Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Soap Making Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like soap?
  Nope.
  Yup.
  Gold!!
View Results

CassieConnors11

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:45 pm
genioos
I guess I could say I'm a bit of a soap expert xd

When I make soap, I actually make it from scratch. I use mostly Tallow, Olive, or coconut oil and mix it with Sodium Hydroxide.

Liquid soap is the same concept, except using Potassium Hydroxide. Liquid soap is a lot harder, but worth it.

If anyone wants some instruction on how to make soap from scratch, I've got about 3 years of experience under my belt 3nodding

I want to know how to make soap oo oo please tell me.  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:19 pm
genioos
I guess I could say I'm a bit of a soap expert xd

When I make soap, I actually make it from scratch. I use mostly Tallow, Olive, or coconut oil and mix it with Sodium Hydroxide.

Liquid soap is the same concept, except using Potassium Hydroxide. Liquid soap is a lot harder, but worth it.

If anyone wants some instruction on how to make soap from scratch, I've got about 3 years of experience under my belt 3nodding

I as well would love to know how! Not that I need another hobby >.>

Have yall heard of those felted soaps? You get a bar of soap, put (processed) wool around it, soak it in hot water & agitate to felt the wool around it, then it's self-scrubbing! So you see, it's not really a new hobby, it's just a continuation of an old one, that's perfectly okay to get into!  

Zahra Ovaci

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:15 pm
I recently bought a kit for soap making. It was $20, but it was worth it, I think.

http://december101.blogspot.com/2006/05/let-there-be-soap.html
http://december101.blogspot.com/2006/05/and-there-was-soap.html

I wrote about my soapmaking adventures in one of my blogs. It's really easy to do with the glycerin soap. I'd like to try making soap from scratch, but that requires having a good space to work in (for the chemical reaction), and I don't have that right now. Maybe whenever I've got my own house or something. xp  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:50 pm
Mmm, I make soap. <3

I use a base, though. My dad's too lazy to teach me how to make lye soap, soooo..may be a while before I make it completely from scratch.

For additives, I like using ginger.. It makes the soap naturally warming. :3
I like deep, almost "earthy" essential oils to use for scenting it..and I like making oatmeal scrub soaps. Gentle, but gets the job done!

Hmm, I even tried heating a resin to use it with soap. Didn't...work so well. Don't ever try it.
Also..don't ever try to use an eggshell as a mold. You'll NEVER get the soap out.

When it doesn't come out of the mold, though, I freeze it, then gently warm the bottom, and pop or pry it out.

Ayeaka

Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces