Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Athiesm + Theism = Same Thing. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KadoJJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:51 pm
Hmm.. I think Atheism is itself a belief. (well, duh...) Therefore, it has sub-beliefs. Morals, however, are a different issue. Morals come from within one's self.. sorta like separation of church and state. If you derive your morals from an external belif system outside personal experience ("seeing God" doesn't count as personal experience -.-; ), there's something fundamentally wrong...  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:13 pm
KadoJJ
Hmm.. I think Atheism is itself a belief. (well, duh...) Therefore, it has sub-beliefs. Morals, however, are a different issue. Morals come from within one's self.. sorta like separation of church and state. If you derive your morals from an external belif system outside personal experience ("seeing God" doesn't count as personal experience -.-; ), there's something fundamentally wrong...

I still say Atheism is not a belief but the "absence of." But what 'sub beliefs' are you talking about? To be Atheist you simply don't believe in a God/Gods or god like beings. What 'sub' categories can you fit in there that aren't individually chosen morals?  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:48 pm
I don't think something counts as a 'belief' when you're looking at it like- "There is no___ since I have never seen nor heard of any proof of ___. I know that ___ ___ and until I get proof about____, I can't blindly trust that there is ____."
In other words, although you phrase it as 'I don't believe in the existence of any gods,' atheism really isn't a belief in the same way theism is.

You can argue that atheism and theism are opposites, but only as far as saying one involves there being gods and the other no gods. You can't really get into anything more specific.

Maybe you could argue that very extreme atheistic views are 'beliefs.' By that I mean people who claim to know everything with 100% infallible certainty. They can't, so technically it's more of a belief. But in general people recognize that it's at least possible to be proved wrong, so you still can't really make a blanket statement based on that.

But of course, you could chose to define belief broadly enough to make atheism count as one xD

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff