Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shattered Past: Rise of the Lost

Back to Guilds

A Story of Personal Conquest and Rediscovery 

Tags: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Magic, Stats, Literate 

Reply [金] The Iron Nationals [金] ► Tsukihara Region
鉄 Ikeinasu :: Hallowed Path [T/O] [Entrance] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:52 am
User Image________________________________________Jean Coppelio Gogh
XXXX Male • Medium • 5'8" • 131 lbs

Continuing to diligently avoid looking at anywhere but Shea, and especially anything above his waist, much less his antlers, Jean tried his best to sit still and keep himself together as he thought of what needed to be done next. He'd somehow stopped himself from shivering from fear, with the cold now being bearable thanks to the fire, but the goosebumps refused to go away and his hair stood on end. Still, he forced himself to think of Shea as well as himself.

He was trying, but that didn't stop Jean from starting when he caught sight of Shea's hand, yes just his hand, as it held out the whispering pineapple in Jean's direction. Logically, Jean knew Shea didn't want to hurt him. Consciously, he had heard the question. Aware of his own faults, he had just narrowly stopped his eyes from looking any further up, where they might catch a glimpse of Shea's antlers. However, none of that mattered because in the end his brain was so filled with fear that Jean, once again, froze in abject terror.

Well, while Jean tried, the pineapple took matters into its own hands... or... er... paws? With a juicy pop, the tropical fruit split open like a clamshell in Shea's direction, and from within out came an adorable kitten. To answer Shea's question, it squeaked out a song, with background music provided by the rest... of the... pineapple? The whole thing was just bizaare, really.

Then the kitty was done and gone. The question having clearly been answered now, it ducked back into its pineapple home, the pineapple closing shut and sealing without a trace of an opening like it didn't just have a dancing kitty performing from within it.

On Jean's end, he looked... rather unfazed, actually. Sure, it was such a surprise that the emotion by the same name had overtaken fear on his face, but it showed as little more than wide eyes and raised eyebrows. However, it was clear that he was taken aback by the sudden appearance as he spoke more clearly than before as he gave his own answer to Shea's question, "It's a pineapple... that is indestructible and supposedly whispers random words and phrases. At least, that was what what you hold now told me when I touched it. It appears, though, that it is also currently being inhabited by a strange feline." The little performance had shocked the fear right out of his tone.

Though, even as he talked, his eyes continued to remain trained so that it did not look at any other part of Shea than his hand and what rested upon it. Then, after talking, he turned his eyes down and generally avoided having to look at Shea. The underlying wave of panic and anxiety had never really left. It had just been covered, and only briefly at that.

Royal Taorito

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:07 am
User Image
                                      tab Shea Fal'nevan
                                      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx What is this [ someday? ] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                      tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab And frozen in the footsteps untaken, we stand side by side. What is it really, but a tomorrow or today?
                                      tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab And frozen in the footsteps untaken, we stand side by side.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

[x] A kitten popping out of it was probably the last thing I expected from the fruit the Jean had. I slowly withdrew my arms, and my fruit with it as the small fluffy creature sung a song about 'apple-pens'. But I couldn't tear my eyes away until it had retreated into its fruity home once more, where it sealed shut without a trace. What? I blinked, no longer entranced. Why was there a cat living inside of the fruit? And... how was it breathing? Was it okay in there? Did my fruit have a kitten in it too? I looked cautiously at the object in my hands, turning it around thoroughly, but nothing seemed to happen to it for the moment. Life had brought me many strange sights, but that was probably still one of the most unusual. Now I was afraid to cut into it for fear of harming whatever might be inside.

Seemingly in response to my shock, recovering from his own, Jean gave a clearer answer to what just happened. The fruit was a 'pineapple'. Apparently it was indestructible--did that mean they weren't for eating?--and whispered random things sometimes. Curious, I held it up to the side of my head, listening for the whispers mentioned. But it was silent. Thinking about it, I knew all of that, aside from what exactly it was. Jean mentioned the pineapple told him what it was when he touched it, and I guess it had done the same for me, it just hadn't registered. Also, according to him, the presence of the kitten was strange. So maybe they didn't all have one inhabiting them.

I placed my pineapple fruit beside my bag, and scrounged around inside again. Aside from a tuber called a 'potato' that had the ability to levitate, it didn't look like I had anything in the way of food. And unfortunately I didn't know when the last time I ate was, so by instinct my stomach told me I was hungry, regardless of whether or not I actually was. Especially if I was back to being a younger age, then I was growing and would probably be hungry constantly anyway. I grimaced slightly, but turned back to the fire, disappointed. "Once we get our bearings, we should probably find other people and find out what is going on." I rubbed my arms, considering the best questions to ask. I doubted Jean was much interested in explaining things to something he was afraid of. "You... mentioned us being in the 'Iron Country'. I don't know a lot about geography, but I don't think I have ever heard of that. If you are familiar with it, then I would be grateful if you could help me find other people." Eloquence wasn't my strong point, but I hoped my word choice helped. I didn't want to force Jean into an uncomfortable situation, but if I tried wandering in even a pointed direction, I would get lost. There was no questions about that, with my lack of a sense of direction. I could get sent on a straight path somewhere and still find myself heading the opposite direction, unless I was familiar with where I was going.

All of that was a mouthful though, so it was easier just to ask for help. It meant he had to bear with my features for a while longer, but then we could part ways and never speak or see each other again, if that was what he wanted. Maybe in the meanwhile I could find a way to make a makeshift cloak with a wide hood to cover them. That would make it warmer anyway, although it did nothing to cover my bear legs and toes. I couldn't recall any of the sheets I'd found being in any sort of usable condition, though. Just how long had this place been abandoned.

tab .CHAKRA : 100 / 100 .STAMINA : 100 / 100 .STATUS : None
                                      tab .EXP : 150 .RYO : 両000 .HEALTH : Fine .INJURIES : None .THOUGHTS : "I'm getting hungry."
                                      ▀▀▀Suddenly I'm running slowly. Suddenly it all goes dark.

Headless Koko

Royal Taorito
Vice Captain

Wrathful Cat

12,925 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:53 am
                                                                  Jean stared at a random spot on the ground with widened eyes, pleasantly surprised, even grateful, for the coincidence that he and Shea had the same idea about helping each other only until they met others. Although, he was still hard pressed to reveal anything remotely pleasant in his expressions at the moment, which was why he answered bluntly, still pretty rudely, "If I had even an inkling on how to find other people, I wouldn't be here with you," after the short pause to take in the surprise. His prickly reply was quickly followed by a sigh as he brought a hand up to rub his closed eyes.

he shuddered as he tried to reason with himself for the umpteenth time, It wasn't going too well, the reasoning with himself thing. The edge and stiffness in his voice was not so easy to shoo away.

In fact, it only seemed to get edgier and stiffer when Jean spoke again, "I only think we're in Iron Country, just as I can only hypothesize that I might have been sleeping in that crystal for years... if not longer. I... I don't actually know much about the world outside..." to give Shea a more thorough answer. The word choice was more civil, better thought out, but the tone cut like a hot knife through shea butter. It was completely at odds with what he wanted to do, but trying to force himself had just backfired, adding in that bitter stress when Jean had never been any good at hiding his feelings.

There was a moment of silence for Jean to mourn his dead attempt at seeming more amiable. Then he tried again, speaking softly, "I don't know a lot, like I've never heard of your... what was it? 'Yuunin'? But I'll help you. Not like I have any chance alone, myself..." There, that one felt better. Sure, Jean sounded as melancholy and unwilling as a child forced to do the dishes after having their candy taken away from them, but at least he didn't sound like he was angry at who knows what.

Thinking, Jean glanced into the fire and then up at the dreary clouds that held the sky hostage. It was nearly impossible to tell what time of day it was from where he sat, just that it was still light out and maybe a little brighter than earlier. The teen, while still lost and confused, had a rough idea on what he would need to do next. Although, it could be considered more of an opinion on what was most important. Speaking his thoughts aloud, he... suggested (? his yet unfriendly tone made it hard to tell), "We should start moving again. Go through the rest of the houses and hope we can find something that can keep us warm. Not to mention, you'll... What is it that you eat?". The pale face, still looking into the sky, changed the way it was scrunched up to reveal confusion over aversion. Did Shea eat... like a deer or like a human? Possibly even none of the above like Jean?

Royal Taorito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:13 am
User Image
                                      tab Shea Fal'nevan
                                      tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab And frozen in the footsteps untaken, we stand side by side. What is it really, but a tomorrow or today?
                                      tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab And frozen in the footsteps untaken, we stand side by side.

[x] I actually cringed at Jean's response, despite my attempt to stay as amicable as possible. It seemed something I had said overstepped an invisible boundary, or maybe his fear just got the better of him. I'd met plenty of do'vra who scorned my appearance, but never one that was afraid of it. Regardless, it started up vague but dark, faceless memories I had of similar situations, though the reasoning was quite a bit different. My gaze dropped away to my hands fidgeting nervously in my lap. Maybe it would be better for the two of us if I just went my own way. If I wandered in one direction long enough, I was bound to find someone, right?

I wasn't entirely sure if the sigh was him catching himself or just frustration; I couldn't willingly look back at him. When he spoke again, it held just as much ice as before, although he was trying his best to come up with an appropriate answer to my request. Or at the very least he was attempting to be civil again, even if it felt like he was shoving his words through his teeth.

However, my gaze was forced back to him, more curious than anything, at his lack of knowledge of yuunin. How had he never heard of it? But he was offering to help all of a sudden. He had little chance of surviving on his own, he mentioned. I knew enough to get by but as long as my memories were blurry, I had to go mostly by instinct. Given there was already one fruit I didn't know, what did that mean for the plants or tubers in the area? I didn't have much in the way of figuring out if anything was edible, unless Jean had that knowledge. At least clean water wouldn't be an issue with all the snow.

Similar to my words before he snapped, Jean declared that we should start moving again, check out the rest of the houses and try to find something for warmth. Then the question of what I ate. I supposed it was a fair enough question. After all, I had a similar fear regarding a particular animal, so maybe the news that I wasn't interested in eating him would provide a little comfort. "I usually avoid anything that came from animals, though I like milk. Meat just feels... sort of cannibalistic, and doesn't sit well with my stomach. Other beastlings have different opinions, but that's my personal view." I gave a nervous laugh and a sheepish grin--although it was half-hearted--realizing those may not have been the best choice in words. "Um... Normally just fruits, vegetables, nuts... anything like that. Oh, and bread is okay." I clamped my mouth shut to keep it brief. I only needed the basics, so there was no sense in rambling. Besides which, I'd probably eat just about anything that fell into one of those categories.

"A-anyway," I continued, changing the subject. Turning away, I half scooted, half crawled to a nearby pile of debris to what looked like the remains of a cloth draped over a dining table and some chairs. I grabbed a chair leg from one of the collapsed ones and tore a thick band of cloth from the sheet. Tying it quickly around the piece of wood, I held it back toward Jean, at a distance now. "We don't have any pitch, unfortunately, so they won't last as long, but we can make torches to bring with us for warmth. Also your... burner, you called it?" I set it down beside the rest of my supplies and threw my blanket over my head in an effort to hide my antlers. Tying two of the corners together, I made a makeshift cloak out of it. "I'll check the other houses." Without waiting for a response, I shoved open the door, and quickly shut it again behind me, heading back out into the snow.

To be honest, if I had taken any of my supplies with me, that probably would have been the last Jean saw of me, but my feet had moved faster than my brain. If my presence was just going to be a burden on his mind, then I shouldn't stay. But if he was willing to help me at least until we found other people, then I could leave him with them and part ways. At least then he would be safe.

tab .EXP : 150 .RYO : 両000 .HEALTH : Fine .INJURIES : None .THOUGHTS : "Maybe it would be better if I just left."

Headless Koko

Royal Taorito
Vice Captain

Wrathful Cat

12,925 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:52 pm
                                                                  Shea was out before Jean could say anything more, which suited Jean just fine. There was nothing more he felt like asking, which was no surprise as even talking with the deer was difficult. Although, he had been sorely tempted to call out how terrible the blanket turned into a hood looked, which he glimpsed when he glanced down in alarm at the motion of Shea's arm towards him. By the time Jean noticed the makeshift hood, Shea's back was turned. He was out the door right after that, but that entire time Jean was staring, harshly judging at what basically amounted to a sheet of unmeasured fabric tossed over the head. Knowing that there were antlers beneath the cloth did bother him, but... but... his aesthetic! Jean wondered, his usual passion for beauty tempered by his dislike of antlers and deer.

Jean decided in the end. He had too many other things he had to do. Although, with the deer gone, he found it much easier to think, and breathe. In fact, Jean had breathed a sigh of relief once the door slammed shut behind Shea.

The callous Jiongu looked at the torch Shea had held out to him earlier. He wasn't going to use it at the moment, but it was useful and a show of good thinking. <'Pitch,'> the fawn had said, and Jean thought about it for a bit, There was a bigger problem than pitch, though. Very little in the way of vegetation grew in the snow from what Jean remembered of his sheltered education. The child, continuing to be as sweet as ever, avoided meat because he felt that it was like cannibalism, and Jean, no matter how much he hated and feared deer, wasn't going to ruin that for him.

In all honesty, though, Jean wasn't sure what he was going to do about Shea's food or his. Indoors, though, was a terrible place to try and solve either problem. Shea's food wouldn't be found here, and Jean was uncertain over how much control he had over his tendrils. The last thing he wanted to do was bring their shelter down.

Standing up, Jean contemplated his many life-or-death dilemmas as he looked down at all of the supplies gathered. He kind of didn't want to go searching the rest of the homes circled around the well and risk running into Shea sooner than he had to. It was better for him if he could do something protective without having to be near the deer. A little voice in Jean's head said it was probably also better for the deer, but he didn't care enough about the deer to worry much about that, at all.

Still thinking, Jean walked out, noting that the temperature now only felt like it was trying to kill him with cold. Fabulous. Looking around now, he saw the bushes that had completely slipped his mind. Right, that was a good start. Completely clueless, Jean stepped right up close to a bush and crouched down, examining and trying to identify the whiter than snow stems and unknown, blue-ish white balls that hung from the branches. He presumed these were some kind of flower or berry, but was any of this bush edible? Maybe staring at it long enough will jog some sort of memory? [1/2; Herbology Skills: Identification]

Royal Taorito

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 am
User Image
                                      tab Shea Fal'nevan

[x] I lost track of which of the houses I'd last explored, so it took a couple of tries before I found anything of use, outside of a couple of chair legs to make more torches out of. I wasn't actually sure if I'd been in the pair of houses I tried first already; they all looked more or less the same, which made it confusing. At least the circle of houses we'd started at was obvious, and not a thick street's worth like in the city. Regardless, there was nothing of interest until the third house I reached.

Even then, the place was cleaned out about as well as the others. Only a couple random articles of fabric and some broken furniture really remained. But thanks to it, I added another chair leg to my collection. Wandering into the back room, on the other hand, I found what looked like an old work station. Several tools rusted beyond recognition were scattered about a table that looked like it was only held up by the bookcase beside it--which was empty of everything but a couple moth-eaten books that crumbled when I touched them. A pair of tongs were still in good condition, and I also found a chisel that seemed to still have a couple uses left in it. Draped over the remains of yet another chair--another torch!--was a leather apron that had definitely seen better days, but maybe it was still usable. At the very least maybe I could fashion it into something to provide a bit of warmth. As it was, it wouldn't do anything for my arms or legs, but we could work on that.

It made me wonder for a moment where Jean came from. He certainly didn't have the build of a warrior. He barely looked like he had seen the sun before, let alone held a blade for any length of time. Not like where I came from, where we were out in the sun all the time. I had more reason than most to stay out as long as possible. Going home meant dealing with my father, and that wasn't something I was interested in if I could avoid it.

Heading back outside with my loot in tow, I paused in the door way when I heard the crunch of snow. I watched for a moment as Jean approached a series of bushes along one side of the ring of houses and bent down to inspect them. I took that opportunity to scurry back to the building the warm glow of fire filtered from, so he wouldn't freeze up by spotting me again. If we were going to travel together for a short period, then I wanted to put as little stress on him as possible. But I knew nothing about this place. The plants were all unfamiliar, which meant risking eating something potentially poisonous, and I didn't have my yuunin, something I'd come to heavily rely on for a long time. I wasn't as physically strong as before, which wasn't really saying much in the first place, but any experience I'd had with a blade, I no longer had, even if I'd evidently started off in this place with one. Long story short, I didn't have much in the way of defending myself, so tagging along with someone who at least had a vague idea was for the best. Even if he hated my existence.

Maybe that was an extreme, but it was getting hard to feel otherwise when I was trying to be as cordial as possible.

tab .EXP : 150 .RYO : 両000 .HEALTH : Fine .INJURIES : None .THOUGHTS : "Maybe it would be better if I just left."

Headless Koko

Royal Taorito
Vice Captain

Wrathful Cat

12,925 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:42 pm
                                                                  The berry looked alirght, a bit like elderberries if he had to guess. Enduring the terrible cold, he removed a glove from one hand, not like the thin material offered much protection anyways, and reached out to pluck a berry. Rolling it through his fingers also elicited no reaction. Jean was just about to pop one in his mouth when he paused, thought about it for a bit, and instead of crushing it in his mouth, chose to crush it on the back of his hand instead. What followed was a strange warmth, and he was almost hopeful for a bit. Then followed searing pain. The pain of something so cold that it felt like fire rather than ice. Hissing in pain and anger, Jean aggressively swiped the crushed berry off of his hand with the gloved back of his other hand. He had to resist the urge to bring the freezing-burning patch of his skin to his warm mouth, where the risk of his mouth suffering the same fate was too high, and held it against his pants instead, minuscule rubs generating heat and trying to get rid of the last remnants of the berry. He hissed in pain the entire time, glaring at the offending bush. [1/2; Herbology Skills: Identification]

Eating the berries was clearly a no-go, but the snow white bush was pretty. Jean reached out with his good head and grabbed it by its stem, which he'd confirmed as safe when he picked the berry earlier. With a quick snap, or if he really had to, a prolonged wrestle, Jean broke off a nice, long branch from the bush, with little shoots that spread from it. It had plenty of berries, stem, and leaves to experiment on. He wasn't sure what to do with any of it, but as he had nothing else, anything was helpful.

Needing the heat of the fire, Jean had to return to the makeshift gathering place far sooner than he had hoped. He was breathing his warm breath onto the injury as he walked in, the fresh branch held loosely at his side. There was a moment, of course, when he saw Shea, antlers at all, and that prompted him to look all the way to the other side of room instead, but he didn't freeze like every other time, and in fact,

Sitting himself in his old spot besides the fire, Jean seemed completely intent on just warming up the back of his ungloved hand, which had taken a redddish tinge now. After a bit, though, his other hand and one of his knees worked together to break his branch in two. Keeping the upper half, Jean threw the lower half to Shea with the all too short warning of a stiff, "Here." "Don't eat the berries," was the very next thing that followed, and he continued to explain, "Crushing the berries gave me some mild frost n**. Though, aside from that, you can touch them and the rest of the bush just fine. Anyways, they're the only thing that looks vaguely edible here, so you should try to experiment."

That was where Jean intended to stop talking so he could leave and search whatever houses were left unsearched, but then he noticed the apron in Shea's pile of newly acquired loot. Well, he couldn't quite see from here what the worn out pile of leather was, but what mattered was that it was a pile of fabric that didn't look like it was about to disintegrate with moderate handling. His gaze, of course, focused in on the material, calculating how much he could work with and if it was enough. Although, the answer to that, of course, needed more information than he had, so he went about gathering it. Out of the blue, Jean asked, "How big is your head?".

Royal Taorito

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:36 am
User Image
                                      tab Shea Fal'nevan

[x] I had only just sat down to take another look at the strange scrolls that I swore had multiplied when Jean entered the house again. I looked up toward him out of habit, but he only glanced the other way, and didn't freeze up this time. I supposed that was an improvement, albeit no less hurtful. However, he did carry with him a branch bearing white berry, and I got my hopes up for a moment. Snapping the branch in two, he tossed one half at me over the fire. I caught it and immediately reached to pluck one of the fruits when he added on that we couldn't eat them. My gaze returned to him, and he explained. Somehow, the juice had caused frost n** on his hand. Definitely not something I wanted in my body then. Still, if they were the only even half-way edible substance here, then we had to figure out something.

Berries were precarious anyway. Most looked edible, and in exchange, most were poisonous. So I chose to inspect closer, as recommended. While the plants that inhabited this place were very unfamiliar, the beastlings were experts when it came to nature's bounty. I had never been great at it--mostly because I never tried that hard growing up--but years and much time on my own had helped. I couldn't grow them with yuunin here, but in order to do so in the first place, we had to know the plant well. Leaning forward to get better firelight, I examined the berries. Rather than them being white in color, it looked like they were actually coated in white, since it extended to the stem. Maybe that meant it could be wiped off, or cooked off. Unless it was unnatural. I gingerly touched one, squeezing it only slightly between two fingers to keep it from bursting. It was very cold to the touch, despite its proximity to warmth. The branch was too, but it had at least started warming up, unlike the berries. I set it down for a moment to warm up my hands again. [Herbology: Identification 1/2]

Jean spoke again as I stretched my cold hands toward the fire, eliciting a glance from me. "My... head?" Reaching up, I gently grasped my antlers, then dropped my hands to the headband I wore. Pulling it off with a bit of effort--such was the struggle of every time I got dressed or undressed--, since untying it would lose the size, I held the faded piece of fabric out to him. "I can't say I've ever measured it, but... maybe this will help?" Evidently though I was younger, the material that made up the band was not. I half wondered how much longer it would last until it tore, or was otherwise destroyed. "Just... return it when you're done."

If he refused, I simply set the headband aside for the moment. Regardless, I brushed the blonde locks that it had held back out of my face, suddenly self conscious of my scars since the third was now visible, and resumed examining the branch. The berries hung in clumps of four, and the white that coated them ended before touching the main branch, so maybe... I broke the clump off at the point it met the rest of the stick, and to my surprise and satisfaction, the white film faded from the berries. I carefully touched one again, and noted it was much warmer than before. "Hey, I think I figured it out." But I should test one just to be sure. Breaking off one of the clump, I tossed it into my mouth. It was funny, I couldn't help remarking, that I was a coward when it came to anything but potential food. [Herbology: Identification 2/2]

tab .EXP : 150 .RYO : 両000 .HEALTH : Fine .INJURIES : None .THOUGHTS : "Determination pay off...I guess?"

Headless Koko
                                      Lanfaer

Royal Taorito
Vice Captain

Wrathful Cat

12,925 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:48 pm
                                                                  Shea reaching over to him caught Jean off guard, and as per usual, he flinched more than just a little. However, he did reach out and take the headband from Shea. It was with extreme caution of course and there was an overly stiff nod to assure Shea that he would return the headband.

While Shea experimented with his branch, Jean studied the headband. It was made of old material and he couldn't understand why the deer would want it back but... he wasn't going to say something rude and risk getting gored. For that same reason, he didn't untie the headband and instead stretched it out before him, gently so as not to damage it. He eyeballed the length and started muttering it under his breath as he dug through his bag for something to write with/on. This meant a journal and his choice between pen and pencil. Jean brought both of them out. In one corner of a page, he wrote down his estimate of the circumference of Shea's head in pen, doubling the length he estimated from the headband that was folded in two. Then, beside that, he jotted down a few rough calculations to derive the diameter of the head. Nothing was perfect of course, from the eyeballed measures to the assumption of the head as a perfect circle. However, it gave him measurements to work with.

Placing Shea's headband off to the side, towards Shea but safely away from the fire, Jean switched to a pencil and proceeded to tap the pencil on the paper in thought. He preferred the softer design of the cowls that wrapped around the neck and then over the head, like a shawl could. However, leather, especially this leather, wasn't going to do such a design any justice. Something like the traditional Western monk's cowl would be better suited to the fabric on hand, a something that his once tapping pencil had already begun to sketch out rough concepts of. [Artistic Skills: Drawing 1/2]

What came out from under Jean's pencils were all traditional designs for leather cowls, which was all well and good. Right now, he was creating for the sake of survival, and while beauty was like breath to him, he wasn't going to be looking for gold when he was struggling to just find food (or in this specific case, look in general). However, the problem was the antlers, a thought that made Jean's hand freeze maybe two and a half really rough sketches in and cause him to sigh in frustration with his mouth closed. He didn't even want to think about those weird, wiggly, tentacle-like but rigid protrusions, much less think about how to make sure that the hood could easily come over and off them. He sort of recalled that Shea's weren't actually that bad, but still. Antlers were antlers, both in terms of how much Jean dreaded them and in terms of how the cowl would need to work around them. The cowl didn't need to look elegant, but Jean was going to be damned if he was going to let someone around him walk around with two random bumps ruining the smooth cover over their head. If he was going to allow that, he might as well just let Shea toss the untouched leather fabric over his head and call it a day. Just to see just in case Jean sketched out what it might look like with... uh... horns. Yes, horns and not antlers. How would that stretch the fabric? Yeah no. He took one look at what he sketched and bit his lip in thought. [Artistic Skills: Drawing 2/2]

As Jean ran down the list of possible fixes, the most obvious being flaps to let the antlers to peek through but that was a huge NONO for his purposes, Shea piped in with his news. Jean's pencil stopped scratching across the surface of the slowly filling paper just in time for him to hear the sound of a Shea popping a berry into his mouth. "Good job," was his only comment, said begrudgingly like everything else he had to say to Shea. Then he returned to his journal. His pencil began tapping once more, but he couldn't think of a solution.

Jean decided and stood up without hesitation. His work and tools were slid/placed away on top of the bag. He was pretty confident that he knew how to figure out his creative blocks. This one, he was sure, wasn't going to go away by just sitting around. He'd need to move and think about how to avoid the awkward lumps in the cowl and to do it in a way to conserved the limited availability of fabric. It'd also need to be simple, since Jean could just feel that his skills were rusty, rustier than a door hinge left to sit in water for over a month.

With the only explanation being, "I'm going to go out and look through the rest of the houses," Jean was all ready to just open the door and go out for a bit. That is, until a jacket suddenly blasted into his face through the just opened door. Shortly after Jean pulled the coat off of his face in alarm, he was blasted with the rest of the set: long pants, a pair of boots, gloves, and a scarf. The pair of boots, in particular, looked like they hurt when they blasted right into his gut, prompting the not tough at all Jiongu to double over in shock and pain. What was this? Random karma for being so mean to Shea? Yeah. This rper can confirm that it was exactly that.

Royal Taorito

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:41 pm
_______________The Narrator Whispers... ||
tab Flavor erupted into Shea's mouth, the flavor of Winter itself with a minty, but sweet, flavor that came with all things berries and a hint of the supernatural. At the same time he would notice that there was, in the distance, the sound of someone's voice...making some sort of whooping sound at a rapid pace. For Jean it was obviously the sound of someone rather skilled yodeling, and they were coming close. What this would mean for them as far as danger was concerned would be answered quite handily moments later as a figure dressed in browns, yellow and grays came down the path that led through the village pushing a cart of jingling bells. The figure had a bushy mustache that encroached upon their face, their chin completely bald save for an enormous, convulsing wart that stuck out towards them and grew stiff in attention.
tab The figure came closer towards their direction, unleashing the strange cry while swinging merrily side to side and back and forth with each step, and as he grew closer it became obvious that there was something weird about the man, but for the moment there was nothing to indicate what. He was old, face ragged and wrinkled, with ears that stuck out too far on the sides and a booty like powwwwww! And by that the little voices in your head were referencing the bottom that stuck out so far it might as well have been an undulating bench seat. As he came it became apparent that weapons, armor, and other nicks and knacks dangled from the cart as he approached and said with a booming, theatrical voice, "Greetings, Wakeners!"

Royal Taorito

HeadlessKoko

Lanfaer
Captain

Aged Genius

8,075 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hygienic 200

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:57 pm
                                                                  Jean had only barely recovered from the damage dealt to him by the lucky(?) windfall when he heard a strange noise crest over the tops of the houses and reach his ears. This was, he was certain, yodeling. It was really rather good yodeling. He might have praised it at any other time, but right now, he wasn't in such a mood. Aside from the disturbance brought to him by the objects of clothing, he also felt himself wary of any newcomers, strangers who could be friend or foe for all he knew. Seeing there was no time to run out and away, though, Jean spent the fleeting moments before the appearance of the stranger picking out the winter jacket from his new belongings and draping it over his shoulders like some sort of cape while he kept the others bundled in his arms.

When Jean looked up from adjusting his jacket-cape, he was... cursed with the visage of the yodeler. He wasn't so uppity as to expect a model of elegance or anything of that sort in any aspect of this stranger. However, he certainly didn't think that his eyes would be so rudely ravaged by a gigantic wart, made to stand out all the more from the naked chin it sat upon by the bizarre mustache that framed it, like it was some work of art, grotesque art. The appendage, because it was large enough in Jean's opinion to be considered as such, even moved. That is, until it grew stiff in attention, and upon doing so, seemed even larger. Speechless Jean could barely contain himself, almost literally. Feeling like he was going to be sick, Jean covered his mouth and turned away, a hand on the door frame to hold his body steady.

In the corner of his vision, though, he could see the figure coming closer, affording him no rest. The rest of the belled traveler's face wasn't terrible, but it certainly did nothing to allay Jean's discomfort with the wart. He didn't mind the pointed ears, either. However, the swaying bench seat of a butt... Oh mother... It was a wonderful thing that the jiongu had nothing he could throw up as he couldn't eat in the first place. Jean turned back to face the man and slowly backed away, looking as if he was trying to keep his distance from a moving pile of garbage. His disgust quite obvious, Jean retreated back into the house and, for probably the first time, he actually appreciated his deer companion. At least Shea looked... Well, to be quite frank, Jean wasn't sure of the details because he generally avoided looking anywhere in the vicinity of Shea, but of what he could tell, Shea looked at least bearable.

Royal Taorito

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:23 am
User Image
                                      tab Shea Fal'nevan

[x] The berry turned out to be worth the effort to eat it, and now that I knew how to safely remove them from the stem, I had access to them as long as I could find them. The taste reminded me of the winter and the snow that lay beyond the comfort of our safe space. It had a minty blast that was cool and refreshing, but was also sweet, neither taste overbearing. It wasn't as good as my favorite fruit--what I wouldn't do for a bushel of them right now--but definitely satisfactory in a way I would seek out more. Now, whether or not they were nutritious enough to live off of was a different story altogether. Jihenberries were the gift of the gods, enhanced yuunin, and provided all nutrients needed within their small forms. Normally they weren't very common but before I had ended up here and lost the ability to use my yuunin, I only needed one and could grow a whole bush. Which meant an infinite supply as long as I had the energy for it. These winter berries, for the moment, it was impossible to tell if they did anything.

I watched Jean as, frustrated with whatever he was trying to make, stood and made his way to the door, intent on searching any remaining houses--I thought I'd gotten all of the ones in the immediate area, but a second glance never hurt. But as he opened the door, a powerful gust swept in, bringing with it, somehow, a set of winter clothing. He was almost knocked over by a pair of boots to the gut. Though how wind had managed to carry the boots was beyond me. Regardless, he didn't get far before we both heard a strange sound. My ears perked up, straining to pick up more of whatever it was.

It sounded sort of like... singing? Weird, guttural singing that was steadily getting louder as its source moved closer. With it came a jingling and clanging. My curiosity got the better of me and I pushed myself to my feet just as Jean backpedaled into the room, looking rather green. Giving my pale-haired companion a wide berth, I peered outside to see what was going on.

The...man who was making the racket pushed along a cart that looked to be full of weapons and other potentially useful items. He bore a thick mustache that may as well have taken up half of his face if it weren't for his bald chin. Pointed ears meant he wasn't do'vra, or at least not entirely, but he also had no animal features leaving me only to guess he had to have been some sort of mix breed. They weren't as concerning as the undulating, massive wart on his chin that I couldn't seem to tear my gaze away from for any length of time. For the time I managed to, the only other remarkable feature this man bore was a rear that I probably could have sat on because it stuck out so far from his body. My eyes drifted back to the wart as he spoke. "Eléni," I offered in greeting, once more unable to tear my gaze away. "Wakeners?" I echoed, choosing finally to look at his cart of wears instead.

tab .EXP : 150 .RYO : 両000 .HEALTH : Fine .INJURIES : None .THOUGHTS : "...?"

Headless Koko
                                      Lanfaer

Royal Taorito
Vice Captain

Wrathful Cat

12,925 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

Lanfaer
Captain

Aged Genius

8,075 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:11 pm
_______________The Mole Quivers... ||
tab The obviously strange fellow looks between the two of you with a mix of amusement and fuzzy animal impersonation, given it is difficult to truly see his face under the mustache. Eyes narrowing in observation he reachs up and tugs on the wart in thought, which struggles vainly against his grip in what appears to be panic. When he releases it to hold up a finger in thought it seems almost relieved, drooping down in defeat. "Why, you are, young man!" is the awaited reply, his voice still booming like a town crier who had too much to drink. Pointing directly at you, and then at Jean, he continues. "Humans been dead for centuries! Seeing you again is truly inspiring! After that gopher swindled me for that club and the horse practically ate my leg for that suit of steel I'd just about given up my trade!" The aforementioned mole shot erect in terror before the man reached for it, and it expertly dodges the grip. What ensues is a very nonchalant dance as the man's hand snatches at the mole and it keeps dodging just out of reach in clear distress. Only after twenty or so passes does he seem to pin it down, only then to rub it. All, of course, with a straight face.
tab "Welp, I'm here, so let's see what you got, and I'll see what I got! I'll show ya mine and you show me your's! I'll scratch your mole, and you'll scratch mine, as the old sayings go!" Turning with mole in a firm grip he waddle-shuffles his way around to the side of the cart and grabs a wooden crank on the side, and begins to turn it fiercely. For the moment nothing happens. "So, what're you called?"
tab
tab
tab

Royal Taorito

HeadlessKoko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 pm
                                                                  Oh, the tragedy. Jean couldn't look any longer after the wart started expressing emotion. He turned away and just kept on walking further into the house until he reached the campfire. He stood blankly in front of the fire for some time, not quite sure what to make of himself. The image of the wart kept on dancing in his memory, and Jean had half a mind to claw his eyes out. The only reason he didn't was because he feared the darkness following would only make the image that much more vivid, so he simply stared into the flickering flames, hoping the beauty of their natural dance would replace the horrific tango running through his mind.

However, Jean hadn't been ignoring the conversation. He heard everything that was said. It was his eyes, not his ears, that were dysfunctional, after all. The mention of goods caused the beauty to perk up, his head raising and almost turning to face the wart-faced merchant before abruptly stopping. Did he really want to look at this man? No. Not in all the world, but business was business. Jean looked down at his clothes and what he held in his hands. As much as he hated to admit it, his situation was too pressing to be reluctant to let go of spare clothes. Without another word, Jean walked into another room in the house where he could undress in piece. There, he quickly changed out of his current clothes and donned the new winter wear that had attacked him just earlier.

Royal Taorito

Lanfaer

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Royal Taorito
Vice Captain

Wrathful Cat

12,925 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:23 am
User Image
                                      tab Shea Fal'nevan

[x] My gaze remained ever fixed on the moving mole on the apparent merchant's face. I... couldn't look away as he attempted to grab at it, all the while it evaded his grasp. I half listened as he responded. We were the wakeners. Humans had been dead for centuries, something about a horse eating his leg. Wait...what? "Humans?" I echoed again, pulling my eyes away from the mole at long last. It wasn't a term that I recognized; the name the countrymen called themselves maybe? It definitely wasn't any of the kingdoms on the mainland. Just where had I ended up? "Is that what the people here call... called themselves?" My hands moved up to gently grasp at my antlers. "And do you mean they look like Beastlings or... more like him?" I nodded my head toward Jean, who had fled back to the fire.

I wasn't sure if the man would answer, however, as he seemed to be more interested in selling his wears--as did Jean in buying them. The mention of sales brought the pale-haired boy's attention back to the merchant with a particular glimmer in his eyes as he actively avoided looking directly at the bushy man. Satisfied, he moved around his cart and turned a crank voraciously, even though it appeared to do nothing. Jean had disappeared into one of the other rooms with his handful of clothing, leaving only myself to answer them man's questions. "Ah... My name is Shea." I offered, watching him continue to turn the handle before sweeping my gaze across the objects that decorated the outside of the cart. Snacking on another berry, I pulled my blanket tighter around myself to withstand the cold and approached the merchant. "I don't know about Jean but I don't have much in the way of money, so I amn't sure how much value trading with us will offer." I shuffled my feet around in the snow. "If you have any clothes that are a bit warmer, though, I would like to try to buy them."

tab .EXP : 500 [+350] .RYO : 両000 .HEALTH : Fine .INJURIES : None .THOUGHTS : "...?"

Headless Koko
                                      Lanfaer

[金] The Iron Nationals [金] ► Tsukihara Region

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas