Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Magic is evil? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

random poll
  purple ice cream
  legend of zelda!
  meh
  **GOLD** muhaha!!
View Results

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:06 am
Uh, well. To fear magic is simply blasphemous.
"Magic" can, imho, be channeled through God, because He provides us with many gifts to do His work.
However, if used selfishly, if perhaps unwittingly linked to negative forces, or an attempt to play God, then that is what makes it evil.
Much of what we consider magic is the natural spiritual force of our mind and souls. Accessing this "magic" in a holy manner requires prayer, faith, and commitment to God. Healing, contacting spirits, protection barriers, etcetc really don't require copious amounts of scented candles and ridiculous rituals -- just prayer is enough, honestly.
(not to mention awareness of the mind and such..)

That's just my view of things.
I highly doubt many would agree with me. =]  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:11 am
ultimately anyone who 'fears' magic is practicing a religion or philosophy that is based on fear. The don't do things because it is their will it's because they are afraid to do it or afraid not to do it. They fear hell, they fear death, they fear the coming of their 'savior' they fear sin. I prefer to live my live as a strong spirit who is not cowed in fear and I pity those who live in ignorance in fear for they will never realize the true nature of the world because they are too busy hiding out of fear.  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Mistreena

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:26 pm
You know it's funny, for a history class I read a text on a witchcraft trial that said two things about the Christian outlook on magic and witches. At first, the Christians said: belief in witchcraft is a pagan ideal, and refused to believe in it. Then, miraculously the text that witches shall not be tolerated entered the Bible and Christians started persecuting witches.
I think, historically, the Christian (or at least, the higher ups), associated witchcraft with paganism and vice versa, and because of it both were persecuted. People who want power and want to stay in power will do anything you see. It has been shown over and over again throughout history.

As for my own personal beliefs: Magic, like swords and guns, is a tool. It is how you use it that makes a difference. Now, I suppose you could say "there are some spells that will harm people, and since those spells are magic that makes that magic bad!" I don't think there is "good" or "bad" ("white" or "black") magic, merely the intent of the user. If you are a good person or had good intentions you wouldn't use that spell anyways.
Of course, then we have the Wizard's Second Rule come into play: the most harm can come from the best of intentions. :S that just makes everything confusing. But I still believe that magic itself is not good or bad, it is still the people and the choices made by those people.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:11 am
Mistreena
Then, miraculously the text that witches shall not be tolerated entered the Bible and Christians started persecuting witches.

I'm fairly certain it was the Spanish inquisition that started killing off 'heretics' so that the catholic church could have more control over the growing pagan or localized religious groups targeting them in a fear mongering campaign.Really they didn't care so much about the fate of any ones soul it was a plot to gain land and money since the church coffers weren't full enough and the pope had this huge army and they were bored... since..

User Image

-- click on the lovely picture for an 'educational' film--

Then when the catholic-protestant reformation/counter reformation break up happened the protestants kept the Catholics anti-witch liturgy and incorporated it in their own doctrine in some ways to maintain control in a similar fashion. When the break up from the Church of England (Anglican reformed Catholics) happened and the Lutherans (counter- reformed Catholics or simply called protestants) came to the Americas they also kept the idea but I'm sure it was for much less political reasons.

Mistreena
I think, historically, the Christian (or at least, the higher ups), associated witchcraft with paganism and vice verso, and because of it both were persecuted. People who want power and want to stay in power will do anything you see. It has been shown over and over again throughout history.

My dear Mistreena, I couldn't agree with you more. Money = power and it always has.

Mistreena

Of course, then we have the Wizard's Second Rule come into play: the most harm can come from the best of intentions. :S that just makes everything confusing. But I still believe that magic itself is not good or bad, it is still the people and the choices made by those people.

Where does this wizard rule come from if i might ask? I should like to read the others ;P They might be important if I'm missing something.  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:23 am
Christians who persecuted presumed "witches" were ignorant and uneducated, even of the text that they so strictly abided by.
They failed to notice that, in the Bible, most "magic-makers" were not killed on the spot, even when they were blatantly defying scripture. The Sorcerer Simon, for example, was a magic man in Samaria. After witnessing God's greater "magic" through His disciples, (miraculous gifts) he converted and was forgiven. Love and prayer is much more morally effective than capital punishment.

Mistreena

Where does this wizard rule come from if i might ask? I should like to read the others ;P They might be important if I'm missing something.

It comes from the Sword of Truth novels.
A fantasy series.
Ahem.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:30 pm
In basics, people fear magic out of the same reason they fear their kids taking drugs:
Because they don't trust it, and overestimate it.
That being said, compare it to that situation. A father fears witchcraft because witches can put the evil eye on people, and if he had that power he would put out the evil eye all day long, so everybody would react that way. So, since the evil eye causes harm, all Magic users basically want to cause harm, and they have some special ways nearly noone has and nearly noone can defend against, so it is evil .
Same with the black man. he is only feared if the child feels unable to defend against it.  

Baltazaar

Azuniblood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:28 pm
Magic is magic, its a pryers with herbs and objects. People who used it in the past for evil made it a marking for witchcraft and completed as an evil magic. Also one more thing I tend to believe is that magice and abilities of sorts is in everyone. It only comes out when we choose to pull it out, another thing is it comes down to your religion. It comes form your faith. So everyone that refuse to accept it and see's other people practcing magic are consider evil. I have been accused of being evil when using the Tarot. But as I said before its only a tool use to help you, and whether you use it for good or evil is up to you.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:56 pm
CemeteryPirate
Such wise remarks! It all makes sense. Thank you for helping me gain some perspective on the subject.
When my family found out of my beliefs and practices, they tried to convince me that I will go to Hell (which I don't even believe one exists). They kept saying things like "You don't know what your messing with" and "God doesnt want you to go against his will"...
Now they keep sending me e-mails filled with Christian preachings and they keep trying to get me to go to church so I can be "saved". They act like I'm sick or mad or something. ]:
welcome to the world of christianty... one of the many reasons i stoped being a christan. some of them are nice tho others are just beyond talking too, lucky for me i mangaged to talk my mother around.. shes much more openminded and mellow these days. but i totaly know what you mean same thing happens to kids who tell there perants there gay in that setting sometimes.... ohhh well we'll pray for you to be fixed stressed talk2hand confused  

MiZZ_BEETLEJUICE

5,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Sneaker Pimps

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:57 pm
Satrevi
As shown in history countless times before. People fear what they don't understand.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:19 pm
Ledon Kester
The fear of the unknown. We're just too human.

too human... good game... good game... butchered norse mythology though.  

Arcane_Ninja24

Fashionable Codger

4,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:40 am
Mainly, it is due to the catholic church which has passed down that the craft is evil for generations and that beleif is continued to be passed down, along with all the ignorance of the subject. Nobody tries to learn about it so it is just a common beleif that it's evil.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 am
Mistreena
then we have the Wizard's Second Rule come into play: the most harm can come from the best of intentions. :S that just makes everything confusing.

well u see if u wished a person no harm, like a permanent barrier that prevents many obstacles to overcome in their life preventing them growing and etc so basically if u wanted to look at it everything is a double edged sword.

also wishing for rain for instance, can prevent rainfall somewhere else that really needed it in a drought or something, or like wanting your crops to do well can take up all the nutrients in the soil so after u pass your family has to deal with bad soil on their lands and starve and r poor and etc XD

EDIT: even though i dont really do magic i never really studied or anything just googled a little on it  

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:44 pm
I'd just like to point out that Christianity isn't the only one that "frowns" upon magic.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:11 pm
broken_bleeding_angel
I'd just like to point out that Christianity isn't the only one that "frowns" upon magic.

nope, unfortunately there just the easy ones to remember...
catholics... vaticen mostly i would say hate magic more then the christian comunity... but... thats just from what i hear...  

Arcane_Ninja24

Fashionable Codger

4,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 pm
Arcane_Ninja24
broken_bleeding_angel

nope, unfortunately there just the easy ones to remember...
catholics... vaticen mostly i would say hate magic more then the christian comunity... but... thats just from what i hear...

Catholics are the original Christians, just so you know.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff