Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Could You Live With a Religious Family for 30 Days? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Could you do it?
  Yeah
  No!
  I am already there...
View Results

Muaethia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:55 pm
shinobikun
Muaethia
Wife swap (I think you have something called "Trading spouses" or something like that), where the wife from one family leaves to live with another. It's been quite entertaining, there have been one or two Atheists.

I do not like the idea because the media points a lot of bias in favor for the majorityI remeber watching that and the guy's name is reggie jackson and had his own website called the infidelguy.com and has been running it for 7 years now. that is his job and the network instead of calling it pro-atheism or something that gives atheism a positive view they call it anti-god funny ain't it.

as for the 30 days I been in it for all my life surrounded by a family of religious nuts. I am known as the black sheep of the family (baa!)

The reason it is entertaining is because they do go with the majority. The minority being the religious nuts. The general public are taking the piss out of the religious families and wives, not the non-religious ones.

It's pretty clear they are on the side of the Atheists or the less-fundie christians practically all of the time. That's why it's so entertaining. That's channel four for you xd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:53 pm
The rest of my family is religious. Well maybe not ''religious,'' as they don't go to church often, nor do they say any sort of pre-meal prayers. Whenever they go to church on holidays or say prayers together I join them. But since I'm 14 I don't really have a choice. [For prayers I just bow my head...] They respect my beliefs, so I respect theirs. Though my grandmother and I get in a lot of religious related debates. I don't think she realizes I'm agnostic...  

a lemon of sorts

Defiled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:30 pm
I'm going to take a leap and guess that the family they pick wont be your average lax Christians like most Americans. More likely they're going to be the highly conservative types that even other Christians think are nuts. I mean, this is assuming, though, that its even a Christian family. A strongly religious Muslim or Jewish family could be as bad, if not worse.

At any rate, I wouldn't pretend to play along with another person's religious rituals. I think it would be highly inconsiderate of them to expect me to. I wouldn't expect them to give up their religion for the time I was staying there, so why should they expect me to give up my beliefs for them? I wouldn't try to convert them, I would expect them to show the same consideration. I would explain this basicly as soon as I arrived.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:11 pm
Muaethia
Nonymous
Sanguvixen
addseale2
Meh, I'd probably survive. Bow your head at prayer, don't start anything, and back down when someone else does.

(See also: My survival method for the next three years. XD)

Hm? Why should the Athiest have to bow before the Theist?

If it were me, I'd take the earliest chance, show how you don't want to make me angry, and then there would be peace.

It would be a truce. They don't bring up religion, or attempt to force me to go to church, and I'll keep my mouth shut.

I don't know if I would last. I'm the kind of person where if I don't like something, I'm going to fix it. If I can't fix it, I leave so that I don't have to be around it.
I tell the people right away that I don't say grace. And when they are all praying I start to eat. I don't want to take part in what they do or to pretend to take part in it. Sometimes you might go along with a family to church because you don’t want to offend them or start anything. But the entire time you are uncomfortable. You shouldn’t be submissive just because another group is dominant.

I've never had to say grace in my life, but I think it's really disrespectful to start eating while they are still praying. It means something to them, and they would think you were awfully rude if you just started eating. I wouldn't, I would sit there determindly until they finish.

It's not being submissive, if everyone else is doing it they are a majority so are dominent. It's not a case of 'keeping your head down', either, it would just be morally wrong in my opinion to shout out "NO I WONT PRAY IM BEING A REBEL LOL".

Not that I would ever go along with it. It's called passive resistance, if they let me not pray I let them pray type of thing. Meh.

The only time Grace is ever said with my family is with other family members...such as Thankgiving. During those times I just choose to not eat until they finish, but I do not say grace.

What I meant was that I don't see why a thiest should get thier way just because they are the majority. I don't play that s**t.

If they give me consideration, than I give the same consideration back. It is called Co-existance...and some people need to learn it.

An Athiest and a Thiest can get along fine, and even live with each other, if they learn consideration, and how to Co-exist by consideration.

Let us say...that person prays at night. As long as they don't try to make me pray too, than I'll leave them alone when praying.

If they want to go to church on sunday they can do that, as for me, I am not hurting anything by sleeping in.

If they want to say grace, I will be considerate by not eating until they are finished.

If a person wants to converse...I'll stay away from why I think god doesn't exist, as long as they stay away from trying to convert me, or bring up the topic. It is live and let live...and it can work.

Sanguvixen

Bowmore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:16 pm
My sanity in a situation like that would depend entirely on how hard the religious family would try to convert me. I won't push my views on them unless they try to push theirs on me, simple as that. I'll bow my head during prayer out of respect, since I'm living under their roof (albeit temporarily), but that's as far as I'll go.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:32 pm
I cannot hang around religious folk for more than a hour let alone a whole month, within 2 day' s of living there I would probably snap and leave.

It' s not that I wish to be disrespectful it' s that I find what the religious right say is alway' s so backward' s and insane.

and the funny christian thing on trading spouses you are talking about I believe is this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoPW5RsMftQ  

Kiron

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:32 pm
They asked her to over-react on that ending there, but believe me, there's people around where I live that would have followed that to the letter. xD  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:51 pm
I could make it. I live in one of the worst Christian territories I've seen. My family is "Christian" but they aren't religious. If that makes sense? Anyway, I've had to be around them for all my life. Just be respectful. Don't bring up anything that might end up in a religious debate, etc. And if you're eating, bow your head and close your eyes at prayer time. Doesn't mean you're praying, you're just being respectful of their religion. As long as they don't shove it in my face, its all good. 3nodding

Kyouiki Ikeike

Nonymous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:51 pm
Muaethia
Nonymous
Sanguvixen
addseale2
Meh, I'd probably survive. Bow your head at prayer, don't start anything, and back down when someone else does.

(See also: My survival method for the next three years. XD)

Hm? Why should the Athiest have to bow before the Theist?

If it were me, I'd take the earliest chance, show how you don't want to make me angry, and then there would be peace.

It would be a truce. They don't bring up religion, or attempt to force me to go to church, and I'll keep my mouth shut.

I don't know if I would last. I'm the kind of person where if I don't like something, I'm going to fix it. If I can't fix it, I leave so that I don't have to be around it.
I tell the people right away that I don't say grace. And when they are all praying I start to eat. I don't want to take part in what they do or to pretend to take part in it. Sometimes you might go along with a family to church because you don’t want to offend them or start anything. But the entire time you are uncomfortable. You shouldn’t be submissive just because another group is dominant.

I've never had to say grace in my life, but I think it's really disrespectful to start eating while they are still praying. It means something to them, and they would think you were awfully rude if you just started eating. I wouldn't, I would sit there determindly until they finish.

It's not being submissive, if everyone else is doing it they are a majority so are dominent. It's not a case of 'keeping your head down', either, it would just be morally wrong in my opinion to shout out "NO I WONT PRAY IM BEING A REBEL LOL".

Not that I would ever go along with it. It's called passive resistance, if they let me not pray I let them pray type of thing. Meh.
Disrespectful? Probably. But that is my choice at the dinner table. In fact grandma said it was ok. After all my family doesn’t say grace, they pray for almost 5 minutes.

But if you’re entire family goes to church, will you go along with them? I feel that they try to pressure me into it. They said that “Your beliefs are disrespectful”.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:21 am
That would be interesting to watch, but I live with it everyday! Okay, my family isn't overly-religious or anything but they are still all Catholic. I'm just lucky I don't have to go to Church every Sunday! Still, my parents had to insist on putting me in a Catholic school. That means that I have to take at least one religion class every year. This is obviously complete torture and a total waste of my time! I used to pretend I was Catholic when I first started doubting the existence of God, but when I finally realized once and for all that God did not exist, I simply didn't care anymore. Oh well, only two more religion classes to go and the blatant stupidity has made me burst out laughing in the middle of class on many occassions. (Ha ha, no wonder my religion teacher hated me!)  

_darkened_tears_

Zwiebelsaft!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:51 pm
I could live with a uberly-Christian couple, but only if they're Catholic- if they're Baptist or Lutheran, then I'd rather kill myself. Although that's harsh, I find that Catholicism is alot less evil than Protestantism, not to mention that the protestant's leader (Martin Luther) was a total douchebag.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:07 am
Evil_Twin_V1.337
I could live with a uberly-Christian couple, but only if they're Catholic- if they're Baptist or Lutheran, then I'd rather kill myself. Although that's harsh, I find that Catholicism is alot less evil than Protestantism, not to mention that the protestant's leader (Martin Luther) was a total douchebag.

Baptist. Oh man. Try going to a Baptist Christian school for three years. 3nodding

Horrid. Absolutely horrid.

Kyouiki Ikeike

Razornova

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:54 am
Kyouiki Ikeike
Evil_Twin_V1.337

Baptist. Oh man. Try going to a Baptist Christian school for three years. 3nodding

Horrid. Absolutely horrid.

When I was Christian I was Baptist... :3 I never really had any problems with it, even when I stopped believing in God and just pretended to be Christian and still attended church and everything. During grace when I'm at my grandmother's house I just refrain from eating until they're finished. When I do go to church, I just sit in the back, bite my tongue, and keep my head down.

Such was especially hard after watching The DaVinci Code then having the preacher talk about it the next day. xD  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:06 am
It is pretty agreeable that being with a family of christians is better off than being with a family of baptists.

Generally speaking the Baptists tend to be the ones who are a little far out, and you find a higher concentration of zealots belonging to that group.

For some unknown reason baptists are the ones who are a little more willing to be openly vocal, even if what they have to say is literally insane.

However when it comes to people being strict, trying looking into the Mormon group sometime. Those people can be pretty strict.

If I had to live with a religous family for 30 days, I'd rather have them be Christian. Baptists are the ones that will get into your face about the silliest things, and Mormons won't even allow you talk. It is "Obey or be punished" with some families(trust me I've met a far few).

Sanguvixen

Razornova

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:16 am
Sanguvixen
It is pretty agreeable that being with a family of christians is better off than being with a family of baptists.

Er, forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Baptist just another denomination of Christianity? Don't you mean Catholics, rather than Christians?  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff