Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
New hitch hikers toys/collectables Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yuki-Onna Reed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:15 am
Syllie
Hummm...NOT how I invisioned the characters at all...I had more pictured Marvin as a very gloomy, very human based robot...Not a chibi. eek

I wish Disney had left this series alone...I know they're going to ******** it up.

I know! To heck with the irony of a cute depressed thing...depressed cute thing... you want one of them, you can huggles my Eeyore plushie. 4laugh Meanwhile I'll have Puddleglum all to myself... ninja *insert impure thoughts here xd *
Trillian and Arthur look pretty good to me. In fact, watching the trailer, the guy playing Arthur was kinda cute. Arthur, cute?! This thought has never before occured to me! eek
Zaphod's pretty cool, I think - his other head and arm are attached in ways I could argue with, stare , but I do like his hair and apparel. blaugh Very in character for an ex-hippie. 3nodding For once his hair is the color described in the book - in the TV series, he was a brunette; in the illustrated guide, he had black hair... actually, wait, he may have been blonde in the comics. But Zaphod's hair is not important to me (though I do miss his eyepatch and second p***s...)!
No. What is important is Ford's hair. crying I shall miss his beloved shock of ginger red, it was always there for me... His eyes I don't mind so much (most say blue, though I've seen purple in some fanart, and green would also be cool), since it would be difficult to place any real emphasis on his eyes in a movie (though they did fit David Dixon out with some uberblue contacts for the TV series... heart sooo cute... *drools*).
However, I could pretty much overlook the movie Ford's refusal to look anything like the Ford in my head were it not for the fact that their Ford is not dressed colorfully enough. I mean, he's dressed in white! Creme! Ivory! Off-white! Eggshell! Vanilla! Oooh! xp (I'm sorry, I've run out of synonyms.) I so loved the TV Ford... his striped blazer and his... diamond-y... sweatervestpulloverthingy, and his flowered red shirt beneath...(I really do love that shirt of his BTW...what kind of flowers are those?) Precisely clashing, chosen with care and love from the depths of the BBC's costuming department. Beautiful.
Hang on, how come ARTHUR always gets to have the same hair color? Even Trillian's been blonde once. stare Jerk. Absolute kneebiter. whee (I've forgotten what "kneebiter" was in the original British, excuse me...)

Ah well. Let them hire whatever actors they must, regardless of appearance, so long as they portray the characters well. Afterwards, I can still go back to the visions in my head. whee
...which include a black and silver slim, humanoid, slumpy Marvin. With red lights in his eyes. Didn't it say he had red "eyes" in one of the books?
But at least Alan Rickman's doing his voice. That's cool.

And speaking of hair - I did NOT like Puddleglum's hair in the BBC's version of The Silver Chair! xp He looked like a space hippie!
Though Rilian or whateverhisnamewas was cute. 3nodding

*ahem* Erm, anyway... sweatdrop

And don't worry, Disney didn't actually have anything to do with it. They're just doing the distribution here in the US (I have no idea what that means, only that it means they never got to touch it). In some other countries, the little Disney castle logo won't appear anywhere on the film at all - and they get their trailers with "Journey of the Sorceror" in, to boot. stare

Oh, and I now know why France is full of rage. The following is a list of the various release dates for the movie in various countries:
Australia - April 28
Great Britain - April 29
USA - April 29
Canada - May 6
Iceland - May 6
Czech Republic - June 2
Brazil - June 3
Argentina - June 9
Poland - June 10
Austria - June 16
Germany - June 16
Belgium - June 29
Netherlands - June 30
Sweden - July 27
Norway - July 29
Denmark - August 12
France - August 17
Of course, I imagine everyone from June down must be pretty angry, but France! France shall destroy us all by... by, um...
Stabbing our eyes out with miniature souvenir Eiffel Towers! (you know I just almost typed Eiffel Towels. wink ) Yes, stabbing our eyes out, so that we cannot view the movie! eek Oh, France, you poor, benighted souls! gonk

...yeah, I know, translation and junk, but let me have my fun. cool

Incidently, the Netherlands release date coincides with my birthday. mrgreen

Well, I'm done. See what happens when I'm bored? sweatdrop Or something?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:31 am
Spike_Theta
Syllie
Hummm...NOT how I invisioned the characters at all...I had more pictured Marvin as a very gloomy, very human based robot...Not a chibi. eek

I wish Disney had left this series alone...I know they're going to ******** it up.

I know! To heck with the irony of a cute depressed thing...depressed cute thing... you want one of them, you can huggles my Eeyore plushie. 4laugh Meanwhile I'll have Puddleglum all to myself... ninja *insert impure thoughts here xd *
Trillian and Arthur look pretty good to me. In fact, watching the trailer, the guy playing Arthur was kinda cute. Arthur, cute?! This thought has never before occured to me! eek
Zaphod's pretty cool, I think - his other head and arm are attached in ways I could argue with, stare , but I do like his hair and apparel. blaugh Very in character for an ex-hippie. 3nodding For once his hair is the color described in the book - in the TV series, he was a brunette; in the illustrated guide, he had black hair... actually, wait, he may have been blonde in the comics. But Zaphod's hair is not important to me (though I do miss his eyepatch and second p***s...)!

Oh, and I now know why France is full of rage. The following is a list of the various release dates for the movie in various countries:
Australia - April 28
Great Britain - April 29
USA - April 29
Canada - May 6
Iceland - May 6
Czech Republic - June 2
Brazil - June 3
Argentina - June 9
Poland - June 10
Austria - June 16
Germany - June 16
Belgium - June 29
Netherlands - June 30
Sweden - July 27
Norway - July 29
Denmark - August 12
France - August 17
Of course, I imagine everyone from June down must be pretty angry, but France! France shall destroy us all by... by, um...
Stabbing our eyes out with miniature souvenir Eiffel Towers! (you know I just almost typed Eiffel Towels. wink ) Yes, stabbing our eyes out, so that we cannot view the movie! eek Oh, France, you poor, benighted souls! gonk

...yeah, I know, translation and junk, but let me have my fun. cool

Incidently, the Netherlands release date coincides with my birthday. mrgreen

Well, I'm done. See what happens when I'm bored? sweatdrop Or something?

Second p***s? WTF?  

Ollaolas

Bilious

Sparkly Wolf

11,200 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:38 am
This is my first post in the guild. surprised

I don't know... the screaming fangirl inside of me says that I don't care HOW I disagree with their directing ideas (though the casting for Ford makes me a bit wary- if he's a good actor in the movie, I will care less) but that we're getting SOMETHING at least- and that the project hasn't fallen through. I had been following the progress through "Development hell" and had feared that it would totally fall through after DNA's untimely death. ((cries inside))

So long as they make a towel that says "Don't panic" I'm completely happy with the whole ordeal.

Just because they change stuff for the movie doesn't mean the book will now be different. The radio plays are different from the book- as is the old television series. The comics are different as well. It's just another rendition to add to the array of ways the story is told.

I'm not complaining. whee heart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:15 pm
At the risk of sounding horribly racist (which I really am not, please believe me), I'm not sure how a black person can be "nicely inconspicuous" in England. Last I heard England was full of white people. Sure, there are black people there, but in a crowd of pastey folks a black guy would stick out like a boner in a pair of Zoobas.

But I do like how Marvin looks. His eyes are triangular and red. I just passed the bit that mentioned his eyes in the book.  

Tinnumir

layzy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:26 pm
Bilious

So long as they make a towel that says "Don't panic" I'm completely happy with the whole ordeal.

same with me whee  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:38 pm
Spike_Theta
You know anyone who sells 42 shirts now?
I'm too lazy to bootleg my own T-shirts, so anywhere I can buy merchandise for something I love...

My "compainion" bought a 42 shirt on thinkgeek.com...  

Meatless Cheeze

Meatless Cheeze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:53 pm
Ollaolas
Spike_Theta
(though I do miss his eyepatch and second p***s...)!

Second p***s? WTF?

That was my thought exactly. I'm guessing it's from a form of the story I haven't experienced, but I decided not to ask questions. xD  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:56 pm
Bilious

I don't know... the screaming fangirl inside of me says that I don't care HOW I disagree with their directing ideas (though the casting for Ford makes me a bit wary- if he's a good actor in the movie, I will care less) but that we're getting SOMETHING at least- and that the project hasn't fallen through. I had been following the progress through "Development hell" and had feared that it would totally fall through after DNA's untimely death. ((cries inside))

Just because they change stuff for the movie doesn't mean the book will now be different. The radio plays are different from the book- as is the old television series. The comics are different as well. It's just another rendition to add to the array of ways the story is told.

I'm not complaining. whee heart

Here here!  

Meatless Cheeze

Yuuki Gunn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:42 pm
Syllie

To You, and ALL OF YOU!!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy changes from each version to the next.
Listen to the Radio Show
Then Listen to the Second Radio Show
Notice something? Yes, they dropped the hagunemoms! I liked those hyper evolutionary life forms, but hey Distater Areas cool.
Ok, when your done with that, read the trilogy. Notice something? Ya, THEY Dropped the Bird People!
Ok, now watch the TV show. Guess what! They dropped the leader of the universe!
Now, look at the towel. Guess what! They dropped all of the book except the entrie on towels!!
See? The Guide Changes, in the TV series Ford (Dixon) had Brown hair and blinked alot, in the book Ford (you mind) never blinked!
If you complain about how 'Disney doesn't under stand the guide, they're gonna mess it up, big time', your wrong YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE GUIDE! over all I just suggest you reffer to the cover of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and (in large friendly letters):
Don't Panic  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:10 pm
Yuuki Gunn
Syllie

To You, and ALL OF YOU!!

Listen to the Radio Show
Notice something? Yes, they dropped the hagunemoms! I liked those hyper evolutionary life forms, but hey Distater Areas cool.
Ok, when your done with that, read the trilogy. Notice something? Ya, THEY Dropped the Bird People!
Now, look at the towel. Guess what! They dropped all of the book except the entrie on towels!!
See? The Guide Changes, in the TV series Ford (Dixon) had Brown hair and blinked alot, in the book Ford (you mind) never blinked!
If you complain about how 'Disney doesn't under stand the guide, they're gonna mess it up, big time', your wrong YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE GUIDE! over all I just suggest you reffer to the cover of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and (in large friendly letters):
Don't Panic

Lovley rant. I've never seen the series or heard it for that matter. (I'm in the states.) but He's got a point. loosen up!  

The Incorrigible Thalimon

Familiar Dabbler

13,725 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

Yuuki Gunn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:30 pm
Thalimon Dailzar
Yuuki Gunn
Syllie

To You, and ALL OF YOU!!

Listen to the Radio Show
Don't Panic

Lovley rant. I've never seen the series or heard it for that matter. (I'm in the states.) but He's got a point. loosen up!

Yes, Yes it is quiet lovely.
For the record, I'm in the states also.
But I'm glad you saw my point.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:03 pm
Ollaolas
Second p***s? WTF?

xd From the TV series. Isweartogod. The guy playing Zaphod went to the costume designer and was like, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Zaphod had two penises?" So the costume designer put some plastic tubing in to, um, simulate the appearance of, for lack of a better term, two penises. whee One down each leg. sweatdrop Originally they were nine inches long, but the costume chick got worried and cut them down to seven. You can't actually see them at any point in the series (because of the long jacket he's wearing), but if you've heard the story, you know they're there.

Now aren't you just so glad you know that? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Tinnumir
{snip}...like a boner in a pair of Zoobas.

But I do like how Marvin looks. His eyes are triangular and red. I just passed the bit that mentioned his eyes in the book.

His eyes are triangular in the movie as well, but... call me crazy, but aren't they like a bluish color in the film? I forget... sweatdrop Doesn't matter.
...and, um, what's a Zooba? confused
...hang on, is that like a Speedo or something? whee W00t, I've comprehendeda simile! blaugh

And for the last time people, it doesn't MATTER if Disney "gets the Guide" or not (they probably wouldn't User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.)! They had nothing to do with the movie, they're just distributing it in the US (whatever that means).

eek Wow, where'd all these new members come from? Well, welcome all, glad to see a discussion has been provoked... *serves tea all around ^^*  

Yuki-Onna Reed

Bilious

Sparkly Wolf

11,200 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:41 pm
Tinnumir
At the risk of sounding horribly racist (which I really am not, please believe me), I'm not sure how a black person can be "nicely inconspicuous" in England. Last I heard England was full of white people. Sure, there are black people there, but in a crowd of pastey folks a black guy would stick out like a boner in a pair of Zoobas.

Since when was Ford actually "Nicely inconspicuous"? xd I thought that was the whole joke.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:25 am
Bilious
Tinnumir

Since when was Ford actually "Nicely inconspicuous"? xd I thought that was the whole joke.

Well, Ford is an ex-Pralite monk, so he probably used some sort of Je- um, ex-Pralite monk mind trick to make people think he was nicely inconspicuous ninja
Big Scary Guy: Hey, you stole my drink!
Ford: This is not the drink you are looking for.
Big Scary Guy: Oh. Okay. *goes and beats up someone else*
xd  

Yuki-Onna Reed

Bilious

Sparkly Wolf

11,200 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:02 am
Spike_Theta
Bilious
Tinnumir

Well, Ford is an ex-Pralite monk, so he probably used some sort of Je- um, ex-Pralite monk mind trick to make people think he was nicely inconspicuous ninja
Big Scary Guy: Hey, you stole my drink!
Ford: This is not the drink you are looking for.
Big Scary Guy: Oh. Okay. *goes and beats up someone else*
xd

Lol I don't know... I always just pictured him as only being inconspicuous because he decided he was, not because he actually was. XD and people just sort of ignored his exentricities on account of not wanting to get involved. XD

As for the fact that he's black- I've never been to England, but it's to my understanding that there's plenty of raciel differences there- perhaps much less so than the melting pot known as America, but enough that it doesn't matter.

It's not that a "Black person is out of place in Britian" that is a concern with me... it's that he seems nothing like the Ford we all know and love in the book.

My judgment will pass when I see his performance. If he does a good job and brings forth the spirit of Ford nicely, despite general changes here and there, I'm happy. 3nodding

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games