Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kira Ano

Feline Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:30 pm
Ricwulf
Just watched it.
It was alright. Probably least favourite Christmas Specials. Favourite would have to be The Next Doctor, haha.

Umm, so, discuss?

Did anyone else go "No! You cannot pass your own timeline!" When the oldie grabbed his young selfs shoulder? I mean really! In the The Big Bang it was alright, time was ending anyway, so no rules, but now! There are rules! You obey them! Don't you think that you can remake them because you are lead writer Mr Mofatt!

Sorry, my rant is over. Hahaha sweatdrop
Over all decent episode, if not a little cliche in the love department.
"A firefly
Caught my eye
--

I enjoyed it, if only because it was the Doctor. And yeah, I think I did bug my family by shouting something like that out... .__."

But that also reminds me of something my mom and I talked about today. I watched something earlier that said "I cannot cross my own timestream" or something to that effect, and yet... it seems to happen a lot... Hrm...

Gotta love inconsistencies. If you can point out everything that's wrong and still love it with all your heart, then it's good. (:

--And she blew away, far away
Always flies away, far away

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:32 pm
Pentigan
I believe that time in the whoniverse does not always follow the same rules as it did in the last episode, any further explaination would go along the lines of "Timey Wimey Ball".

Remember that Moffat wrote this episode, the same guy who brought us the time twisting episode Blink.
"A firefly
Caught my eye
--

Blink... happened to be my favorite episode for some reason, even though it more than confused the hell out of me. @__@
You mean the wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey thing?! :DD

--And she blew away, far away
Always flies away, far away

Kira Ano

Feline Cat

SaphiraStar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:58 pm
Oh by the way did the americans lose something when this episode came over here because one moment we have the doctor going for the screwdriver in the shark then we had commercial break followed by dying shark and the kid blaming himself for something we didn't see. what the heck happened there?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:31 am
SaphiraStar
Oh by the way did the americans lose something when this episode came over here because one moment we have the doctor going for the screwdriver in the shark then we had commercial break followed by dying shark and the kid blaming himself for something we didn't see. what the heck happened there?
we probably did, we always do, that's why i watch it online later to see the "full" version.  

Maeko-Hana

Hairy Priest
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:23 am
^^I watched it on BBC America and thought the same thing... it was a really abrupt transition from the Doctor going for the screwdriver, commercial, and suddenly the shark is lying on the ground dying. But I later viewed the version broadcast on the BBC (without commercials), and that part is exactly the same.

So, no, they didn't edit something out from that particular scene on BBC America. It was just a really abrupt shift. Maybe they didn't have the budget to actually show the Doctor reaching in to grab his screwdriver out of a CG shark?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:19 pm
CGI for that would be very difficult because you have to have just that section filmed on a larger green screen and while it's not very difficult to have CGI in front, beside or behind something having around something is hard. In the same way you hear somebody say "lets go outside" and then the characters are outside and you're left to assume they walked down the hall and opened the door; we're left to assume the doctor grabbed it and hurt the shark on its way out.

Sorry if that's annoying technical  

ezactron14

Starshine

Destructive Bunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:53 am
Twice II

The time paradoxes I can tolerate, but the touching! The touching angers and displeases me!
Where are my reapers? If there is to be touching I demand there also be reapers, come to correct the wrongs of temporal continuity and possibly eat a companion.

The time paradoxes could have been given some paltry post-hoc explanation about how the Master's cannibalizing of the Tardis was still somehow affective, but the touching is just wrong.

It's just wrong, and no amount of air sharks can make up for it!

Other than that, I liked it. I kinda got my hopes up at the beginning because it seemed like for a moment Smith had somehow managed to take on a bit of Tennant's Doctor's personality and maybe smashed it up a bit with Moffat's new Sherlock, but then he went back to be the very disappointing Eleventh Doctor I've come to dislike and feel consistently let down by.

The Christmas Invasion continues to be my favourite, but this was still good despite its egregious continuity errors.

This. Rose touched her younger self in Father's Day episode and it was all doomsday. But this guy just goes and touches his younger self and its all fine and dandy. Where are those reapers? Too scared of the flying fish???  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:19 pm
Hairy Priest
^^I watched it on BBC America and thought the same thing... it was a really abrupt transition from the Doctor going for the screwdriver, commercial, and suddenly the shark is lying on the ground dying. But I later viewed the version broadcast on the BBC (without commercials), and that part is exactly the same.

So, no, they didn't edit something out from that particular scene on BBC America. It was just a really abrupt shift. Maybe they didn't have the budget to actually show the Doctor reaching in to grab his screwdriver out of a CG shark?

maybe it'll be in the deleted scenes when the DVD comes out.  

SaphiraStar

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 pm
I actually really liked it. Yes, there were some problems, and no, it wasn't my favorite, but it had some brilliant lines. I loved the bit with the psychic paper. xd Also, I was so excited that Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) was in it!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:22 am
True, crossing your timestreams usually causes a big hooplah of doom.

Maybe though, since the Doctor was trying to change him, there were AU's of sorts in flux throughout Kazlan's timestream. He had choices to make in life, and those choices changed from visit to visit from the Doctor.

Since nothing was set in personality or timestream at that point when the Kazlan's hugged, it couldn't be a paradox or whatever.

Also, I really enjoyed the episode. The flying fish amused me, I especially liked the little one booping the sonic with its nose.  

Cloth Roses

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

ezactron14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:42 pm
Even if your personal history is changing due to time lord meddling, having old kazran touch young kazran is still a paradox, a person cannot be two different ages at the same time and know that they are in two places at the same time.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:23 am
From a Doctor Who canon standpoint, the issue with the younger and older versions of Kazran touching isn't the creation of a time paradox, but the Blinovitch Limitation Effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinovitch_Limitation_Effect

According to the 5th Doctor story, "Mawdryn Undead", if two temporal versions of the same person touch, there's supposed to be some kind of powerful energy discharge. But I think Rose actually touched her baby self in "Father's Day", and there wasn't any kind of explosion, so...

I guess it's just one of those things the show has never been entirely consistent about. Like the TARDIS being in a state of temporal grace (so weapons don't work inside the TARDIS), or the TARDIS controls being isomorphic (so only the Doctor can use them).  

Hairy Priest
Vice Captain

Roobarb
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:03 pm
It keeping up a long and well-loved tradition in Doctor Who, that of totally contradicting what was previously stated.

Generations of Whovians have burst their brain cells trying to find excuses for all of these blips, some of which are quite ingenious... If it all started getting consistent, we'd be out of a job.  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:53 am
SaphiraStar

Kazran's blaming himself because he selfishly wanted to see the fish like all the cool kids, and that's what led to them luring a beautiful shark down from the clouds to its death.

At least that's what I always took them to be alluding to. I'm fairly certain the cut was intentional >.>  

Jettrick

Aged Noob

2,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200

Ricwulf

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:25 pm
Hairy Priest
From a Doctor Who canon standpoint, the issue with the younger and older versions of Kazran touching isn't the creation of a time paradox, but the Blinovitch Limitation Effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinovitch_Limitation_Effect

According to the 5th Doctor story, "Mawdryn Undead", if two temporal versions of the same person touch, there's supposed to be some kind of powerful energy discharge. But I think Rose actually touched her baby self in "Father's Day", and there wasn't any kind of explosion, so...

I guess it's just one of those things the show has never been entirely consistent about. Like the TARDIS being in a state of temporal grace (so weapons don't work inside the TARDIS), or the TARDIS controls being isomorphic (so only the Doctor can use them).

Hmm... I didn't know about the touching release an energy discharge. But then again, Reapers appeared because of Rose touching her younger self, and that was what I was going from..... man, I really like some of Moffat's work, but he has no regard to the whole discontinuinity. Anyway, I'm just picky like that sweatdrop  
The Doctor Who Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff