Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Jesus walked on Ice? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:40 pm
Waffle Dem0n
As cool as that idea is, it's incredibly unlikely. I really dislike the fact that scientists grasp so hard at finding explanations for Jesus's wild stunts, rather than just advertising the most likely idea that he... didn't do them. Some he may've, some he may not. He just plain didn't do this one. It didn't exist, at all, in any way shape or form.

The idea behind finding logical explanations for these things is really to get rid of the counter-attack religious make called Miracles.

So many people hide behind the notion that thier savior was capable of doing miracles, because he is the "Son of God", thus he could do things that defied logic.

If you can find explanations for making what is thought to be a miracle...into something that could have occured quite easily...than it breaks down that concept and forces the religious to hide behind something else.

Eventually religious will only have faith. They cling to some of the parts of the Bible that have some reference to history, or places that actually existed. A lot of places mentioned in the bible actually didn't exist.

Anyway...it's just one of those things. They want to say he was a miracle maker and that he walked across water with bare feet(Thus worship him)...and I could say "It is not likely, but very possible that if the man existed that he walked across ice, not water."

Yes...while it is better to just to accept that those things didn't happen, it is still important to find means to explain some of the things. It gives us stronger grounds, and others stronger grounds to reject religion.

Although it is unlikely true peace will ever be attained between all of humanity, getting rid of religion would be one step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:36 am
DivideByZero14
Dande_Lion
I don't think it's terribly useful to spend time trying to figure out how Biblical "miracles" could have happened. After all, we have virtually no evidence that they did.

I don't really believe in a historical Jesus either, though. I mean, it's not like I'm positive that there was no historical Jesus. I just think it's kind of unlikely.

Why is that? I mean, someone must have led around a bunch of disciples and incited mass pandemonium.

Why must someone have led around a bunch of disciples and incited mass pandemonium? I mean, we only have the word of the gospels that there was mass pandemonium or disciples. And they have a clear investment in one side over the other. Outside of the gospels, the evidence for a historical Jesus is extremely thin.  

Dande_Lion

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:42 am
Waffle Dem0n
As cool as that idea is, it's incredibly unlikely. I really dislike the fact that scientists grasp so hard at finding explanations for Jesus's wild stunts, rather than just advertising the most likely idea that he... didn't do them. Some he may've, some he may not. He just plain didn't do this one. It didn't exist, at all, in any way shape or form.

BOOYAH! 3nodding

Sanguvixen
Eventually religious will only have faith.

I thought they'd lost everything else already... eek

Sanguvixen
Anyway...it's just one of those things. They want to say he was a miracle maker and that he walked across water with bare feet(Thus worship him)...and I could say "It is not likely, but very possible that if the man existed that he walked across ice, not water."

Come and worship me! I can make boats obsolete! Think about it: would anyone have died in the Titanic if they could have walked on water? So, worship me, bitches! xd  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:03 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Uchihas Blood

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:39 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:50 pm
Bible's fiction. No need to rationalize it.  

SmurfsonAcid

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:55 pm
SmurfsonAcid

Though it's pretty certain that some of the people were real.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:35 pm
Kagerou Osajima
SmurfsonAcid

Though it's pretty certain that some of the people were real.

People =! Actions of people  

SmurfsonAcid

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas