Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The God Gene. ~*Please Read Whole First Post!*~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your blood decides how religious you are.
Likely.
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Possible.
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
What the hell ever!
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 26

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:40 am
hellpike
Religion is not genetic.
I know a set of identical twins. One's atheist and the other's Catholic.
Well, the idea isn't so much that your genes have the final say, but that they influence you. In the case of the two twins you know, the one may have become atheist because his brother is catholic. It may be his way of aserting himself as a seperate individual. Just because a person has a predisposition to something isn't a garauntee that they will do it. It just means the odds are that they will. You can have a predisposition to a drug dependancy, but if you never try drugs or if you have a strong negative opinion of them, you'll either never try it or if you do, you won't become addicted. But just because you don't doesn't mean that you don't have a predisposition. It just means you beat the odds. I believe that I'm at a genetic predisposition to being dependant on religion, but because of events in my life and my confidance in logic, I realized the truth and became atheist. But that's just me. To be honest, the research for this is still underway, and is still theoreticle. However, I am confidant that in the years to come it will soon become solid science.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:55 pm
Well, after looking at all of this, I'm starting to think that it might be possible. I still think that religious views have a lot more to do with upbringing than anything else (though the idea of a gene is intriguing). After all, I partly say that I became atheist because though my mother is religious, she never really pushed it on me. In fact, the only times I EVER went to church were during weekend stays with my grandparents. So I never really believed it. And to look at my father... the man's STILL all over the place!

So yeah. I think that it's a upbringing thing and not a gene. ((though I'm willing to be proven wrong))  

EngelerDeamon

E_Night

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:50 pm
I really don't think genes have anything to do with religion... Like everybody in my family is religios. it was how they were taught. They didn't have the internet to become knowledgable about other religions... thats might be the reason that most people use to believe in a religion and now their desendants don't

Yes I am crediting the LACK of the INTERNET for people being christian. People are becoming smarter because of this nifty invention. In fact I should make a religion that worships the INTERWEB!!! THE ALMIGHTY SUPREAME DIETY... or thing.... yes needs a new subtitle.... xp  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:24 pm
i dont agree at all  

malakei

EngelerDeamon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:13 pm
Eternalnight666
I really don't think genes have anything to do with religion... Like everybody in my family is religios. it was how they were taught. They didn't have the internet to become knowledgable about other religions... thats might be the reason that most people use to believe in a religion and now their desendants don't

Yes I am crediting the LACK of the INTERNET for people being christian. People are becoming smarter because of this nifty invention. In fact I should make a religion that worships the INTERWEB!!! THE ALMIGHTY SUPREAME DIETY... or thing.... yes needs a new subtitle.... xp

.....worships the... interweb??

COUNT ME IN!!!! X3  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:59 am
- Bipolarity -
Makes me wonder... do you guys know anything about the Indigo Child theory? It seems quite interesting.... A good site for this is Metagifted

o_0 I went on that site, and all but a couple of the charecteristics of the "Indigo Adult" (I'm only 15/16 tho) applied to meh...

I'm scared now...*runs and hides under table*

It is a cool site, tho. Thanks!  

[ toshimi ]

E_Night

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:46 pm
EngelerDeamon
Eternalnight666

.....worships the... interweb??

COUNT ME IN!!!! X3

Where have you gone engler? you havent been posting... no the interweb religion will fail without you
gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:38 pm
Now that it has been moved to Extended DBate, let the new revised discussion begin!  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

[Satan]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:10 am
I believe it.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:08 am
Dathu
Lock The Cards
Dathu
Wow. I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's possible. sweatdrop
I was agreeing. >.>

Oh I know. I was refering to the poll at the time. wink

I think there is a big chance of possibility 3nodding  

punkinside

Timo.exe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:35 am
Too many holes. I like the idea but it's to whishy washy. I personally wouldn't mind being genetically gullible and I personally think it could be one more challenge for me to be open but there's not enough info. Can you find more for me?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:46 pm
Timo89
Too many holes. I like the idea but it's to whishy washy. I personally wouldn't mind being genetically gullible and I personally think it could be one more challenge for me to be open but there's not enough info. Can you find more for me?
Your skepticism is understandable, but a lot of the scientific data is in books, scientific journals (that I don't want to pay for), and various published articles. So if you're really interested then DYOR (do your own research). It's really not that hard to find the articles. If you have an online subscription to time, you can get a good summery of what's been gathered.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

TofuDreamer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:28 pm
What I learned from Metal Gear Solid is that genes can't control your destiny. Just Kidding, It seems like in interesting idea. I'm not sure if I entirely agree on it though.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:12 pm
Dathu
Timo89
Your skepticism is understandable, but a lot of the scientific data is in books, scientific journals (that I don't want to pay for), and various published articles. So if you're really interested then DYOR (do your own research). It's really not that hard to find the articles. If you have an online subscription to time, you can get a good summery of what's been gathered.
Sounds good to me. I may add a tidbit of other people's work into my own.  

Timo.exe

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:35 pm
I'm not feeling the idea. I don't buy it....my explanation? Let me just quote 1 of my favorite paragraphs for Michael Crichton's : The Lost World.....

"Humans are not sentient or aware. There is no evidence for it. Human beings never think for themselves, they find it too uncomfortable. For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told--and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity, and the characteristic result is religious warfare. Other animals fight for territory, or food; but, uniquely in the animal kingdom, human beings fight for thier beliefs. The reason is that beliefs guide behavior which has evolutionary importance among human beings. But at a time when our behavior may well lead us to extinction, there is no reason to see that we have awareness at all. We all stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Meaning? The idea of believing in a god is a behavior to guide us. It is not inborn, and it is not given a hand by genes. It is caused by memory, genes do not inborn you a strong insistance that there is a god.

It is one thing to view a human rejecting rotten mean as a survival skill, and it is complete idiocy to think that the belief of there being or not being a god can be predispositioned by genes.

Reminds me of that one type of religion who beleived in predestination. They way the looked at it, it didn't matter what you did, because they felt that each person is chosen before birth wether or not they would go to heaven or hell.

If that were the case, I wouldn't be a part of this little guild, and my younger brother would be the one who is a "Black Sheep of the Family Name Athiest, condemned by the local church to be a son of the devil"  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff