Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The feeling of being an Atheist. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uchihas Blood

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:38 pm
P u l p y
A few years ago I decided to be an Atheist, I'm not sure when since I have horrible memory. But I believe it was on 9/11 that I had lost my 'faith in God' (if there is such a thing).

I was in 4th grade when I decided I would be an Atheist and I have felt better without having a 'god' in my life. 3nodding

How 'bout you?

PS - Hi, Guild. :]

I've just been an atheist forever. It just seemed the most logical. Also, I won't be ordered around by a century-old book that has been translated a lot, giving me no reason to believe that it hasn't been edited.  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:54 am
DivideByZero14
Atheism is the ultimate cure! It encourages:
  • being proactive,
  • being intelligent,
  • questioning your world,
  • peacemaking skills (in arguments with theists),
  • doing what you can in this life,
  • being practical,
  • social acceptance,
  • AND tasteful use of emoticons.
Quite a deal, huh? As the proud owner of the Doctor's Parabolic Reflector, I prescribe atheism for all of humanity! (A vaccine will be forthcoming...)

Atheist vaccine. That would be fantastic. And it would also be a huge step towards world peace, as so many wars are fought over religion.

Someone should quote that then print-screen it. Could make a banner or something for teh guild mrgreen

Muaethia

Syrenka

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:51 pm
Personally, I feel proud that I'm able to use logic to judge what's going on around me, rather than just going with what's there and what you're born into. I feel the need to let the world know that I'm an atheist whenever possible, as it just may lead to one of those fun contraversial religious discussions we all love so much.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:30 pm
I became an aithiest because I just couldn't believe in the fairytale of religion.  

aravier

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:48 am
Muaethia
DivideByZero14
  • being proactive,
  • being intelligent,
  • being practical,
  • social acceptance,
Quite a deal, huh? As the proud owner of the Doctor's Parabolic Reflector, I prescribe atheism for all of humanity! (A vaccine will be forthcoming...)

Atheist vaccine. That would be fantastic. And it would also be a huge step towards world peace, as so many wars are fought over religion.

Someone should quote that then print-screen it. Could make a banner or something for teh guild mrgreen

Asketh and you shall recieveth! Sometimes. Anyway, it's not quite your idea, but it's based on this.

User Image

I realize it's too small, and that annoying nagtext is in the corner. But, before I remake it, is there anything I should change?  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:05 pm
Hmmm... I like it mrgreen

Made me laugh. Apart from the size, obviously, maybe something like the pre-vaccinated n00b saying 'GOD PWNZ U LOLOL!!!!11111' to make it more clear about what's happening? Without being insulting, of course 3nodding

I don't know if it's just that my brain cells are a bit dead tonight, but I had to watch it a few times (and the message wasn't really obvious except for the big 'Gaian Atheists United' bit of text).

Muaethia

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:31 pm
Muaethia

Made me laugh. Apart from the size, obviously, maybe something like the pre-vaccinated n00b saying 'GOD PWNZ U LOLOL!!!!11111' to make it more clear about what's happening? Without being insulting, of course 3nodding

I don't know if it's just that my brain cells are a bit dead tonight, but I had to watch it a few times (and the message wasn't really obvious except for the big 'Gaian Atheists United' bit of text).

Oooh, I like that. "GOD PWNZ"--what a loser. As for the size, I did the whole thing in my graphics app while zoomed in like 300%, so I didn't realize the size until I went to animate it.

(P.S.: The guy in the suit is saying, "I say! So that's what periods are for!")  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:01 am
DivideByZero14
Muaethia

Oooh, I like that. "GOD PWNZ"--what a loser. As for the size, I did the whole thing in my graphics app while zoomed in like 300%, so I didn't realize the size until I went to animate it.

(P.S.: The guy in the suit is saying, "I say! So that's what periods are for!")

*hopes that wasn't sarcastic and you wern't calling me a loser*

Yeah, I read that at the end. Amused me greatly mrgreen

It shall go in my sig when done 3nodding

Yay! Thanks, by teh way. Long live the Atheist vaccine.

Muaethia

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:46 am
DivideByZero14
Muaethia
DivideByZero14
  • being proactive,
  • being intelligent,
  • being practical,
  • social acceptance,

Asketh and you shall recieveth! Sometimes. Anyway, it's not quite your idea, but it's based on this.

User Image

I realize it's too small, and that annoying nagtext is in the corner. But, before I remake it, is there anything I should change?

I love it. Keep it small!

Cut the bytes down though.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:36 pm
The thing (well there's more than one, but I'll keep this short) I don't understand about theists is their hypocrisy. We are told as young kids in school/from parents/childhood TV shows, etc. to not follow the crowd and to stick to our opinions and to use our brains and all that, am I not right? But when it comes to religion, it apparently is not okay to think for ourselves, form our own opinions, and use our brains...because otherwise we'd all be atheists! So we must follow the crowd (or what our parents or religious leaders tell us to believe) and think what they think in that aspect, but when it comes to peer pressure (or any other example you can think), we're told we should do otherwise and think for ourselves!?!? Does anyone else see the hypocrisy here, or am I the only one? Beliefs are supposed to be individual thoughts...that's why they're called beliefs, and they should vary from person to person based on his or her own personal decisions. Alright, I'll stop typing before I get too heated... mad

silverbaby107

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:50 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:22 am
Muaethia
DivideByZero14
P u l p y
I learned about 'God' for about 8 years, I think I know what I'm talking about if I were to insult Christianity.

I think it's hilarious how atheists know so much more about religion, generally, than the theists.

It's true. It's probably because intelligent people are likely to be athiests, think outside the box, and stupid people are more likely not to think for themselves and follow a religion.

Not that I'm saying everyone religious is stupid, but that's the type of pattern I've seen.

Your logic is faulty: While stupid people MIGHT be more likely to follow a religion that doesnt mean religions attract ONLY stupid people.

There are many stupid atheists too

Copper Forrest

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:54 am
I also became an atheist in 4th grade (two years ago). 9/11 didn't quite push me over the edge, but it did make me start asking questions to my self. Then, when my grandfather died in his early 60's after I had been praying for hours, I realized it was all fake.  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:32 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Muaethia

Copper Forrest

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:52 pm
Dathu
Well, when I first came to this realization I felt alone. Very alone, and a little depressed. I like losing immortality. After a while I coped, and I started to feel more mature. I felt like I had taken "full" responsibility for myself: no influence, no help, no evil. All that happens is just as it does, and if I want things to change, I am the one who has to do something. Now, I just feel like a minority: different from everyone else, but only in this area. I also feel like I'm the only one who gets an obvious joke, however, if I try to explain this joke to people, I usually get a very negative reaction. Meh, thus is life.

It was good to read your comment Dathu. I had a similar transition, tho initially I felt more like I was jumping off a cliff in the dark - no support, no real understanding of what was out there, and an uneasy feeling of looming death. It took me quite awhile to come to grips w all that, but now, I feel I've arrived on the other side, safely, a little wiser, a lot more mature, and truly glad to be here!  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff