Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do american soldiers be allowed to drink at 18
  yes
  no
View Results

Prince Mykal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:59 pm
I personally do not drink and never have. So I really have no opinion of when people should be allowed to drink. I will say however that there should only be one age at which one can be considered an adult. You can drive at 16 although many states are changing that. With a parents permission, You can join the military at 17 unless that has changed. You can vote at 18 and drink at 21. There needs to be one age where a person can be considered an adult and I must ask if anyone thinks adults are wearing caps and gowns at a high school graduation?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:19 am
My husband is a Marine and he's been to both Iraq and Afghanistan. He didn't drink over there because they weren't allowed. When they went out on liberty (leave) he couldn't drink because he was only 20. To be honest with you, I don't think 18 makes you an adult. And 21 is cutting it close. In my opinion, military members under the age of 21 should not be allowed to drink. I lived in a military town full of Army soldiers and Marines and they were absolutely disgusting. They were mean, gross, and they would harass girls. And half of them got into a fight over stupid stuff. And these people were 21 and older. Its bad enough you have those people to deal with, it'd be a million times worse if 18 year olds could drink too.  

[ b r i. l a l a ]

Anxious Fairy

AQuAxXxScORP_62704

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:08 am

Yes and No.

Yes,
they should,
especially before they go anywhere
to be deployed in hazardous places (like war);
hell don't mind the fact you know what,
you might just die when you go;
so jug down all you want your bladder can take,
but still be responsible.

No,
being a military brat
(my dad a marine...my fiance air force)...
I've seen some even older than 21,
that is completely irresponsible when they are drunk..
I get a little too furious when people drink and drive;
espcecially the ones
(which I say really show their very true colors)
when they completely have a change personality.
Those kind of people can really drag you down,
when it comes to fun;
for all I care why bother to drink,
if they have a whole different attitude,
especially liquored up.

For that reason,
is why they did change
the age limit back to 21
(which use to be 18 ) for the military,
you were able to drink
if you were in the military,
as long as it's inside base..
Although sometimes they
will let the age limit slide to 20...
I saw this happen..
just need to know which
base will say so...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:09 am
Hey, I am new to this guild. I am a Navy wife and have an education in Public Health. From what I have seen in the Navy and be taught in college. Drinking is a epidemic in the US, unlike other countries.

The US, has had a very bad history with alcohol and drug abuse in the military. That's why there are additional rules regarding the alcohol consumption. If anything, because the US government does not want to accept legal responsiblity for the affects of alcohol on its members and their actions, just like most other jobs out there. AKA malpractice.

As miltary, you are a role model and supposed to project a level of "class," just like cops and other law enforcement officers have to do. Every poor decision made by a military personnel will ultimately reflect bad upon the military in the general public. It's not right that the actions of a few ruin it for all, but it happens. Plus, it is fact that the younger you are the more likely you are to abuse alcohol and act irresponsible. The more bad actions that happen, the more likely that the general public will lose faith in the US government and the system. Which means, the public will not feel safe anymore, which should avoided as much as can be.

True, the military is by far one of the most stressful jobs out there, both for the members and their dependents/families, but since it is voluntary, military personnel probably won't get any special treatment in regards to alcohol outside of a few individuals here and there. It may not be fair, but it is a part of the job.

However, also from observation, most military personnel at military sponcered functions are allowed to drink or the rules are less enforced, especially if the CO of your division is ok with it. Usually that happens, if the crew shows responsibility in their drinking. If they are irresponsible, that priviledge is taken away. Outside of that, most military are "family" and they are likely to buy it for you anyway. So, for the most part you can, just can't drink alone.

On a different note, alcohol does not fix the situation. You are going to a dangerous place and risking your life, but can you honestly say that drinking will help you feel more at ease with that outside of a few days? In the end, drinking does not give you the strength or the power to be able to fight any better or stay alive longer in those situations. If anything, not using alcohol as a crutch will prepare the mind more for war, by learning to deal with the fear of death. So that when a life or death situation comes up, one will have confidence to overcome the fear and do what is right, not what is instinctual.

Personally, I feel that too many people, both military and civillians alike, use alcohol as a crutch in the US. The image of alcohol in the US is a rite of passage and something that will "fix all your problems." The younger you are, the more likely you will believe this stereotype. This is where the problem really lies. There would not be a need for the 21 age limit if this did not exist. It is not fair for those who are educated enough to drink responsibly, but like I said before, the actions of a few determine the fate for everyone.  

stephaniebeav

21+

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces