6,700 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:09 pm
lennersmii
LadyAnisina
kono inu wa tiny desu.
as for this dog, his name is tiny. is that right senseis?

Correct 3nodding

yay! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:20 pm
Amyroth
Rakuyo Kaotori
Watashi no neko kawaii desu.

Would that mean "My cat is cute"?

Very close!
You need to mark "My cat" as the subject of your sentence.
You do this with particle は, or 'wa.'
"Watashi no neko wa kawaii desu."

These are both very good but only a little bit off. "kawaii" is an adjective not a noun and uses a diferent particle. so for my cat is cute, you would have to use ga (が) instead.

わたし の ねこ が かわいい です。
watashi no neko ga kawaii desu.  

Ellembri
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Ellembri
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:26 pm
Kakigoori_Oujo
Phoniex of Darkness
Hi Sensei im new here. im sort of nervous how to say to say Japanese word correctly im sort bad at it. Since im azn im sort of embarrass of my self not know my own language. this why im taking this class to learn.
trying to say my older brother is strange
Watashi no ani wa strangetu

is this right sensei? im not sure how to say strange in Japanese

It's within my range of ability so I will answer it.
I think it should be "ani wa hen desu."
You don't need "watashi no" to state it is your brother because "ani" can only refer to your own older brother and cannot be used to refer to other people's older brothers (you would have to use oniisan in that case).

haha, again very good question and answer but as I said above. Strange or "hen" is an adjective and so needs the が (ga) particle in this case. In the case of ani or oniisan, as kaki stated if you are using "ani" the "watashi no" part is not needed and a bit redundant, however! you could definitely say "watashi no oniisan ga hen desu"

So to recap:
"watashi no oniisan ga hen desu."
"ani ga hen desu"  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:28 pm
LadyAnisina
kono inu wa tiny desu.

Yes this is very good! If you wanted to be more specific you could even say this:

Kono inu no namae wa Tiny desu.
"As for this dog's name, it is Tiny"

Yoku dekita! (good job!)  

Ellembri
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

EpicNixxi

4,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:22 pm
I didn't know about the ga particle, I haven't done very much Japanese. confused Could you explain the difference between the 'wa' and 'ga' in slightly more detail please? Thanks.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:19 pm
EpicNixxi
I didn't know about the ga particle, I haven't done very much Japanese. confused Could you explain the difference between the 'wa' and 'ga' in slightly more detail please? Thanks.

Wa and ga are actually very similar and it will take some practice to get to know which one to use in a given situation. when you are in a position to hear japanese being spoken, you will start to find what "sounds right". But for now I will outline the differences a bit.

The particle Wa (は) is used not as a subject marker as most people assume, but a topic marker. This is to say that the word or phrase before the particle is the topic of conversation. This may or may not be the actual subject but is none-the-less important to the speaker.

The Ga (が) particle is actually used for alot of things but in this instance it would be the subject marker. This means that the word or phrase before ga would be marked as the subject of the sentence.

Like i said before these two particles are tricky for western speakers because we don't have a distinction between topic and subject like the Japanese do. I will go into particles more as I post more lessons and plan on having a small compendium dedicated to particles and their uses.

Good question! *^_^*  

Ellembri
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Amyroth

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:20 pm
Ellembri
Amyroth
Rakuyo Kaotori
Watashi no neko kawaii desu.

Would that mean "My cat is cute"?

Very close!
You need to mark "My cat" as the subject of your sentence.
You do this with particle は, or 'wa.'
"Watashi no neko wa kawaii desu."

These are both very good but only a little bit off. "kawaii" is an adjective not a noun and uses a diferent particle. so for my cat is cute, you would have to use ga (が) instead.

わたし の ねこ が かわいい です。
watashi no neko ga kawaii desu.

The use of は and が vary not by the type of word it marks, but the piece of the sentence it marks. "わたし の ねこ が かわいい です" Is not a complete sentence as there is no subject. The closest thing you could translate that to is "I think my cat is cute." but it's still a shaky sentence.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:55 pm
Ellembri
EpicNixxi

Wa and ga are actually very similar and it will take some practice to get to know which one to use in a given situation. when you are in a position to hear japanese being spoken, you will start to find what "sounds right". But for now I will outline the differences a bit.

The particle Wa (は) is used not as a subject marker as most people assume, but a topic marker. This is to say that the word or phrase before the particle is the topic of conversation. This may or may not be the actual subject but is none-the-less important to the speaker.

The Ga (が) particle is actually used for alot of things but in this instance it would be the subject marker. This means that the word or phrase before ga would be marked as the subject of the sentence.

Like i said before these two particles are tricky for western speakers because we don't have a distinction between topic and subject like the Japanese do. I will go into particles more as I post more lessons and plan on having a small compendium dedicated to particles and their uses.

Good question! *^_^*

I would have to disagree. Not sure you understand the english definition of 'subject.'
In english, the topic is the matter of the conversation, and the subject is the component in a sentence that completes the action. Within the context you're using them, they don't even fall in to the same category in english. In almost every language in the world, [Subject]+[Verb} is a complete sentence. [Subject]+[Topic]+[Verb] is acceptable and often used, but not necessary.

The reason が is so tricky, is that when translated to english, it often marks the object of the sentence (the component that the action is performed upon) and that's not always the case when it's in japanese.
Example:
わたしはチャコレートがすきです.
"I like chocolate."
Hmmm, "like.." 'to like' is a verb right? So if 'I' is the subject of the sentence, and I'm 'liking' something, that something must be the object of the sentence. [NOT TRUE]
Japanese speaker: Meh, close enough.
In japanese however, すき, which conveys the idea of fondness is an adjective, and you can't perform actions on adjectives.
So the above sentence translated piece by piece, and then frankensteined back together, would be directly translated to "I have a liking to/for chocolate."

So, to say that は always marks the topic [it sometimes does] and never the subject would be completely inaccurate. If は is marking the topic, that just means that the topic is also the subject. To say that が can mark the subject is also wrong.

I think the reason your concept of this portion of this particular language is so shaky, is because your concept of language in general is kind of shaky.  

Amyroth

Dapper Dabbler

Ellembri
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:02 am
Amyroth
Ellembri
EpicNixxi

Good question! *^_^*

I would have to disagree. Not sure you understand the english definition of 'subject.'
In english, the topic is the matter of the conversation, and the subject is the component in a sentence that completes the action. Within the context you're using them, they don't even fall in to the same category in english. In almost every language in the world, [Subject]+[Verb} is a complete sentence. [Subject]+[Topic]+[Verb] is acceptable and often used, but not necessary.

The reason が is so tricky, is that when translated to english, it often marks the object of the sentence (the component that the action is performed upon) and that's not always the case when it's in japanese.
Example:
わたしはチャコレートがすきです.
"I like chocolate."
Hmmm, "like.." 'to like' is a verb right? So if 'I' is the subject of the sentence, and I'm 'liking' something, that something must be the object of the sentence. [NOT TRUE]
Japanese speaker: Meh, close enough.
In japanese however, すき, which conveys the idea of fondness is an adjective, and you can't perform actions on adjectives.
So the above sentence translated piece by piece, and then frankensteined back together, would be directly translated to "I have a liking to/for chocolate."

So, to say that は always marks the topic [it sometimes does] and never the subject would be completely inaccurate. If は is marking the topic, that just means that the topic is also the subject. To say that が can mark the subject is also wrong.

I think the reason your concept of this portion of this particular language is so shaky, is because your concept of language in general is kind of shaky.

Thank you for your opinion.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:59 pm
Ellembri
Kakigoori_Oujo
Phoniex of Darkness
Hi Sensei im new here. im sort of nervous how to say to say Japanese word correctly im sort bad at it. Since im azn im sort of embarrass of my self not know my own language. this why im taking this class to learn.
trying to say my older brother is strange
Watashi no ani wa strangetu

is this right sensei? im not sure how to say strange in Japanese

It's within my range of ability so I will answer it.
I think it should be "ani wa hen desu."
You don't need "watashi no" to state it is your brother because "ani" can only refer to your own older brother and cannot be used to refer to other people's older brothers (you would have to use oniisan in that case).

haha, again very good question and answer but as I said above. Strange or "hen" is an adjective and so needs the が (ga) particle in this case. In the case of ani or oniisan, as kaki stated if you are using "ani" the "watashi no" part is not needed and a bit redundant, however! you could definitely say "watashi no oniisan ga hen desu"

So to recap:
"watashi no oniisan ga hen desu."
"ani ga hen desu"

Actually, you can use は or が, though there are different implications if you use either.

Here, the topic is your brother:

A:あなたのおにいさんはやさしいですね。
Your older brother is nice, isn't he?
B:そうですね。でも、あにへんです。
Yeah I guess, but my older brother is weird.

And here, the topic is not, but he is being brought into the conversation:

A:だれがへんですか。
Who is weird?
B:あにへんです。
My older brother is weird.

For a sentence on its own, I think "あにへんです" is more suitable than "あにへんです", because there's no topic if you don't use は.  

Kakigoori_Oujo

tachma15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:08 am
LadyAnisina
lennersmii
LadyAnisina
kono inu wa tiny desu.

Correct 3nodding

yay! heart

There's a more correct way to say "This dog's name is Tiny."

> "Kono inu no namae wa Tiny desu."

"inu no namae" means "the dog's name" (namae = name)

wink Hope this was helpful!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:15 am
Ahh, so to say "I love Japanese." in reference to the language, I would say:

日本語が大好きです。

And I could put "私は" at the beginning to specify that I am the one who loves Japanese.  

mikeplusplus

Codebreaking Genius

6,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200

Wanderer118

Beloved Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 am
Watashi no tomodachi no inu ga kawaii desu.

If I remember correctly this says, "My friend's dog is cute." Am i correct? Also this is a great way for me to review before class starts again in the fall. Arigato Gozaimasu. ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:42 am
kawaii100cute_11
LadyAnisina
lennersmii
LadyAnisina
kono inu wa tiny desu.

Correct 3nodding

yay! heart

oh that's great! thanks! 3nodding  

LadyAnisina

6,700 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Window Shopper 100

mikeplusplus

Codebreaking Genius

6,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:54 am
LadyAnisina
kawaii100cute_11
LadyAnisina
lennersmii
LadyAnisina
kono inu wa tiny desu.

Correct 3nodding

yay! heart

oh that's great! thanks! 3nodding

It's not so much more correct as it is bigger. If someone already asked what the dog's name was, you could easily leave the "no namae" out, just like if I asked "Enpitsu wa doko desu ka?", someone could respond "Asoko desu." and maybe point in the right direction.  
Japanese language

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff