The Photographer
View Results

minimishi

6,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:55 pm
i had no intention of being rude, and i'm sorry if it came across that way, but i have been to a few cons, and seen images that are similar in style to these, but with a handful of people in them. obviously alot of time went into them, and i can tell, your photoshopping is amazing. Now that i know more about the premiss of the project, the same location doesn't bother me.

that is an amazing reason to have so many cat photos! your a good person to help some one like that! i have tons of photos of my pets too... so i understand using them as a learning tool!

again i never meant to be rude, or mean in anyway. you are talented, and i hope you keep it up!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:33 pm
minimishi
i had no intention of being rude, and i'm sorry if it came across that way, but i have been to a few cons, and seen images that are similar in style to these, but with a handful of people in them. obviously alot of time went into them, and i can tell, your photoshopping is amazing. Now that i know more about the premiss of the project, the same location doesn't bother me.

that is an amazing reason to have so many cat photos! your a good person to help some one like that! i have tons of photos of my pets too... so i understand using them as a learning tool!

again i never meant to be rude, or mean in anyway. you are talented, and i hope you keep it up!

It's fine, I'm just a little tenchy these days when it comes to my photos because I get stick for them. Getting some positive feedback is a shocker for me, I never get it from my uni.

I've almost finished my book on my friends cats, it'll be the second one I've made for her documenting her fluffs. Hopefully I can go round there on Saturday and get some more images to put in. One thing I've used cats for a lot is focus and angling, because if the cat is hot / full enough it becomes incredibly lazy so they just sit there, allowing you to move around them constantly. The first one was titled The Fluffs, the second will be The Furry Twelve and the third [if it happens] will be called Desaturate because she has a lot of black and white cats ^^

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100

minimishi

6,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:11 pm
I understand about positive feedback... sometimes you need more then "this would be good if..." i have gotten that alot, and it just makes you not want to pick up the camera for a while... but you do have talent! so dont quit!

thats cute! i like the "Desaturate" title... you could even throw in some desaturated photos... lol it would be PUN-ny lol ok i'll stop that!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:57 pm
Warning: When people ask for my criticism, I tend to be harsh. lol Remember, everything I am about to say is to help you become better and is absolutely at my own opinion and not technically the opinion of others, or yourself. 3nodding

All of the cosplay doubles/multiples are nothing more than snapshots with edits. Yes, the edits are nice, superb even, but the style of the photo is rather bland. I would suggest going out in different places, such as a park, a woods, buildings, etc, and taking the photos in early morning and evening when the fog is set and the light is at it's "golden hour".

Now for the landscapes. Most of them seem like snapshots as well. My advice here is to work on composition. Some of them would have probably looked better if the foreground was darker. Giving it a silhouette feel. My favorite one out of the landscapes that I felt I could NOT go without telling you great job, is this one....

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy216/Commander-5AM/Sunsets/DSCF6406.jpg

I LOVE the colours on this image. And the whole feel with the composition.

Now, for the cat photos. Most of them seem like snapshots as well. With a cheaper camera it can be REALLY difficult to do animal portraits. Most of the time they DO come out as just snapshots and not aesthetic photography. This is where exposure control, and depth of field come into play. However, with all of this said, I really liked this image.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy216/Commander-5AM/The Furry 12/DSCF7124.jpg

The expression on the cat's face is great. Which is a MUST I feel, to come out with a good animal portrait. Take for example the portrait of my Rottweiler, Bubals. He is giving me a confused sort of face, and the "The Smallest Thoughts" photo and how the kittens are looking in the same direction and it seems as though something is on their mind. Most of the time getting that perfect expression can be some of the hardest things.

Now, with the macros. For the most part the depth of field is good, but the composition isn't quite there. Neither the lighting. The lighting is rather bland and more like a snapshot as well. This is where I think you should buy, or have a speedlite handy, to fill in shadows and control the light within your shot.

I hope I wasn't too harsh. sweatdrop

Uriah Galleries
Vice Captain

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:59 pm
Uriah Galleries
Warning: When people ask for my criticism, I tend to be harsh. lol Remember, everything I am about to say is to help you become better and is absolutely at my own opinion and not technically the opinion of others, or yourself. 3nodding

All of the cosplay doubles/multiples are nothing more than snapshots with edits. Yes, the edits are nice, superb even, but the style of the photo is rather bland. I would suggest going out in different places, such as a park, a woods, buildings, etc, and taking the photos in early morning and evening when the fog is set and the light is at it's "golden hour".

Now for the landscapes. Most of them seem like snapshots as well. My advice here is to work on composition. Some of them would have probably looked better if the foreground was darker. Giving it a silhouette feel. My favorite one out of the landscapes that I felt I could NOT go without telling you great job, is this one....

Now, for the cat photos. Most of them seem like snapshots as well. With a cheaper camera it can be REALLY difficult to do animal portraits. Most of the time they DO come out as just snapshots and not aesthetic photography. This is where exposure control, and depth of field come into play. However, with all of this said, I really liked this image.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy216/Commander-5AM/The Furry 12/DSCF7124.jpg

The expression on the cat's face is great. Which is a MUST I feel, to come out with a good animal portrait. Take for example the portrait of my Rottweiler, Bubals. He is giving me a confused sort of face, and the "The Smallest Thoughts" photo and how the kittens are looking in the same direction and it seems as though something is on their mind. Most of the time getting that perfect expression can be some of the hardest things.

Now, with the macros. For the most part the depth of field is good, but the composition isn't quite there. Neither the lighting. The lighting is rather bland and more like a snapshot as well. This is where I think you should buy, or have a speedlite handy, to fill in shadows and control the light within your shot.

You basically just told me all my best work is utter s**t and look like tourist snaps -.-; Thanks a bunch for helping with my confidence issue.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:41 pm
MadSam123
Uriah Galleries

You basically just told me all my best work is utter s**t and look like tourist snaps -.-; Thanks a bunch for helping with my confidence issue.

You asked for my criticism. I don't sugar coat things when people ask me for criticism. Your shots are not that bad, they're just bland. Better than the normal tourist though. (most of them) Just work on the things I listed. Composition, lighting, etc. 3nodding  

Uriah Galleries
Vice Captain

scelestic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:00 pm
Its seems that you cant take criticism well which is not good if you plan to pursue photography. Not everyone will hold your hand and tell you your amazing even if your not because if they did you would never improve. Others have made good points so it is pointless to go over them again. I think you would benefit from a good beginner photography class. See if you can get yourself into one or even a local photography club. Remember advice from those that are more experienced is not meant to hurt you but to help you grow as a photographer.

Edit: Something that no one has talked about with your photos is lighting. You don't seem to be paying attention to lighting at all while the compositions are good which is why your images fall short. The cospay ones seem to have been shot in the middle of the day when the sun is high and casting harsh shadows on your scene. You should try again but closer to sunset or if you want to get up really early then sun rise. Another option would be a day where there are a lot of clouds in the sky (they act as diffusers).  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:31 pm
Uriah Galleries
MadSam123
Uriah Galleries

You asked for my criticism. I don't sugar coat things when people ask me for criticism. Your shots are not that bad, they're just bland. Better than the normal tourist though. (most of them) Just work on the things I listed. Composition, lighting, etc. 3nodding

I asked for your feedback, not for your criticism. You basically just gave me another reason to give up.  

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:40 pm
scelestic
Its seems that you cant take criticism well which is not good if you plan to pursue photography. Not everyone will hold your hand and tell you your amazing even if your not because if they did you would never improve. Others have made good points so it is pointless to go over them again. I think you would benefit from a good beginner photography class. See if you can get yourself into one or even a local photography club. Remember advice from those that are more experienced is not meant to hurt you but to help you grow as a photographer.

Edit: Something that no one has talked about with your photos is lighting. You don't seem to be paying attention to lighting at all while the compositions are good which is why your images fall short. The cospay ones seem to have been shot in the middle of the day when the sun is high and casting harsh shadows on your scene. You should try again but closer to sunset or if you want to get up really early then sun rise. Another option would be a day where there are a lot of clouds in the sky (they act as diffusers).

No, I can't take it very well. That's what you get for going through years and years of s**t then being told you practically fail at everything. Everything that's been pointed out is basically just saying 'Just do the pictures again'. I paid attention to everything as much as I could and all I get is 'oh thats crap' 'that looks like a simple snap that you've edited' I have been working my a** off trying to take photos that I'm proud of and guess what? I still can't look at any of my pictures with pride. And I probably never will.

I don't expect people to sit there and give me nothing but praise, but I don't like harsh comments like 'Oh that looks like a simple snap' or 'The picture looks incredibly bland' because it makes me want to give the ******** up. I have no self confidence, I said that in my original post. I hoped that joining a guild and sharing my work would help with that, but instead it's making me feel even worse because everyone is better than me and I'm the only one that ever gets negative feedback.

The cosplay images were supposed to have shadows, my teacher said if I was going to edit them like that he wanted harsh shadows so he could judge that my editing had been done decently, otherwise they would just look like I'd cut them out and they'd all be flat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:44 pm
Uriah Galleries

Feedback means criticism. You PMed me telling you want better feedback then just "that looks pretty". You shouldn't ever give up. When I first started all of my shots were bland.

Well unfortunately due to being brought up thinking I'm a failure at everything I do give up incredibly easily. And learning that pictures that I thought were decent are piles of s**t just makes me want to throw in the towel along with everything else I've attempted to do in life.

I've been taking photos since I was 16, so that's roughly 5 years. If I don't have it down by now what's the point. I never wanted to do photography as a job anyway, it was a hobby I wanted to get better at.

Uriah Galleries
Vice Captain

Uriah Galleries
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:38 pm
Uriah Galleries
Madsam123
Uriah Galleries

Feedback means criticism. You PMed me telling you want better feedback then just "that looks pretty". You shouldn't ever give up. When I first started all of my shots were bland.

Well unfortunately due to being brought up thinking I'm a failure at everything I do give up incredibly easily. And learning that pictures that I thought were decent are piles of s**t just makes me want to throw in the towel along with everything else I've attempted to do in life.

I've been taking photos since I was 16, so that's roughly 5 years. If I don't have it down by now what's the point. I never wanted to do photography as a job anyway, it was a hobby I wanted to get better at.

Your work really is not that bad. Composition is what got you most of the time, and the subject in general. You have just had bad teachers. I am here to help. There is something you need to watch, and I want you to listen to what he says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHKa6GB5nS8

That's exactly what my teacher did to me and it's what my teachers do to me in uni as well. They tell me to give the ******** up, they throw my work in my face and they rip it up. For my book project I ended up spending over £400 on it because my teacher ripped up my first three final books. I didn't eat properly for two months because of that, I had no money to buy food so I ended up living off water and chocolate that I had left over from Christmas stashed away in my cupboard. Eventually my mother picked me up and took me home against my will and practically forced a meal down my throat, but that's enough of that.

Personally I think my main problem is I was raised to think that I'm a failure in everything. I still get it to this day. My dad never calls me unless he needs money, my mother disowned me when she found out I might be a lesbian and my siblings just say I've failed at everything in my life. My flatmates aren't a help either, I might have a job soon and all they can say about it is 'Don't get your hopes up'. That, and wanting to take something different. Everything I photograph I've seen taken before and it's always better than mine.

The only photo I've ever taken that I've been proud of is this one on my DA. Sure there is a bit of it that is a little out of focus and there is probably too much light glare on the papers, but I like it.

http://tmntleo.deviantart.com/art/Work-and-Play-202845469

It was for a self portrait competition of which we had to describe us in a simple picture. I won third place. Of course this wasn't good enough for my family hence why it now rots on my DA page with all my other failures.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:37 pm
Uriah Galleries
Uriah Galleries
Madsam123
Uriah Galleries

Your work really is not that bad. Composition is what got you most of the time, and the subject in general. You have just had bad teachers. I am here to help. There is something you need to watch, and I want you to listen to what he says.

That's exactly what my teacher did to me and it's what my teachers do to me in uni as well. They tell me to give the ******** up, they throw my work in my face and they rip it up. For my book project I ended up spending over £400 on it because my teacher ripped up my first three final books. I didn't eat properly for two months because of that, I had no money to buy food so I ended up living off water and chocolate that I had left over from Christmas stashed away in my cupboard. Eventually my mother picked me up and took me home against my will and practically forced a meal down my throat, but that's enough of that.

Personally I think my main problem is I was raised to think that I'm a failure in everything. I still get it to this day. My dad never calls me unless he needs money, my mother disowned me when she found out I might be a lesbian and my siblings just say I've failed at everything in my life. My flatmates aren't a help either, I might have a job soon and all they can say about it is 'Don't get your hopes up'. That, and wanting to take something different. Everything I photograph I've seen taken before and it's always better than mine.

The only photo I've ever taken that I've been proud of is this one on my DA. Sure there is a bit of it that is a little out of focus and there is probably too much light glare on the papers, but I like it.

It was for a self portrait competition of which we had to describe us in a simple picture. I won third place. Of course this wasn't good enough for my family hence why it now rots on my DA page with all my other failures.

If I were you, I would drop the class immediately if you're still in it, or at the least, learn what you can for now. Have you seen any of your teachers work though? The people teaching you probably shouldn't even be teaching in the first place. You're really good at producing multiples in one photo. You just need to work on lighting and composition, which I can help you with. That may be your style. I have never seen someone create a full gallery filled with multiples. And since you are really good at it, I believe if you incorporate your multiples into, not only portraits, but landscapes, nature, etc, it will become really successful. Fashion shoots is something I could see that would really go big with your type of work.

Would you mind letting me give you an assignment?

Uriah Galleries
Vice Captain

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:49 pm
Uriah Galleries
Uriah Galleries
Uriah Galleries
Madsam123
Uriah Galleries

If I were you, I would drop the class immediately if you're still in it, or at the least, learn what you can for now. Have you seen any of your teachers work though? The people teaching you probably shouldn't even be teaching in the first place. You're really good at producing multiples in one photo. You just need to work on lighting and composition, which I can help you with. That may be your style. I have never seen someone create a full gallery filled with multiples. And since you are really good at it, I believe if you incorporate your multiples into, not only portraits, but landscapes, nature, etc, it will become really successful. Fashion shoots is something I could see that would really go big with your type of work.

Would you mind letting me give you an assignment?

I have seen their work yeah, not really good in my opinion, they have Facebook pages with like 2 of their images on. My main teacher only does nude s**t and it makes me sick, the other doesn't even speak clear english.

I'm not really good with working with people, that would be my only problem with doing fashion shoots. I prefer to work alone, it's just for that work my teacher wanted me to do something on things I like, which isn't a lot but cosplay was one of them.

Sure, I need something to do, making cakes is a sub hobby and right now it's the only thing I'm doing. I've made more cakes than my friends can eat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:06 pm
MadSam123
scelestic

Practice is good. It helps you see things you may not have seen before and helps you get better. If you teacher needed to see shadows to see that you edited them properly then I would not trust anything they say about editing. It seems like they don't know what they are talking about. You should get yourself into a better class and experiment more with depth of field and lighting. Are you shooting manual at all? Learn all you can about your camera and just keep doing what your doing!  

scelestic

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:59 pm
scelestic
MadSam123
scelestic

Practice is good. It helps you see things you may not have seen before and helps you get better. If you teacher needed to see shadows to see that you edited them properly then I would not trust anything they say about editing. It seems like they don't know what they are talking about. You should get yourself into a better class and experiment more with depth of field and lighting. Are you shooting manual at all? Learn all you can about your camera and just keep doing what your doing!

I'm in university, I can't just change class. It doesn't work like that here. And yeah I always use manual, I've only ever used automatic when I'm not taking whatever I'm doing seriously, such as stupid night out images when I'm dragged out by my sister.  
Post your own photos!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff