Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Roleplay
[PRP] Hello, We Don't Usually Work On the Floor, Honest... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Venti Mico

Ruthless Fairy

9,600 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Loiterer 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:38 pm
"I, uh... I didn't know you were a Hoothoot." Lu concluded, looking over at Tambrey to watch for her reaction. He had a small, sheepish smile on his face.

"Paperwork? I'm... glad I don't have to do that," Lu said, trying to sympathize. That did sound like a dull job, uneventful... on second hand, maybe he'd like something like that. At least he probably wouldn't run someone over with paperwork like he had when he was mopping.

When she mentioned someone he might get along with, Lu perked up a bit. "Really? I've only met one person who likes that sort of thing here. I mean- I haven't met a lot of people, s-so I'd be, um, happy to meet him too," he said, hoping whoever she was talking about was nice. And maybe they were higher rank and had a garden... Lu wasn't sure what the larger words Tambrey spoke meant and he looked away, confusion spreading on his face. He was sure he'd heard some of them in his science classes but it'd never been his forte. He was better with things that were hands-on.

"That's... that sounds like smart stuff. I didn't know they did that here... c-can't you do the same sort of stuff- cloning, that is- with plants too? I've heard, or read, that some scientists do... you make new things out of the...old things? Right?" he inquired, his knowledge of genetic cloning limited to a few things he'd heard in his high school science classes.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:47 pm
"Heh. Very good." She chuckled, appreciating the joke, though not in hysterics.

"Ah. It's not ~too~ bad, and it needs to be done, but it's a little less activity than cleaning, and it isn't nearly as fun as lab work, though it's a bit more fun than cleaning up lab equipment, I think..." Tambrey admitted- she missed the old labs; sure she'd only had basic clearance, but she'd gotten to pursue her own research, she'd gotten to clone a Ponyta and play with egg development... It was so much more limited in the new base.
"Oh, he's very nice; I'm sure you'd get along... whenever he comes back." If he came back; she didn't like the idea of voicing that correction though- she missed Inigo.
"Oh yes!" She enthused, suddenly, pleased for the slight topic shift that covered, she supposed, both their interests.
"Actually plant cloning, plant hybridization and the like is really, /really/ easy compared to fauna, although 'plant' pokémon are little more complex than, say, flowering plants, or legumes. A little closer to fauna, but possible enough. Is that the kind of thing you're interested in? Along with the herbs?" It was always nice to meet anyone on the spectrum of interest that she found herself on.  

Gwennythe
Crew

Feral Nerd

Venti Mico

Ruthless Fairy

9,600 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Loiterer 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:33 pm
Lu ducked his head a little, feeling embarrassed but happy he at least tried a joke.

Some of the words Tambrey spoke went in one ear and out the other- Lu tried to listen carefully. Was that something he was interested in? He wasn't sure, but maybe that sort of thing could make plants...better? Stronger? And thus, better for people. Lu was quiet for a moment, thinking hard about his response... it might seem he was ignoring her, but he looked at Tambrey when he spoke again.

"I-I've never really... thought about it, actually... I've always just grown plants and taken care of them, and turned them into medicines. But with... um, cloning and hyb...hyper- hybrid..ing? I think... is it possible to change things so they're better? Not better, but.." Lu stopped again, furrowing his brow and contemplating his words. He glared down at the floor a moment before looking at her again. "When the weather changes, some plants die when it only gets a little cold. Vegetables especially. But other plants don't, some are strong against the cold... would it be possible to, maybe... alter the weak ones to be like the strong ones? Is that something you can do? A-and, can you do that to Pokemon?" Lu might have not thought about the topic before, but it had caught his interest thoroughly.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:36 pm
"Well..." Tambrey began cautiously; his comparison was actually a rather good one, but she had to admit that things differed once you got away from how plants lived and reproduced in different ways. They had very different cells from animals... and pokémon had a varied range beyond both.

Augmenting pokémon was a very complex process- one that she'd never successfully attempted, though she knew that higher ranking Team Rocket members sometimes got to play with such processes.
Mewtwo, for example, seemed to /require/ augmentation just to exist, from what she could tell. Certainly, they'd perfected the cloning of Mew now- as much as currently possible, at least, she was sure, yet Mewtwos were still produced, still shared a sequence- however corrupted- with Mew; thus, she'd theorized, that Mewtwo were Mew clones with an augmentation that changed them.
She hoped, one day, to have clearance to be able to work on, and perhaps, confirm her suspicion.

"In a way. I mean. Most of our work tends to be the exploration of possibility in genetics... Personally, with a colleague, I've worked on cloning a Ponyta, and I worked on producing hybridized pokémon eggs; the hybridization has been... observable in offspring via shared colouration and markings with parents across species... My clearance is, uh, kind of limited- Grunt rank, and all- so I can't speak for experiments beyond my rank, but yes, basically like you say... Just a lot more limited... Most of it is cosmetic."  

Gwennythe
Crew

Feral Nerd

Venti Mico

Ruthless Fairy

9,600 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Loiterer 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:18 pm
Lu listened closely, trying to make sense of everything. He wasn't even sure how any of that could work- he definitely thought it'd be interesting, but how could you take one part of a plant, or Pokemon, and make it work on another?

"That's... interesting," Lu said slowly, trying to figure out himself how it would work. The most he'd done was cross breed flowers to get certain colours. He knew of the Punnet square and what it meant, the dominant and recessive genes... but that was about the gist of what he knew. He wanted to ask her more about it, but he didn't want to seem stupid either. Maybe he could ask Zacharie about it later, Zacharie seemed pretty smart and probably had no expectations of smartness from Lu. Lu made a mental note to ask him next they saw each other.

"Wh-when you get to be higher up, I think you could do more complex things... I mean, you're smart, and you know what you're doing, I think," Lu said quietly, looking down at the table and petting Tea again. "So maybe when you don't have to be a Grunt anymore, they'll let you do the science... things. I hope they let you."  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:52 am
"I certainly think so." Tambrey agreed, brightly- it was /very/ interesting to her. "There's just so much I'd love to... to play with." She sighed a little, but smiled still, especially as he stated his good wishes for her upon promotion.

"Thanks. And, uh, don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for the chances I've already had- my Ponyta," She tapped a pokéball "is the result of a collaboration between a colleague and I. The first successful cloning that I was joint responsible for creating... Though that was on our own time, really..." Still, without Rocket, she'd probably never have gotten to use the necessary technology.
"But I do have hope for the future; though I don't know know the limitations of our current headquarters. A lot of experimentation just isn't possible right now, compared to the old place." That was said a little wistfully.

She turned interested eyes back on Lu.
"So. Plants? Does that extend to plant pokémon? I'd be very interested in hearing about your garden; pokémon or not." She smiled. "And, maybe you can propose a hydroponics project as your ranks raise?" She hoped it was encouraging; she wasn't sure if Rocket would go for such a thing, but every resource was useful right now, she thought.  

Gwennythe
Crew

Feral Nerd

Venti Mico

Ruthless Fairy

9,600 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Loiterer 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:04 pm
"You cloned a Ponyta? Wow..." Lu couldn't wrap his head around the whole process of cloning. When he tried to figure out the details all that came to mind were early morning cartoons he watched as a child, where they simply put something in a machine, there was a flash of light, and bam! Clones. Yeah, definitely had to ask Zacharie about it later.

"This place doesn't seem like you could do a lot of...science," Lu said with a nod, going back to petting Tea. He wondered what sort of base it was like at the old headquarters; probably a lot better than this, and a lot easier to get lost. Lu was thankful this building was relatively simple. "Do you think they'll move back soon? I mean, to somewhere... better?" the tall boy scratched the back of his neck, furrowing his brows in concentration. To move, they'd need a lot of money and cooperation in order to not get caught, he assumed. It'd probably be a big thing- he sort of hoped they stayed in this one, the more he thought about what it'd be like to change headquarters.

"I-I like plant Pokemon! I don't have any, but I'd like to. I don't really... know, how to battle or capture Pokemon though, so I've never tried. My garden, it's mostly vegetables and herbs- or, it was. I don't have one now. I had berries too, huckleberries and blueberries. And I had a walnut tree- my grandpa planted it when he was young, but now I take care of it- or, I did." Lu explained, speaking a little quicker than usual. He could go on and on about his garden if given the chance.

"Hydroponics? I...is that a Pokemon move?" He could honestly say, he'd never heard that word before.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:22 pm
Tambrey sighed a little and shook her head.
"No. You're right, I'm afraid... Compared to our old headquarters, there are a lot of limitations here right now but I have no idea what the future holds... Not privy to that information; can't go back- pretty sure the old place is just a crater." She said, sadly, remembering all the chaos of the journey to get here.
"Maybe we'll get somewhere better."

She smiled again as he talked of his garden, and of liking plant pokémon.
"Well. Pokémon have a way of finding you in this job... Chances are, you'll get to work with, or maybe own, a few plant types... Your garden sounds very nice. But, uh, right, hydroponics."
She shook her head and tried to explain as simply as she could.
"Hydroponics is basically the practice of gardening without soil. You can give plants the right nutrients yet grow them anywhere, inside most commonly, with no need for soil, because nutrient rich water is enough for them."  

Gwennythe
Crew

Feral Nerd

Venti Mico

Ruthless Fairy

9,600 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Loiterer 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:12 pm
"Crater? So it's completely...gone? I... I'm glad I wasn't around back then," Lu would probably be too afraid to function if something that chaotic had happened. Once a light bulb had exploded in the kitchen of his old house and he'd cried for a good ten minutes until his sister calmed him down.

"I hope I can. To be honest, I, uh, I... joined on a whim, and I'm not sure I'll do well here," Lu admitted, "If I can at least work with Pokemon, that'll be better than.. well, nothing." He didn't see himself getting to go outside or contact his family any time soon. Not that he thought he'd be able to say anything to them- he ran out after a fight and hadn't made any attempt to contact them since. They probably didn't want him back.

"That's... possible?" Lu asked, baffled. Growing plants... not in the ground? He hadn't even heard of that before. "Have you ever done that? If I had the rank and could do that, it'd be like having a garden but... not outside. Right? Science seems like... like magic."  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:48 pm
The grunt nodded slightly.
As far as she understood, the base would be completely gone... and even if it wasn't, there'd be too much risk- just from people combing the area for whatever reasons- to approach the site.

"Well. Trainee ranks and grunt ranks are a good time to spend seeing what you have a talent for and what you're best at. Promotions, usually, seem to take that sort of thing into account." She smiled; he seemed sweet... and nervous. It would be interesting to watch to see how much Team Rocket changed him over time, but she hoped it wouldn't be too much, or for the worse- she rather thought his manner might become more asset than detriment to him.

"It is very possible; quite common and simple enough that it's a rather economical way of growing things. I've never been in charge, or responsible, for a hydroponics project, but I've done my share of watering and care for other people's experiments in it; I tend to deal more with pokémon than with plants." She didn't specify where she put 'Grass' types.
She grinned.
"Arthur C. Clarke; 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.'... and, yes, most plants can be grown that way, so it's exactly like having a garden."  

Gwennythe
Crew

Feral Nerd

Venti Mico

Ruthless Fairy

9,600 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Loiterer 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:39 pm
"I'm not really good at anything, I don't think I'll be promoted," Lu said honestly, not trying for pity. He really didn't have that many, useful, skills. He could tend to plants, but he wouldn't know what to do with plants in a lab. He just liked helping people fight off a cold or ease their allergies. He wasn't even all that impressive with cooking. Couldn't battle, couldn't fight... "I guess I'm physically strong but I don't think that will help me much... unless they need a professional heavy things lifter..?" he tacked on a small, breathy laugh at the end.

"It seems... complicated. Not extremely complicated, but complicated enough I would mess it up a lot, I think..." he furrowed his brows. It seemed like it'd be a lot of work, with figuring out how to water the plants right. If they had all their nutrients from water, there'd be work with chemicals. And if it was indoors, what would they do about sunlight..? Didn't plants need that? And could they only grow certain kinds of plants? What about trees? Trees had big roots and would need a big container and what about affection? Lu firmly believed affection and attention helped plants and trees grow up healthy and strong. Could you give plants in a lab that kind of attention? Would you need visitors to come talk to them? What about his own tree back home? Was anyone taking care of it?

Lu's attention dissolved into his own thoughts, his brows furrowing tightly and his gaze dropping. He spaced out for quite a few minutes, then jolted when he remembered he was talking to someone.

"S-sorry- I was, um, I was thinking-" he said, voice raising a few octaves. He coughed and looked away, fumbling with his fingers. "I-I'm sorry, I was- sorry! S-so technology is basically magic! Th-that is very garden- no, er, that's... it's- sorry... I-I'd like to have a garden."  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 am
Tambrey smirked, and then shook her head.
"You'd be surprised. Most people don't think they're good at things, and then something just kind of... y'know... shows up. Besides, physical strength is very useful, especially around here; I'm sure you'll make Grunt just as anyone else would, and then you'll have some time to find out what you might offer for a future promotion, hm? No sense rushing."

She considered his objection about complication, then nodded slowly.
"A bit," She conceded "I don't know about messing up so badly though... I mean, you like to garden anyway, right? So you know how to do that already; besides, just because hydroponics is 'without soil' doesn't mean an indoor garden -has- to be." She knew enough about house plants, and portable plants to remember such, but, of course, as good as encouragement could be, willingness would be the driving factor. Gardening, for Lu, might simply be a very engaging hobby. Still, he had just said he would like a garden.
"Well. Maybe. That's an old quote. As for your garden," She reflected, again, on the indoor possibilities "well, I have been able to pursue some of my interests as a grunt, so... um, I think you could probably find a way to do that, once you have more time."  

Gwennythe
Crew

Feral Nerd

Venti Mico

Ruthless Fairy

9,600 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Loiterer 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:45 am
Lu thought about her words for a while, nibbling his lip in concentration. She did have a point; he knew the basics to gardening- he knew more than that, really. He'd grown up tending to plants, spent more time in the garden than he did with other kids. So maybe, just maybe, he should stop worrying he'd mess up with something as simple as that, Lu thought. The thought was weird, he scrunched up his nose for a moment and shook his head subtly to wave away the idea.

"Er- I think, maybe later if I'm promoted, I'll look into it. The hydroponics, I mean. Maybe I could try something... i-if I do badly then the worse that could happen would be some plants dying, right?" he said quietly, ending his sentence with a positive but hesitant tone.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:36 am
Tambrey nodded, apparently satisfied.
"I hesitate to say that... there wouldn't be a lot of time to look into it before promotion. There's really very limited time allowed, depending on rank, to look into various interests except... it is doable." After all, she'd done it, as a Grunt.

"Exactly. It's not a very costly failure," Except for the plants, she thought to herself "but that's the failure. The successes hold rewards that are worth more than a failure could take away, I'd think."  

Gwennythe
Crew

Feral Nerd

Venti Mico

Ruthless Fairy

9,600 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Loiterer 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:39 pm
Lu didn't think he'd be successful ever. The most he was good at was lifting heavy things and getting stuff down from high places. But, he could try, maybe. The brunet hoped to look into it on his own, in private, to see if he thought he could get confident in something like hydroponics.

"It could be something, uh... good, to try... um, is there- well... is there something like a library here? Or nearby..? I was thinking, if I could find a book to learn more about it, that would be helpful. I think."  
Roleplay

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff