High-functioning Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 am
narxfang
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora

You do have enormous reserves. We-- in Estonia anyway, just try to preserve things more, though anything outside of the directly forbidden areas has been going down the drain.

Three months sums it up. They were longer and colder when I was younger. Like, -30 Celsius, which should be -22 Fahrenheit, and snow storms was a regular thing between December and January. Lately, it's been more along the lines of-- it snows a little, it melts, it snows a little, it melts. We were in the plus area in December, winter didn't really arrive until this month and it feels like it's already going so, I swear, if someone is going to tell me that climate change isn't a thing, I am not responsible for my words.

Yeah winters have also been shifted back like two weeks due to climate change, or so I have been told by one of my professors. I wonder why that happened. I feel like Estonia sounds like a very cold place haha. How high does the snow get?

I wonder, indeed. Estonia isn't that cold. Though, I suppose if a person is used to a warmer climate, it is understandable. Personally, I am fine with it. We have it all; the hot summers, the cold winters and everything in between.
Snow-- depends on the year again. This year, the most was barely three inches. In the past, I think the most I've seen myself was around thirty. I mean, there are places that get a lot more.

Haha you are adept at talking to Americans I see. You use Inches just for us razz How endearing! haha. I am more on the scientist side majoring in Biology so I use metric as well. Not that most Americans have a clue haha.

I've trained so long and hard for this. Though, I can't wait for everyone to adapt the metrics system. It'd be so much easier.
The sad thing is we (the USA) will never fully switch over. I asked a man named Ken Cook who was head of logistics for Heinz (the ketchup company) why they don't switch to the metric system. He told me that they actually tried to, but converting the insane volume of raw data proved to be too ridiculous. He said something about some whole office actually getting so far behind in business due to it they had to close it down. That is when they gave up and stayed with the old system.

So maybe eventually most of our businesses will switch over, but it will be incredibly slow. Like hundreds of years possibly. Just too expensive and it would require a lot of computing power probably.

I still think we will eventually switch over, just slowly.

I understand the need to convert data. However, if it is done piece by piece it should be something that can be handled. Like, think of it as a country changing its currency. Lot less variables there but there is still a period of constant conversion and what not. Like, when Estonia took to using euros, the people were handed specific calculators for re-calculating the changed prices and wages and what not and a small credit card sized card with a simple table on it to explain what is what. Granted, we're a small country (a million with sprinkles of people and all) and again the amount of data does not match in the same way but city by city it could technically be done.

There is hope for you yet!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:54 am
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora

I wonder, indeed. Estonia isn't that cold. Though, I suppose if a person is used to a warmer climate, it is understandable. Personally, I am fine with it. We have it all; the hot summers, the cold winters and everything in between.
Snow-- depends on the year again. This year, the most was barely three inches. In the past, I think the most I've seen myself was around thirty. I mean, there are places that get a lot more.

Haha you are adept at talking to Americans I see. You use Inches just for us razz How endearing! haha. I am more on the scientist side majoring in Biology so I use metric as well. Not that most Americans have a clue haha.

I've trained so long and hard for this. Though, I can't wait for everyone to adapt the metrics system. It'd be so much easier.
The sad thing is we (the USA) will never fully switch over. I asked a man named Ken Cook who was head of logistics for Heinz (the ketchup company) why they don't switch to the metric system. He told me that they actually tried to, but converting the insane volume of raw data proved to be too ridiculous. He said something about some whole office actually getting so far behind in business due to it they had to close it down. That is when they gave up and stayed with the old system.

So maybe eventually most of our businesses will switch over, but it will be incredibly slow. Like hundreds of years possibly. Just too expensive and it would require a lot of computing power probably.

I understand the need to convert data. However, if it is done piece by piece it should be something that can be handled. Like, think of it as a country changing its currency. Lot less variables there but there is still a period of constant conversion and what not. Like, when Estonia took to using euros, the people were handed specific calculators for re-calculating the changed prices and wages and what not and a small credit card sized card with a simple table on it to explain what is what. Granted, we're a small country (a million with sprinkles of people and all) and again the amount of data does not match in the same way but city by city it could technically be done.

Very good points!

Oh questions about Estonia. (1) what are the most common languages? (2) What places are best to visit if someone was to be there for a week or so? (3) what are the common religions? (4) Any unique foods that other people find odd?  

narxfang
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

6,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Primae Pandora

High-functioning Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:12 am
narxfang
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora

Very good points!

Oh questions about Estonia. (1) what are the most common languages? (2) What places are best to visit if someone was to be there for a week or so? (3) what are the common religions? (4) Any unique foods that other people find odd?

Ooooh, answer time.

1. Estonian and Russian. Most of us in the younger generation do study English as well from an early age but it isn't a regular language for communication. The younger generation practices Estonglish which is like a twisted cross-breed of Estonian and English and involves pronouncing many of random English words in an Estonian manner and dropping English phrases in the middle of conversations. The latter I am guilty of myself because it seems convenient to convey a point here and there.

2. For visiting, it depends on the kind of person who is visiting. If they want to see the nightlife and roam around, Tallinn during the colder seasons and Pärnu during the summer. Pärnu is our summer capitol, officially called that. If you're in it for the culture, the old towns in the three bigger cities (Tallinn, Tartu and Pärnu) are gorgeous; in Tartu there's a new museum dedicated to Estonian culture - haven't been there myself but it's a huge building and supposedly glorious. Last time I saw the museum it was overlooked and tiny in a worn out house so that is a perk. Let's see... there's another city called Viljandi -- it has lovely castle ruins to explore and I think it was sort of near Sangaste manor which is one of the most well kept manors we have that is also lovely to explore. They have a beautiful dendropark-- is that even a word in English? I don't know. A park with a lot of different trees or whatever. I am too lazy to google. Anywho. There is also Kuressaare, on our biggest island Saaremaa; which is gorgeous. Also a cool castle there; loved exploring that one. Mostly a museum these days.

3. Common religions-- I am pretty sure that most of Estonians are either not fond of any religions or have adapted to the Russian orthodox. We also have a decent amount of lutheran folk BUT-- we take pride in being one of the least religious countries in the world. There's a bunch of lovely back stories to paganism of the old Estonians, way beyond my time, but it's also mostly a forgotten part of the culture by now.

4. Food wise, we are allegedly fond of kama and kama drinks. Basically flour mixture. I hate it, I honestly do. I have never tasted anything so bland and pointless as that, and I do not understand why it is even a thing. We are fond of blood foods. Blood sausages, blood pudding, blood this and that, mostly a Christmas meal which tastes bloody amazing, by the way. In general, though-- we consider our national food potatoes, sauerkraut and blood sausages, with a side of kama. Not that odd, to be honest. Also really fond of smacking sprat on some black rye bread (which is apparently a thing not many countries have? I again don't know, haven't traveled that much but black bread is lovely) and nomming away.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:58 pm
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora

Very good points!

Ooooh, answer time.

1. Estonian and Russian. Most of us in the younger generation do study English as well from an early age but it isn't a regular language for communication. The younger generation practices Estonglish which is like a twisted cross-breed of Estonian and English and involves pronouncing many of random English words in an Estonian manner and dropping English phrases in the middle of conversations. The latter I am guilty of myself because it seems convenient to convey a point here and there.

2. For visiting, it depends on the kind of person who is visiting. If they want to see the nightlife and roam around, Tallinn during the colder seasons and Pärnu during the summer. Pärnu is our summer capitol, officially called that. If you're in it for the culture, the old towns in the three bigger cities (Tallinn, Tartu and Pärnu) are gorgeous; in Tartu there's a new museum dedicated to Estonian culture - haven't been there myself but it's a huge building and supposedly glorious. Last time I saw the museum it was overlooked and tiny in a worn out house so that is a perk. Let's see... there's another city called Viljandi -- it has lovely castle ruins to explore and I think it was sort of near Sangaste manor which is one of the most well kept manors we have that is also lovely to explore. They have a beautiful dendropark-- is that even a word in English? I don't know. A park with a lot of different trees or whatever. I am too lazy to google. Anywho. There is also Kuressaare, on our biggest island Saaremaa; which is gorgeous. Also a cool castle there; loved exploring that one. Mostly a museum these days.

3. Common religions-- I am pretty sure that most of Estonians are either not fond of any religions or have adapted to the Russian orthodox. We also have a decent amount of lutheran folk BUT-- we take pride in being one of the least religious countries in the world. There's a bunch of lovely back stories to paganism of the old Estonians, way beyond my time, but it's also mostly a forgotten part of the culture by now.

4. Food wise, we are allegedly fond of kama and kama drinks. Basically flour mixture. I hate it, I honestly do. I have never tasted anything so bland and pointless as that, and I do not understand why it is even a thing. We are fond of blood foods. Blood sausages, blood pudding, blood this and that, mostly a Christmas meal which tastes bloody amazing, by the way. In general, though-- we consider our national food potatoes, sauerkraut and blood sausages, with a side of kama. Not that odd, to be honest. Also really fond of smacking sprat on some black rye bread (which is apparently a thing not many countries have? I again don't know, haven't traveled that much but black bread is lovely) and nomming away.

...I want to visit Estonia now!!  

narxfang
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

6,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Primae Pandora

High-functioning Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:20 pm
narxfang
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora

Very good points!

Ooooh, answer time.

...I want to visit Estonia now!!

Haha, it is a place one should see at some point in their lives, I think. Sweet little country.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:49 pm
Primae Pandora
X

May I offer you the position of being one of the first two Moderators of The Note? You have impressed me in both your writing abilities and friendliness. I think someone of your caliber would do wonders for the guild! I am also offering this to one other (Commando Omnipants). There are not any particular duties that I require. I may have small assignments from time to time, but your main job is to (1) welcome others into the guild (2) make sure things are going smoothly, and (3) that if ever a fight breaks out, that you handle it carefully and in a kindly manner. The kinds of assignments I might give out would be things like create an event (of your choice and artistic design) and run it. That would be the biggest kind of assignment I would give out, otherwise I might just ask you to double check something I made or somesuch.  

narxfang
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

6,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Primae Pandora

High-functioning Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:14 am
narxfang
Primae Pandora
X

May I offer you the position of being one of the first two Moderators of The Note? You have impressed me in both your writing abilities and friendliness. I think someone of your caliber would do wonders for the guild! I am also offering this to one other (Commando Omnipants). There are not any particular duties that I require. I may have small assignments from time to time, but your main job is to (1) welcome others into the guild (2) make sure things are going smoothly, and (3) that if ever a fight breaks out, that you handle it carefully and in a kindly manner. The kinds of assignments I might give out would be things like create an event (of your choice and artistic design) and run it. That would be the biggest kind of assignment I would give out, otherwise I might just ask you to double check something I made or somesuch.

I'm flattered and humbly accept. I may be on and off here and there but I do check in pretty much every day to see if anything relevant's happened, so there is that at the very least. It's a lovely guild, too. Absolutely lovely, so I'd be happy to lend a shoulder here and there.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:46 pm
Primae Pandora
narxfang
Primae Pandora
X

I'm flattered and humbly accept. I may be on and off here and there but I do check in pretty much every day to see if anything relevant's happened, so there is that at the very least. It's a lovely guild, too. Absolutely lovely, so I'd be happy to lend a shoulder here and there.
Wonderful! I am very happy to have you on board!  

narxfang
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

6,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

A City Of Fools

Hygienic Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:04 am
Primae Pandora
X

I have some questions!
What is like, a signature dessert from estonia?
Despite its former ties with Russia and being so close, it is also very near finland and poland and such. Did Estonia pick up any cultural ques from them?
Is there a lot of tension in Estonia with Russia being right next door and how they have been treating their neighbors lately? Especially with Estonia joining the european union.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:37 pm
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora
X

I have some questions!
Despite its former ties with Russia and being so close, it is also very near finland and poland and such. Did Estonia pick up any cultural ques from them?
Is there a lot of tension in Estonia with Russia being right next door and how they have been treating their neighbors lately? Especially with Estonia joining the european union.

Kama is the most signature thing there is. It can also be made into a dessert with some whipped cream. So it'd be kama foam. We're weird. Also, bread soup. It's a sweet dessert made for kids of black bread and sugar and milk, mainly. If you're a lucky kid, you can get some fruit chunks in the mix.
Far as culture goes, we're honestly still influenced by every country that has ever conquered us. We have the Russian drinking culture. Saying no to a shot of vodka still equals to offending the people offering it to you. We have borrowed words, we have adjusted to a lot of odd things.
Tension is always there. Less because of EU and more because of UN forces being near and such. I can not begin to count how many times some Russian war plane comes too near, trying so clearly to stay out of radars. It is impressive. Politically, it's a steady dance. We smile, they smile, everybody is fine but in reality we know that they could just come on over and they know we'd fight to the bone in those--- 24 hours it'd take to take Estonia.  

Primae Pandora

High-functioning Lunatic

A City Of Fools

Hygienic Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:47 pm
Primae Pandora
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora
X

I have some questions!

Kama is the most signature thing there is. It can also be made into a dessert with some whipped cream. So it'd be kama foam. We're weird. Also, bread soup. It's a sweet dessert made for kids of black bread and sugar and milk, mainly. If you're a lucky kid, you can get some fruit chunks in the mix.
Far as culture goes, we're honestly still influenced by every country that has ever conquered us. We have the Russian drinking culture. Saying no to a shot of vodka still equals to offending the people offering it to you. We have borrowed words, we have adjusted to a lot of odd things.
Tension is always there. Less because of EU and more because of UN forces being near and such. I can not begin to count how many times some Russian war plane comes too near, trying so clearly to stay out of radars. It is impressive. Politically, it's a steady dance. We smile, they smile, everybody is fine but in reality we know that they could just come on over and they know we'd fight to the bone in those--- 24 hours it'd take to take Estonia.

Kama foam, I like that hahaha.
Bread soup sounds kind of like bread pudding but not hot and sticky.
Honestly, I live in America and I get offended when people don't take shots I get them.
That is very sad, but also very interesting. Estonia is a place I have thought little about until this topic, but it seems increasingly interesting. Another place I will never have the time or money to go to, hahaha.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:21 am
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora
X

I have some questions!

Honestly, I live in America and I get offended when people don't take shots I get them.
That is very sad, but also very interesting. Estonia is a place I have thought little about until this topic, but it seems increasingly interesting. Another place I will never have the time or money to go to, hahaha.

Yeah, pretty much that, probably.
Ah well, it's a common problem then.
Haha, it's alright, I feel the same way about America. It's intriguing, in the oddest ways lately, but things are what things are.  

Primae Pandora

High-functioning Lunatic

A City Of Fools

Hygienic Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 am
Primae Pandora
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora
X

I have some questions!

Haha, it's alright, I feel the same way about America. It's intriguing, in the oddest ways lately, but things are what things are.

America is interesting in its diversity, but there is no old. It is all new basically. You cant come to america and find ancient ruins. There aren't really castles or anything of the sort. We find native american arrow heads sometimes but even thats rare. So for someone like me it is boring, historically speaking.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:17 am
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora
X

I have some questions!

America is interesting in its diversity, but there is no old. It is all new basically. You cant come to america and find ancient ruins. There aren't really castles or anything of the sort. We find native american arrow heads sometimes but even thats rare. So for someone like me it is boring, historically speaking.

Mmm, in that sense, yeah. I understand that. But, I mean, it could be worse. You have your own traditions there. Holidays and such, and what not. I mean Thanksgiving for one.  

Primae Pandora

High-functioning Lunatic

A City Of Fools

Hygienic Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:21 am
Primae Pandora
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora
A City Of Fools
Primae Pandora

Mmm, in that sense, yeah. I understand that. But, I mean, it could be worse. You have your own traditions there. Holidays and such, and what not. I mean Thanksgiving for one.

Thats true, I suppose. Diversity also seems to have killed off the possibility of having an american identity. You can have a cultural one from your ancestors and relatives and such, but the US really doesn't have a cultural identity of its own. Like, if you asked what americas signature food is, I don't have a culturally significant specific dish to say like kama. I mean... Burgers? So there is a lot to do and it is interesting in any ways, but culturally it is lacking in its own identity. But it makes up for it by being able to experience just about any culture if you know where to look.  
49.)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff