Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Adam and Eve DID perform the first sin! (Warning: LOGIC) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:55 pm
The whole thing with Women and Men starts with something simple.

If you work, and you work hard, and you have a purpose, than you have status.

In my home...it has always been a prime example. My brothers don't want to clean up anything, they stink, they've been in trouble with the law...and guess who is the perfect child? Me!

See...I get good grades, keep my nose out of trouble, and take care of everything at home. I end of doing most of the dishes, vaccuming the house, feeding and caring for the animals...and I wash regularly(something two step-brothers never do). It is because of that that I tend to have a bigger say in things than the boys ever did.

Now if you apply that to...civilization...as men belittled women into housewives and baby-making machines...women lost status. They were not allowed to work or do much of anything. In cultures like the native american where the women worked too...the women had better status.

So see? The reason why women have what they do now is because religion has become seperated from the state in many places now. That is why women were able to rise, and gain the freedoms that they should have.

I'm no Feminist...but there is a direct co-relation between the decline of religious power, and the rise of women and thier rights. I think that pretty much explains it doesn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:02 pm
Sanguvixen
That doesn't mean much though.

'Twas enough to keep women subjugated for thousands of years.

Sanguvixen
I'm no Feminist...but there is a direct co-relation between the decline of religious power, and the rise of women and thier rights. I think that pretty much explains it doesn't it?

You know, that is true. I guess that means... crying the decline of men!

I was reading an article in TIME about how boys, now that oppurtunities are getting more equal, are lagging behind girls in tests. They suggested seperating classes by genders, and changing the teaching style (speaking louder, keep the lights brighter, focus on work with one's hands) for males.

Say, Sangu,

When women take over the world, could you leave a little food out on your porch? You know, for me? sad

xd  

DivideByZero14

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:25 pm
DivideByZero14
Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

I was reading an article in TIME about how boys, now that oppurtunities are getting more equal, are lagging behind girls in tests. They suggested seperating classes by genders, and changing the teaching style (speaking louder, keep the lights brighter, focus on work with one's hands) for males.

Say, Sangu,

When women take over the world, could you leave a little food out on your porch? You know, for me? sad

xd

Hmmm...it depends. You don't mind badly cooked food do you?

I'm...not very much of a good cook. The only food that is left on the porch currently is cat food for two stray cats that have adopted the yard around the house, and the porch.

Women will not surpass man. There will be an equilibrium one day...hopefully.

I read somewhere(I'd have to get my claws on the site again)...that there are some religous extremists who think that women should not be allowed to teach(be teachers).

The feel that women shouldn't have control(in a class-room setting or anywhere else) over boys or men....because of the whole Adam and Eve story.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:10 pm
I find that strange to...how we all came from 2 people. According to the King James Bible it wasn't considered incest because the blood was pure back then. I wonder how they found that out?  

gilmore_fanatic

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:49 pm
Sanguvixen
DivideByZero14
Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

Say, Sangu,

xd

I'm...not very much of a good cook. The only food that is left on the porch currently is cat food for two stray cats that have adopted the yard around the house, and the porch.

I read somewhere(I'd have to get my claws on the site again)...that there are some religous extremists who think that women should not be allowed to teach(be teachers).

The feel that women shouldn't have control(in a class-room setting or anywhere else) over boys or men....because of the whole Adam and Eve story.

Sick how one little legend affects us so much today, iddin' it?  
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:26 am
I think the "humans" would have been geneticaly similar to the monkeys enough so that they could produce non-incestual babies.  

LleuLlawGyfes

Muaethia

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:41 am
Sanguvixen
DivideByZero14
Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

Say, Sangu,

xd

Meh... crappy fundies, shoving their opinions onto the world again stressed

I don't get churches who are against woman priests, either. If you're going to be a christian, at least set an example to the world that women aren't the property of their husbands any more.

Don't wicca or something still worship a male and a female God? I think something was about this in the da vinci code...

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:37 pm
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
DivideByZero14
Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

Say, Sangu,

xd

I don't get churches who are against woman priests, either. If you're going to be a christian, at least set an example to the world that women aren't the property of their husbands any more.

Don't wicca or something still worship a male and a female God? I think something was about this in the da vinci code...

I don't have sources for this, but I am pretty certain that the first religions to worship dieties...didn't have male dieties. In fact the first deities to be worshipped were female.

Interesting huh? I read that somewhere.

Sanguvixen

iviary

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:55 pm
Sanguvixen
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
DivideByZero14
Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

Say, Sangu,

xd

I don't have sources for this, but I am pretty certain that the first religions to worship dieties...didn't have male dieties. In fact the first deities to be worshipped were female.

Interesting huh? I read that somewhere.

That makes sense. The most obvious "miracle" is birth. Since human women give birth to us, it seems logical, without other scientific knowledge, that female god(s) would give birth to the world.  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:48 pm
iviary
That makes sense. The most obvious "miracle" is birth. Since human women give birth to us, it seems logical, without other scientific knowledge, that female god(s) would give birth to the world.

That is a lot of the plot of The Da Vinci Code right there. Also, is it really that myth that resulted in female subjugation, or males' physical superiority originally, and then justified through the myth?  

DivideByZero14

Latke

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:03 pm
DivideByZero14
iviary

That is a lot of the plot of The Da Vinci Code right there. Also, is it really that myth that resulted in female subjugation, or males' physical superiority originally, and then justified through the myth?

It seems more logical to me that males would have thought of themselves as superior first, probably due to their better physical traits, and then come up with a myth to justify that superiority over females. As the myths were passed down, both men and women were conditioned to believe that men were the better sex. The idea was actually taught to people. Bleh. Humans do weird things.

Did someone mention Lilith? All I know about her is what I've seen in Neon Genesis Evangelion. xd  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:25 pm
paulkimpaul
Hey, don't forget about Lilith, the third human who was created under mysterious circumstances.

According to mythology, Lilith was actually the second human, but she did not believe herself inferior to Adam and left the Garden. She later became the Queen of Demons or something and was the first succubus. This is how wet dreams were explained.  

Phoebos

ChocoChan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
~Fashionably~Challanged~
iviary
katthevamp1
darkmusashi
Sanguvixen

In the story Eve sinned first. That is why for many ages, women were treated inferior to man.

No it isn't. Several societies that did not have that story have been patriarchal as well biggrin
Well, most that follow one god agree with it.

But not necessarily due to "Original Sin".
True. What I don't get is why thier children should be punished for thier parents sins.

What I understand even less is how we women are all being punished for Eve's sin, when the new testament claims that parents cannot take the blame for their children, nor the children for their parents. I paraphrased that, I know, but it's something like that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:43 pm
I know! The thought that I am being "punished" for something I had no part of is absured. And how compasionate God is, throwing them out of Eden forever for one thing. So, all of humanity is ruined because of them? And how did we prosper if there were only two human beings in the beginning? Incest? "Gee, thanks God." rolleyes  

JadeDragonSoul

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:35 pm
Sanguvixen

Other cultures have been very religious and not had that sort of issue, like as you mentioned Native American cultures where women had alot of status. There are some movements and groups in religions that don't support complete equality like someone else mentioned with not allowing women preachers. But topics like divorce, abortion, and birth control I do agree with you on, as far as I have experience with in western culture with I guess I should say. xD As time has gone by and society here has changed, women have gained more independence and right to choose as they gain higher levels of education and money.

LleuLlawGyfes
I think the "humans" would have been geneticaly similar to the monkeys enough so that they could produce non-incestual babies.

Wha? o.x
It doesn't matter how early along in evolution it occurred. The concept of incest has to do with the genetics of the two humans involved and how similar they are.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff