Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
What's your hobby? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:59 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

Memphis is alright. I've only been here three weeks though. I like the city a lot more than I thought I would. I enjoy Beale Street even though it's kind of touristy. The downside to that is that the bars seem to be pricey.

Their lives can't be that lively if they're arguing on XBL. rofl

Bars are always pricey!! That's why liquor stores exist. wink What state did you live in before, if you don't mind me asking?

Come on man, there's nothing better in life than arguing on XBL razz Sometimes I think it's a good thing that I don't have an xbox. Then I'd never find a new job.

Bars are always pricey but I have a feeling that bars in tourist areas might be more pricey. I really don't know though; I've only been to one bar so far and $6.50 for a Maitai is too goddamn high. I agree about liquor stores. If my goal is to get drunk I just stay home. xd

I moved from rural Kentucky.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:05 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

Memphis is alright. I've only been here three weeks though. I like the city a lot more than I thought I would. I enjoy Beale Street even though it's kind of touristy. The downside to that is that the bars seem to be pricey.

Bars are always pricey!! That's why liquor stores exist. wink What state did you live in before, if you don't mind me asking?

Come on man, there's nothing better in life than arguing on XBL razz Sometimes I think it's a good thing that I don't have an xbox. Then I'd never find a new job.

Bars are always pricey but I have a feeling that bars in tourist areas might be more pricey. I really don't know though; I've only been to one bar so far and $6.50 for a Maitai is too goddamn high. I agree about liquor stores. If my goal is to get drunk I just stay home. xd

Well, you're just making your way east then. I've never been more West than Connecticut. Is it scary there? It's pretty scary here, the people freak me out and there's no public transportation.

$6.50 doesn't sound too bad compared to restaurant Maitai prices, but it's still expensive. We've been drinking bottles of wine cheaper than that since we got poor. And now I'm off wine, because cheap wine sucks redface

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:19 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

Well, you're just making your way east then. I've never been more West than Connecticut. Is it scary there? It's pretty scary here, the people freak me out and there's no public transportation.

$6.50 doesn't sound too bad compared to restaurant Maitai prices, but it's still expensive. We've been drinking bottles of wine cheaper than that since we got poor. And now I'm off wine, because cheap wine sucks redface

I actually moved west from where I was previously oriented. Scary here? Scarier than back home because Memphis does have a lot of gang activity in certain areas. Where I'm at isn't bad though. You can walk around at night. Back home there was no public transport.

I usually just buy vodka or Everclear when I just want to get drunk. I like wine every now and then though. I try to save the good stuff. I have a bottle of green Chartreuse that's had a couple of glasses out of it. Trying to make it last since it's $90 a bottle (I got this one for 50% off though). I keep meaning to use it for magic sometime.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:33 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

I actually moved west from where I was previously oriented. Scary here? Scarier than back home because Memphis does have a lot of gang activity in certain areas. Where I'm at isn't bad though. You can walk around at night. Back home there was no public transport.

I usually just buy vodka or Everclear when I just want to get drunk. I like wine every now and then though. I try to save the good stuff. I have a bottle of green Chartreuse that's had a couple of glasses out of it. Trying to make it last since it's $90 a bottle (I got this one for 50% off though). I keep meaning to use it for magic sometime.

More west? What's wrong with you? : p I always think Kentucky is near Montana for some reason. Now I see that it is right above Tennessee. Not too far of a move, unless you went from one end to the other. As much I hate the MBTA, I knew I would miss it and I was right. Store that's too far away to walk or bike? Let me just hop on the bus. No jobs anywhere nearby? Not a problem, to the train! Here if you don't have a car, forget about going anywhere.

That sounds like a sweet deal. Still expensive but I bet it's beats the pants off the stuff I drink. $3 vodka tastes much worse than $3 wine, so that's not in the cards. I much prefer vodka than anything else, I don't like having to drink so much liquid to get a buzz going, as with beer and wine.

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:35 pm
to be random, but obsc.....umm something (pardon my laziness) you said you can't find any occult groups or anthing in your city and i has a suggestion (besides googling occult, -enter city name-) here there are one or two occult/religion guilds set up in colleges  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 pm
Hmm, I'll just hop in here and start with the original question.
My hobbies and favorite activities:
Wine making, playing video games, reading about history and different religions. Also, reading and writing historical romance. But, of course, usually my focus is on the paranormal.

On a note with the rest of chat,
I'm actually visiting Boston next weekend, it's my first time and I can't wait.  

Underworld Priestess

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:22 am
Underworld Priestess
Wine making, playing video games, reading about history and different religions. Also, reading and writing historical romance. But, of course, usually my focus is on the paranormal.

Wine making sounds fun! Do you grow your own or use any special grapes?

Have fun in Boston! Be sure to tell us all about your trip.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:24 am
Vanilla eXee
Underworld Priestess

I will certainly tell about my trip. One day I would like to grow my own grapes, right now my garden is just herbs and vegetables. This past summer all that grew was the herbs. However, most of the fruit I use is all grown organicially. We get it from the local farms and the Amish. The plus of living near the Amish, they don't use chemicals on their gardens.  

Underworld Priestess

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:26 am
Underworld Priestess
Vanilla eXee
Underworld Priestess

I will certainly tell about my trip. One day I would like to grow my own grapes, right now my garden is just herbs and vegetables. This past summer all that grew was the herbs. However, most of the fruit I use is all grown organicially. We get it from the local farms and the Amish. The plus of living near the Amish, they don't use chemicals on their gardens.

That's pretty sweet. What process do you use to make the wine (just summary if it's too long to type, lol.)?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm
Vanilla eXee
Underworld Priestess
Vanilla eXee
Underworld Priestess

That's pretty sweet. What process do you use to make the wine (just summary if it's too long to type, lol.)?

It is a pretty lengthy process. It includes cleaning, cutting and mashing the fruit or vegetables and adding sugar. Which is later mixed in with wine yeast and water. Other chemicals are added depending on the wine. Then it ferments for 6 months in a bottle with an air lock on it. Usually around six months it can be bottled and racked. It is a similar process for herb wines and meads.  

Underworld Priestess

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:44 pm
Underworld Priestess
Vanilla eXee
Underworld Priestess
Vanilla eXee
Underworld Priestess

It is a pretty lengthy process. It includes cleaning, cutting and mashing the fruit or vegetables and adding sugar. Which is later mixed in with wine yeast and water. Other chemicals are added depending on the wine. Then it ferments for 6 months in a bottle with an air lock on it. Usually around six months it can be bottled and racked. It is a similar process for herb wines and meads.

Very interesting. I was actually looking into making mead myself. Do your home made wines contain sulfites?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:37 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee

More west? What's wrong with you? : p I always think Kentucky is near Montana for some reason. Now I see that it is right above Tennessee. Not too far of a move, unless you went from one end to the other. As much I hate the MBTA, I knew I would miss it and I was right. Store that's too far away to walk or bike? Let me just hop on the bus. No jobs anywhere nearby? Not a problem, to the train! Here if you don't have a car, forget about going anywhere.

That sounds like a sweet deal. Still expensive but I bet it's beats the pants off the stuff I drink. $3 vodka tastes much worse than $3 wine, so that's not in the cards. I much prefer vodka than anything else, I don't like having to drink so much liquid to get a buzz going, as with beer and wine.

I moved from Northern Kentucky so I basically traversed two whole states. Back home was the same way as your situation; if you didn't have a car you didn't go anywhere because it was 15 miles to a store.

I bought that bottle of Chartreuse after reading about it in a book on occultism. It has interesting properties, similar to absinthe but not quite. When it comes to just getting drunk I don't usually care what it tastes like as long as I have a chaser (even water will do).

BSPBleach
to be random, but obsc.....umm something (pardon my laziness) you said you can't find any occult groups or anthing in your city and i has a suggestion (besides googling occult, -enter city name-) here there are one or two occult/religion guilds set up in colleges

That's a good idea. It would be a better one if I was attending a college but it still might be a good place to look. Thanks for the advice.

Underworld Priestess

I've dabbled in wine making before. Some of my stuff turned out pretty well but most of it is just hooch. sweatdrop  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:03 pm
Obscurus

I moved from Northern Kentucky so I basically traversed two whole states. Back home was the same way as your situation; if you didn't have a car you didn't go anywhere because it was 15 miles to a store.

I bought that bottle of Chartreuse after reading about it in a book on occultism. It has interesting properties, similar to absinthe but not quite. When it comes to just getting drunk I don't usually care what it tastes like as long as I have a chaser (even water will do).

It's not that bad here, we have grocery stores/markets within biking distance (I believe the nearest grocery store is about 6 miles away, but there's a market down the street) but any place that I'm actually interested in shopping at is pretty much an hours drive away. The real killer is that there are no fish or reptile stores close enough to justify the gas money, and no good Asian food places in the entire state almost. My cousin always taunts me on FB whenever he goes to our favorite restaurant. I'm very used to having the entire world at my fingertips. Pretty much anything I wanted I could get in Boston if I had money for train fare.

I care to an extent. Cheap vodka tastes like rubbing alcohol. I used to be able to drink anything, then there were a few times when I had one too many and now I'm more reserved. Tonight we have vodka, our neighbors decided to share ^^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:11 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

It's not that bad here, we have grocery stores/markets within biking distance (I believe the nearest grocery store is about 6 miles away, but there's a market down the street) but any place that I'm actually interested in shopping at is pretty much an hours drive away. The real killer is that there are no fish or reptile stores close enough to justify the gas money, and no good Asian food places in the entire state almost. My cousin always taunts me on FB whenever he goes to our favorite restaurant. I'm very used to having the entire world at my fingertips. Pretty much anything I wanted I could get in Boston if I had money for train fare.

I care to an extent. Cheap vodka tastes like rubbing alcohol. I used to be able to drink anything, then there were a few times when I had one too many and now I'm more reserved. Tonight we have vodka, our neighbors decided to share ^^

I'm used to stocking up on things once or twice a week to save gas because stores were far away. I have most anything I could want down the street a mile or two now and it's really convenient.

I had a bad experience with cheap vodka once but it's not the vodka's fault. I just avoid that brand now out of principle. Almost like a memorial for that night. rofl  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:18 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

I'm used to stocking up on things once or twice a week to save gas because stores were far away. I have most anything I could want down the street a mile or two now and it's really convenient.

I had a bad experience with cheap vodka once but it's not the vodka's fault. I just avoid that brand now out of principle. Almost like a memorial for that night. rofl

Yes, big city living is great. It's expensive though, that's why we moved here. Really cheap rent and shared utilities. Being away from my mother is worth the inconvenience, b***h is crazy. I miss my little brother a lot though.

Lol, it's not the vodka's fault. Good line! Bad night? My worst experience was with Smirnoff, but it's a decent cheap vodka so I can't afford to hold a grudge.

The Café (General Chat)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff