Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:25 pm
RionaDaidouji
I never really got offended, per say, but it bothers me a little that she made Lucifer a likable character in AS. Even though I know that the Lucifer in AS is very different than the one in the Bible, the idea still makes me uncomfortable.

But would I stop reading AS just because hordes of fans tell me that Lucifer is their favorite character?..... Well, okay, almost... Luckily I was already attatched to some of the other characters by the time I met some of the more obsessed fans, so I wasn't turned away completely.

To me, the bible is as much fiction as AS is.
It has roots in historical events, it is advice for how to live in the form of allegory written by those that came before us.
But when it comes down to it, IMO, the bible was a work created by the hands of man, in the image and POV of man, etc (and when I say "man" I mean MAN. Very male-centered, the bible...).

The figure of Lucifer, the concept of God are all manifestations of philosophizing over universal human experiences like right and wrong, life and death...but neither representation of the ineffable forces that lead our lives into the metaphysical are inherantly out to lead us to eternal suffering after death...that seems a bit far-fetched. A story of bogeymen and nothing more.

Plus a lot of people use this concept as a pretense to try and govern OTHER people. To tell other people that they are wrong and that they must immediatly conform to their idea of the universe.
That just strikes me as strange, but I've always had a problem with authority.

Whether you do good or evil is completely up to you and you ultimately can't foist the blame on beings in the ether that whisper wicked things in your ears and plant the seeds of temptation in your heart.

And besides. What is God without the Adversary?  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:50 am
I can understand how some people are offended but you have to remember it's just a manga. She isn't starting a cult or anything. I'll admit the incest in AS did put a bit off at first but then I saw them as a pure love that is sadly frowned upon. I always say 'It's better being an open sinner then a false saint.'  

Kohanna13

Kandie_Holica

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:07 pm
Kaori Yuki purposefully takes ideas and conceptions and twist them into new ideas that force the reader to think differantly and that might make some people uncomfortable, however she is only doing what all great writers strive to do...make the reader think!
Personally, I am far from being offended by any of her works and as Kaori Yuki said herself; it is a work of fiction.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:02 pm
I do not argue with others about it, for it is fiction.  

r-chan09

750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

CountDarkness!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:06 am
I think it could be considered offensive, b/c it goes over all these taboos and says 'Screw 'em'. I actually like that. it's no worse than Loveless.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:43 pm
I don't find it offensive at all. I think that it's a book and it's meant for enjoyment. I don't think that literature really has that much of an effect what I do on a daily basis. The characters obviously aren’t real, so what does it matter. I actually really like the biblical names, I think it adds something.  

Laurelindoren

5,900 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Market Browser 100

Brenli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:10 pm
There are some people that just prefer that religious content not be tampered with at all. And because Kaori Yuki-sensei is so fond of using religious references, I'd say yes, her works can be viewed as offensive. I, personally, keep an open mind and don't see any problems with her work, but coming from a family containing very conservative Christians and Catholics, I understand that some people would just FREAK OUT over her work. crying  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:39 am
I don't find it offensive but I can see how it would be. A lot of people probably cannot get past the incest thing at the beginning and might find that it doesn't go along with their view of God and religion if they do get past that.

I actually like her version of Lucifer a lot.... because if you think about it, he's the ultimate evil and everyone should know better than to be tempted by him. He's going to need a ton of charisma in order to make that work and Angel Sanctuary's version of him definately has it, especially when he's being Kira. How many fangirls does this character have again?

Honestly though, I've read and seen a lot worse out there that other people have done.  

Sheard

Man-Hungry Kitten

9,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers