Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you like better?
The Pokémanga. (( the manga ))
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
The series. (( English Animated Series ))
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
Japanese series. (( Jap. Animated Series ))
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:47 am
I like the shows, too - I like how funny they are. But I like how they look in the manga....and the manga's pretty funny, too. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:55 am
Which manga? *hugs her Ono manga*  

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

cloud generator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:43 pm
None. I'm just a gamefaqs pokemon R/S math person. Fun!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:34 pm
Math person? Do explain...  

Aoi Hikari

Romantic Prophet

15,075 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Nethilia
Captain

Liberal Member

3,450 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:44 pm
I'm a fan of the Pokemon Adventures series. I wish they'd continued it in America, now I have to find import versions -_-  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:37 pm
Somehow, I prefer the English animated series, for several reasons. In the manga, while there's a bit more maturity there, there was a *bit* too much Ash+Misty/Jessie+James stuff for my liking. I dislike cliche romances. Also, James isn't NEARLY as campy (read: "playing for the other team") as he is in the series, which is one thing I love about him. Also, the series has a certain "dodgyness" to it which is undenyably entertaining, if you have a dirty enough mind to pick it out. For one, my opinion (and judging by a lot of things he does/says) is that James is either gay, or bi with a very large bend, and also that Ash is a complete and total moron. But that's just my opinion. ^^;; Oh, and I also love Eric Stuart's voice work for the series.  

Sui Kune

Moonlight Lunatic

10,100 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Flanny-Chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:47 am
I've never read any manga in my life, can't watch the English series and can't watch the Japanese series, so I'll just say I like the games.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:52 am
I'm nuetral. I don't really favor the show and I've never seen the manga, so I can't really make a decision.  

Zeek Slider

Hopeless Man-Lover

28,040 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Cash Grabber 500

Load Chaud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:29 am
Quote:
I, myself, like the manga....in the English version of the series, they change too much stuff.....like:

Satoshi - Ash

Katsumi(sp?) - Misty

In case you haven't noticed, Misty is Kasumi's English name for the games. Which is the reason for that being her English name in the cartoon, comics, etc. Same for Satoshi/Ash (though, he technically doesn't have an official name in the Game Boy games. Satoshi/Ash is just one of the default names in the Japanese/English version, respectively).

The cartoon series is the closest resemblance to the original game design. Which is the reason for the Pokédex design, and such. It does take a lot of liberties (like Gym Leaders Brock and Misty following Ash on his adventure), but Mr. Ono's comics deviate even more from the original design. (The cartoon is loosely based on the GB games, and the Ono comics are loosely based on the cartoon. XP).

Quote:
and there isn't even an inckling of Ash's liking for May ((Gary's older sister))...

I'm not sure if you're talking about the comics or the cartoon. Because in the cartoon, Gary's sister has NEVER appeared. Whereas in the comics (and yes, I do mean the English version), they do show this. How Ash acted when he was talking to her (the first issue), and how he dreamed about her (the second issue, I think).

Quote:
I love Ash's real name...Satoshi!

It's not his real name. It's just his Japanese name. As being a fictional character, he doesn't have a "real" name. He's just named whatever who in charge of what he does (be it Nintendo Co., Ltd. or Nintendo of America, or whatever) wants him to be named. His official name could be "Mud" if they chose it to be.

Eh. So that's my mini-rant.

But... back on topic now... I really like Ono's comics. Even despite the amount of censorship that went into the English version (let's face it, most of the girls were way too busty and revealing for an English children's comic. And Pokémon is aimed at kids. Deal with it). It's story may not be that great, but it's got its moments (particularly the monsterous Haunter. That was awesome). And it's funny at times.
But, I also like the English version of the cartoon, too. While it's story is even less as stellar as the comic's story is, I still find it interesting. It's light-hearted and even humorous at times.
I'm no Japanophile, otaku, or anime purist. So that's why I really don't care about the changes made from the Japanese version to the English version. Nor do I think "ZOMG teh japanese version iz better cuz itz in japanese LOL".  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:52 pm
I only have the first Volume of the English manga and it was okay. I like the show the best So sto0o0pidly funny.  

Meushi-chan

Wheezing Elder

Phoenix_Soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:25 pm
I prefer the anime, in either language, mostly because of the lack of the Jesse/James romance. Bleh. Eric Stuart is wonderful, as is Rachel Lillis; and it's great to educate fans and non-fans alike on the dodgier, more adult aspects of the series.

Ehm... What else.. Team Rocket forever! ^__^  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:02 pm
Like Nethilia, my favorite is definately Pokemon Adventures smile Unlike Nethilia, I've only gotten ahold of the first two volumes and can't get any more volumes or imports or what-not ;_;
I think it's hilarious that they switched Green's and Blue's names in the translation XD  

Axel the Bard

Load Chaud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:52 am
Well, Axel, they kinda had to. Blame Nintendo on changing Green Version's color to Blue for the American release (and yet, they didn't change LeafGreen to WaterBlue... 'tis a shame). Because...
JAPAN:
Hero = Red, Satoshi, etc.
Rival = Green, Shigeru, etc.
US:
Hero = Red, Ash, etc.
Rival = Blue, Gary, etc.
Though, it can make some things confusing when talking about the comic series in both languages (like on Serebii.net's comic pages).  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:42 am
Yeah, I know why they did it, I still think it's hilarious, though razz  

Axel the Bard

Narcolepshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:00 pm
^^ Manga definately.

I like both manga.. the adventure one and the sickly cute one ^^  
Pokémon Defenders

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash