Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Coming out as an atheist Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azurea`

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:47 pm
I never told them, They'd get all angry on me. My mom damns me to hell everyday as if she does know. So if I did tell her, She'd probabbly seriously would stab me and say "DIE IN HELL."
My friends know, just not my folks.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:04 am
When I started having doubts, my parents seemed sort of frightened and they get all depressed by it. Now, they couldn't care less. In fact, my dad brags about it sometimes.  

Orson Welles

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:52 pm
My dad is a big time atheist so he dosent care at all that i'm one to. I think he's actully kind of proud that I am. My mom belives in God but she dosent go to church or get involved in any religes stuff, so she dosent care either.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:54 pm
I wasn't left alone until I stated a few reasons why I am an Atheist:

1. If God is so "kind", how come he creates people that are conjoined, mentally retarded, or just plain stupid and ugly?

2. I find it kind of silly that if you ask a religious person about Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny, they say "Magic is fake, they're not real!", but if you ask "If magic is fake, what did Jesus use to cure people?" They say something like "Blasphemy! YOU WILL ROT IN HELL YOU SINNING HEATHEN! JESUS DIED FOR YOU! HE CURED PEOPLE WITH HIS DIVINE HOLY POWERS!"

3. Contrary to popular belief, there is literally a 1 to 999,999,999,999,999,999 chance that one's religion is "the truth".

Orson Welles

ChocoChan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:08 pm
I have yet to tell my parents that I'm athiest, and odds are, they won't know till I graduate, if I tell them at all. I figure, if I wait till I graduate, odds are, I can get the car, some tuition money, and other stuff before I tell them and get disowned. Bit selfish, but I honestly don't give a ******** about them anymore.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:02 am
I'm not sure my dad even listened, and my mom and oldest sister hope I eventually find god...

Right, I'll take up wild goose chases starting with finding the Tooth Fairy.  

Phaeton

A Fallen Hero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:03 pm
I haven't told them yet. But when I do, I'm probably gonna get a 2-millenia long lecture on how important it is to be a christian and how greatful and fortunate I should be that I'm alive.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:01 pm
I will probobly wait a while before telling any relatives . And I mean a long friggin while . I know them well enough to know how hurt they would be to find out that I not only dont believe but I never really did in the first place .  

Thy_Mushroom

Grand Moff Locket

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:39 pm
Dekoto
I haven't told my parents, cause I know how they'd react, and chances are I'd end up being homeless.
Mine would kill me. Yeah.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:09 pm
Grand Moff Locket
Dekoto
I haven't told my parents, cause I know how they'd react, and chances are I'd end up being homeless.
Mine would kill me. Yeah.

You know, I don't get it. There are some people in the world that can be fine with anybody. They can get to know a person, and be perfectly fine with them because the person is friendly and fun.

But when they find out that person is athiest...all the sudden they turn and treat the athiest like a bad person, or an enemy. Why is it like that?

As if being athiest changes who a person is? How can families be like that?

How can you decide to hate you're own child, the one you helped bring to the world, just because the grow up and gain different beleifs than you?

How can the knoweldge of thier child being athiest make the family hate them, or find trouble with them?

I just don't get it sometimes.

Sanguvixen

Grand Moff Locket

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:31 pm
Loving your children is gone and passed. The society we have fits people only to resent those who leech from them. We're lazy. Children are one of the most burdensome things, and parents can't look past that anymore. So one bad turn can destroy the already shakey relationships.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:47 pm
Grand Moff Locket
Loving your children is gone and passed. The society we have fits people only to resent those who leech from them. We're lazy. Children are one of the most burdensome things, and parents can't look past that anymore. So one bad turn can destroy the already shakey relationships.

There have always been parents that don't know how to love their children. Children have always been a burden, and in many cases, wholly unwanted. It's nothing new, but in some ways less socially acceptable now, and noticed more. Before, it was entirely a person's business how they treated their own family, no matter how poorly. Now, it's everyone's business.  

iviary

Uchihas Blood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:02 am
My parents are atheistic but one of my friends said "I dont have any atheist friends." So I told him that I was an atheist and he said "What? You are?" Stupid people.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:52 am
Hehe, interesting stories. As for myself, when I told my parents, I got the usual snide remark -showing that they cared - and then they just brushed it off like they didn't care. It's really funny, the snide remark is always pointless and supposed to convert me to their opinions.

This time it was: You know that people with a religion live longer, right?

smile How ironic. The only reason that's stated is because there are more religious people, so if 3 of them live to be 100 and 1 atheist reaches that age, clearly they can say religious people live that long. However, atheists are a clear minority.

The "gay remark" was: If you ever choose to be gay, just know that being gay is a choice and that you're making the wrong one.

You can see why going to my parents hasn't been the best idea over the years.  

iMito

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:28 am
Arcanus Inferno
My parents are atheistic but one of my friends said "I dont have any atheist friends." So I told him that I was an atheist and he said "What? You are?" Stupid people.

Hmmm...Stupid People indeed. Then again...why would one want to to reveal they are athiest anyway? It is live and let live, don't ask, then the person won't tell.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff