Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Okay, so you don't believe in God... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:26 am
gigacannon
'Antitheists' are most likely trying to help theists to dispel false notions. It's compassionate.

See? I'm so selfless. whee  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:37 am
addseale2
I'm peronally known to dissociate with antitheists, although I am an atheist myself. I believe there's as much of a barrier between atheist and antitheist as there is between "nice" Christian and buble thumper.

But wouldn't thumping a bubble pop it?

Best typo in a long time. I love it.

gigagcannon
'Antitheists' are most likely trying to help theists to dispel false notions. It's compassionate.

You also have to take into consideration the flipside. "Buble thumpers", as addseale put so eloquently (just kidding, seale, don't hurt me) truly believe that atheists are headed to hell, and try to convert us in order to prevent that from happening. They're pretty compassionate, until they start beating on our beliefs.

So it's compassion until it becomes assault.

I'm... an atheist. I don't try to define it much. Go me?  

Southwest

Redem

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:34 am
Southwest
gigagcannon

You also have to take into consideration the flipside. "Buble thumpers", as addseale put so eloquently (just kidding, seale, don't hurt me) truly believe that atheists are headed to hell, and try to convert us in order to prevent that from happening. They're pretty compassionate, until they start beating on our beliefs.

Compassion? They're told to do it. That doing it makes them special, and earns them brownie points with their phantom in the sky. Helps ensure they stay out of hell, and get into heaven.

It's arrogance and desperation, not compassion.  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:30 am
redem
Southwest
gigagcannon

Compassion? They're told to do it. That doing it makes them special, and earns them brownie points with their phantom in the sky. Helps ensure they stay out of hell, and get into heaven.

Here is something relevent to tag to that. Compassion? How is this for Compassion:

Back in the days of Columbus when he sailed the seas, when people came to new lands they would attempt to convert those people to their religion. It was told to them that if they attempted at converting a person and saving thier otherwise "Damned soul" they would get sort of a "free ticket" to heaven.

That is what drived many back then to try to convert entire groups of people. The drive for wanting to convert hasn't changed much since then and now.

Sanguvixen

Redem

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:09 pm
Sanguvixen
redem
Southwest
gigagcannon

Here is something relevent to tag to that. Compassion? How is this for Compassion:

Back in the days of Columbus when he sailed the seas, when people came to new lands they would attempt to convert those people to their religion. It was told to them that if they attempted at converting a person and saving thier otherwise "Damned soul" they would get sort of a "free ticket" to heaven.

That is what drived many back then to try to convert entire groups of people. The drive for wanting to convert hasn't changed much since then and now.

Similar to the lies told to entice people to join the crusades. Give a man hope, and the freedom to choopse to fight, and you have a man who will fight to the bitter end.

((Not trying to be sexist here, that's the times that happened in.))  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:35 pm
Given my Zenful mind-set, I suppose I'm sort of a pantheistic atheist. I believe the universe is all part of one process... that is causality... but I don't think it's a God. It's not controlling or really conscious... existence is just something that's happening and will be happening for a very long time, indeed.

Actually, it's this interconnectedness that has always given me my morality despite a lasting doubt in God, heaven/hell, and all that. In my eyes, there's no such thing as good and evil... though it's rather convenient for speech.
I know, when I see another living being... or even non-living, that I'm just seeing more of myself. Or rather... more of what I belong to.

The temptation there is to go nihilistic, but I find this way of seeing just makes me feel nostalgic. Because without judgement, every moment of existence is perfect, and it will only happen once.
And it makes one wish to be compassionate as well... not because I want to save someone's "soul"... but because I just think they have the right to know that everything's okay and they can sleep in as long as they like.  

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:25 am
redem
Sanguvixen
redem
Southwest
gigagcannon

Similar to the lies told to entice people to join the crusades. Give a man hope, and the freedom to choopse to fight, and you have a man who will fight to the bitter end.

((Not trying to be sexist here, that's the times that happened in.))

I know, and understand.

You know there are still a few religious X-tremists here and there intent on returning the time where treating females like property was considered ok.

Thankfully I've never met those kind in person yet.

What about anyone else. Ever met a thiest who thinks women should just cook, clean, create babies and that is it?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:15 am
Kagerou Osajima

In my eyes, there's no such thing as good and evil... though it's rather convenient for speech.

3nodding

I read/heard somewhere (probably in a fictional novel, but anyway...) that "There is no good and evil, only hate".

I thought that was worth thinking about.

Also in that book I was telling you about (I'm becoming more and more convinced you'd really love it now xd ) it says something along the lines of good and evil being things that people do and say, not what they are. No-one is purely 'evil'.

Meh, I just don't know neutral

Muaethia

Bowmore

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:35 pm
Now, this isn't a title I gave myself, but one I was given when I explained my philosophies to a friend: Cautious Optimist.

There are a lot of things I WANT to believe in, but having been raised an atheist, I generally don't believe in things until I am presented with evidence of their existence and validity.

Take UFOs, for example. I think it's a cool idea. I've seen a lot of TV shows about them. Because of how I was raised, however, I take most of what I see and read with a healthy dose of skepticism. I'll believe in UFOs when I see one for myself, but for now, I'll just treat it as a fun idea.  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:56 pm
I don't think people should classify themselves at all. I simply am: I
percieve things as I percieve them and that is all the 'belief' that I need.  

xorflex

Rev Shrubbery

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:34 am
I've been to too many Bar Mitzvahs--and it doesn't help that I'm genetically Jewish.

People like to call me neo-Freud: I'm a jewish Athiest. I follow the basic morality of judaism (e.g. visit the sick, console the bereaved, don't be selfish, value education, concentrate mostly on those things that you will remember at your hour of death, et cetera.) Plus, I have the classical Israeli features associated with the racial part of being Jewish.

I like the fact that Jews don't evangelize, and that you don't have to believe in god to be jewish. Axiom: reward for good deeds comes from the same place the deeds did. Inside.  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:16 pm
I can describe me in one word: Me.

I live to help others, always wanting them to be happy before I worry about if I am happy or not. I desire to see others happy and joyful, and will give my own happiness to see it.

I also enjoy living for the here and now. I am not going to put my entire life into something and then come to find it is all wasted on nothing. I am going to believe what I want to believe and no one can tell me different. I am not one to devote my whole life to something; get my hopes up and see I was wrong.

I am a person who loves that one guy in my life more than life itself. I would do anything for him. I pour my heart and soul into making sure that he is okay and that his needs are met before my own.

I am partly agnostic; thinking that there may be a higher being out there that was involved in our making. But, I don't care. I see it as, we are here. Why do we have to know how?

I am not a very self-confident person, I am someone to look at myself and see something that I can change and will hide it the best I can until I get around to changing it. Somethings I can't change, and they plague me when I see others who have what I want.

I am a great friend. I will be there for you when you need me, as long as you are there for me when I need you. I am one to listen to your problems, and not one who will tell you what to so and tell you something that you have heart a thousand times before. I am someone who will do my best to make sure that you are okay, no matter how much I have to annoy you about it.

I am someone whom the spirits have something against, I believe. I have been hunted, nearly killed, by something that I cannot see. I have been followed, and still am when the lights are out. I am just lucky that some like me and are there for me. If you don't believe in this, I don't care, I do.

I am someone who is not going to change FOR you. I will change because I want to, not because you want me to. I actually will change to be the opposite of what you want, or do some things that you hate to annoy you for a little while.

I am me, that's all there is to it.

Yami_Ichi

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:47 pm
Muaethia
3nodding

I read/heard somewhere (probably in a fictional novel, but anyway...) that "There is no good and evil, only hate".

I thought that was worth thinking about.

My guess is that the ability to judge... to decide what's "good" and "evil", is really what we mean by human nature. Because we are so thoroughly aware of our existence (though could be better), we are able to assign values to things out of a kind of bias as a species. Just we forgot somewhere along the line.. that the values are meaningless. Cultures prove this all the time when they have morals that conflict with our own. Hence hate, I guess.

And yes.. I have the books on my list. Danke. wink  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:52 am
Yami_Ichi
I can describe me in one word: Me.

I live to help others, always wanting them to be happy before I worry about if I am happy or not. I desire to see others happy and joyful, and will give my own happiness to see it.

I also enjoy living for the here and now. I am not going to put my entire life into something and then come to find it is all wasted on nothing. I am going to believe what I want to believe and no one can tell me different. I am not one to devote my whole life to something; get my hopes up and see I was wrong.

Secular humanism? That sounds kind of like what you're saying.  

Muaethia

(R(E)X)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:58 pm
I'm just a straight up athists. I don't belive in god, thats that.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff