Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Guardians Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Allsixcolours

Lonely Genius

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 pm
erinnightwalker
Allsixcolours
erinnightwalker
Truthfully? It kinda reminds me of the whole Mobians on Earth debacle. I tend to skitter away from such groups and such claims as fast as my little legs can take me.

Mobians on Earth? The greatest part of being in this guild is getting all these groups I have never heard of brought up in replies >.< I'll go look them up, but would appreciate any other information you have on them

Don't bother. They think that they are creatures from Sonic the Hedgehog (including Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman) that were reborn on earth in human bodies and are searching for the Chaos Emeralds so they can go home. What got me was that they tended to convert all of their friends into being "reincarnated" as well. I truly thought it was a roleplayer group until I saw some of the threads.

Even if your group actually exists as a collective group instead of people who aren't "guardians" but have the attributes described (so they are seen as just Guardians who don't know what they are), the phrasing of your opening post makes me twitch because it could so easily lead to abuse. I realize this post may sound inflammatory and I truly apologize. It just rings every bell I have for "could lead to unhealthy situations".

Yes, my wording is not always as eloquent as I would like, I'm sorry you got that impression. Though... really I don't think I could word that in any way that would not bring the thought to mind. It is a very sketchy idea, I admit. Which is why, among other moral reasonings of course, I do not try to convince people that what I am saying is at least what I believe to be the truth. I think there should always be choices in life, and so I have left the decision of whether or not one should believe what I say entirely up to the individual. Just works better with ethics, in my opinion. Also, people that come because of genuine interest rather than forced consent are typically more likely to be Guardians. But now I am rambling on about things that don't matter >.< Sorry, but I'll leave one closing comment:

Mobians on Earth, really? xp I'm sorry, but that one is VERY out there. But I suppose I should give them their due chance, as I don't know that they really aren't... hedgehogs stare  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:55 am
This topic greatly interests me. I think I'll be following it.

Here's a theory. We state that there is not a group. That the Guardians do not exist as a collective, but are only joined by purpose. I get that. However, what if such a group was started?

Guardian was the word I associated with myself even before this. At my school, I had already begun the process of forming a group dedicated to social reform, so as to improve the quality of said school. However the problem has arose that very few people are dedicated enough to the cause that they are willing to help. Most people will buckle at the slightest sign of resistance from those they are willing to help.

My thoughts aren't coming out clearly on the matter, so I apologize for that.  

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Allsixcolours

Lonely Genius

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:08 pm
Sonkurra-Taichou

Here's a theory. We state that there is not a group. That the Guardians do not exist as a collective, but are only joined by purpose. I get that. However, what if such a group was started?

Guardian was the word I associated with myself even before this. At my school, I had already begun the process of forming a group dedicated to social reform, so as to improve the quality of said school. However the problem has arose that very few people are dedicated enough to the cause that they are willing to help. Most people will buckle at the slightest sign of resistance from those they are willing to help.

I think I understand what you are trying to say, no worries. I commend you on your efforts, the world truly needs more people willing to bring about changes for the better. While I will likely face much rebuttal from other members for saying so, I daresay you could very well be a guardian as well. If not, you certainly display the right mindset for being one. Its not really my thing to discuss (advertise, really) other guilds here or in any other guild, so if you are interested in learning more I'll have to ask you to PM me and I can tell you more about a place you may be interested in. However, you are already on a good track, and may not need what is offered. Up to you. I wish you luck either way in your efforts.

Ah, and that goes to anyone else interested. It may be best to PM me if you are interested in learning more, this topic was really just to let everyone know that there are opportunities for further education. (Forgive me and let me know if this infringes on any guild rules please, I'd rather not break any codes of conduct sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:13 pm
Allsixcolours
Sonkurra-Taichou

I think I understand what you are trying to say, no worries. I commend you on your efforts, the world truly needs more people willing to bring about changes for the better. While I will likely face much rebuttal from other members for saying so, I daresay you could very well be a guardian as well. If not, you certainly display the right mindset for being one. Its not really my thing to discuss (advertise, really) other guilds here or in any other guild, so if you are interested in learning more I'll have to ask you to PM me and I can tell you more about a place you may be interested in. However, you are already on a good track, and may not need what is offered. Up to you. I wish you luck either way in your efforts.

Ah, and that goes to anyone else interested. It may be best to PM me if you are interested in learning more, this topic was really just to let everyone know that there are opportunities for further education. (Forgive me and let me know if this infringes on any guild rules please, I'd rather not break any codes of conduct sweatdrop )

Honestly, I think a lot of us could use more of a Guardian mindset.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:08 pm
Oh God. I think...I think I might be a Guardian. rofl

Okay jokes aside, it might be true. If these Guardians are real, I might be one. And I'd join since I can actually agree with some of those feelings and say yes to at least part of them except the Paranormal/psionic ability part. However, I strongly do wish I had psionic powers. Oh the fun I could have and the problems that could be fixed with a single thought.

So I'll be one of the first to dive into this group you speak of.

Awaken my cold heart and reveal to me if I am what I desire! *epic opera music*  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:47 pm
Dalcain

Okay jokes aside, it might be true. If these Guardians are real, I might be one. And I'd join since I can actually agree with some of those feelings and say yes to at least part of them except the Paranormal/psionic ability part. However, I strongly do wish I had psionic powers. Oh the fun I could have and the problems that could be fixed with a single thought.

Hmm... being a guardian isn't about having special powers and abilities. If you are just looking for a way to learn psionics, which is what your post makes it seem like, there are plenty of other options. You say that much of this applies to you, but the first and foremost thought you should have is helping others, not gaining special powers, nor having fun and "fixing problems with a single thought". Now, it is entirely possible that I am reading the inflection of your post entirely incorrectly, but it seems to me as though you have a somewhat skewed idea of what a guardian is. I'd be happy to give you a chance, so long as I can be sure of your motives in learning what we have to teach you. So, I think I will refer you to my teacher, who will have a better idea of your aptitude. Again, not one to advertise here, so expect to hear from me in a PM.

(I apologize if that came off as jerkish, but I really do not think the ideas of guardianship are to be messed around with nor taken lightly. Also... I am terrible at reading post inflection, so I am really sorry if I got the wrong meaning out of what you said sweatdrop )  

Allsixcolours

Lonely Genius

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:02 pm
Allsixcolours
Dalcain

Hmm... being a guardian isn't about having special powers and abilities. If you are just looking for a way to learn psionics, which is what your post makes it seem like, there are plenty of other options. You say that much of this applies to you, but the first and foremost thought you should have is helping others, not gaining special powers, nor having fun and "fixing problems with a single thought". Now, it is entirely possible that I am reading the inflection of your post entirely incorrectly, but it seems to me as though you have a somewhat skewed idea of what a guardian is. I'd be happy to give you a chance, so long as I can be sure of your motives in learning what we have to teach you. So, I think I will refer you to my teacher, who will have a better idea of your aptitude. Again, not one to advertise here, so expect to hear from me in a PM.

(I apologize if that came off as jerkish, but I really do not think the ideas of guardianship are to be messed around with nor taken lightly. Also... I am terrible at reading post inflection, so I am really sorry if I got the wrong meaning out of what you said sweatdrop )
Oh I meant nothing of that sort. I've tried psionics and I don't have the concentration of that. I've given up on the idea entirely. I merely meant that I strongly wish I did have them so that I could do much more than just wish. The natural disasters one could stop. The crime that wouldn't exist. The creativity of my mind is greatly limited to my mind.

Imagine the revival of the wrongly executed. True justice finally being found when the murdered are given the ability to identify their killer. The innocent child that have been harmed in such a way that makes even other murders sick. This world is full of pain and suffering that should be eradicated...but even death is not enough for what will that teach others? Kill the threat and save the others?

My original post didn't feel like a safe haven to place my true feelings so I merely hid them behind my freetime desires. Making art that floats or literally pops out of the piece. I could teach children to truly believe in the will of good and the holy light. Never give up hope as long as you have the power to change the world for the better and only for the better of all.

*epic opera music plays again*

XD I question my own intentions sometimes.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:07 pm
Dalcain
Allsixcolours
Dalcain

Oh I meant nothing of that sort. I've tried psionics and I don't have the concentration of that. I've given up on the idea entirely. I merely meant that I strongly wish I did have them so that I could do much more than just wish. The natural disasters one could stop. The crime that wouldn't exist. The creativity of my mind is greatly limited to my mind.

Imagine the revival of the wrongly executed. True justice finally being found when the murdered are given the ability to identify their killer. The innocent child that have been harmed in such a way that makes even other murders sick. This world is full of pain and suffering that should be eradicated...but even death is not enough for what will that teach others? Kill the threat and save the others?

My original post didn't feel like a safe haven to place my true feelings so I merely hid them behind my freetime desires. Making art that floats or literally pops out of the piece. I could teach children to truly believe in the will of good and the holy light. Never give up hope as long as you have the power to change the world for the better and only for the better of all.

Man, you at least have a way with words XD But yes, What you say is true. Stopping those sorts of things is along the lines of what guardians aim for. Though, you would have to be real hardcore to get that involved. Hey, I'm not saying you shouldn't be, just that I myself am limited to helping others through conversation when they are down or in some sort of trouble for the time being. Unfortunately I am no superhero razz  

Allsixcolours

Lonely Genius

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:30 pm
Allsixcolours
Dalcain
Allsixcolours
Dalcain

Man, you at least have a way with words XD But yes, What you say is true. Stopping those sorts of things is along the lines of what guardians aim for. Though, you would have to be real hardcore to get that involved. Hey, I'm not saying you shouldn't be, just that I myself am limited to helping others through conversation when they are down or in some sort of trouble for the time being. Unfortunately I am no superhero razz
Yeah. That's all I can do too. I've taken up jokes as my mean attraction. All the other stuff is just talk until I find a way to achieve it.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:57 am
To quote a book, "The worst of harm comes from the best of intentions."

Be very, very careful. Lets think about this in a non-magic way for a second. If you go to help someone... lets go extreme... Say one of your friends was a rape victim, and you wanted to try to help her get over the issue. Just talking to her about it could stir up memories, bringing her to total mental breakdown. The chances of things going wrong significantly goes up when magic or psionics is involved. Now you have the chance of completely eradicating her mind. (I know I'm going way overboard here, but it's to prove a point.) The intense emotions and memories coupled with the trickle of power from a psion could very well drive someone to insanity if you are not experienced.

Also, there are two sides to a coin. While you can want to do all the good in the world, there is a WRONG way to go about it. An evil tyrant can believe he is doing the right thing.

In other words, the line between good intentions and evil actions is thin. And if you aren't incredibly careful you can cross that line, destroying everything you were working for.

And to think, none of that even talks about Guardians.
Quote:
We hold no love for the homeless
We hold no respect for the poor

No adoration towards the needy
No homage in our core

We hold no reverence for the underdog
Little honor in our heart

Watching without interest
As others' lives fall apart

There is no adulation for our peers
No thought to what we've stolen

And without uncertainty
No faith for the fallen

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:27 am
Sonkurra-Taichou

Be very, very careful. Lets think about this in a non-magic way for a second. If you go to help someone... lets go extreme... Say one of your friends was a rape victim, and you wanted to try to help her get over the issue. Just talking to her about it could stir up memories, bringing her to total mental breakdown. The chances of things going wrong significantly goes up when magic or psionics is involved. Now you have the chance of completely eradicating her mind. (I know I'm going way overboard here, but it's to prove a point.) The intense emotions and memories coupled with the trickle of power from a psion could very well drive someone to insanity if you are not experienced.

Also, there are two sides to a coin. While you can want to do all the good in the world, there is a WRONG way to go about it. An evil tyrant can believe he is doing the right thing.

In other words, the line between good intentions and evil actions is thin. And if you aren't incredibly careful you can cross that line, destroying everything you were working for.

Quote:

No homage in our core

And without uncertainty
No faith for the fallen
Indeed, this is where the trouble truly begins.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:45 pm
Sonkurra-Taichou

Quote:

No homage in our core

And without uncertainty
No faith for the fallen

Rape victim is much less extreme than you think, friend, I am dating one. You think I don't know about their problems, the things they face? I have helped a great many people, and dealt with a wide range of problems. When people stop thanking me is the day I will stop believing in my own actions, and that is not this day. I don't know what I have said that has made the Guardians out to be super heros, because we are really just as ordinary as everyone else. You fear that we go around changing society as you know it, all in the name of good. The fact of the matter is that most of our help will extend no further than comforting a heartbroken girl down the street, lending the man next door a few hundred dollars to get back on his feet when he loses his job, or helping a child lost in a store to find his family. We preform no amazing feats, we do the simple things that are now lost upon much of humanity. We carry on a frame of mind that can change a person's entire day just by one act of ours. We remind others of how people used to be when they still cared about others, still looked for ways to help their friends succeed. Humanity is plagued by a poison of selfishness and greed, which I have taken upon myself to change, one person at a time. You think I do not know the dangers of affecting others lives? I have had many failures and mistakes, but I learned from the experience and went back to fix what I had broken. Of course, you may think whatever you wish of me, but I can tell you not to expect to see me goose-stepping down the streets.

However, you bring up a noble point. "Help" should be feared just as much as as accepted. To fear your own good intentions undoing what you work for is an idea that shows much maturity, and I respect that you are able to recognize that danger.  

Allsixcolours

Lonely Genius

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:55 pm
Looks like I hit a sore spot. Too bad it wasn't even directed at you.

I never once stated anything about YOU in that, so stop getting defensive. What I'm saying is the truth. Even when helping common ails, you stated that a Guardian uses Psionics or Magic to assist. However when you do so, the reaction can be volatile at best.

Also, I never once said that Guardians existed to make large scale changes in the world. If you are going to continue to jump to conclusions, or put words in my mouth, this conversation is done with.

I dated a rape victim too. Thats why I chose the example, because I know full well what could happen. I also know that I was forced to go to court for her, to testify against her father and put the man in prison.

What I fear is the extremists. The ones who will (In the name of Guardian, or otherwise) go around and yes, attempt to shape the world in the name of Good. It's high-flying emotions that get in the way of careful thought. To quote the exact same book once again, "Passion rules reason." We are on the same side, friend, do not forget that.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:31 pm
Sonkurra-Taichou

I never once stated anything about YOU in that, so stop getting defensive. What I'm saying is the truth. Even when helping common ails, you stated that a Guardian uses Psionics or Magic to assist. However when you do so, the reaction can be volatile at best.

Also, I never once said that Guardians existed to make large scale changes in the world. If you are going to continue to jump to conclusions, or put words in my mouth, this conversation is done with.

I dated a rape victim too. Thats why I chose the example, because I know full well what could happen. I also know that I was forced to go to court for her, to testify against her father and put the man in prison.

What I fear is the extremists. The ones who will (In the name of Guardian, or otherwise) go around and yes, attempt to shape the world in the name of Good. It's high-flying emotions that get in the way of careful thought. To quote the exact same book once again, "Passion rules reason." We are on the same side, friend, do not forget that.

Extremists tend to ruin everything. It goes back to what you said about good intentions. The worst is when good intentions no longer exist and it becomes all about being "right" and everyone else being "wrong."  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Allsixcolours

Lonely Genius

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:45 pm
Sonkurra-Taichou

Today is a rather off day for me, forgive the outburst. Yes, what you say makes quite a bit of sense, I've thought about it a lot recently. As for what you have said in response to my reply, I do truly hope you forgive me. I'm taking a break from this thread for a day or two, it rather stresses me out and I have a lot going on. Please, continue to discuss any of you who are interested in the idea, its helpful to know how people think of us. Right, in hopes of returning to a level state of mind, cheerio for now.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff