Submit

Vinchenzo The Jackal

Chatty Werewolf

7,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:56 pm
All movies made into games tend to turn out horrible in my opinion.
I mean, the last time such a thing was done and succeeded I can't even remember such a time existing.
Regardless, people mentioned the names of some movies, and they've been made into video games that were very unpopular the moment the movies were no longer in theaters. (Avatar the Last AirBender)(JC's Avatar)(Tron)(Underworld 1&2, both sucked in my opinion, never getting into a game like that again)
You see, all movie games that came out for the Xbox360 and its current compatriots (I'm sure they weren't different for the PS3 and Wii) sucked.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:24 pm
I don't think movie to game translations have to be bad, which is the biggest problem. They could be so good.

A movie tells a well thought-out story, and games... generally don't do as great a job of that, but games have so many more advantages over movies to get a person to really experience what the characters in a movie go through. You can't just translate a movie into a game without thinking about the differences in both mediums, and how each one works for it.

Imagine a Zelda movie. It sounds like it would be great in theory, right? Seeing Link battle Ganon, while you get to sit back and experience everything before your own eyes, with a more comprehensive plot. But so much of the Zelda experience comes from adventuring across large distances and stopping to enjoy the sight of something, a clever puzzle here, an interesting enemy there. This stuff is a lot harder to put through in movies, and most of the time, you just want to skip it. Resident Evil did a good job with this transition, but that's because Resident Evil is pretty cinematic in its presentation anyway.

A movie-based video game like, say, Lord of the Rings, could really help show the journey in another way. Yeah, I know, the movies are about nine hours total, but it works well as a game because it's a movie about the journey, and in video games, you are largely taking a journey, exploring things and whatnot.

A game like Scott Pilgrim, while fun, doesn't really represent what the movie is about, which is fine. Sure, you fight the evil exes, and you see the locations and characters from the movie/comic, but in the actual story, Ramona, Stills and Kim don't really fight, and Scott doesn't fight off henchman, other than a couple of times. I know it seems nitpicky, but Scott Pilgrim is more old-fashioned story with boss fights thrown in. That doesn't translate well to a game, and I understand why they made it a team beat-em-up instead, but video game translations lose a lot of their potency when they have to stray a lot from the movie to become a video game. SP covered that well with making it entirely video gamey, marketing to their obvious demographic, and no one really minded, but a game like Spiderman 2, which was not much like the movie at all, didn't do as well because it didn't represent the movie, nor video games. lol i lost my point  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:27 pm
Usually another problem is a bad developer is made to make the game with a limited budget and strict timeline.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:57 pm
I think you guys are over thinking things.
Movie-games are a gimmick. People will get the game based on whether they liked the movie or not. Developers know that, so they don't put as much effort into the game.  

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:00 pm
Nomega
Movie-games are a gimmick. People will get the game based on whether they liked the movie or not. Developers know that, so they don't put as much effort into the game.

There have been a handful of good movie games, though. It just takes time and effort, like any good game.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:24 pm
Nomega
Yeah, but they would still make a lot more money, selling the good movie games to educated gamers, if they put more time and effort into them. We know it's generally a cash-in, and they generally don't get enough time, but there's still potential.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

AKO_Slash

High-scoring Werewolf

11,650 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:35 am
Team America: World Police
The Descent - I'd probably be too freaked to play it but the machina would be intense.
The SyFy version of Alice.  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:07 pm
I honestly cant think of a good movie to game transition at the moment but a game based on AMC's The Walking Dead would be an excellent game, or even if it was based on the graphic novel which does differ in the details.

Dances-With-Goats

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:45 pm
I'll tell you what: Take any decently popular Hollywood film. If you can get a team of real hardworking developers that actually have a good budget, a good amount of time, and who've set high standards for themselves to work on turning it into a game, then that film should be turned into a game.  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:15 am
I'm sure there must be some people here who think Goldeneye is a good game right? That game was based on a movie ya know.

Movie based games can be good. I also thought Wolverine Origins for PS3 and 360 is pretty fun, but yeah.

There aren't any movies that come to mind I want to see as a game though. But I do want a good Ghost Rider game. Not necessarily based on the movie, but just a good Ghost Rider game in general.  

Mukuchina Kurasu

AKO_Slash

High-scoring Werewolf

11,650 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:58 pm
Jaycorn
I'll tell you what: Take any decently popular Hollywood film. If you can get a team of real hardworking developers that actually have a good budget, a good amount of time, and who've set high standards for themselves to work on turning it into a game, then that film should be turned into a game.

Plus, following cannon is imperative. Look at what happened to the Silent Hill movie.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:32 am
An E.T. game could be fun.

Cracked made a list.

Also, from our friends at TV Tropes, I present The Problem With Licensed Games.  

GrowingDandelion

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Junior 100

poopie702

3,250 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:43 pm
I think movie based video games can be successful if you put in actual effort. Some movies, say, ghostbusters had a few different games until somebody got it right.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:20 pm
Monster_Mario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik5_S_AtONg Personally, I vote for this one! xd

It's an amateur super-hero movie that I made!

Owow, whoever the splodgenik is who made this is so suck he would give Tommy Wisaeu a good name >_>
After all, the acting is off, and obviously no scripting was done in the making of this film. It would make a terrible and utterly pointless videomatronic endeaver

Anyway, its about time they made a decent Dr. Who game for the Wii or 3ds, preferably with David Tennant.  

Tall_Tiffani

Anzlem

Benevolent Gaian

9,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:48 pm
Hmm... I would say Rocky Balboa.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items