Romantic Prophet

15,075 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:52 pm
Sui Kune
ZeekSlider
Sui, I think the whole idea of not spanking kids today is just a generational rebelian against the preivous generation that spanked them.

I was spanked, and it worked for the most part. Not afraid to admit that.

However, not all hope is lost in modern child dislipin. Remember the mother that sold all her kids toys on eBay because they didn't behave?

*nodnod* Right, and some people think spanking is "cruel". Spanking is hardly cruel; beating a kid into a pulp is cruel. Cruelty is purposely torturing and injuring someone. People shouldn't be so overprotective of their kids, I think; they shouldn't rely on books and loads of other crap to tell them what to do. I mean, reading about it is one thing, but totally relying on it is another. Nothing's better than experience and knowledge from older adults, your parents, for instance. I'd say use books for some reference, and to get an idea of how to treat some illnesses and such, but NOT as something to be completely dependant on. You're the parent, not the book, and the word of "experts" isn't exactly the word of gods. Every kid is different, so treat that accordingly, no "expert"'s way is a streamlined way to raise every kid. If today's generation of parents listen to their previous generations, they could learn a lot. Experience tells a lot more than "expert" theory and books ever can.

Sheesh, how do I know all this? sweatdrop

Probably because you've been listening to me, Shiro, Settou, Lugia and 'mom yack on about that sort of thing for ages.... ;p  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:02 am
*jumps into discussion* I was spanked as kid. I don't feel I was abused in any way. It was a suitable punishment, and certainly halped me to think twice about anything that would get me in trouble.
I think part of the problem now is that parents assume that their kids will listen. Now, it works on some kids, I'll admit, but if a child has no respect for their parents' authority, what motivation do they have to listen? When children are especially young, words have little meaning. They don't register, and the kid won't remember them the next time they're about to do something they shouldn't.
I work in a toy store, and trust me, I see endless streams of brats who tear around the store, blatently igonoring their parents' warnings. But the parents don't do anything about it; they just stand there saying 'no'. stressed  

jedi_master_tenku

Atma311

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:13 am
There's no sure-fire method of making a child behave. Every child is different. Some will get spanked and listen, some will get spanked and still act up, some will just be told "no" and not act up anymore, some won't. If there was a way to control children and make then behave, then the world would be a lot quieter... but then...kinda boring too.

Myself, I was a quiet kid that only got spanked a couple of times (once when I flipped the neighbor off without knowing what it meant... or maybe I did... and other times for random not listening to my parents. I got slapped a couple of times, but that's just how things get with irritable parents, I guess. I will definitely be a good parent, though ( I hope) 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:50 am
Me, I got spanked numerous times as a young tyke...and I still get in trouble for silly things. I'm constantly grounded....
I suppose I can be a bit rebellious at times. I'm not sure if this is a result of the spanking....
sweatdrop  

piinkerton

Zeek Slider

Hopeless Man-Lover

28,040 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:20 pm
The worst punishment I had to do was when I didn't save the wrapper of my gum when I was little. I spat it out in my hand and then tried to give it to my mom to throw it away, who then promptly put my hand against the wood siding of the house and proceeded to practically sand the gum off my hand because I didn't listen to her to save the wrapper.

And this was while it was raining too.

I come from a weird family, and I'm not afraid to admit that. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:25 pm
ZeekSlider
The worst punishment I had to do was when I didn't save the wrapper of my gum when I was little. I spat it out in my hand and then tried to give it to my mom to throw it away, who then promptly put my hand against the wood siding of the house and proceeded to practically sand the gum off my hand because I didn't listen to her to save the wrapper.

Zeek... don't challenge me for the title of weirdest family. I win every single time.

Wait... why am I proud of that? gonk  

Atma311

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

piinkerton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:05 pm
Atma311
ZeekSlider

Zeek... don't challenge me for the title of weirdest family. I win every single time.

Wait... why am I proud of that? gonk

That's....that's kinda sad.... stare  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:37 am
I think the problem is people are not raising their kids to be moral these days. When I was little, nobody spanked me, I never needed to get punished in that way. Why? Cause my parents and nanny and preschool teachers all read or told stories to me that taught morals. You want a kid to be smart and kind, but clever? Read them the tortise and the hare. You want a kid to behave? Read them the Hansel and Grettle. Good wholesome stories with morals really do work. Kids who know stories and morals properly before kindergarden allways turn out better than those who don't.

You don't need negative reinforcement in order to teach kids to be good. It is the easy way out, and tends to cause some kids to become dishonest learning that what they can get away with is okay. Really, it's only the stupid kids who need to be spanked, the others just need better mental stimulation and exposure to stories that teach morals. Things like how stealing is bad, people like nice people and be nice in return, etc.

Kids like that who throw temper tantrums screams of improper care. A kid should not be attached enough to jelly beans to react like that. Plus, the teacher should have easily been able to restrain a small child like that and call their parents when they began to misbehave, maybe when they started throwing stuff or writing on the walls or whatever they did first. It's not hard to grab a child's arms and hold them still without hurting them. With Aikido, I could probably pin the child quite easily and painlessly and have held them and said comforting words while I sent someone to get another teacher to contact their parents. Hell, I'd rather let the child keep the jelly beans and give them a lecture afterwards than let them go on a rampage like that. I don't think it was wrong to call the police, but I think the school's teacher should have been able to deal with such a thing without help. It's not hard to just pick a kid that size up in your arms and hold them and tell them to stop, even a struggling kid, and by holding them it's not hard to get them to calm down, at least usually.

I think the teacher probably didn't pay enough attention to that kid to know how to deal with them and wasn't really qualified to watch that number of kids. I am allways horrified at the size of many kindergarden classes I have seen. Really, most kids that age should be in groups no larger than 10 kids per teacher, but often it can be something more like 20 or 30.  

Toko Ojin

4,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Chit0se Hit0t0se

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:27 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:40 am
To live is a Sin. Everyone has their weakness and strength. No one is perfect. Human are fallible. To accept other weakness and stupidity is the least you could do. There is no use listing every single things the others did in your dislike, for the list would be never ending.

Take everything in strife. Change yourself to be better. Forgive and forget. Attain nirvana. xd  

SilvernKnight

3,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
Pokémon Defenders

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items