Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:32 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops

Men and women cling to each other because God gave Eve to Adam. They're bound, joined by God. Not because God has a wife. It has been that way since. Scripture doesn't support the existence of a "Heavenly Mother" at all.
Yes scripture does support the existence of a Heavenly Mother. She is not mentioned exclusively for the reasons I have mentioned in my above posts.

Quote:
As Hizuma said, God made us from the dirt. Then He breathed life into us. Then He made Eve from Adam's rib, and we can assume that He breathed life into her as well. There's no reason to believe in a Heavenly Mother because there is no Scripture that even suggests the existence of a Heavenly Mother.

And yes there are lots of scriptures that suggest the existence of Her. Just because the Bible doesn't mention Her outright, does not mean She isn't there! She is hinted at in Genesis 2:24... Adam is Heavenly Father's child is he not?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:46 pm
Shadows-shine
Scarlet_Teardrops
Shadows-Shine

Men and women cling to each other because God gave Eve to Adam. They're bound, joined by God. Not because God has a wife. It has been that way since. Scripture doesn't support the existence of a "Heavenly Mother" at all.
Yes scripture does support the existence of a Heavenly Mother. She is not mentioned exclusively for the reasons I have mentioned in my above posts.

As Hizuma said, God made us from the dirt. Then He breathed life into us. Then He made Eve from Adam's rib, and we can assume that He breathed life into her as well. There's no reason to believe in a Heavenly Mother because there is no Scripture that even suggests the existence of a Heavenly Mother.

And yes there are lots of scriptures that suggest the existence of Her. Just because the Bible doesn't mention Her outright, does not mean She isn't there! She is hinted at in Genesis 2:24... Adam is Heavenly Father's child is he not?

The reasons you gave just sound like an excuse for the lack of her appearance or HINT of her existence in the Bible.

Give me all the Scriptures where she is hinted at and we will see if they stand. I'm a reasonable, open-minded person. If you can show me Scriptures that, without a doubt, hint at her existence, I will reconsider your claims.

You gave Genesis 2:24. Let us see what the passage says.

"This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one."

Okay. God doesn't have parents. So that doesn't really apply. And if you look at the passage before, it says:

She will be called 'woman,', because she was taken from 'man'.

That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife. Because Eve was taken from Adam. We are not LITERALLY children of God. Otherwise Jesus would not be the Father's one and only Son. We become His children when we have faith in Jesus Christ. Paul states it as God adopting us as His children. I believe this is in Romans, but I'll have to check to make completely sure.

And to stave off another possible argument, Jesus was born from Mary, not the Heavenly Mother. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:56 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops

The reasons you gave just sound like an excuse for the lack of her appearance or HINT of her existence in the Bible.
They're not an excuse.

Quote:
Give me all the Scriptures where she is hinted at and we will see if they stand. I'm a reasonable, open-minded person. If you can show me Scriptures that, without a doubt, hint at her existence, I will reconsider your claims.

Let me gather my notes and I will post them.

Quote:
You gave Genesis 2:24. Let us see what the passage says.

"This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one."

Okay. God doesn't have parents. So that doesn't really apply.
I wasn't talking about Heavenly Father, I was talking about Adam. I don't know whether or not God had parents or not, that doesn't concern me. He didn't see fit to reveal His beginings to the prophets, so therefore it's not pertinant to our salvation. We can only speculate about God and His origins. I will say no more on this subject though, because there is a lot of theories and speculations involved that don't hold good ground.

Quote:
And if you look at the passage before, it says:

She will be called 'woman,', because she was taken from 'man'.
This is just explaining how Eve's body was made.

Quote:
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife. Because Eve was taken from Adam. We are not LITERALLY children of God.

Yes we are
Quote:
Otherwise Jesus would not be the Father's one and only Son.

He is the only Begotten Son born in the flesh. The first born of us all. I will find my notes to further explain this so I don't get myself or you confused. So bear with me while I explain this doctrine to you, please!
Quote:
We become His children when we have faith in Jesus Christ. Paul states it as God adopting us as His children. I believe this is in Romans, but I'll have to check to make completely sure.
I know what one you are talking about, but I will have to get my notes and further explain myself so I can be more clear on the stance I took.

Quote:
And to stave off another possible argument, Jesus was born from Mary, not the Heavenly Mother. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.

I wasn't going to use that arguement. I don't believe in the immaculate conception or that God had sex with Mary, so let me just get that straight with any one who may question it. I don't know exactly how Jesus was conceived, that's the miracle of it. There is nothing miraculous about His birth though. He was born just like any other human.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:59 pm

I shall be waiting.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

-xAngel of Redemptionx-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:01 pm
Shadows-shine
Scarlet_Teardrops

Quote:

It's just as circumstantial as the evidence for Purgatory there are only TWO mentions of it in Scripture (1 Maccabees i think and Luke)  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:17 pm
First I need to clarify why the LDS teach God is the Father of our spirits. It has to do with the premortal existence that I mentioned in another thread.

Quote:
Christ consistantly referred to God the Eternal Father as not only his own Father but also our Father (Matthew 5:45, 48; 6:1, 4, 6, 8, etc.). He taught all men to approach God in prayer...(Matt. 6:9). After the resurrection He told Mary Magdalene: "I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God" (John 20:17). These verses and modern revelation (Moses 3:5-7; Abr. 3:22; D&C 76:24) affirm that the title Father is to be understood literally. The scriptures teach that there is a Being who is the Father of the spirits of all men (Num. 16:22; 27:16; Deut. 14:1; Psalm 82:6; Eccl. 12:7; Hosea 1:10). He is more commonly called our Heavenly Father (Matt. 6:6, 9, 14, 26, 32; 7:11; 15:13; 18:35; Luke 11:13)....Paul taught that all men, Christians and non-Christians alike, are the "offspring of God" (Acts 17:22-24, 28-29). He further informs us God is the "father of all" and the "Father of spirits" (Eph. 4:6; Heb. 12:9).

It is important to differentiate between the "Father of spirits" (God the Father) and the God whose sons and daughters we may become (Jesus Christ). Those who accept the Gospel and are spiritually born again on earth become sons and daughters of God the Son (Jesus Christ) (John 1:12; 2 Cor. 5:17; Eph. 2:8-10; 1 John 2:25-29; 3:2, 9-10)....God the Father is the father of spirits of all mankind. All of us were born as his spirit offspring in the premortal life....God the Son (Jesus Christ) is the regenerative Father of those that truly believe in him and in his gospel (John 1:12-13)...

-From the book "Answering Challenging Mormon Questions

In my next post, I will address the part about Jesus being our "spirit brother"  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:29 pm
Now let me address Jesus being the Only Begotten Son in the flesh and the part where I called Him our spirit brother.

Quote:
God the Father is called by Moses the "God of the spirits of all flesh" (Num. 16:22; 27:16) and by Paul "the Father of spirits" (Heb. 12:9)...He is the Father of the spirits of all men, including Jesus Christ. Though Christ is our spiritual brother, he holds a pre-eminent position as the "first begotten" (Heb. 1:6) among all pre-existent spirits. For this reason he is also called the "firstborn among many brethren" (Rom. 8:29) and the "first born of every creature" (Col. 1:15; D&C 93:21-23)...It may be argued that Christ was the "firstfruits" of the resurrection (1 Cor. 15:20-23; Col. 1:1 cool and therefore was the "firstborn" in that sense, other scriptures relate this pre-eminence to the pre-existence of Christ and man (Psalm 89:27; Rom. 8:29; Heb. 1:2-6)...Revelation 3:14 affirms that Jesus Christ was "Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God." He was the first of all the spirit progeny of our Father in heaven and thus our elder brother. When men follow him and become one with him "he is not ashamed to call them brethen" (Heb. 2:11).

President Joseph Fielding Smith has stated that "We accept Jesus Christ as God---The Only Begotten Son of the Father in the flesh, and the first begotten in the Spirit. Therefore He is our eldest brother, for we also are the offspring of God." (Answers to Gospel Questions).

-From the book Answering Challenging Mormon Questions  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:25 pm

I cannot express, in words, the dismay I have that you believe in a Heavenly Mother.

I disagree with you on many levels about this...in fact this is so unBiblical I don't even know where to start...

I don't think it would matter if I argued with you anyway, truthfully.

I will say a few things to you. First off: the Immaculate Conception, it's in the Bible. See Matthew 1:20 and Luke 1:35. How do you not believe in it?

Second, I love you. No matter what you believe or how...unBiblical it is.

Thirdly, I've said what I needed to. I'm done with this debate.

I didn't even really know how to respond. This is the best I can come up with.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:25 pm
And lastly, I will clarify my stance on the birth of Christ

Quote:
...Many Christians believe that Christ was begotten of the Holy Ghost. The Apostle's Creed, a doctrinal statement which is nearly universally accepted among Catholics and Protestants, states that "Jesus Chrsit...was conceieved by the Holy Ghost" (Book of Common Prayer). The creed, sung in conjunction with the Holy Communion of the Church of England, says: "Jesus Christ...Begotten not made, was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary" (Ibid).

...Matthew states that Mary was "found with child of the Holy Ghost" (1:20), Luke provides...a more detailed and clear account. While Matthew describes the visit of an unnamed angel to Joseph in only two verses, Luke takes ten verses to describe the visit of the angel Gabriel to Mary. The additional insight provided by Luke's account helps clarify Matthew's statement in this instance. He tells us initially that Jesus "shall be called the Son of the Highest" (1:32) and thereafter affirms Christ's divine sonship by informing us that the angel told Mary: "The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God" (1:35)--not the Holy Ghost. Luke and other inspired writers clearly used the titles "highest" and "Majesty on high" to refer to God the Father (Luke 1:76; 6:35-36; Heb. 1:1-3)...They...believed that Jesus Christ was the Son of God the Father (2 John 3).

Three of the four gospel accounts of the baptism of Jesus Christ also testify that Jesus Christ is the Son of God the Father. Luke... tells us that "the Holy Ghost descended in bodily shape like a dove upon him [Christ], and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased" (3:22). It is clear that the Holy Ghost was present at the baptism while God the Father spoke from Heaven, declaring Jesus Christ to be his Son (see also Matt. 3:16-17; 28:19; Mark 1:101-11; John 12:26-30). It was not the Holy Ghost who spoke to Jesus from the heavens.....

[See Alma 5:48; John 1:14, 18; 3:16; 1 John 4:9]

...It is interesting to note that Issac was also referred to as Abraham's "only begotten son" (Heb. 11:17; see also Gen. 22:2, 16; Jacob 4:5). The scriptural witness is clear: Jesus Christ is the literal Son of God the Father and Mary and of none else (Matt. 3:17; 16:16, 27; 17:5; 26:63-64; John 3:13-17; 5:18-20; 8:19; etc)

...By what means was Christ conceived...this would seem a delicate subject to most of us, the writers of the gospels apparently felt it was very important.....Matthew and Luke believed that this information was proof of the fulfillment of
prohecy (Isa. 9:6-7; Luke 1:35)...Despite the scriptural accounts, Christians are highly divided on the facts concerning this event….Christians often introduce misleading terms such as virgin birth and immaculate conception, which can cause further confusion and misunderstanding….

Most of Christianity agrees that Jesus Christ was born of the virgin Mary, there is ample disagreement as to what this actually means. Catholics…believe that Mary remained a virgin after the birth of Christ and for the rest of her life…Protestant scholars are…divided on whether only conception was miraculous or whether virginity was retained after both conception and birth.

LDS apostles and prophets affirm that Jesus was conceived of a virgin, but also make it clear that the actual birth of the Saviour was “as natural as the births of our children” (Brigham Young)….LDS do not believe in a miraculous birth ( I.e. delivery) nor that Mary remained a virgin throughout her life. Luke confirms this view, stating that Mary had to accomplish the required purification, following Mosaic Law, after the opening of her womb at birth. (Luke 2:22-23; Leviticus 12:2-6)…Mary later had other children is also made…clear in Bible scripture (Matt. 1:25; 12:46; 13:55-56).

The term “immaculate conception” mentioned earlier, is defined as the view that Mary was conceived in her own mother’s womb without the stain of original sin. This false belief has no basis in scripture and is not accepted by the LDS Church. The “Original Sin” brought death into the world (1 Cor. 21-22) but it is our own sins that spiritually separate us from God. Jesus atoned unconditionally for Adam’s transgression (Rom. 5:11-18; Moses 6:54) and conditionally atoned for our personal sins (Heb. 5:9).

Enemies of the Church have…made attempts to portray LDS doctrine on this subject as radically anti-Christian. Some…have tried to use the above cited words…to show that Mormons believe that God had “sexual intercourse with the virgin Mary.” Quotes from Bruce R. McConkie, Brigham Young, and Joseph Fielding Smith are misconstrued to convey this false concept. These quotes, when read in context, simply emphasize the fact that Christ was both the spiritual and physical Son of God and that Christ’s birth (not conception) was as normal as any other child’s.

None of the above sources state that God had “sexual relations with Mary” as some critics contend….LDS scripture affirms our belief in a virgin conception (1 Nephi 11:13-21)…We do believe that Christ is the “only begotten Son “ of God in the flesh…unaware of any speculation by LDS leaders as to how this was accomplished. In this day of test tube babies and artificial insemination, various possibilities as to how the virgin Mary conceived can be considered. The scriptures give a specific explanation on this matter, and LDS doctrine does not go beyond the scriptures….Christ is clearly identified as “Son” of God, and the importance of Christ’s divine sonship as the “only Begotten” is found throughout our scriptures and other LDS writings (John 1:14; D&C 20:21; Alma 12:33-34).

The only satisfactory interpretation of Christ’s Sonship is a physical one, since all men may be spiritually “begotten of God” by being born again (1 John 5:1 cool . Christ alone is the only begotten Son of God in the flesh (John 1:14). An understanding of this concept is critical…

-From the Book Answering Challenging Mormon questions.

I will have to dig in my notes about Heavenly Mother. I have not done much studying on her lately, but I will try and dig up what I can. Any ways...I hope I have clarified my stance some what... If not I can go into further detail

EDIT: This post got submitted during the time that Scarlett had submitted her post above...so I was not trying to drag an arguement out. I will leave this here though, so people can understand my position and my beliefs.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:30 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops

I cannot express, in words, the dismay I have that you believe in a Heavenly Mother.

I disagree with you on many levels about this...in fact this is so unBiblical I don't even know where to start...

I will say a few things to you. First off: the Immaculate Conception, it's in the Bible. See Matthew 1:20 and Luke 1:35. How do you not believe in it?

That's your opinion, but you don't need to feel dismayed about me believing that Heavenly Mother exists. But I have stated all that I needed to clarify my position in my three posts. And none of my beliefs are unbiblical, you just have to know where to look in the bible, because all of my beliefs are in there. But thanks for debating with me!  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:30 pm
Hizuma the Troublesome
KJV John 4:24 God is (a) Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.(perenthesis because about half of all translations excludes it)
1 Corinthians 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every Creature:

Webster's Dictionary
Spirit: A supernatural, incorperal, rational being, usually invisible to human beings but capable of becomming visible at will
There are quite a few verses to support that God is invisible, and that no man has ever seen God's real form.

If God is flesh and bone, by your same argument, he cannot be everywhere at once, nor invisible without violating his laws of Heaven and Earth.

Heavenly Father hardly ever comes to this earth. If you are talking about Jesus Christ, then He shows Himself quite often, read the Book of Mormon or the Doctrine and Covenants for example. You are also misinterpreting the scripture. It's like me saying Australia is invisible. Just because I've never seen it with my waking eye, doesn't mean someone else hasn't either.

Quote:
As for God being distinguished from us: He's Omnipresent, omnipotent, omniescent, and immutable(All places at once, all knowing, almighty, and unchanging, respectively)
I'd say that in and of itself puts him on another level from us.

So then why would He need to not have a physical body? Why are you putting limitations on God? Why can't He possess a body?

Quote:
And the very first point: Genesis 1:27 So God created man in is own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Now, to use a little logic. First scripture simply says, both man and woman were created in his image, spiritually and physically with the redeemer in mind. God breathed into man the breath of life. Seeing as normal man cannot do the same, and man by himself cannot reproduce(yet*shudder*), God would have to have breathed into her(Eve's) nostrils the same breath no?
As for why we love each other:
Genesis 2:18-24
Ephesians 5:22-33
We are to love one another as Christ loves the Church

Where does it state that God created our spirit that day?

Quote:
Yes I know I bounced around a lot. Now, pray tell, what are limitations of a spirit, with scripture please.

Which scripture, there always seems to be a misinterpretation of what is scripture and what isn't.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:31 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops

Why do you disregard the scriptures she has come up with and take them for naught?  

Someoneiknow

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:33 pm
-xAngel of Redemptionx-
Shadows-shine
Scarlet_Teardrops

Quote:

It's just as circumstantial as the evidence for Purgatory there are only TWO mentions of it in Scripture (1 Maccabees i think and Luke)

Well then, if you are going to use Maccabees, which isn't widely accepted, then I can use all of my prophetic insight which is a lot more than just circumstancial.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:19 am
Someoneiknow
Hizuma the Troublesome
KJV John 4:24 God is (a) Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.(perenthesis because about half of all translations excludes it)
1 Corinthians 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every Creature:

Webster's Dictionary
Spirit: A supernatural, incorperal, rational being, usually invisible to human beings but capable of becomming visible at will
There are quite a few verses to support that God is invisible, and that no man has ever seen God's real form.

If God is flesh and bone, by your same argument, he cannot be everywhere at once, nor invisible without violating his laws of Heaven and Earth.

Heavenly Father hardly ever comes to this earth. If you are talking about Jesus Christ, then He shows Himself quite often, read the Book of Mormon or the Doctrine and Covenants for example. You are also misinterpreting the scripture. It's like me saying Australia is invisible. Just because I've never seen it with my waking eye, doesn't mean someone else hasn't either.

Quote:
As for God being distinguished from us: He's Omnipresent, omnipotent, omniescent, and immutable(All places at once, all knowing, almighty, and unchanging, respectively)

So then why would He need to not have a physical body? Why are you putting limitations on God? Why can't He possess a body?

Quote:
And the very first point: Genesis 1:27 So God created man in is own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Now, to use a little logic. First scripture simply says, both man and woman were created in his image, spiritually and physically with the redeemer in mind. God breathed into man the breath of life. Seeing as normal man cannot do the same, and man by himself cannot reproduce(yet*shudder*), God would have to have breathed into her(Eve's) nostrils the same breath no?

Quote:
Yes I know I bounced around a lot. Now, pray tell, what are limitations of a spirit, with scripture please.

Which scripture, there always seems to be a misinterpretation of what is scripture and what isn't.

Forgive me, but i have no clue how to use quote boxes.

God is Omnipresent, everywhere at once. Therefore he is always with us on Earth. To argue your Australia point: You can fly overhead and see Australia, if you so desired. But can you see God as an invisible Spirit wiht your waking eye? If you can, let me know what you're taking, cuz I want three ><

Why would he need to not have a Physical Body?: I answered this. Flesh has limitations. Flesh cannot be everywhere at once. Nor can a human mind be all-knowing, nor Human Eyes be all seeing. I put no limitations on God because he has no limitations

He breathed into him the Breath of Life. I could preach on that one, but that would take a Looooooooooooong bit of typing.
That scripture says he He created male and female.

Scripture, my definition: From the Bible. Sola Scriptorum

And as far as I see it, this all comes down to LDS belief against what myslf and Scarlet believe, seeing as we are not LDS. Personally i do not believe any of the Book of Mormon, nor what you consiter your scripture. I believe the Bible, which has been around Long before the Book of Mormon. I have read it in its entirity, and it was like me searching for Benny Hinn's version of the Trinity. Not there

Hizuma the Troublesome

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:02 pm
Hizuma the Troublesome
Someoneiknow
Hizuma the Troublesome

Webster's Dictionary

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Forgive me, but i have no clue how to use quote boxes.

God is Omnipresent, everywhere at once. Therefore he is always with us on Earth. To argue your Australia point: You can fly overhead and see Australia, if you so desired. But can you see God as an invisible Spirit wiht your waking eye? If you can, let me know what you're taking, cuz I want three ><

Why would he need to not have a Physical Body?: I answered this. Flesh has limitations. Flesh cannot be everywhere at once. Nor can a human mind be all-knowing, nor Human Eyes be all seeing. I put no limitations on God because he has no limitations

He breathed into him the Breath of Life. I could preach on that one, but that would take a Looooooooooooong bit of typing.
That scripture says he He created male and female.

Scripture, my definition: From the Bible. Sola Scriptorum

And as far as I see it, this all comes down to LDS belief against what myslf and Scarlet believe, seeing as we are not LDS. Personally i do not believe any of the Book of Mormon, nor what you consiter your scripture. I believe the Bible, which has been around Long before the Book of Mormon. I have read it in its entirity, and it was like me searching for Benny Hinn's version of the Trinity. Not there

Actually the Book of Mormon has been around just as long as the Bible.

I'm sorry, but you have a prejudice against the LDS. I'm willing to listen to your beliefs, but you are unwilling to listen to mine, and instead choose your premonitions over what I say. You can't even look past your own thoughts and conclusions to look at it from a different point of view. This argument is only remaining circular because you are asking me the same points over and over and expecting a different result from me. I'm sorry that you cannot look past into another Christian faith and just see things from a different point of view. Perhaps Christ will aid you later in life to have more understanding of others and their beliefs. I will pray for you.  
~Ancient Scrolls~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff