Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Monthly Lesson/Contests? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OptimaClonic5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:05 am
Chisa

I was thinking we could start with the most basic design principles (OptimaClonic5? Anyone else know much about that stuff?), and then move on from there. Or, we could start with techincal stuff like HTML, which should be easier to learn and teach than the design stuff, since its less intuitive and more knowledge based.

Opinions? More suggestions?

I agree on that - every one needs a foundation to build on. If the foundation is rocky the building is not going to last that long. So people in graphic design definetly need to have good knowledge of what to consider first when approaching a project.

I'll get started on it right away! Should I just post the tutorial on the main thread?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:38 am
Wow, that was fast!

Okay, yeah, post it in a new thread. I think it'll be easier to keep each lesson in a separate thread, and people can post questions and their submissions or whatever in the one thread.

This is gonna be a bit of work; are you sure you're up for it? The format is up to you, link to online references and tutorials if you think they're useful.

No rush, we don't have very many members at the moment, so I think we could run this lesson for longer than a month.

Can't wait! xd I have a lot to learn.  

Chisa
Vice Captain

silvertabby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:16 am
I think that's a great idea. I'm sorry that I can't teach because I just don't enough about computer graphics. But I want to learn.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:44 pm
i think we should hae more lessons that aren't computer based
i don't really have any good graphic design programmes on this computer... i suppose i could try on the school ones in a free period or something
definately wanna learn html  

Acis

Kitsunehime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:05 pm
Acis
i think we should hae more lessons that aren't computer based
i don't really have any good graphic design programmes on this computer... i suppose i could try on the school ones in a free period or something
definately wanna learn html

Non-computer based . . . will origami do? Though I think it would be tough to do a tutorial for that. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:13 pm
oragami rocks!! that would be a good lesson

i'm gonna toddle off to bed cos i have to get up early tomorrow cos we're going on holiday to amsterdam!!
so goodbye for five days everyone!!  

Acis

GhoSt-X

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:35 pm
i onli have 3 gb sad

if you want to do it in your own FTP client, here are the details.

servername : ftp.buitek.com
username : gfx@buitek.com
password : (password removed)

your files will be under http://gfx.buitek.com/

try to keep all graphics within a reasonable size prefable below 640x480 and < 100kb the smaller the better.. if you wish to put any webpages up ..create a subdirectory ... but be sure to ask me as well ...
at some stage ill add a php upload script to make things easier ^__^  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Uh... dude are you sure its a good idea to just be putting the password and all up so publicly?

Oh well, I guess its up to you sweatdrop  

Chisa
Vice Captain

GhoSt-X

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:49 pm
as to chisa comment ..
pm me now to get the details ..  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:45 pm
moogle.buitek.com

it some ecourse scipt for building tutes n stuff ..
dunno how to use it yet tho ..  

GhoSt-X

tiranaki

Fashionable Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:54 am
Chisa

Typography
Colour theory
Basic design principles
Things related to print

If no one has offered yet, I took a typograhy course in University, as well as color theory, design principles and definetly a lot of things related to print. Maybe too many things. The whole curriculum revolves around graphic arts for print.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:12 am
tiranaki
Chisa

Typography
Colour theory
Basic design principles
Things related to print

If no one has offered yet, I took a typograhy course in University, as well as color theory, design principles and definetly a lot of things related to print. Maybe too many things. The whole curriculum revolves around graphic arts for print.

Fantastic! OptimaClonic5 has already offered to do a first tutorial on design principles, but if you guys want to collaborate on it, it might spread the workload a little wink

And I'm glad we have a print expert here! It'll be great to have some tutorials on that later. Colour theory could maybe come after design principles, or be part of it? I don't know, I wish I was at design school sad  

Chisa
Vice Captain

jam-wired

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:00 am
Chisa
Fantastic! OptimaClonic5 has already offered to do a first tutorial on design principles, but if you guys want to collaborate on it, it might spread the workload a little wink

And I'm glad we have a print expert here! It'll be great to have some tutorials on that later. Colour theory could maybe come after design principles, or be part of it? I don't know, I wish I was at design school sad

I don't think there's a specific way it's taught; it really depends on the school. The school I'm going to right now is very Bauhaus/Swiss design, so we started out with really basic color/shape/placement/etc. theory (without it being explained, of course) -- it all makes sense now (I'm going into my senior year).

I've also taken classes in Photoshop/Illustrator/Quark, and I've been using them in the field for 5 years, so I could do technical tutorials as well as theory-based tutorials. I'm not sure how much time I'll have once school starts (tomorrow, eep!), but it sounds like fun.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:33 am
i could help with color theory. actually i would like to.  

edison

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:20 pm
I started a sticky with a list of all the possible lessons. Check it out. biggrin  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff