Welcome to Gaia! ::

Depthless Imagination

Back to Guilds

semi-literate minimum roleplay and forum discussions (anime, literature, videogames, art, etc.) Looking for role players and ideas!! 

Tags: role play, fantasy, sci-fi, anime, vampire 

Reply Chatter Box: For Threads That Don't Fall Into The Other Forums
Character discussion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SykoShadowKnyght

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:25 am
pdragon619
Well one of my favorite characters right now is the "demon god of madness" and is a very good joke character. Its great because while he does have a near limitless amount of power, instead of using that for cliche world domination/destruction plots, he just uses his power to screw with people, like flipping all the character's genders, or making them wear silly outfits for a day. Plus despite being an "evil" character, he randomly switched from the good side to the bad depending on his motives/boredom. I enjoy it because it allows me to inject some good comedy into storylines and interactions he's in, without it being contrived. Also I believe its a good way to play a god character without god modding, as most of his actions are either harmless, or beneficial to the main cast.

Also I have another character who is cursed to randomly switch genders, which allows for some fun shenangins aswell as drama. I originally intended them to just awkwardly reveal themselves to the cast a few days into the rp, but after he/she switched one of the characters mistook him for his other form's brother, so I kinda ran with the idea of him/her keeping up a facade that they were actually a pair of siblings that by coincidence were never at the same place at the same time. It was actually pretty fun coming up with increasingly ridicolous excuses and explanations, having them constantly slip up about things they should or shouldn't know in their current form, and throwing in awkwardly timed gender switches.

Another is a character who is the sealed incarnation of Yammato No Orochi (creatively named Orochi), who's sealed in a child's body. He spent most of the rp as a creepy child trying to find a way to unseal himself, about half an hour actually unsealed, and then was resealed again and had his mind wiped so he actually believes he's a normal child. And unlike other characters who get their powers "sealed" only to have them back again in ten minutes, I have kept playing him as a normal timid child for like half a year now, with no plans to have him regain his memories or anything. I'm a big believer of permanent consequences. I mean obviously he can't just restore himself, and none of the other characters are in a rush to bring him back to his evil side, so it doesn't make sense to come up with some random excuse to have him return to normal.

Another odd character I have, and another favorite, is a normal human kid in a supernatural setted rp. His main equalizer for all the supernatural stuff is a sword that allows him to manipulate energy, but without it he's completely harmless. Also he's very "feminine" in his personality. Not like metrosexual feminine, but he prefers what are normally considered feminine hobbies: cooking, cleaning, sewing, gardening, and refers to himself as the "wife" of his relationships, especially when paired with tomboys. He also happens to be an incarnation of a demon, but until that power unlocks he's just a normal human, and doesn't even know about it (that aspect is a bit more generic of anime characters, but its downplayed for the most part as he never "goes beserk" as it is except for like one time). Plus I love that in an rp were everyone makes themselves super strong vampires, and werewolves, and sons and daughters of "the ultimate demon lord" they're just this average guy who likes to cook and happens to be more fleshed out than all of them, plus its really jarring when that guy suddenly turns demon and kicks everyone's a**.

a few quick ones are a cross dressing pop idol, A female spider demon who runs a school gang, snake demons up the whazoo (Snake demons are my preferred race to make in rps. Its kind of my answer to the over used vampires, werewolves, and nekos), an Oni character with an irish accent that gets drinks all the time (ironically he's actualy one of my most fleshed out characters, which is odd considering the stereotypical premise), and an overly sarcastic and pessimistic zombie samurai.

For the most part I like to play atypical or unique characters. I especially like using races that aren't usually used, as I play alot of supernatural rp's. Also for me its not really about being powerful, so much as interesting. I don't really need them to be super powerful or a jack of all trades, as my philosophy is that, especially in group rps, every character should have something that makes them useful to the group, without being an all purpose tool, because if your character can solve any problem, then the other characters become inconsequential. For that purpose more often than not I'll actually play less competent characters, who happen to be really good at one or two things, instead of ones with super duper awesome powers, and if I do I usually leave it to a single super duper awesome power.

I think your characters sound really cool and personally I agree with the idea. I have a character in one of the other RP guilds that is a Dark Kitsune. He had a Kitsune and a Nogitsune for parents and the imbalance between his good and evil side leaves him addle minded. He's also terrified of heights... And not too fond of water. He won't go near the top of a waterfall if he can avoid it. He is also in love with an elf named Midnight who is the male (mostly) reincarnation of a female shadow eagle. Except Midnight is actually an intersex with the full reproductive organs of both a male and a female... And is currently pregnant in the active RP they are in. This is probably one of my favorite characters to play because he will do something and then realize that he should have done it differently or that it is something he isn't actually capable of. Like once when he went running off to retrieve another character's motorcycle. He ran for the step, remembered that he was still in fox form and tried to stop but couldn't so he bounced down the steps, stumble around, shook himself, started running again, and then remembered he didn't know how to drive, so he stopped running just before he ran nose first into the door.

The demon god of madness actually reminds me of a character my girlfriend made up for one of our RPs, which is currently no longer active. She had a character who guarded the border between heaven and hell, making sure no one entered who wasn't supposed to, but when a demon god wanted to take over the world and invade heaven he was captured and his core power, which kept the rest of his power stable, was drawn out and sealed into a precious stone and drove him mostly mad. The struggle he put up to get the stone back resulted in both of them loosing it. As a result he is rarely lucid and typically the first thing he does when meeting someone new is to gab them and demand that they give back what's his... Or to turn them into a small cuddly animal that he carries around until something else distracts him. One of my favorite scenes with her character is when we did a "Random Event Role Play" which is kind of an add lib but with throwing characters into a situation instead of words.

In this one my Dark Kitsune was set to marry a Weretiger of a friend. The god was presiding and started the whole thing off with "We are gathered here today, in the name on me and what's mine, to marry these two whether anyone wants to or not!"

Back to my characters though. I have Cassyn who is my elf in the Vampire Role Play of this guild. He was recently partially turned vampire through magic and he isn't handling the change very well. Which is promising some amusing times in the future of the role play... I have others but listing them all would probably take a page all on it's own and many of mine are intertwined with the characters of friends and family.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:12 pm
We Are Organisms
pdragon619
SykoShadowKnyght
coldsunset
Kay9214
Why don't you tell me about your favorite characters, if I know what they were perhaps I can make an rp that would allow you guys to use them again! It would be an interesting event to be sure, also if you post let me know what your rps are as well.  

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

SykoShadowKnyght

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:44 pm
I could try to tell you about them but like I said before almost all of them are tied into the history of others. Most are connected to SykoShadowRose's characters. The Dark Kitsune is easily e fav though.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:29 pm
SykoShadowKnyght
I could try to tell you about them but like I said before almost all of them are tied into the history of others. Most are connected to SykoShadowRose's characters. The Dark Kitsune is easily e fav though.
well then just try and talk about that one, I don't mind detail it helps in rp.  

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

SykoShadowKnyght

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:21 pm
Alright then. Well, our core group decided that it made sense for some of the animal spirits, demons, and other such beings to have a mating season since actual animals do- though mystic creatures have more control over it and the older they are the better they can control it. We set up a "base time span" for how long pregnancies last for different races- though we left it open for others to come up with their own ideas- as well as loose time frames for age categories.

Kumori is 288 but because of how we worked the age categories he's about the mid-adolescent stage of his life. He was born when a young Nogitsune ran into a young Kitsune during mating season for fox spirits. They didn't stay together and in fact his father had not even been aware that they had successfully conceived because half-breeds between Holy and Unholy creatures are not common. His mother had a feud with a shadow elf female- he doesn't know/remember what it was about but he does remember his mother's dark triumph when she found out the other female had been assassinated by someone. He found out that her son had been witness to her death and became curious about the other little boy who was only a couple decades younger than him. His mother did everything she could to instill a conditional hatred in him and it worked to a small degree.

The foxes were attacked one day- he didn't know what was going on but he knew something was wrong. His mother had shifted him into a small fox kit and hid him high in a tree before running off to draw the enemy away from her son. It was raining when it happened and continued to rain for days after. Kumori survived by drinking the rain water and eating the occasional bird that landed close enough form him to catch. It was actually Midnight (the shadow elf boy he watched) who found him and got him out of the tree. It's this event in his life that is the reason he is afraid of heights and doesn't like water.

So after that the condition hate his mother trained him to have started to erode and he split his time between finding out who killed his mother and trying to figure out how he felt about Midnight. Eventually he decided he loved Midnight and started to court him. Kumori still doesn't know what happened the day his mother was killed but it bothers him less now that he is with the elf... And due to the fact that Midnight is an intersex they are expecting a child.

Umm... They have an extended family that have all adopted each other. They have a "big sister" and a "big brother" and Midnight was actually adopted by the woman who owns a tavern in the town. Their family teases them about getting married since they have been together for about 10 years now. Midnight works at his mom's tavern and Kumori just helps out where ever he is needed by their family.

Previously his holy-unholy duality in his nature made his mind and his power a little unstable and unpredictable but now that he is with Midnight he has come to use the elf as an anchor and had become more stable, though I left him a bit addle minded just for the fun of it.

That's most of the basics for him.

I also have Ronon, Valko, Irthos, Valerian, Verael, a number of restriced NPCs and several more characters who are not currently in play at the moment. Beyond that I have Cassyn (obviously) and I am working on Alexios for another RP.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 pm
SykoShadowKnyght
Alright then. Well, our core group decided that it made sense for some of the animal spirits, demons, and other such beings to have a mating season since actual animals do- though mystic creatures have more control over it and the older they are the better they can control it. We set up a "base time span" for how long pregnancies last for different races- though we left it open for others to come up with their own ideas- as well as loose time frames for age categories.

Kumori is 288 but because of how we worked the age categories he's about the mid-adolescent stage of his life. He was born when a young Nogitsune ran into a young Kitsune during mating season for fox spirits. They didn't stay together and in fact his father had not even been aware that they had successfully conceived because half-breeds between Holy and Unholy creatures are not common. His mother had a feud with a shadow elf female- he doesn't know/remember what it was about but he does remember his mother's dark triumph when she found out the other female had been assassinated by someone. He found out that her son had been witness to her death and became curious about the other little boy who was only a couple decades younger than him. His mother did everything she could to instill a conditional hatred in him and it worked to a small degree.

The foxes were attacked one day- he didn't know what was going on but he knew something was wrong. His mother had shifted him into a small fox kit and hid him high in a tree before running off to draw the enemy away from her son. It was raining when it happened and continued to rain for days after. Kumori survived by drinking the rain water and eating the occasional bird that landed close enough form him to catch. It was actually Midnight (the shadow elf boy he watched) who found him and got him out of the tree. It's this event in his life that is the reason he is afraid of heights and doesn't like water.

So after that the condition hate his mother trained him to have started to erode and he split his time between finding out who killed his mother and trying to figure out how he felt about Midnight. Eventually he decided he loved Midnight and started to court him. Kumori still doesn't know what happened the day his mother was killed but it bothers him less now that he is with the elf... And due to the fact that Midnight is an intersex they are expecting a child.

Umm... They have an extended family that have all adopted each other. They have a "big sister" and a "big brother" and Midnight was actually adopted by the woman who owns a tavern in the town. Their family teases them about getting married since they have been together for about 10 years now. Midnight works at his mom's tavern and Kumori just helps out where ever he is needed by their family.

Previously his holy-unholy duality in his nature made his mind and his power a little unstable and unpredictable but now that he is with Midnight he has come to use the elf as an anchor and had become more stable, though I left him a bit addle minded just for the fun of it.

That's most of the basics for him.

I also have Ronon, Valko, Irthos, Valerian, Verael, a number of restriced NPCs and several more characters who are not currently in play at the moment. Beyond that I have Cassyn (obviously) and I am working on Alexios for another RP.
thats pretty interesting, if you had wanted I would say he could of been used in the vamp rp since it is a world of all races.  

Anaithnid Miuil
Captain

Swashbuckling Pirate

13,950 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

SykoShadowKnyght

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:24 pm
I had thought about it but I already have two versions of him and he is pretty much designed to be connected to Midnight- who wouldn't have been in the Vampire RP. Although we (our core group) have been toying with the idea of having the different guild we are in/own be their own countries or continents and the different RPs be their own countries in a continent or their own city on a continent- then we could occasionally have a character reference or appear from one of the others. We haven't done it yet be we have thought about it and we think it could be fun.

I had thought about using one of my other characters but then I had the idea for Cassyn and that was that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:02 pm
SykoShadowKnyght
I had thought about it but I already have two versions of him and he is pretty much designed to be connected to Midnight- who wouldn't have been in the Vampire RP. Although we (our core group) have been toying with the idea of having the different guild we are in/own be their own countries or continents and the different RPs be their own countries in a continent or their own city on a continent- then we could occasionally have a character reference or appear from one of the others. We haven't done it yet be we have thought about it and we think it could be fun.

I had thought about using one of my other characters but then I had the idea for Cassyn and that was that.
Ah, I see, well I appreciate you being active at least and am glad you have some original ideas. Unfortunately it seems most of Gaia's rps are all stock from pop culture, anime, manga, TV etc. people do not want original stories it seems.  

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

SykoShadowKnyght

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:23 pm
Darth Ghranna
SykoShadowKnyght

Ah, I see, well I appreciate you being active at least and am glad you have some original ideas. Unfortunately it seems most of Gaia's rps are all stock from pop culture, anime, manga, TV etc. people do not want original stories it seems.

We take inspiration from existing material but I don't think we have ever duplicated something. An example would be Tariel. He was inspired by The Crow- but only in the sense that he was murdered and was dead for a year before crawling out of his grave, and that he is hard as hell to kill. But for him it had been his wife who was manipulated into stabbing him and once she realized what she'd done she used a combination of holy and unholy magic to try to bring him back to life. She thought she failed but it just took a year for the magic to properly fuse and do it's job. Because of it he is neither dead nor alive but he is trapped in a state of dying which is why it is so hard to kill him. The holy keeps him alive but the unholy keeps him from being fully living.

Honestly I love the ability to create nearly anything and RPs are a great way to stretch the imagination. I lost count of how many characters and RPs I have and I try very hard to keep them all active.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:31 am
SykoShadowKnyght
We take inspiration from existing material but I don't think we have ever duplicated something. An example would be Tariel. He was inspired by The Crow- but only in the sense that he was murdered and was dead for a year before crawling out of his grave, and that he is hard as hell to kill. But for him it had been his wife who was manipulated into stabbing him and once she realized what she'd done she used a combination of holy and unholy magic to try to bring him back to life. She thought she failed but it just took a year for the magic to properly fuse and do it's job. Because of it he is neither dead nor alive but he is trapped in a state of dying which is why it is so hard to kill him. The holy keeps him alive but the unholy keeps him from being fully living.

Honestly I love the ability to create nearly anything and RPs are a great way to stretch the imagination. I lost count of how many characters and RPs I have and I try very hard to keep them all active.
yes but from what I have been seeing lately they copy and paste a character completely and then say nope this isn't Alice from Res Evil her name is Sarah but that is the only change or if it is a military rp they just do a the same thing only with a Splinter Cell or COD loadout.  

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

SykoShadowKnyght

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:32 pm
Darth Ghranna
SykoShadowKnyght

yes but from what I have been seeing lately they copy and paste a character completely and then say nope this isn't Alice from Res Evil her name is Sarah but that is the only change or if it is a military rp they just do a the same thing only with a Splinter Cell or COD loadout.

Only thing I could think to suggest would be to make an RP that doesn't have a basis already existing. That way they have to make their own character... But as you said not a lot of people are interested in original RPs... I've got some friends that you could invite but I can't make any promises for them. We tend to play in a Modern Fantasy RP and I haven't really seen any of those here. Not really sure what I could do to help besides try to come up with RP ideas...

On an unrelated note if I was gonna do something for a military RP I would probably look more at Doom, Stargate Atlantis, Expendables, and those kinds of things...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 pm
SykoShadowKnyght
Only thing I could think to suggest would be to make an RP that doesn't have a basis already existing. That way they have to make their own character... But as you said not a lot of people are interested in original RPs... I've got some friends that you could invite but I can't make any promises for them. We tend to play in a Modern Fantasy RP and I haven't really seen any of those here. Not really sure what I could do to help besides try to come up with RP ideas...

On an unrelated note if I was gonna do something for a military RP I would probably look more at Doom, Stargate Atlantis, Expendables, and those kinds of things...
I have a battlemech rp in the works and a warhammer 40k rp. I wanted to do a scifi starwars/startrek etc rp too but not sure if its worth setting up without knowing I had some people to make it worth it.  

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

SykoShadowKnyght

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:19 pm
Darth Ghranna
SykoShadowKnyght

I have a battlemech rp in the works and a warhammer 40k rp. I wanted to do a scifi starwars/startrek etc rp too but not sure if its worth setting up without knowing I had some people to make it worth it.

I think if I joined a scifi space RP I would end up making a Furyan (from Chronicles of Riddick) and possibly cross him with a Betazoid... I might do more if I was interested but it seems unlikely that it will be made. Especially since the ones we do have seem to have come to standstill.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:46 pm
SykoShadowKnyght
Darth Ghranna
SykoShadowKnyght

I think if I joined a scifi space RP I would end up making a Furyan (from Chronicles of Riddick) and possibly cross him with a Betazoid... I might do more if I was interested but it seems unlikely that it will be made. Especially since the ones we do have seem to have come to standstill.
I just like that Riddick could be defeated by bright light if it was consistent XP I liked the first movie the others not so much, even if I did get to see Karl Urban in leather biggrin  

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

SykoShadowKnyght

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:08 pm
Darth Ghranna
SykoShadowKnyght
Darth Ghranna
SykoShadowKnyght

I just like that Riddick could be defeated by bright light if it was consistent XP I liked the first movie the others not so much, even if I did get to see Karl Urban in leather biggrin

I liked Chronicles mostly because it gave you background to what happened to the Furyan people. I don't remember too much about Dark Fury and I never really played the video games. Beyond that I like how there are some differences for the Furyans but they are a sub-race of humans so they still have some human limitations... Their's are just higher than ours.  
Chatter Box: For Threads That Don't Fall Into The Other Forums

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff