Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
&quot;Chinks&quot; Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stereotype true for you?
Yes
38%
 38%  [ 17 ]
NO!!
61%
 61%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 44

lazyprocrastinator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:43 pm
cold_blooded_chick
never heard of the term "chinks", sounds kinda cute though, unless its meant to be offensive...

in australia we have FOB's, i thikn its fresh off the boats, they're identified as always having the newest electronic gadgets, like mp3s and cmaeras and phones and stuff... oh and i think they suck at english or something...

but more than half of the students in our school are asian, so there's no dissing of the asian people - you practically just hear cantonese in class instead of english.

I've heard both, though at my school asians call other asians fobs sweatdrop
There arent much conflict about these things though because we keep to ourselves. There's no incentive to insult other people of the same race for no reason.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:39 am
People at our school respect the chinese kids because they think they're smart. Well...except for my friend and I...since we're not typical chinese kids. Yeah, we're smart enough to keep our own in the top 10% but I'm guessing they think my name's funny....but yeah, lot of kids think that the chinese are always geniuses.

Here's my thought:
I'm been researching and observing the race issues and it seems that mental ability isn't cause by genetics alone but also environment. A child from China was adopted by American parents, she turned out like any average kid. An American child adopted by a Chinese couple ranked top 5 in a school. It's all about surrounding influences, although genetics is a part too.  

Nyanfood

Sparkly Lunatic

7,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100

Deivon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:14 pm
Riyoku Sakimori
People at our school respect the chinese kids because they think they're smart. Well...except for my friend and I...since we're not typical chinese kids. Yeah, we're smart enough to keep our own in the top 10% but I'm guessing they think my name's funny....but yeah, lot of kids think that the chinese are always geniuses.

Here's my thought:
I'm been researching and observing the race issues and it seems that mental ability isn't cause by genetics alone but also environment. A child from China was adopted by American parents, she turned out like any average kid. An American child adopted by a Chinese couple ranked top 5 in a school. It's all about surrounding influences, although genetics is a part too.

which is exactly my point (I study psych and they cover some topics like nurture-vs-nature).  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:44 pm
Soichiro A.
yalie5
tamcharles
Deivon
The "c***k" title makes me feel really bad. sad

I've been in a few fights when I was younger over that word. My advice, if at first, violence doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough.

I don't think violence would solve anything. no matter how much you use. if you ignore them enough they'll go away. all violence would do is earn you more lectures from parents.

I'm with Charles on this one with some knowledge to back it up too ^^ I see it as by us acting this way we are showing we are not what you stereotype us to be. In fact we aren't all smart and some of us will even use violence to solve our problems. Which would result in showing them the stereotype does not exsist!

what about the stereotype that chinese people are all masters of martial arts? wouldn't they tease you even more (most likely behind your back cause they're afraid of you now.) so you hurt a few guys. but what about the trouble you'd get into and not to mention how mad your parents would be. If you don't care how mad they get then think of what they would do to you when they do get mad. eek  

yalie5

.+.strawberry.icee.+.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:31 pm
i always refer to my friends or myself as c***k b/c im too lazy to write out chinese....they've had no prob w/ it so it's all good 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:29 pm
Deivon
I used to live in Toronto. Back there, there were a lot of Chinese people and I always felt welcome and felt like I fit into the majority, race-wise.

Now, I live in America. Everybody here is either black or white (with long noses), with the occasionally Chaldean. There are very few Asian people here, never mind Chinese.

My Korean friend affectionally calls us "Chinks" and I know he's just kidding, but I wonder what the black and white people at our school really think of us. I know that there is a subconscious stereotype of the Chinese being really smart and being geeks with no lives. I am smart, but I have been greeted by the negative side of that stereotype before and it's not pleasant. Also, I know Chinese people at our school who aren't smart but are regarded as smart because they are Chinese.

What do you think?
Well, I agreed with the things you said. I am actually white and although I don't think I have a long nose, *looks at self in mirror* some of us do heh. I actually have quite a few chinese friends ( I live in Usa) and I have heard the word tossed around before and have gotten into fights because of it being used agenst my friends.Though my Shao-lin can usually get me out of it I would have preferd not to fight though I did come out on top. So I guess to answer your question there are some Chinese in here and I would not and havn't hesitated to step in and help my friends out (be them chinese or other wise) So don't worry about it we are not all that bad.  

WolvesBane

the_chibster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:06 am
Yeh I have heard people say it before. People that use racial slurs are got ignorant in my opinion. A lot of guys (only guys) where I am from use slurs about people and the fact is that they will it about anyone from the orient or of oriental descent.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:24 pm
Personally, I don't have a major problem with the term "c***k" unless it's being used as something offensive. Heck, most Chinese people I know even refer themselves at that. My school is at least 40% Asian, so we usually don't have much racial issues about Asians. There is still a little stereotype though, like the fact about being smart (sort of true since the majority at our school are) and all that... :S  

xoCrow

KawaiiMistress17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:34 am
The term c***k came from the period of the california gold rush. c***k refers to the metal when it hit the stone, hence it made a "c***k" sound. Ever wonder why there were so many chinese people in California? XD

As for the term c***k, i don't get offended when a fellow "c***k" refers to me by that name, we do it as a joke anyways.

In a school where 3% of the population is asian, we huddle together in our little group, of course i have other friends but somehow it just feels more at "home" with my fellow yellow-skinned buds.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:23 am
Deivon
I used to live in Toronto. Back there, there were a lot of Chinese people and I always felt welcome and felt like I fit into the majority, race-wise.

Now, I live in America. Everybody here is either black or white (with long noses), with the occasionally Chaldean. There are very few Asian people here, never mind Chinese.

My Korean friend affectionally calls us "Chinks" and I know he's just kidding, but I wonder what the black and white people at our school really think of us. I know that there is a subconscious stereotype of the Chinese being really smart and being geeks with no lives. I am smart, but I have been greeted by the negative side of that stereotype before and it's not pleasant. Also, I know Chinese people at our school who aren't smart but are regarded as smart because they are Chinese.

What do you think?

Depends where you live. I'm in America, i live in NYC and in chinatown. Us "chinks" are a majority here. Blacks & whites are scared of us. Actually its the azns thats the more gangsta ones here. Blacks and Whites show us the same resepect that they show eachother. Sterotypes of chinese people are way different. Its more of using chopsticks, and wear northface jackets. I'm telling you, it really depends where you live.  

AznAlex

shinelover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:01 am
wiim
To be used in normal life and as a stereotypical name at first, Chinese were called "Chinaman" or "Chinawoman".

I do not know the etymology of "c***k" but I doubt it started out as something good. I would guess that it started out as a racist remark somewhere in the early 1900s....

i dun like that chinaman stuff i used to get teased over it alot! These kids used to go Ching Chong Chinaman..i dun mind the word chinks though it depends how u think...

I agree with ppl...why does everyone just think oh my god she's chinese she has to be a geek! i wasn't actually given a chance when i changed schools last yr...all the europeans just picked on me..i mean the "popular ones" others are realli nice...the krns do that too! i dun know why they just hate me coz i can speak chinese..its not fair i only wanted to be their friend,...so mean...at least the japanese are nice in my grade  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:03 am
the martial arts thing is another...they diss us and then they wanna learn wat we can do...but they dun wanna practise...they just think u get good at it instantly i was learning Wing Chung(Kung Fu) since i was 6 it was such hard work but the guys at school will never believe me....so sad  

shinelover

yalie5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:22 pm
shinelover
the martial arts thing is another...they diss us and then they wanna learn wat we can do...but they dun wanna practise...they just think u get good at it instantly i was learning Wing Chung(Kung Fu) since i was 6 it was such hard work but the guys at school will never believe me....so sad

of course it's hard work... *sigh* really pisses me off when they think you'll help them after they diss you so i just look at them and walk off. i've long since stopped caring and decided to be a b***h again. and as for kung fu i'm to lazy to learn lol. i know it's hard work... well at least you can feel the burn! lol piano is getting boring... i keep forgetting to practice lol... which reminds me... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:33 pm
woah, everyone got dissed as Chinese?!?!?!

I didn't even know the term "diss" was still used!!!

Anyway, no one bullied me because of my nationality, well not anyone i know. There are times when me and my friends are walking down the street and cars zoom by with these punks yelling out distinct insults at us for being asian, it's so sad.

And there was once when we were in the city, and this car came by, it had a few kids, and the kids probably thought we were Japanese tourists or something - they just started yelling out "konichiwa" really loud, trying to get a response, and my friend's dad actually said hello and waved to them, smiling!!! I felt like pelting my coke can into the kids' faces and just tell tell them to f*ck off...  

cold_blooded_chick

shinelover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:35 pm
yalie5
shinelover

of course it's hard work... *sigh* really pisses me off when they think you'll help them after they diss you so i just look at them and walk off. i've long since stopped caring and decided to be a b***h again. and as for kung fu i'm to lazy to learn lol. i know it's hard work... well at least you can feel the burn! lol piano is getting boring... i keep forgetting to practice lol... which reminds me... sweatdrop

Yeh in know.....my dad made all my siblings learn kung fu for some reason....stopped doing it..he also made me learn music...PIANO is the biggest one...i dun like the exams and practising those boring songs......but its fun..sometimes  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff