The What If Machine Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falathrim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:08 pm
Nandelle
Candide by Voltaire. Brilliant man. Unfortunately, you should not have used Voltaire no matter how much Candide relates to Beren and Luthien and Leibniz.

Voltaire fought for the ideas of the Enlightenment. He fought for freedom of speech. You are using Voltaire against Nandelle when it can be used right back against you because you are trying to shut her up and not let her express her opinions. Basically, you are showing that this man was jailed in the Bastille for nothing because you are going against what he fought for. The freedom of Speech. Yes, so you only were refering to Candide. But when you refer to Candide you refer to Voltaire m'dear. If I am nto mistaken, you have just done what you shut Nandelle up for, you used philosophy, or at least the words of a philosophe.

*sigh*

My mentioning of Candide had nothing to do with Beren and Luthein or the off-topicness. It was merely in response to Nandelle's mentioning of "everything is for the best."

Furthermore, as can be seen by my above post, I'm not shutting anyone up. If she wants to talk about it, that's fine; so long as she makes her own thread.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try acting like this place is moderated. But, oh well, that's all I'll say on this matter.

Had Feanor not created the Silmarils...

...you know, as much as I'd like to make this post even somewhat on-topic, I'm interested in seeing how other people would respond to that.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:08 pm
Glorfirith Annun
Nandelle, why do you start an arguement every where you go? Can't we just have normal conversation for once? Just once?

Chewy, you can choose her side if you want but when the thread creator says something is offtopic you should respect that.

That being said...

This is a pretty good topic idea. I am amused.

What if Feanor never made the silmarils?

I'm sorry Glorfy but it's pissing me off that everytime she says soemthing he bites her head off. It's unfair.

Anyways, If Feanor never made the Silmarils then Melkor would have never gotten them which means Ungoliant would have never tried to devour them. Damn my trying to be on topic, sorry I seriously can't remember what happened in the beginning of the Quenta Silmarillion  

ChewySkywalker

Rhaella

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:15 pm
Glorfirith Annun
Nandelle, why do you start an arguement every where you go? Can't we just have normal conversation for once? Just once?

I don't do it on purpose. confused That's just the sort of thing that I think about, and I thought it was a relative point to bring up, if only just in passing. But... okay.

Glorfirith Annun

What if Feanor never made the silmarils?

Hmmm. Likely Morgoth would still have killed the Two Trees, but he really wouldn't have had a reason to go to Formenos, would not have killed Finwe, and not have made the Noldor come chasing after him.

The Sindar would have, likely, been utterly destroyed, along with the Elves of Ossiriand and everyone else. The Edain would have likely fallen under his shadow and been destroyed as well.

Though, if the Noldor had not come, there would have been no ban on the West, and perhaps a Silmaril would not have been necessary to get through. The Valar, also, might not have been so indifferent to what was happening (especially Ulmo, who wasn't indifferent in any case), and it's possible that someone like... Luthien would have been able to get through to them if she had set her mind to it... and probably sometime before the end, she would have. 3nodding

It's also possible that the Noldor would have eventually found some other reason to come to Middle-earth. They're definitely restless by nature, I think that if the Silmarils didn't force them from Valinor, something else would have. Perhaps something like the Kinslaying would have occurred, perhaps not. There would likely have been no Oath, and no Prophecy of the North.

Beyond that... too many variables for me to take this any further. confused  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:15 pm
What if Elrond had chosen to be mortal?  

Elainya

SYFFER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:12 am
What if Illuvatar never created the Ainur but only Arda and the creatures in it (including Elves, men, etc.)?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:26 pm
SYFFER
What if Illuvatar never created the Ainur but only Arda and the creatures in it (including Elves, men, etc.)?

Interesting. Hrrm...but again, we come to the fact that there wouldn't have been a story. The 'No Melkor' question stated as much, and without the Ainur, that includes him. Plus, no Trees, thus no light for the Silmarils. Thus, *Sigh* no story. I'm starting to think that while the Silmarillion focuses on the tale of the Elves, the central characters are really the Ainur,  

Elainya

nosila5956

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:26 pm
Elainya
What if Elrond had chosen to be mortal?

Relating to that, what if all Elves were given the choice to be mortal?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:09 pm
What if Namo Mandos had been the leader of the Valar instead of Manwe?  

Rhaella

SYFFER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:29 pm
Nandelle
I don't think the leadership of the Valar matters that much. If Mandos was the leader, the other Valar would perform the same duties they always did but will respect Mandos more. Other than that, I think everything would be the same.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:45 am
SYFFER
Nandelle
I don't think the leadership of the Valar matters that much. If Mandos was the leader, the other Valar would perform the same duties they always did but will respect Mandos more. Other than that, I think everything would be the same.

Yes, but Mandos actually had some intelligence, while Manwe was an impotent moron. sweatdrop  

Rhaella

SYFFER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:25 pm
Nandelle
SYFFER
Nandelle

Yes, but Mandos actually had some intelligence, while Manwe was an impotent moron. sweatdrop
Oooh I wouldn't go there. Mandos had alot of intelligence but Manwe was second in might among the Valar (after Melkor) and had knowledge of much of Illuvatar's mind than the others.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:26 pm
I am, unfortunately, going to have to agree with SYFFER.  

Falathrim

SYFFER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:39 pm
Falathrim
I am, unfortunately, going to have to agree with SYFFER.
unfortuantely ha? xd Is it that difficult to agree with me?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:04 am
What if Morgoth wasn't chained but just killed?

Voltaire...*shudders* History is over for me this year...no more!  

Ithilvalan

Imyavie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Yoh-ko Rapper Ithilvalan
What if Morgoth wasn't chained but just killed?

Voltaire...*shudders* History is over for me this year...no more!

Well....

The battles after his chaining would not have taken place, Fingolfin, along with many other elves and men would not have been killed, Doriath and Menegroth would avoid ruin, Turin wouldn't of had such a crappy life...basically, almst every major event in the Silmarillion would not have taken place.  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff