyu Fenghuang was intended to be for children, and as such, the editor took some liberties in adapting the tales. No other compilation of Tibetan tales contains the story.[11]

A Tibet-born person wrote that he did not know the story.[12] A researcher went to Sichuan and found that, apart from those who had already read "Jinyu Fenghuang", local researchers in Chengdu did not know the story.[13] Tibetan informants in Aba did not know the story either.[13]
[edit] Adaptations  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:01 pm
that story still exist and true fact.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:15 am
wow these stories are loooooooong  

yes i know im sexy

Kawaii Sex Symbol

10,800 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:07 pm
Yes they are long but it has good background history.  
Nyob zoo! Hmong People Unite! Have fun! ^_^

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff