Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
AAAAHHHHH THE FILM!!!! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you . . . .?
. . . . only seen the film
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
. . . . only read the book
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
. . . . only listened to the radio series
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
. . . . everything!!!
85%
 85%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 41

Kaggr

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:03 pm
0.o I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've read the book...According to the people at school, it was a good movie.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:48 pm
potoroo99
the reason why i didn't like the film was because they missed out my favourite parts and added things that just didn't work, it wasn't a bad film, it just wasn't right

If that's what you dislike about it you'll hate the books, the tv series, and the other 4 radio shows, since they all do exactly the same thing (adding bits, some of which don't work, and removing other bits)  

Zoutout

dudebro711

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:45 pm
Zoutout
potoroo99
the reason why i didn't like the film was because they missed out my favourite parts and added things that just didn't work, it wasn't a bad film, it just wasn't right

If that's what you dislike about it you'll hate the books, the tv series, and the other 4 radio shows, since they all do exactly the same thing (adding bits, some of which don't work, and removing other bits)

...He's right, you know.  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:33 pm
It was okay, something I probably won't want to see again. Marvin sucked, couldn't stand him, don't know why, maybe he was just to depressed or something, it was just off for me. Trillan sucked, I didn't like the whole stupid love story. Aruther was done great however. Zaphod's ego could have been a little less intense, but it was still good. They left out alot of my favirote dialouges, like the dialouge with Prosser, and Aruther in front of the bulldozer where they are discussing the annoucment in the basement, and the one I liked the most from the books, the whale, was horribly done, not a single person laughed in the theater except at the last line. "Hello, ground." The narrator sucked, just didn't capture the guide very well. However there were parts I really liked, the whole church thing sceen, with "Achoo." "Bless you" part was classic. Marvin had his funny scenes, ecpecially the last one. Overall it wasn't bad, but there were parts I didn't like. And thats my little rant.  

Cracovin

Kitsune Ookami

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:29 pm
I personally thought that is was good, but not as good as the book. The thing that I personally didn't like the most was the whole Arthur/Trillian thing since I'm more of a Trillian/Zaphod supporter. I also think that it would have been cool to combine the first book and the beginning of the second instead of just ending it right there.

I think Sam Rockwell and Alan Rickman/Warwick Davis did a great job ^^  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:09 pm
Kitsune Ookami
I personally thought that is was good, but not as good as the book. The thing that I personally didn't like the most was the whole Arthur/Trillian thing since I'm more of a Trillian/Zaphod supporter. I also think that it would have been cool to combine the first book and the beginning of the second instead of just ending it right there.

I think Sam Rockwell and Alan Rickman/Warwick Davis did a great job ^^
The whole Trillian/Aurthur romance thing wasn't DNA's idea, it was the studio's idea. They wanted more story structure. Mostly everything else was pure Adams.  

LilaTheMoo

Dapper Lunatic

Yuuki Gunn

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:08 am
Cracovin
It was okay, something I probably won't want to see again. Marvin sucked, couldn't stand him, don't know why, maybe he was just to depressed or something, it was just off for me. Trillan sucked, I didn't like the whole stupid love story. Aruther was done great however. Zaphod's ego could have been a little less intense, but it was still good. They left out alot of my favirote dialouges, like the dialouge with Prosser, and Aruther in front of the bulldozer where they are discussing the annoucment in the basement, and the one I liked the most from the books, the whale, was horribly done, not a single person laughed in the theater except at the last line. "Hello, ground." The narrator sucked, just didn't capture the guide very well. However there were parts I really liked, the whole church thing sceen, with "Achoo." "Bless you" part was classic. Marvin had his funny scenes, ecpecially the last one. Overall it wasn't bad, but there were parts I didn't like. And thats my little rant.

On the subject of the highlighted bits: have you read/listened to/watched it?
Marvin was just like marvin, he looked different and sounded different, but almost all his lines were directly out of the book/radio show/TV show/Comic Book/towel, also Zaphod's ego was tonned down if anything, well after the head thing.  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:02 pm
you cant really say that the movie was worst than the book i mean all movies are brought very diffrent from the books but this movie was very very close  

akaikiba

nereruo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:44 pm
Should my parents see the movie? What about my girlfriend who has not read the books?  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:50 pm
nereruo
Should my parents see the movie? What about my girlfriend who has not read the books?

I'd think so. My friend who took me to the movie never read the books before and he wasn't lost or anything (he loved the movie too).. as for parents, if you're asking if there's anything that a parent would freak out about, I didn't pick up on anything like that. xd  

circuit sparks

Lullabee

Timid Elocutionist

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:27 pm
Zaphod was just too stupid. He's not supposed to be stupid! Not constantly, anyway. Stupid on occasion, but clever the rest of the time. He was just this mindless, childish, stuck-in-the-'70's nuisance! But I learned something- besides the fact that I've been mispronouncing his name- the Zaphod in the books does have something you could call dignity, and that dignity really took a beating in the movie. But... everyone else was good. Besides the not-explaining-the-towels, which probably made Ford look like a right nut to new fans of H2G2. Arthur's too-polite-to-be-cheeky expression when he was asking Trillian if there's anything else Zaphod has two of was utterly priceless. And Marvin was pretty good. I wanted to hug him so much... The idea-slappy things were genius. But Zaphod bugged me.  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:36 pm
Yuuki Gunn
Cracovin

Marvin was just like marvin, he looked different and sounded different, but almost all his lines were directly out of the book/radio show/TV show/Comic Book/towel, also Zaphod's ego was tonned down if anything, well after the head thing.

You can have to much, you can always have to much, and alot of times when there is to much it comes out bad. Marvin was to depressed, maybe a different actor would have been better. Zaphod, was just plain stupid, immature, and to much ego, I understand he was like that in the book, but once again to much is to much.  

Cracovin

Paquito Diaz

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:42 pm
It was a depressingly good movie. gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:29 pm
Cracovin
Yuuki Gunn
Cracovin

You can have to much, you can always have to much, and alot of times when there is to much it comes out bad. Marvin was to depressed, maybe a different actor would have been better. Zaphod, was just plain stupid, immature, and to much ego, I understand he was like that in the book, but once again to much is to much.
I have to side with Yuuki Gunn on this one. Marvin was absolutely the way I imagined, and Zaphod even more so. As for the whale part, I could not have seen it better myself! That is exactly the way I saw it in my mind when I read it, and when I listened to the radio series, that's how it was. There was nothing wrong with the whale part; it was perfect. And the only thing that was "too much" in the movie was the whole Trillian/Arthur thing, and that wasn't DNA - it was the damn Disney corp trying to make an awesome thing even awesomer. Without succeding.

phantasmic kacaphony

Cosmic Camper

14,125 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

eccentrica

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:01 pm
I realize that this thread is old, but somebody brought it back, so I'm replying damnit! blaugh BTW, spoilers for anyone who, for whatever reason, hasn't read all 5 books.

I went in expecting to be disappointed, and wasn't disappointed.

It seems I'm the only one here who thought the dolphin sequence was painfully inane; I probably drank more beer in that 3.5 minutes than in the rest of the entire movie.

Arthur heart Trillian = doesnt work if they plan to make sequels that even resemble the books. I don't think DNA intended that story deviation at all. I guess in Disney's World they actually get it on to have a kid rather than have Arthur visit a sperm bank and Trillian as the recipient. Blah blah, Arthur and Fenchurch, blah blah blah.

In a sense, I didn't like Marvin's voice because the entire time I'm thinking, "Man, Professor Snape sounds like he needs some Zoloft." I love Alan Rickman, though, he just sounded TOO familiar.

SOME Plot changes didn't bother me sacrifices had to be made to adopt it to a film, that I know. "Zaphod's second head being cut off" was okay, until they seemed to brush that under the carpet at the very end, making way for the non-player-character Vice President, whoever the smeg that was, suddenly hook up with Zaphod.

However, rebuilding the Earth exactly as it was before the Vogons blew it up... well that just made my brain want to explode, luckily I had also wrapped my skull securely with duct tape during the dolphin sequence or the theater would have been picking grey matter out of the carpet for weeks. Hey, wasn't the computer 5 minutes away from completing its task? Isn't that why the Vogons blew it up, not to build a hyperspace bypass but because Gag Halfrunt (I think it was, my memory's rusty) was part of a conspiracy put forth by the philosophers who didn't want the Ultimate Question to be revealed? And that's why they had to blow it up AGAIN at the end of Mostly Harmless.

Allright that's enough. Best not to think about it too much.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games