Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
why are you an atheist? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Slate Alchemy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:02 pm
I guess I am because I am a skeptic by nature and no one ever had the right answers to my questions. When people started telling me I was asking too many questions, I asked them why they didn't have the answers. They got mad at me.

I figure that's when I decided they were all full of s**t.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:16 pm
- I posted replies, but never answered the question. I'm an atheist, because I lack belief in a god. wink  

jayon

- Bipolarity -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:01 am
I've chosen atheism because I don't like to believe in fairy tales.

Think about it, you're fed fairy tales since day one: Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Toothfairy, Bogeymen, maybe the Stork? Religion is also something you're fed from day one. Whatever your parents religion is, they'll try to impose it on you at a young age, so that you'll be less susceptible to other religions. They weren't trying to feed you logic, they were trying to turn you into them, for the most part. Instead of telling you "Hey, honey! I buy your Christmas presents, I give you Easter eggs, I give you money when you lose teeth, there's nothing hiding in your closet, and we had sex to make you! Oh, and by the way, there is no tangible proof of God ever having existed!" They try to give you innocence by telling you fairy tales.

Only religion doesn't seem to make people innocent... too many holy wars and religious rivalries for things to be called innocent.
It's just a sorry excuse for people to hate one another.

I noticed an immediate drop in any violent or cruel tendancies I had when I started calling myself agnostic, and an even steeper drop when I started to call myself atheist.

I think atheism is an important key to human progress. If we disregard all religion, we don't have anything illogical or outdated to hold us down. Trying to progress with a religion is like trying to eat flour with chopsticks. It's going to take a damn long time, and there's no point to it.

I'm an atheist because when I look at the theist world around me, I feel disappointed.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:36 pm
In short, I'm atheist because I don't think it possible for a deity to exist  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Grand Moff Locket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:50 am
I'm an anti-theist because there is hard proof of Scientology. Religion is purely conjecture, and requires faith, whereas we have conducted experiments, and gained knowledge of the world around us through science, while religion is still a persistent road-block in true advancement. Like cloning. Our whole nation(If you're in America) based the decision that it was inhumane, and unethical, on the religions we supposedly separated from our state. We're a religious nation, and all it's done is teach us intolerance, and promote a sinful existence. Religion is another term for hypocrisy.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:23 am
I'm an atheist beacuse everything I protest, everything I loathe comes from religon. Just ask me sometime.  

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

EngelerDeamon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:05 am
I became an aethist because I never really was able to believe in the stories of religions. I love to study religion, and I wanted to find one, but the more I studied them and the more I found out about their history, the less I was able to believe them. I figure that there might really be a god/gods, but there is no way that it/they can prove it to me. To me, religion became symbolic of telling others what to think, and that is definitely something I don't want someone doing to me. I can think for myself; therefore, I will.

As it is, I think religion can be a good thing if not taken to the point that there is a fanaticism about it. For those who follow it, it does have some good morals that can be found to guide someone in every day life. But most people never use it as just that. Because of that, I think that religion, for myself, is good for three reasons: discussion, study, and writing.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:27 pm
I have been an atheist on and off since I was in fourth grade. I went to church, but I always questioned it. I then decided that religion was crap in fourth grade. So I became an atheist. Then my friends kept pestering me to go to church with them in fifth grade. So I did. Then I started to think I believed in God. I was more or less tricking myself to think I believed in him because all of my friends did and I wanted to be like them. Then in sixth grade I decided, the hell with it all. I told everone I did not believe in God and now I am an atheist. There is no god. There is absolutley no proof that a god exists.  

Jaded_BasketCase

Dapper Dabbler

2,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Jaded_BasketCase

Dapper Dabbler

2,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:29 pm
Slate Alchemy
I guess I am because I am a skeptic by nature and no one ever had the right answers to my questions. When people started telling me I was asking too many questions, I asked them why they didn't have the answers. They got mad at me.

I figure that's when I decided they were all full of s**t.
That's what one of my friends does to me every time I dare to question her religion. She is extremely religious. Ever since I was in 4th grade I have been skeptical about most everything.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:35 pm
I am one because I don't think there is enough proof. I am one of those people who refuse to believe something unless I have cold hard facts.  

XScarletXRoseX

Caffienated

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:10 pm
I only believe what can be 100% proven.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:45 am
I have never beleived in god, even though my parents are religious. I never believed in santa or the tooth fairy. There is an argument, however, that the actual beleif in god and the things it may have helped people through creates a god. You may say that I beleive in god, I only spell it "thought".

the idea of god simply feels wrong to me. I value honesty and truth. I will not lie to myself and tell myself there is a god. It seems just as logical as walking into a burning fire and sitting down to meditate. It always made me sad to see all the people around me lying to themselves and falling straight into a hole of nothing. I beleive the only way to acheive what I want is top accept life as it is, without any false deities to get in my way.

Also, All of the holy books about god talk about remarcable miricles do to god. I find that all (sorry, beleivers) bullshit. Maybe the Jews ran away from egypt, but if there is a god he sat on hiss a** watching, and not do al the glorious things it says he did. From my simple logic and, as many say, "gift of seeing the truth" I am atheist.

Many people say that children are wise, open minded, and see the truth. When I was a child, I saw god as a lie. I will continue to see it as a lie for the rest of my life.
So, to sum it all up, the reason I'm atheist is because its true.  

Rev Shrubbery

Aurayvn

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:09 pm
I've never fully believed in God, mostly because I didn't grow up in a religious household. Now that I'm studying things like physics and the universe, I can't see where a spiritual deity fits in with everything.  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:36 pm
Lesidia
It seems just as logical as walking into a burning fire and sitting down to meditate.

That's an interesting way to describe it. ^.^  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Din_of_Serenity

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:13 pm
Because intangibility(sp?) just doesn't cut it, Fairy tales don't help either.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff