Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
My Thoughts on "Aliens" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you agree?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:39 pm
Saliman Albus
Well, I've read somewhere that statistically, it is quite impossible that there aren't other lifeforms around the universe.

The trouble with working with hard-noses statistics is that they need numbers on which to be based. Numbers which, last I heard, we didn't actually have. Probability-wise, there are most likely many Earth-like planets.

The trouble is, we can't see them very well. I'll try to keep this concise, but no promises.

Last I heard, we were looking for planets orbiting stars by looking at the star, and seeing if its light emissions suggested an object orbiting (less light received by us followed by more, on a steady interval, marking the passage of the planet across the star, and thus blocking the light from us), or if the star itself was wobbling because a massive planet was orbiting close enough to affect the star with its gravitational pull.

Dear gods, what an awfully long sentence. Sorry about that. If you didn't get the gist, I was saying that we've only seen (reasonably) lots of big gas giants (think bigger than Jupiter by many lots) orbiting stars at pretty close distances.

That being said, I don't think that statistics are the right things to use to prove your point. Instead, maybe try this logic:

If the universe is infinite, and science is more or less based on the idea that 'we're nothing special', then yes, I very much agree with you there.

Saliman Albus
I think we already sent some messages and an inscribed gold disc or something, right?

Yes, we did. I think we gave them digital information as well as an inscribed picture of us. If memory serves (and it might not) the digital information was a sound clip of us saying things?

Saliman Albus
In my opinion our technological advancement is extremely fast in the last century or so (according to earthen standards), we have discovered an amazing amount of information and plausible theories and in return our technology would be described as magic by people from 200 years ago. As someone already said, the advancement of a species is driven by necessity, maybe we just don't feel the need for extra-terrestrial communication that much yet...

You close on an interesting note. What, per chance, might drive us to feel that need?

Personally, I feel that we don't desire extra-terrestrial communication because we don't think it exists. Furthermore, I don't think that communication is something we, as people living on Earth, can convince the populace to invest their time in. They're going to need to see hard evidence of extra-terrestrials, as well as a clear plan from some sort of authority figure before getting on board with any 'spacey' program.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:41 pm
Quite honestly, I guess this could depend on whether you perceive "space" (or Outer Space) as infinite? On top of that, if yes, please be kind enough to define your personal interpretation of infinite? In accordance with these suggestions, one may also ask what you classify as "life"?

As shown already, there are many different stances with a grand diversity of answers. A Newtonian Physicist or Mathematician will give you completely different answers than a Quantum Physicist or Spiritualist (just a very limited few examples).

When it really boils down to it though, I should just ask two questions.

1: Do you want there to be life beyond "earthling" existence?

2: How far are you willing to go to find these answers for yourself? 3nodding

Garret_Strife

iDarthy

Desirable Werewolf

6,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:52 am
if Alien's arn't real, than explain the marking's in the ground in Peru and why there are runway-like line's in the ground and why some of the mountains are completley smooth without no rubble or debris anywhere near the mountain?
explain that  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:35 pm
iDarthy
if Alien's arn't real, than explain the marking's in the ground in Peru and why there are runway-like line's in the ground and why some of the mountains are completley smooth without no rubble or debris anywhere near the mountain?
explain that

I assume you mean the sailing stones of Racetrack Playa, which is in Death Valley? There're a couple of proposed explanations there.

Also, aliens aren't the only reason why the stones would leave lines behind them (or why the mountains are "completely smooth", which I've never heard -- can you provide a source for this?)  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:02 pm
Can't wait till they remove us from existence. We are a failure. Had potential, but we failed.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:01 am
Failed? There's still time to change that. Unless something removes us from existence soonish.  

Abbot_Natalis

Savage Genius

2,850 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • PvP 200

iDarthy

Desirable Werewolf

6,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:04 am
Mitsh
iDarthy
explain that

I assume you mean the sailing stones of Racetrack Playa, which is in Death Valley? There're a couple of proposed explanations there.

Also, aliens aren't the only reason why the stones would leave lines behind them (or why the mountains are "completely smooth", which I've never heard -- can you provide a source for this?)

no, not those
http://www.alienresistance.org/lines_of_nazca_peru.htm
THESE  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:45 am
Cain Elite
Can't wait till they remove us from existence. We are a failure. Had potential, but we failed.

Well aren't we just a little glass half empty?

I would like to ask though, how have we failed? What/Who's precise standards are you making this judgment on? Or are you just stating your own hope through your own personal bias?

Garret_Strife

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:57 pm
The Nazca lines? I'm pretty sure that those were something that the natives built a long, long time ago. Probably as a monument to honour their gods, but the mystery behind them really isn't so much as to who built them, but why.

Consider a logic tool called Occam's Razor. It basically says that given the choice of two equally 'probable' events (as in, two theories with equal amounts of evidence or what have you), chose the simpler.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:01 pm
Garret_Strife
Quite honestly, I guess this could depend on whether you perceive "space" (or Outer Space) as infinite? On top of that, if yes, please be kind enough to define your personal interpretation of infinite? In accordance with these suggestions, one may also ask what you classify as "life"?

As shown already, there are many different stances with a grand diversity of answers. A Newtonian Physicist or Mathematician will give you completely different answers than a Quantum Physicist or Spiritualist (just a very limited few examples).

Nice post. I'm not sure what to say to the points you raise, but they're good ones (as in I like them, and for the most part agree with them), and I figured they should be recognised.

Though the question of my working definition of 'infinite' as according to space is more or less 'infinite, for all intents and purposes, though possibly not true infinity'. Basically, it's big enough that the numbers don't really matter, at least to me for now.

There is some research into whether or not the universe is still expanding and the like. I think that the direction(s) in which the universe is moving are relevant for study, though we may not need practical use of that information in our lifetimes.

So in short, good post, nice questions, I think space is roughly infinite, but it's important to look at what changes are going on inside of that infinity.

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Garret_Strife

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:32 am
Zurah
Garret_Strife

Nice post. I'm not sure what to say to the points you raise, but they're good ones (as in I like them, and for the most part agree with them), and I figured they should be recognised.

Though the question of my working definition of 'infinite' as according to space is more or less 'infinite, for all intents and purposes, though possibly not true infinity'. Basically, it's big enough that the numbers don't really matter, at least to me for now.

There is some research into whether or not the universe is still expanding and the like. I think that the direction(s) in which the universe is moving are relevant for study, though we may not need practical use of that information in our lifetimes.

So in short, good post, nice questions, I think space is roughly infinite, but it's important to look at what changes are going on inside of that infinity.

You are most kind, and I thank you (and I obviously like your style smile ).

I see, I see. I'm rather partial to concepts of infinity, so I thank you for your stance, certainly.

Is this sort of familiar to the theory of Metric Expansion of Space, but on a more cosmic scale as it were? I can certainly agree that it would be very relevant for study. For very numerous purposes indeed, and may allude to some of the ....standards, and workings of time as it were?

I just do what I can really, but thanks (yet again). 3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:15 am
iDarthy
Mitsh
iDarthy
explain that

no, not those
http://www.alienresistance.org/lines_of_nazca_peru.htm
THESE

Oh, my apologies. In any case, here are some proposed explanations for the Nazca "runways", since you asked.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

CemeteryPirate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:22 pm
Abbot_Natalis
I'd say our technology is progressing pretty rapidly. Though not in areas I think deserve more focus, but what can you expect from a consumer-based culture?

3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:38 am
Garret_Strife

You are most kind, and I thank you (and I obviously like your style smile ).

I see, I see. I'm rather partial to concepts of infinity, so I thank you for your stance, certainly.

Is this sort of familiar to the theory of Metric Expansion of Space, but on a more cosmic scale as it were? I can certainly agree that it would be very relevant for study. For very numerous purposes indeed, and may allude to some of the ....standards, and workings of time as it were?

I just do what I can really, but thanks (yet again). 3nodding

No problem. :3

It probably is-- I haven't read the article for a while, and am now about seven-hundred miles from home, so me digging out the magazine within the next two weeks probably isn't going to happen. For the record, it was in one of the more recent issues of Scientific American, I think.

The repercussions of such goings-on could be pretty significant. It'll be pretty interesting to see what all science digs up within the next ten years. The future (aside from the potential for a very messy government) is gonna rock.

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

xXAlternate RealityXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:35 pm
I think many people have a very cliche' view of Extra-Terrestrials in general. They take these over-used scientific mysteries like various wierd markings in the ground and auomatically think, "Aliens, aliens!" and picture those standard little green things with really thin bodies, slit noses, and enormous eyes. It's just not that simple.

Nobody knows where the universe begins or ends, or if it does at all, (the enormity of which is rather hard to wrap your head around) but I think we all can agree that it is very, VERY big, so it is foolish to believe that Earth is the only planet that can sustain life. However, we are one measley planet, who knows only a little about our one measley galaxy, let alone the Universe itself.

The people who are absolutely martian-crazy and think they know everything there is to know are usually the most ignorant ones. And the most closed-minded. They need something to believe in, some kind of ridiculous cause, or they just don't know what to do with themselves. So, they take on this paranoid fantasy, convincing themselves that they know exactly what's going on and that it's completely true. When in actuality they have no better idea than the rest of us.

I do believe that there is probably another life form out there somewhere, but I also believe that it's absolutely nothing like what we think it is.

To make a tired point, people are jumping to conclusions far too quickly.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff