Reply Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild
God Child Licensed by VIZ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Izumi-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:49 pm
Acctually, it seems that they will be doing all of Count Cain as well as God Child. They are just doing God Child first. Amazon.com maid a list of the new VIZ projects and Cain is one of them. It is still upcoming though.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:00 pm
Can you link me kind person?  

BlackHat
Crew

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:25 pm
Izumi-san
Acctually, it seems that they will be doing all of Count Cain as well as God Child. They are just doing God Child first. Amazon.com maid a list of the new VIZ projects and Cain is one of them. It is still upcoming though.

I hope you're right. I can't find any info on this myself.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:34 am
BlackHat
No, we got that in the US, but worse. The people who think like that have no BRAINS!

Anyway I emailed VIZ about keeping their mits of Yuki-sensei's manga (in a nice way)
I advise you all do the same, or who knows what would happen next!

*thinks about Boys Next Door being licensed and all of the yaoi n00bs going after it*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hate yaoi noobs...

Oh, come on..! ::sigh::
I hate n00bs too, but why don't we all just ignore them and hope they will die a painful death or something? I mean, one of my great wishes are to read all Kaori Yuki's works on paper, in tankoubon. If that means there're gonna be tons of fangirls swirling around the forums, then sure! Whatever! I just don't read their stupid posts and hope someone deletes them..! I think it's a lot better to read books, than to read on the computer.

And my advice is to e-mail VIZ and support them for releasing Kaori Yuki's stuff! 3nodding  

Sonoshi
Crew

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:26 am
Well said, Sono! 3nodding

n00bs are annouing, but let's admit it. We'v all been like that sometime.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:07 am
Sonoshi
BlackHat
No, we got that in the US, but worse. The people who think like that have no BRAINS!

Anyway I emailed VIZ about keeping their mits of Yuki-sensei's manga (in a nice way)
I advise you all do the same, or who knows what would happen next!

*thinks about Boys Next Door being licensed and all of the yaoi n00bs going after it*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hate yaoi noobs...

Oh, come on..! ::sigh::
I hate n00bs too, but why don't we all just ignore them and hope they will die a painful death or something? I mean, one of my great wishes are to read all Kaori Yuki's works on paper, in tankoubon. If that means there're gonna be tons of fangirls swirling around the forums, then sure! Whatever! I just don't read their stupid posts and hope someone deletes them..! I think it's a lot better to read books, than to read on the computer.

And my advice is to e-mail VIZ and support them for releasing Kaori Yuki's stuff! 3nodding

I dont really like the job Viz and Tokyopop are doing actually.
I think the corporate honchos up there know little and care less about what theyre doing than getting the maximum amount of profit out of it.
At one point, in its early days, maybe Tokyopop had the intention to bring Japanese media to American fans.
These days, now that they see that there is a blossoming market for it, they know they have a cash-cow on their hands and will milk it until it is sapped of all its strength and beauty.

I don't like what theyre doing to my manga. I think the job they do is shoddy and those two companies have been in business for the longest.
(Tokyopop was once the purveyor of Mixx manga...do any of you remember that? and Tokyopop magazine which is now gone).
And Viz is the American counterpart of Shueisha publishing which knocks me over because you'd think that they'd be better at what they did, but no, the two companies are linked only in name...

The only company that commercially translates manga right now that I have any respect for is DelRay...I really love what theyve done, theyve faithfully reproduced the original with high quality, translations that haven't been censored, watered down or DUMBED down. They dont obscure the pages with massive boldfaced sound effects. They dont try to erase the cultural references, rather they explain each one in detail in the rear of each manga.
You can learn from reading DelRay's manga, you can actually get a good feel of what the original had meant to be. The humor is intact, the complex wordplay of the Japanese language is explained.

Viz and Tokyopop have simply generated a genre for the increasingly illiterate youth. Simple language, flashy art, nothing you really have to think about...and I dont think thats what manga should be. Picture books for the lazy and mindless.

It generates misconceptions about the artform both in new "fans" and people who walk into the bookstore and see the shelves and shelves of manga preempting literature.

Yes, manga is escapism, but not all of it has to be like a cheap action flick or a soap opera.
But what attracts more kids better than a cheap thrill...?
Viz and Tokyopop and all the other companies jumping on the gravy train want to capitalize on the fact that young people today are just jonesing for their next quick hit of "cool".  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Sonoshi
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:45 am
Sai-kun
I think the corporate honchos up there know little and care less about what theyre doing than getting the maximum amount of profit out of it.
At one point, in its early days, maybe Tokyopop had the intention to bring Japanese media to American fans.
These days, now that they see that there is a blossoming market for it, they know they have a cash-cow on their hands and will milk it until it is sapped of all its strength and beauty.

I don't like what theyre doing to my manga. I think the job they do is shoddy and those two companies have been in business for the longest.
(Tokyopop was once the purveyor of Mixx manga...do any of you remember that? and Tokyopop magazine which is now gone).
And Viz is the American counterpart of Shueisha publishing which knocks me over because you'd think that they'd be better at what they did, but no, the two companies are linked only in name...

The only company that commercially translates manga right now that I have any respect for is DelRay...I really love what theyve done, theyve faithfully reproduced the original with high quality, translations that haven't been censored, watered down or DUMBED down. They dont obscure the pages with massive boldfaced sound effects. They dont try to erase the cultural references, rather they explain each one in detail in the rear of each manga.
You can learn from reading DelRay's manga, you can actually get a good feel of what the original had meant to be. The humor is intact, the complex wordplay of the Japanese language is explained.

Viz and Tokyopop have simply generated a genre for the increasingly illiterate youth. Simple language, flashy art, nothing you really have to think about...and I dont think thats what manga should be. Picture books for the lazy and mindless.

It generates misconceptions about the artform both in new "fans" and people who walk into the bookstore and see the shelves and shelves of manga preempting literature.

Yes, manga is escapism, but not all of it has to be like a cheap action flick or a soap opera.
Viz and Tokyopop and all the other companies jumping on the gravy train want to capitalize on the fact that young people today are just jonesing for their next quick hit of "cool".

stare Gimme a break...

Sanekazura
And they think they're so special, now that they've found a hobby that's so special and unique, when they're just doing what everyone else does. Many fans are so mean and a bunch of know-it-alls.

...does someone here understands what I'm trying to say with this post? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:46 am
Sai-kun

Whoa... I get your whole point. But by taking on mangas like Angel Sanctuary and Godchild, they're taking on a great risk, when one thinks about it.

Angel Sanctuary deals with very controversial themes; Incest, challenging Christianity, and so on... I would hardly place Viz's decision of taking on AS besides their choice of doing a more 'normal' manga like Boys over Flowers, where one could pass off the latter as an easy way to earn money. AS has the capability to repulse as much as it has the ability to attract. I've got friends who find AS just disgusting, due to the incest content, and I think if I showed it to my religious relatives, they'd probably ask me to stop reading it. So by publishing such a manga with hardly commercial content, aren't they taking a potential risk?

I mean, sure, one can say that their earnings from other manga sales can easily recover the cost. But when one thinks about it, they're also helping spread a good artist's masterpieces to the masses. Isn't that what everyone wants for their favorite artist? For her masterpieces to be finally appreciated by those who would have never heard of her otherwise?

Yeah, I know, we get the rabid fangirls too. But for every say, 20 rabid fangirls, there might be 1 who actually appreciates the mangas the way we do, if not more. And well, to me, that makes all the bad translations and SFXs worth it.

But that's just my input. blaugh

*On a fangirly note: Poor Snow Owl... Now one of the most unknown characters ever is going to get fangirls who don't really appreciate his character, only his appearance. Well, there's always that... wink  

Shura Yukihime

Izumi-san

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:12 am
BlackHat

I don't have the link sorry. But I read the LiveJournal of this girl who does Cain for Sakura-Crisis and she has said that Cain is going to be published.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:43 pm
Izumi-san
BlackHat

I don't have the link sorry. But I read the LiveJournal of this girl who does Cain for Sakura-Crisis and she has said that Cain is going to be published.

It's probably Katze. She scares me sweatdrop , I have her x-changed links with me for my blog and she still scares me sweatdrop .  

Moonlit Masquerade

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:17 pm
Shura Yukihime

Whoa... I get your whole point. But by taking on mangas like Angel Sanctuary and Godchild, they're taking on a great risk, when one thinks about it.

Angel Sanctuary deals with very controversial themes; Incest, challenging Christianity, and so on... I would hardly place Viz's decision of taking on AS besides their choice of doing a more 'normal' manga like Boys over Flowers, where one could pass off the latter as an easy way to earn money. AS has the capability to repulse as much as it has the ability to attract. I've got friends who find AS just disgusting, due to the incest content, and I think if I showed it to my religious relatives, they'd probably ask me to stop reading it. So by publishing such a manga with hardly commercial content, aren't they taking a potential risk?

I mean, sure, one can say that their earnings from other manga sales can easily recover the cost. But when one thinks about it, they're also helping spread a good artist's masterpieces to the masses. Isn't that what everyone wants for their favorite artist? For her masterpieces to be finally appreciated by those who would have never heard of her otherwise?

Yeah, I know, we get the rabid fangirls too. But for every say, 20 rabid fangirls, there might be 1 who actually appreciates the mangas the way we do, if not more. And well, to me, that makes all the bad translations and SFXs worth it.

But that's just my input. blaugh

*On a fangirly note: Poor Snow Owl... Now one of the most unknown characters ever is going to get fangirls who don't really appreciate his character, only his appearance. Well, there's always that... wink

I'm not really worried about Viz or Tokyopop taking on controversial titles, I mean they can't stick to G-rated stuff all the time.
It's their choice whether they take the risk, right?
I just in general dont like popular media because they ******** things up more often than they do any good at all.
It's one thing to share art with a bigger audience, its another thing to reference avril lavigne in them and such blasphemy.
Its like scrawling a moustache on the Mona Lisa, in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:33 pm
Sonoshi
Sai-kun

stare Gimme a break...

Sanekazura
And they think they're so special, now that they've found a hobby that's so special and unique, when they're just doing what everyone else does. Many fans are so mean and a bunch of know-it-alls.

...does someone here understands what I'm trying to say with this post? sweatdrop

I can be an elitist b***h about it, I grew up with the stuff and while I always like having other people to talk about my hobbies with (hence why I endure Gaia and only post in this guild these days). I admit it wholeheartedly. But I have legitimate reasons for not liking this new turn in the fad.
I dont like American media. Period. In all honesty, the US is the most back wards redneck country I know. ******** Bush up the a** (are you reading this Bush?), ******** the country and its free-market luring public and governmental policy around by the nose. ******** the media turning the minds of Generation Y to goo in their skulls...its just not cool what the big white collar corporations are doing to something I love and take very seriously.
Think of your favorite hobby, you don't want some company who only gets off on money to come over and tart it up like a cheap whore and start pimping it out to poseur children do you?
If they just took the cheap sleazy glitz off of commercially translated manga and published it with just the glossy color slip cover the way Japanese manga is done:
a) they could cut costs BIG TIME. No more double digit prices for your manga. How do you think the companies like Hakusensha and Shueisha can churn these things out like Model-Ts?
b) maybe it would detract from the hype and back onto the legitimate art and story.
c) it wouldnt look so adolescent, so maybe people not in the know might take it seriously. (that manager in the brentano's I interviewed didn't have such a good view of manga taking over his store)
LOL! So true love  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Shura Yukihime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:58 pm
Sai-kun

I'm not really worried about Viz or Tokyopop taking on controversial titles, I mean they can't stick to G-rated stuff all the time.
I just in general dont like popular media because they ******** things up more often than they do any good at all.
It's one thing to share art with a bigger audience, its another thing to reference avril lavigne in them and such blasphemy.

Hmmm... if not for the popular media, well, I'd have a hard time getting my hands on versions of Kaori Yuki's books I can read otherwise.

But back to the topic, of course there's the risk that Viz, while doing Godchild might screw up, but that could also mean that the Chinese version of the entire series that I own has mistakes of its own, which in turn means that I might have been mistaken about parts of the story all this while. The same goes for Angel Sanctuary which has just begun being republished by the same company.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:12 pm
Shura Yukihime
Sai-kun

Hmmm... if not for the popular media, well, I'd have a hard time getting my hands on versions of Kaori Yuki's books I can read otherwise.

But back to the topic, of course there's the risk that Viz, while doing Godchild might screw up, but that could also mean that the Chinese version of the entire series that I own has mistakes of its own, which in turn means that I might have been mistaken about parts of the story all this while. The same goes for Angel Sanctuary which has just begun being republished by the same company.

AS is refreshingly untampered with, so far. I dont own any english copies myself, but Ive ganked them from a friend.
I just dont have 11 bucks to spend for a single hit ^_^;

omanga.net has really good translations. Jahannam.net has translations up to book...15 or so, maybe more now, I havent checked in a while.
I have a site that has excellent translations for all of God Child (this one definitly helped me understand the ending -_-; Even with them on hand it took a while of sitting and pondering to get everything straight in my head o_O )
And of course, good old Sakura crisis and its scanlations.
I live by scanlations and translations. They're done by fans and for fans, and I think they put more effort towards maintaining the integrity of the original than many commercial translators (ADV, oh god...the pain!! Have you read Tactics? It's been mauled ;_; Such a cute series...I want to get the Tactics artbook...tangent.)  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Sonoshi
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:14 am
Sai-kun
I live by scanlations and translations. They're done by fans and for fans, and I think they put more effort towards maintaining the integrity of the original than many commercial translators (ADV, oh god...the pain!! Have you read Tactics? It's been mauled ;_; Such a cute series...I want to get the Tactics artbook...tangent.)

Then maybe it's just me, I don't like staring at the computer when I read manga. And I get a better impression of the layout and so on when I see the whole page at once. So I guess that's why I'm thankful when the manga is published. (And, no... I don't think Tokyopop and VIZ makes a bad work. I like reading manga in english more than swedish, 'cause the swedish translations are so.... wierd... sweatdrop )
Still, that doesn't mean I dislike scanlations! I mean, if it weren't for s-c.net I wouldn't even heard of Kaori Yuki! 3nodding  
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff