Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:58 am
Shanna66
VK Fox
Shanna66
i meant that i believe the main point of the bible is true, christ is with us and he died so we could be forgiven for our sins. but with some of the details im a bit more shaky about. misinterperating just a small word can alter the meaning of an entire sentance.

there are many things that i do believe are truth and there are some things that i believe were added in for the convenience of man

What methods do you use to determine between the two?

i just go with what my gut tells me. im im wrong then im sure god will let me know at some point either in my life or after i die

Shanna, gut feelings can be very, very useful. They've helped me out on multiple occasions.

But let me ask you something.

When you get these gut feelings, do they ever occur after prayer? Do you ever pray for God's guidance when you have these gut feelings? Satan can use those same feelings to steer you away from God. Never underestimate the power of Satan or his evil minions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:02 pm
i get those gut feelings either after or during praying

@vk
my gut feeling have never gotten me into trouble or proved me wrong before. i see no reason to doubt them now  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:06 pm
Shanna66
i get those gut feelings either after or during praying

@vk
my gut feeling have never gotten me into trouble or proved me wrong before. i see no reason to doubt them now

But what if they eventually do lead you astray?
Let's use a different example.

Suppose I shoot up drugs. I have yet to be caught, and every time I do them I never even get close to getting caught. So I see no reason to believe I'll get caught.

It doesn't mean that I won't eventually get caught. In fact, I probably will.

Eventually those gut feelings will lead you astray.

Always pray, Shanna. Be mindful of your feelings and make sure that they are Godly. If you are unsure, pray. Ask God. Talk to Him. He's always ready and willing to talk with you.

Because your feelings are flawed. I hate saying that, but it's true. My feelings are flawed too. Which is why we need to make sure we have God's guidance. Don't forget that Satan can make things seem like they're from God when they're not.

I just want you to be careful. Make sure you put the Lord's guidance before your own feelings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:10 pm
i try to. if i am given a reason not to trust my gut then i will no longer trust it.  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:18 pm
i just wanted to add that if im comming off as rude i dont mean to, i am very grateful for your concerns vk and scarlet. i know that you both just want whats best for me ^.^  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:21 pm
Shanna66
i just wanted to add that if im comming off as rude i dont mean to, i am very grateful for your concerns vk and scarlet. i know that you both just want whats best for me ^.^

Nah. You're not coming off as rude. At least, I don't think so.

heart

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm
thanks. i know i have a bad habit of getting too defensive sometimes though sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:22 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
wishboxx
I believe in order to be a Christian, one must believe in Jesus Christ and do good things in the name of the Lord. I'm a Christian, but I just converted earlier this year. Prior to that, I knew nothing about Christianity. I'm still learning, but there's a lot that I don't know. For instance, I'm not sure what the modern revelation is or closed canon or things like that. I don't think one needs to know these things in order to be a Christian, but I do think that they need to make the effort to learn and be willing to educate themselves on Christianity.

Just this year?! Wow!

Welcome to the family, Wish. ^_^ heart

We have cake, cookies, and pudding!
Darkness only has cookies. I think we win. razz

Chu forgot that we also has Sushi whee
*ish wishing he had sushi to eat*

But yes, welcome

Hizuma the Troublesome

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:21 am
Scarlet_Teardrops

This problem was settled a long time ago in one of the Councils of Nicaea.

It is called The Apostle's Creed. I posted it in a thread some time ago. I believe that The Apostle's Creed is a list of beliefs necessary to be a Christian. Here's a link.

The Apostle's Creed (PLEASE NOTE: Jesus descending into hell is part of certain theological doctrines and is not a required belief; also note that Catholic in the Apostle's Creed is not referring to the Catholic church we know today, but rather the universal Church, also known as the Body of Christ)

As you know, Shadow, The Apostle's Creed says nothing on any of the questions you asked.
I have read about the Apostles Creed, but haven't really had a whole lot of time to sit and read through it. I have a belief that Christ did decend to hell. Sheol is the Hebrew word for hell, and it was a temporary dwelling place, the spirit realm. He had to go there, to teach to those who have already died before His coming that way they had the opportunity to hear the gospel and accept Him too. There is a reference verse in one of the Peter Epistles that talks about what I am refering to. I will have to look it up and post it.

Quote:
Do you have to believe the Bible is inerrant? No, though if you believe the Bible has false parts in it, you should logically begin to question if anything in the Bible is true at all. And furthermore, how do you determine what is truth and fact? Based on what you think is right? On evidence?

It's not that I am saying God spoke any thing false or lied or contradicted Himself when He revealed the the things in the Bible...I just know that God never physically wrote any word of the Bible, man did, and because man is not perfect, there is bound to be errors. Whether those errors were added into the mauscripts intentionally or by accident, we may never know. Also there is no such thing as a perfect translation, it simply does not happen. So therefore the biblical translation is not correct in a lot of areas. Also, we have to take into account the massive amounts of things added, taken away, corrected, missing, etc. I don't deny that doctrine is some what clear, I say this because I dont look at the Bible as the Be all end all authority when it comes to scripture...

Quote:
Do you have to believe in the Trinity? No. I do, though.
A lot of Christians do. I won't debate with you about it here sweatdrop Though I found out that my mom, who is protestant, believest that Heaven Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are three separate and distinct beings (she views the Godhead the same way I do), but she calls it the trinity still, because she says they are united in thought and purpose, which is also how I view it.

Quote:
Do you have to believe that the Bible is the complete word of God? Well, yes and no. You should believe that the Bible is the Word of God. Whether that be God-breathed or inspired. Otherwise it's just a book. What's the point of that? But is the Bible the only Word of God? No.
Of course I believe the Bible is the word of God. I just don't think it was meant to be the only revealed scripture that God gave us.

Quote:
Yes, you can believe in modern revelation and it would be silly not to.
3nodding

Quote:
The canons were determined by councils to help protect Christians from false beliefs and the gnostic gospels. The canon doesn't necessarily have to be closed. In fact, if there's modern revelation I'd say that it can't possibly be closed. But we must be VERY wary of what is truth from modern-day prophets and what is totally fake.
That is why we are told to test the spirits and by their fruits ye shall know them. All the modern revelation that I call scripture is in no way contradictory to all the past revelation that has been revealed through the prophets.

Quote:
When it comes to different canons, I still don't see much of a problem. Canons don't differ that greatly in all honesty. Some books are taken out or added in depending on the canon, but that doesn't change the Bible too much overall.

Agreed

Quote:
It's one thing to talk the talk. It's another to walk the walk. Christians, true Christians, walk the walk.

Agreed

Quote:
Yes, you can believe there are living prophets today. Lol.
I asked this question because I was thinking that if God has had prophets all through out history as His mouthpieces, why in these last days, would He not have one now? What would make us so much more special than those in times past?

Quote:
It's amazing how debilitating Christian beliefs are today, and to Christianity!
Well there are just so many different doctrines out there that one on cannot help be a little confused at times.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:40 pm
to the OP, Shadows-shine, I am told all the time I am not a Christian because of my beliefs, but as none of those people are CHRIST I tend to ignore them. To me a Christian is someone who follows the teachings of the Savior to the best of their abilities and understanding. A Christian is not "someone who believes exactly what I do" which is, I am afraid, what many other Christians seem to believe.

I believe the Bible is the Word of God... as far as it is translated correctly. Are there mistakes? There may be, yes, but only because of the way it has been interpreted by man.

I don't call it the Trinity, I do say the Godhead, but that is slightly different. In that I believe that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are all part of "one God" as God is a job description.
Shadows-shine
Quote:
A lot of Christians do. I won't debate with you about it here sweatdrop Though I found out that my mom, who is protestant, believest that Heaven Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are three separate and distinct beings (she views the Godhead the same way I do), but she calls it the trinity still, because she says they are united in thought and purpose, which is also how I view it.

That is how I believe too, though I am not protestant.

I believe the Bible is the Word of God... but I don't believe in a closed Cannon.

I believe in modern revelation.

I'll be honest, I don't believe that the Songs of Solomon are Divinely inspired more than just poetry by a righteous man. I have never read the Apocrypha in the Catholic bible, and so I do not have an opinion on that yet. In other words, I think what is considered "scripture" does vary from Bible to Bible.

"Can you just say that you're a Christian and not have to do any thing else and still go to heaven?" I believe you will go to a VERSION of Heaven, and will be resurrected, merely by being here and as a free gift for what Christ gave us ALL.
But to live WITH God and Christ I believe means doing all we can (which is not enough, and never will be, with out the grace of God).

"Can you believe that there is a living prophet on the earth today?" As I said I believe to be Christian means following Christ... NOT "believing exactly as I do." But for the record I do NOT believe the Heavens are closed and do believe that God has prophets on this earth again.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:54 pm
Kipluck

"Can you just say that you're a Christian and not have to do any thing else and still go to heaven?" I believe you will go to a VERSION of Heaven, and will be resurrected, merely by being here and as a free gift for what Christ gave us ALL.
But to live WITH God and Christ I believe means doing all we can (which is not enough, and never will be, with out the grace of God).

"Can you believe that there is a living prophet on the earth today?" As I said I believe to be Christian means following Christ... NOT "believing exactly as I do." But for the record I do NOT believe the Heavens are closed and do believe that God has prophets on this earth again.

I have to disagree with you about everyone going to heaven. Jesus clearly states that those who do not know Him CANNOT get into heaven. He is the way, the truth, and the life. Only through Him can we reach the Father.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

Believes in Him. Not "everyone will automatically go to heaven". People slander His name all the time and are wicked. And God says that it is His justice to take. Meaning they will not be with God in heaven.

Rather, anyone who chooses not to be with Christ shall not be with Him. There is only one alternative to that. It is hell. Outer darkness. Weeping and gnashing of teeth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:24 pm
My beliefs can be summed up by the Apostles Creed (I know it as the Nicene creed)  

-xAngel of Redemptionx-

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:54 pm
Kipluck
to the OP, Shadows-shine, I am told all the time I am not a Christian because of my beliefs, but as none of those people are CHRIST I tend to ignore them. To me a Christian is someone who follows the teachings of the Savior to the best of their abilities and understanding. A Christian is not "someone who believes exactly what I do" which is, I am afraid, what many other Christians seem to believe.

I believe the Bible is the Word of God... as far as it is translated correctly. Are there mistakes? There may be, yes, but only because of the way it has been interpreted by man.

I don't call it the Trinity, I do say the Godhead, but that is slightly different. In that I believe that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are all part of "one God" as God is a job description.
Shadows-shine
Quote:

I believe the Bible is the Word of God... but I don't believe in a closed Cannon.

I'll be honest, I don't believe that the Songs of Solomon are Divinely inspired more than just poetry by a righteous man. I have never read the Apocrypha in the Catholic bible, and so I do not have an opinion on that yet. In other words, I think what is considered "scripture" does vary from Bible to Bible.

What religion are you, may I ask?

@ Scarlett- The LDS believe in three different glories or degrees of Heaven. Only the righteous saints, the ones who obeyed every command that Christ had given will enter God's kingdom, the Celestial Glory or Kingdom. The two other, lower glories, terrestrial and telestial, are for those who maybe had a testimony of Christ but didn't follow and obey all the commandments, or they were good people but did not believe in God.

Outer Darkness is reserved for those who are sons of Perdition. Those who had a testimony of Christ, but denied the light within them, the unforgivable sin, blasphemey. That is where the weeping and gnashing of teeth is.

Hell for the LDS is viewed like how the Jews view it, a temporary place in the after life, the spirit realm, Sheol, is the Hebrew term. The LDS have it divided in two places in the spirit realm, paradise and hell. Paradise is where the theif on the cross went. He didn't go to Heaven directly after he died. No one does. No one is granted passage into any of the degrees of glory or Outer Darkness until after Judgement Day.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:38 pm
-xAngel of Redemptionx-
My beliefs can be summed up by the Apostles Creed (I know it as the Nicene creed)

So why do you choose to follow a creed rather than the Bible?  

Someoneiknow

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:56 pm
Shadows-shine
Kipluck

Shadows-shine
Quote:

What religion are you, may I ask?

@ Scarlett- The LDS believe in three different glories or degrees of Heaven. Only the righteous saints, the ones who obeyed every command that Christ had given will enter God's kingdom, the Celestial Glory or Kingdom. The two other, lower glories, terrestrial and telestial, are for those who maybe had a testimony of Christ but didn't follow and obey all the commandments, or they were good people but did not believe in God.

Outer Darkness is reserved for those who are sons of Perdition. Those who had a testimony of Christ, but denied the light within them, the unforgivable sin, blasphemey. That is where the weeping and gnashing of teeth is.

Hell for the LDS is viewed like how the Jews view it, a temporary place in the after life, the spirit realm, Sheol, is the Hebrew term. The LDS have it divided in two places in the spirit realm, paradise and hell. Paradise is where the theif on the cross went. He didn't go to Heaven directly after he died. No one does. No one is granted passage into any of the degrees of glory or Outer Darkness until after Judgement Day.

So we have to obey every single command or we can't enter the Kingdom?

That's impossible. Nobody can obey the Law to the letter their whol lives. Paul himself, an apostle of Jesus Christ, knew this. Jesus said this. We are saved by God's grace alone. Our actions cannot make us righteous. We are counted righteous only through our faith in Christ. This faith will grow in us the fruits of the spirit, produce good fruit.

@Someoneiknow

He isn't saying that he just follows the Creed. He is saying that the Creed encompasses his beliefs, which can be found in the Bible.

~Ancient Scrolls~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff