Welcome to Gaia! ::

100 Days of Art Event

Back to Guilds

This is a self-improving event for ARTISTS! 

Tags: 100days, Drawing, creative, Improve, Event 

Reply 100 Days Event (2023)
☃️ sdrawkcab ☃️ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:01 pm
        Day: 15
        Theme: Refreshment
        Time spent: 85 mins

User Image

Comments:
        This took a little longer to paint than I assumed cuz I forgot how intricate ice is. > < ... It doesn't look like it, but that was a whole lotta different colors even tho it's simplified.
        It was good practice at eliminating elements from a ref. There were objects behind the cups and someone's face reflected in the glasses.
        The downside is that the rims used to have a lot of fun colors reflected from the objects around the cups, but I ignored parts that would no longer make sense.

Fashion Challenge: Steampunk; Refreshment; King Cobra; Grand Arena; Artemis; Hell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:13 pm
        Day: 16
        Theme: Lemon
        Time spent: 55 mins

User Image

Comments: Another one of those times where it took longer to draw than I'd assumed but I filled it all by hand and kept finding spots i missed XD

Personified an Element; Insanity; Rat; Caribbean; Lemon; Hydrangea

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:37 pm
        Day: 17
        Theme: Panther
        Time spent: 43 mins

User Image

Comments: Just trying to get back into sticker mode... but wanted to play with trees. Oh lol. Just noticed the shape of the background tree. XD I was half paying attention while drawing and it shows

Study Challenge: Books; Narcissism; Panther; Restaurant; Moon; St. Patrick's Day

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:23 pm
        Day: 18
        Theme: Coconut
        Time spent: 70 mins

User Image

Comments: Wins and fails here.. and I can see a couple things I'll change another time
        I saw the prompt and immediately thought of a FPC I've seen and wanted to try making shiny coconuts

Design Challenge: a Tarot Card; Relaxation; Panda; Maui; Coconut; Goblins

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:00 pm
        Day: 19
        Theme: Beaches
        Time spent: 42 mins

User Image User Image

Comments: Practice. Well, every day is practice. XD; But I wanted to try drawing a simplified beach wave. I need to practice from someone else's simplified beach wave. Looking at about 3 different images to make this one didn't help. XD
        Included the cropped version cuz the phone's thumbnail preview showed it cropped and it looked better XD

Color Challenge: Monochrome Purple; Strictness; Piranha; Beaches; Leo; Sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:20 pm
        Day: 20
        Theme: duck
        Time spent: 53 mins

User Image

Comments: iPad post. I thought I’d have time to post in the main thread today but I’ve had a headache and don’t feel like it.
        Glitter duck. It's so... soft. I needed to punch up the shine in the shadows. I had to add such dark shadows tho cuz this was a big yellow blob. XD It was a fight... that I lost. Oh well.

Finish/improve an earlier work from this event;
Pick a previous Unused theme (state day #);
Fashion Challenge: 20s; Love; Duck; Cape Town; Bulb; Draw the Event mule, 100 Day Event

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:05 pm
        Day: 21
        Theme: Lemur
        Time spent: 56 mins

User Image

User Image

Comments:
        Story time. I'm gonna try to keep this as short as I can. (lol)
        Original plan: use markers ...to draw a lemur
        I decided to be smart and thumbnail my idea digitally first so I wouldn't have to erase a bunch on paper. (I erased a lot for the recent colored pencil prompt.)
        However, I continued digitally and nixed the marker plan cuz my idea morphed as I drew.

Original idea: A pink&purple lemur, sitting in basically this pose, circle bg, and green foliage around it. It was gonna be a standard lemur, aside from the fur color.

What happened: First, sorry to anyone here who loves lemurs: I don't think they're cute. Well, they're cute in my mind until I see an image and remember that they aren't cute.
        And I wanted to draw something cute.
        I looked at images of lemurs and remembered that they aren't cute. (cute cute cute cute... it's the best descriptor here)

New plan: Draw from imagination. I went for rounded fur shapes to try to keep it simplistic and cute.
        Downfall: The pose I drew wasn't working out.
        New plan: The way I drew the arm made me want to add droopy sleeves. So I added a hoodie / bunny hug. I also added pants cuz I find the Winnie-the-Pooh-and-Donald-Duck style awkward. I used clothing as a copout to hide how bad it was going.

I nixed the foliage since I didn't want to complicate the colors. I wanted to use fun, bold colors... but not a ton of them.

I like the final outcome. This is a lemur in clothing all drawn without ref.
        I had to get the ref back out for the coloring tho. I colored it in... then double checked a ref.. and saw I'd gotten the markings and coloration wrong. > <; Fixed that.

Also also, my app doesn't have a good "fill" function. It leaves pixel artifacts alllll over. So a lot of my time is spent just flat filling. <.<

@the art in the spoiler:
        That's my Lemur art for the 100th day of the 2020 event.
        I found it humorous that I added clothing to today's lemur since I added clothing last time I drew a lemur too. That one wasn't a copout. I did a VSCO girl theme for that one cuz I found it amusing to juxtapose an animal I didn't find cute in that cutesy pose.
        It had been a long time since I last looked at my VCSO girl lemur. It's a good reminder that I need to copy some of my older art. I still do a lot of the same tricks, but I keep too many "styles."
        I keep saying that I need to make a folder of my own fav art old to continue to make art choices that I like. I still haven't. This one wouldn't have been on my radar, but I like it. It's nice to look back at my old art and like it.

Medium Challenge: Markers (paint markers OK); Tiredness; Lemur; Mountains; Capricorn; Marriage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:41 pm
        Day: 22
        Theme: Great Barrier Reef
        Time spent: 34 mins

User Image

Comments: Just filling time

Style Challenge: The Boondocks; Repulsiveness; Goat; Great Barrier Reef; Ginger; Chrysanthemum

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:12 pm
        Day: 23
        Theme: Komodo Dragon
        Time spent: 31 mins

User Image

Comments: I had a 'game' as a kid that informed on a lot of animals. Komodo dragons were included. I think they called them 'living dragons' and that was so cool
        I drew a lot of animals as a kid... but I never drew komodo dragons. I can safely say that... I still don't feel like drawing komodo dragons. XD;;

That was good to be pushed out of my comfort zone though
        I've been wanting to do one of my other coloring styles but it's just not aligning with these prompts. Or maybe I'm not. idk. I felt fine earlier but I'm bleh now so I'm gonna just post and run again.

Personified the object: Ruler; Trend; Komodo Dragon; Hospital; Manticore; Moonflower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:24 pm
        Day: 24
        Theme: Love Letter, Sea Urchin, Grace
        Time spent: 30 mins

User Image User Image User Image

Comments: Today is one of those days where I'm glad that the min time req is 30 mins and not 40 like it used to be. XD Finding an idea that'll fill 30 mins is the tough part most days.

@Love Letter: 12 mins
        What first came to mind was a letter sticking out of an envelope and I just felt like it would be copying someone else's art... since someone else's art was clearly the image in my mind. I decided on a paper airplane version of notes passed in school. I assumed it'd fill 30 mins... but it didn't.

@Sea Urchin: 15 mins
        The last sea urchin drawing I did for 100 day is still feels too fresh so I was avoiding this prompt. Buuut I figured a seamless pattern would fill up time. I don't like this and wasn't into it. During it, I noticed a quadrant must've been off a sliver. But XD at the last reveal, I saw that dot layer is waaaay off. I hadn't made a mistake like that in ages and idk when it happened.
        Fixing it would fill time but :/ I don't like this trash and don't wanna put more energy into it.

@Grace: 3 mins
        So then... it dawned on me that swans are often synonymous with grace. Too bad I didn't think of that earlier or else I would've put effort into a swan drawing instead. I just needed to fill 3 mins sooo here's a 3 min swan.

Music Challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAzWT8mRoR0;
Grace; Sea Urchin; Baseball field; John Wick; Love Letter

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:04 pm
        Day: 25
        Theme: Oni
        Time spent: 53 mins

User Image

Comments: Realized while drawing that it’s my Gaiaversary.
        Also, a quarter into this event already? Went fast.
        And this drawing is.. idk.. just felt like doodling. It’s mostly based on Gaia’s various oni items, but I also felt like drawing silly faces

Color Challenge: Monochrome Brown; Romance; Butterfly; Garden of Hope; Sphinx; Oni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:22 pm
        Day: 26
        Theme: Restaurant (Day 17)
        Time spent: 1h 47mins

User Image

Comments: FPC. Here’s a painting of some cut up lemons.. and oranges and limes.
        I knew it was a busy ref and should’ve used a cropped section. I considered cropping but I loved all the shadows, didn’t want to lose them and assumed I could still paint it quickly. I got bogged down in details instead of trying to keep it loose with broad strokes. I’m happy with the outcome…. There’s already things I know I wanna tweak.. but I’m done drawing.
        I’m also trying hard to say something nice. I’m usually happier with these when I see them the next day with fresh eyes. I’m still disgruntled and crunchy over focusing on details for so long and am just happy it’s in this mostly finished state.

Pick a previous Unused theme (state day #)

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:07 pm
        Day: 27
        Theme: Movement
        Time spent: 34 mins

User Image User Image

Comments: Spent 18 mins on the first one. It's supposed to be the inside of a tornado but it kinda looks like draining water: take your pick. I wanted to recreate something I drew years ago. The original is better. The brush I used didn't have the same tapering as the old pic.

Spent 16 mins on the.. cats. I googled images of blurry cats (motion blur). About 10 mins of sketches. The rest was adding the 'watercolor' in layers. Time filler. I can't call it practice cuz I should've studied sketches of motion blurs.

Personified a Season; Movement; Mole; Bus stop; Amaranthus; Medusa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:48 pm
        Day: 28
        Theme: Discordance; Zelda
        Time spent: 32 mins

User Image User Image

Comments: I just wanna nap. > < I was good and got my art done first. I'm half braindead and ran with my first ideas...

@discordance; 15 mins
        I kept remembering some trig thing about discordant waves. I googled but couldn't find the topic to confirm but.. I also am too tired for a math refresher right now. My results kept showing some ECG waves that are considered to be discordant so I just grabbed those shapes for this.
        Anywho, the discordant birds are pulling the wire in opposing directions.
        And since this was just my first, very simple idea... the drawing didn't fill time. = .= I even tried to take my time and stretch it out. XD;;;

@Zelda; 17 mins
        (Side note; That Zelda direct today, amiright? Exciting. TotK looks cool.)
        Windwaker-style Link with a bottle of ramen cuz I could
        I thought about adding a Zelda cow and drawing Lon Lon milk but... I just don't feel like drawing a cow. > <

Design Challenge: Word Art; Discordance; Cow; Yuki-onna; Libra; Zelda

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:47 pm
        Day: 29
        Theme: Redraw an old drawing (5+ years old)
        Time spent: 30 mins (30 mins and 26 seconds XD )

User Image User Image

Comments:
        old (Aug 2006) | redraw (Mar 2023)

First off, my redraw is giving me vibes of a character from AtlA - the actor who played Aang in that Ember Island play.

Next up, I... like it? It's obviously full of proportional errors. And I hate that. It makes me laugh at least, so that’s a win.

I didn't find the older drawing that I was looking for. I instead found a binder of old Gaia chibis. And I really loved this chibi; it's even in a plastic sleeve. (Sometime after this, I stopped drawing for many years. I drew sparingly but I’ve only been steadily (ish) drawing again since 2020.)

This was one of my peak chibis. It’s a good challenge since I never draw people anymore. Heck, I accepted that the new one could be worse than the original. XD I'm glad it worked out.
        I purposely accepted whatever flowed out as I drew. Otherwise, I’d have fretted for hours over it. So I guess this is my current style

My biggest surprise was how fast it was. Major improvement. ...But, tbf, it is a character that I've drawn hundreds of times (usually horribly).

I added in some details that changed over the years. I also changed the portable CD player into a phone.. just to keep with the updated theme.

"delivered" art

Redraw an old drawing (5+ years old); Liberty; Lion; Pirate Ship; Wasabi; Assassin

100 Days Event (2023)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff