Welcome to Gaia! ::

100 Days of Art Event

Back to Guilds

This is a self-improving event for ARTISTS! 

Tags: 100days, Drawing, creative, Improve, Event 

Reply 100 Days Event (2023)
After Thaw - 2023 Post-Event Thread! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:24 pm
Quadropopilous
∂εɱµ૨ε ɠα૨∂εɳ ∂εɱσɳ
··················································

Thank you to sdrawkcab again for doing the spotlight! How did you feel doing it? How long did it take you? It feels like it would take me forever and it was such a load off everyone's shoulders. I wasn't even sure if we should have it to be honest. But I'm glad you stepped in!

㊦㊚

(I got interrupted while typing this one up)
No problem! I usually like to offer help to people running event/game stuff like this. I like if I can help here and there. c:

Okay so, I found it so ironic that I was picking Spotlight. XD I don't like the pressure of singling out one piece of artwork from many. And artists have a lot of good art days!! It's hard justifying picking one good piece over another good piece. I also <.< >.> don't usually pay much attention to the spotlight posts. > < As I just said in the above post, I usually look through everyone's art anyway XDD and don't need the highlights.
.... Speaking of, that was an advantage. Once it came time to pick the art, it didn't take long because I (usually) had already seen it all. XDD

And THANK YOU @ Chii for pre prepping all of the headers for the Spotlight thread. She made all of the posts (with the guild mule) added the banners with the correct days/dates for each one. That saved me time there. c:

I'm just throwing the rest of this into a spoiler because I have a feeling this'll be a chunky little post.

Okay so, I didn't pay attention to how long it took to do the Spotlight each week. I timed it today for this response tho. c:
You picked it at the beginning when we had a lot more active artists. The event was smaller this year and averaged like 9-11 active artists each week so it didn't take long to trawl thru threads.
... I had days where it appeared to take me a long time to do the Spotlight if anyone paid attention to the time it took between me making and editing posts but... that's because I had Survivor on at the same time. XD; So I mostly watched Survivor and sparingly worked on Spotlight.

The first set of tasks are all lumped together since they're done concurrently. They entail:
- grabbing the header code from the spotlight thread
- starting a new post in the main thread and using that to stage all the text
- opening up the spreadsheet and marking it off as I go
- looking thru a thread, grabbing quote code, pasting alphabetically, capping each image

I paid attention to the time for a couple artists. That process took about 1 min each for a couple of the artists.
Overall, from start to making the post in the event thread, it took me 30 mins. I didn't rush and I also doublechecked to make sure I didn't miss anyone. My computer lagged opening a couple of the threads. (no fault of the thread, it just likes to do that.) And XD;;; a few people had multiple pages of art to sift through this week.

And the next steps are even faster.
It took 2 mins to edit the week's spotlight code into the Spotlight thread.
I also added the link to the banner. All banners in that thread link to each respective post in the main thread.
I removed all the quote code from the text since I don't want to quote people a second time.

And then XD I have down that it took me 3 mins to go to the spotlight marker thread and make that post there. All I do is quote a previous post and update all the info. ...It was unnecessary info and was a bother to update the week, days, dates, link, and date completed with each post. That was dumb. I don't think it took a full 3 mins tho. I know I talked to my cat at some point during this and... so I'm pretty sure that padded the time here. XD;;

So overall, it took 35 mins to do today's Spotlight (since I didn't watch TV at the same time). Not too bad. c: I also love editing posts on Gaia so XD;; thanks for the fun. c;

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:21 pm
Cabbie thank you so much for taking on the spotlight! Seriously, you are wonderful and made everything less stressful ^^ I'm so glad you didn't feel like it was a chore. That would be the last thing I wanted!  

crazypieloverangel
Crew

Hilarious Flatterer

Selini

Invisible Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:26 pm
Nice thread. But dang, sorry that previous survey cost you that much. :c

As for the event, I think I did alright. It's the first time I was able to draw consecutively for 100 days straight, so I'm feeling kinda happy about that. As for improvement, I did notice some. Mostly with being able to draw more confidently and not being as afraid to make mistakes. Though some drawings didn't turn out the way I wanted and some took me a frustratingly long time, I tried to not let it get to me that much. It feels nice knowing that I even pushed through when I wasn't in the mood to draw... And honestly some of my most favorite drawings in the event came from those moments. So I'm glad I pushed through, otherwise those drawings probably wouldn't exist.

Anyway, sorry. Some self-reflection.

Thank you guys again for hosting this. And thanks to those who helped keep it going. Also, congrats to all artists who participated. It was fun viewing everybody's work. ^^

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:25 pm
Quadropopilous
∂εɱµ૨ε ɠα૨∂εɳ ∂εɱσɳ

Katal
man, Gaia really does not like that link lol
have to copy and then paste in a new tab. can't quick open it in new tab xP

HEY xD I didn't invite you for the survey! Well if you did it I can't stop you haha. I'll take any notes whole heartedly though

㊦㊚

curiosity mostly lol
and then, since i was there, i might as well haha  

Katal

Antique Shapeshifter

45,800 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Brilliant Light 450

Kumacchiato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:57 am
I like that survey site better tbh.... that was way nicer of a filling out experience XD
but yeah... gaia didnt trust that link at all lolololol  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:02 am
Do you see any improvement than when you first started?
Honestly, this year I dont think I can see any improvement in my work... but my goal was to increase speed so that makes sense. XD
I had a lot of fun trying new themes I would never have picked.

How about for those of you who participated in last year's event?
Last year I saw more improvement.... and the "redraw an old drawing" theme is one I always look forward to because its the only real way I can see growth over time. Ive done the same 2 images alternating every year for like.... idk how long Ive been doing this lol XD
I also still keep in touch with the person who its art of and they always like getting the updated art.

I think next year I might try to actually set an improvment goal and work on that aspect the whole way through.
Like better hair.... or to draw teeth.... i suck at teeth rofl  

Kumacchiato

OtakuKat

Crew

Moonlight Healer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:54 pm
I really messed up with year. Decided to go with easy mode to cut down on stress. The first couple days were fine...aaaand then I kept putting it off. This is the first year since I joined that I technically didn't meet the deadline, so that stings. What aggravates me more is how non-existent I was here. It wasn't fair to the mods, or to everyone else. Not trying to bring down the mood, I just owe you all an apology.

On a lighter note, there are a few early pieces I'm still happy with (watch the anime tomato be my magnum opus LOL). There were a few challenging ideas that in prior years I would have completely dismissed. Even though I'm still annoyed at myself for rushing most of my art, it was strangely satisfying. Normally I'm a slow drawer, so forcing myself to do multiple doodles is a bigger achievement than I thought. Not having time to be a perfectionist helped too! cat_rofl

Thank you all for joining! We appreciate the feedback and will strive to make next year's event even better! cat_3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:26 am
∂εɱµ૨ε ɠα૨∂εɳ ∂εɱσɳ

sdrawkcab

Yes! Clear that iPad it always gets you atleast twice throughout. I didn't realize they don't hold a lot of space or maybe knowing you you just have that many files on it haha.

I'm glad spotlight wasn't a chore. I found it a chore xD. I hope come time next year you'll be available to help and maybe some others as well!

My biggest hurdle was check-offs and theme updates. I think the last 4 weeks I was just changing it when I woke up instead of at midnight. Check-offs weren't like.. that bad since we didn't have a lot of hard mode so that made it easier. But then not doing the non-hardmode for days make it worst when it was time to go in and check lol. I don't know why I get this weird thought that if I don't check people off AT MIDNIGHT then I shouldn't bother the rest of the day. I can definitely just check people off before then so there's even less when the time comes around.

Chii does have themes autorelease on the tumblr. I would like somethinig like that as well or maybe we should just direct everyone to the tumblr in future events? It'd probably be easier for people to bookmark that as well but I don't know. Let me know what you guys think. I don't want it to confuse anyone though since it does post preview prior so we'd have to think of something to be like.. 'Today's Theme | Tomorrow's Theme" which would show duplicates when the next day comes out but maybe that would help me atleast because honestly setting an alarm for 3am every morning and working every day was the least enjoyable thing I've done so far next to working every day xD; I wish Gaia itself. There has to be something, goddammit!

Selini

Same, Selini! I always notice improvements when I do the event which I hardly drew myself this year. But next year I've already got my own game plan that I hope will help myself. I want to do more pixel art and it's just generally easier on my eyes and if I can commit to make small sprite and assets I don't necessarily have to kill myself.. and I can do it on pixelstudio if I'm laying in bed on my phone! Thinking about getting a little cheap tablet for this reason because it's not like pixel art is a resource killer.

Kumacchiato

Nooo it doesn't. But it is a lot nicer than Survey Monkey in my opinion and I can even set up nice little graphs to view and stuff not like our numbers are big enough for that.. but it's there lol. And definitely a draw a previous piece of art from so many years ago is always good. Maybe all day 99s should be that to bring it all back haha. I will say before I drew a ton of black and white only. Now I pretty much always color so that is already a grand achievement that I thought I would never get to that 100 days of art originally brought me to. I wonder what next year will bring when I force myself into hard mode again lol.

OtakuKat

I'm glad you know you've let me down.. Super Hard mode for Kat next year! It's okay we all have off years? We also didn't do like.. a volunteer thing so I mean it's not like we even ASKED you if you wanted to mod so that was kind of rude on the part. I just dragged you and Pie along with me. Although Pie made it clear she wanted to do it again when she started helping out with the banners. So I am sorry about that! It was pretty amazing to see you crank out all that stuff. And even though you didn't ';make' the time you still did the work and now we can finish our commissions again. Haha. I don't even think my guy logs in anymore. But I'm almost done and gonna post it free of charge anyway!

㊦㊚

Quadropopilous

Crew

Rare

sdrawkcab

Crew

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:04 pm
@Pie; haha yeah, it was a fun little once-a-week task c:

@Quad;
My iPad is 128gb and I thought that was a lot of space... until I filled it after a few years. That in itself isn't an issue. The issue is that since I let it fill up, it acted up and made it difficult to clear space. Long story short, after trying multiple things, I have a process that works to get it cleaned up and... hopefully will finally get to that today ( I cleared up just enough space to get me thru most of the event... it takes so loooong > o< )

I am open to helping out with spotlight again next year. I got over my fears. XD

Yeah since we didn't have any hardmode kids saving empty posts and then slipping the art in after deadline and everyone stayed on theme, I think it's fine to not have the daily checks. XD

As for prompts... I rarely checked the guild thread for the prompts. I'm just speaking for myself here. When the prompts were in the first post of the main event thread, I checked that thread for posts. But navigating to the guild to check for posts is just too many extra steps. I'd say I used solely Tumblr like 95% of the time. And even on the days when I did check the guild thread for the themes (since I was in the guild anyway), I also still looked at Tumblr. But that's cuz I usually looked at the prompts multiple times before settling on one... or would forget what I'd decided to draw

I've never found seeing the next day's prompts confusing at all with the current system. The days are clearly numbered and dated with the due dates. We all know what day we're on. And if not, just gotta double check what event day we wrote in our posts the day before. XD;

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:56 pm
Quadropopilous
∂εɱµ૨ε ɠα૨∂εɳ ∂εɱσɳ

Same, Selini! I always notice improvements when I do the event which I hardly drew myself this year. But next year I've already got my own game plan that I hope will help myself. I want to do more pixel art and it's just generally easier on my eyes and if I can commit to make small sprite and assets I don't necessarily have to kill myself.. and I can do it on pixelstudio if I'm laying in bed on my phone! Thinking about getting a little cheap tablet for this reason because it's not like pixel art is a resource killer.

㊦㊚

That's really cool. I love your pixel art.
That reminds me, one of my goals was to do more coloring... which I don't think I did much (cuz I hate coloring). But it's still something I want to get better at. ;;

Selini

Invisible Dreamer

Quadropopilous

Crew

Rare

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:43 pm
∂εɱµ૨ε ɠα૨∂εɳ ∂εɱσɳ

sdrawkcab

We may go entire tumblr then for theme updates then for next year for ease of access!

㊦㊚

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:13 pm
Quadropopilous
∂εɱµ૨ε ɠα૨∂εɳ ∂εɱσɳ

OtakuKat

I'm glad you know you've let me down.. Super Hard mode for Kat next year! It's okay we all have off years? We also didn't do like.. a volunteer thing so I mean it's not like we even ASKED you if you wanted to mod so that was kind of rude on the part. I just dragged you and Pie along with me. Although Pie made it clear she wanted to do it again when she started helping out with the banners. So I am sorry about that! It was pretty amazing to see you crank out all that stuff. And even though you didn't ';make' the time you still did the work and now we can finish our commissions again. Haha. I don't even think my guy logs in anymore. But I'm almost done and gonna post it free of charge anyway!

㊦㊚

Super hard mode!? Should I even ask? cat_gonk
No need to apologize! I probably would have volunteered anyway lol.
Awww thanks Quad! I tried to make my rushed doodles look somewhat decent. cat_sweatdrop Definitely agree on doing commissions! I'm so close to finishing Roses'....  

OtakuKat

Crew

Moonlight Healer

Leonaenae

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:27 pm
Even though I totally missed out, Ive slowly been going through the themes and doing watercolors/ink pieces to get the juices flowing.
I was a little sad that I couldnt post them in my thread haha, I didnt realize I wouldnt be able to post.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:56 am
heart  

Kumacchiato

Kittenflavored

Tasty Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:32 pm
u w0t m8  
100 Days Event (2023)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash