Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Evolution: What is your take on it? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pistil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:01 pm
Um... I think I can add something (I admit, I quickly skimmed over most of shino's posts, but only because I have to head to bed soon. I will read them later.)

Tails: Part of 'the rules of being a chordate' (whatever, I'm tired, I'm sure you can figure out what I mean) is to have a tail. Indeed, we did. Only it wasn't millions of years ago. We have one as we develop in the womb. It degenerates once we reach a certain age and all that remains of it is the 'tail bone'.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:22 pm
I believe some parts are possible, but most of them I think were made by an man with temperary Insanity, he converted back to christianity later in his life.  

Taylr752

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:55 am
Pistil
Um... I think I can add something (I admit, I quickly skimmed over most of shino's posts, but only because I have to head to bed soon. I will read them later.)

Tails: Part of 'the rules of being a chordate' (whatever, I'm tired, I'm sure you can figure out what I mean) is to have a tail. Indeed, we did. Only it wasn't millions of years ago. We have one as we develop in the womb. It degenerates once we reach a certain age and all that remains of it is the 'tail bone'.

Source please?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:05 pm
Sanguvixen
Pistil

Source please?

It's true that as embryos we have tails.
Observe: http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/exhibitions/lifecycle/50.asp  

iviary

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:03 pm
iviary
Sanguvixen
Pistil

Source please?

Uh...Iviary...most living things while in the embryonic stage of life look similar. In fact they almost look the same. However they develop differently. Almost all of them have those things than can be considered tails. I don't think that is a solid enough explanation though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:09 pm
iviary
Sanguvixen
Pistil

Source please?

I like this one a little better, since it compares different chordates at the same stages.

http://www.hcc.hawaii.edu/~pine/book1qts/embryo-compare.html  

Pistil

iviary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:01 pm
Sanguvixen
iviary
Sanguvixen
Pistil

Source please?

Uh...Iviary...most living things while in the embryonic stage of life look similar. In fact they almost look the same. However they develop differently. Almost all of them have those things than can be considered tails. I don't think that is a solid enough explanation though.

I'm not saying that proves we once had tails, millions of years ago. I was simply backing up Pistil's statement, "We have [a tail] as we develop in the womb. It degenerates once we reach a certain age and all that remains of it is the 'tail bone'" with a source.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:04 pm
Pistil
iviary
Sanguvixen
Pistil

Source please?

I like this one a little better, since it compares different chordates at the same stages.

http://www.hcc.hawaii.edu/~pine/book1qts/embryo-compare.html

I like this quote on that page: "According to Mayr, 'embryonic similarities, recapitulation, and vestigial structures . . . raise insurmountable difficulties for a creationist explanation, but are fully compatible with an evolutionary explanation based on common descent, variation, and selection.' As Mayr also notes, if evolution is not true, 'why should the embryos of birds and mammals develop gill slits, like fish embryos?'"  

iviary

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:54 pm
Almost all chordates start out looking the same. I find that quite fascinating. Then because of different variables they grow into completely different creatures.

I feel that humans one had ancestors that had tails. All I meant by what I said is that while I agree that it might have something to do with it(why we have a tail-bone) the tail as an embryo(in my opinion) doesn't explain why we have tail-bones.

The fact that we have tails as emybros just like other chordates does point a positive finger towards evolution. That we as humans evolved from something else. That something else probably had tails.

Now....because of what we grow into once outside of the womb, tails are no longer needed. Thus, as we devolop in the mother's womb...the tails disinigrate as Iviary said...probably because we don't need them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:12 pm
Sanguvixen
Almost all chordates start out looking the same. I find that quite fascinating. Then because of different variables they grow into completely different creatures.

I feel that humans one had ancestors that had tails. All I meant by what I said is that while I agree that it might have something to do with it(why we have a tail-bone) the tail as an embryo(in my opinion) doesn't explain why we have tail-bones.

The fact that we have tails as emybros just like other chordates does point a positive finger towards evolution. That we as humans evolved from something else. That something else probably had tails.

Now....because of what we grow into once outside of the womb, tails are no longer needed. Thus, as we devolop in the mother's womb...the tails disinigrate as Iviary said...probably because we don't need them.
I think we're all saying the same thing, but in a different order.

I'm saying we have tailbones because we have tail in the womb which degenerates shortly afterward. But the fact that we have tails in the womb suggests that we have the DNA that reads for a tail, which we got from our ancestors. For some reason, before we are born the tail is removed (as is the case with other apes).

We have a lot of other things in the womb that normally we do not come out with (or are lost shortly after):

Webbed fingers and toes
Gill slits
Umbilical cord and placenta (created by the embryo)

The first two hint that we also had ancestors that were water-bound.

(Please note that, like any other scientist, I wrote in a passive way ie. using 'suggests' and 'hint that')  

Pistil

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:17 pm
You know what this reminds me of? An article that I read in the local newspaper. People have found a way to get chickens to grow teeth.

They did some sort of thing, and unintentionally they caused dormant genes in the genetic make-up of the Chicken to re-activate, thus causing it to start to grow teeth.

A link for you all: ]http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20060220/chicken_ani.html?source=rss

The teeth were described as being very alligator like.

I'll bet if you could figure out what genes are responsible for what...and how to re-activate them, that it could be possible to cause for the tail of a human embryo to develop along with the rest of the body.

What do you all think? Possible?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:25 pm
Most of the time it's something as simple as a repressor gene. ><

So it could very well be possible.  

Pistil

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:27 pm
Pistil

Yeah...but human rights activists would probably get in the way and shut down such a project.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:06 pm
Sanguvixen
Pistil

Yeah...but human rights activists would probably get in the way and shut down such a project.
Yeah, I just thought of that.

Here in Canada, no one's supposed to mess with the human genome.

But I don't think it could stop them from making chimps with tails...  

Pistil

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:12 pm
This site, I feel, does an amazing job being even-handed and handing out only the facts. It's a great reference for the topic in general.

http://www.creationtheory.org/  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces