Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
*Needs help* Anyone care to give me acive...? hehe... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:05 pm
Yami_Ichi
My dad and mom talk about how they wish that people who were atheist would 'see the light'. I listen to how they want to convert people, and it is sad. They have no clue how atheists think, yet they think they know everything there is to know about them.

I really have no reason to tell my parents now. I just feel as if I am living a lie. I cannot be my true self around them; I have to pretend to be the Christian angel that they raised me to be. I don't want to keep things from them, but I am scared to tell them.

I am close to my parents; they are always there for me. And we may not see eye-to-eye, but I don't feel like I should keep this from them. But when I think about me telling them, and the reaction I could get, I get totally scared.

Who is the one really living a lie? You are them? Stop and think about that.

The urge to want to tell them is understandable. Stop and think though. Would you be able to handle it if they decided to go into "Convert my naughty child" mode?

Do you really need to tell them? Now? It isn't all that bad to keep things from one's parents when it is necessary to be happy. It isn't like your keeping some terrible secret of a crime, or a murder.

You just have different beliefs than them. There is nothing wrong with that, and there is no reason to feel guilty.

You are not living a lie, they are.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:45 pm
If you have been really close as you said and they've been there for you, then they might handle it better than you think. It might take some time and some work on your part to deal with them, but if you really feel the need to level with them then you should consider it. But like Sangu said, you should still weigh your options.

What about telling someone else first? Is there any one your parents trust or know as well that you could talk to, and then maybe have them be with you when you tell your parents?

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers