Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Christmas Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Seven Deadly Sinz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:47 pm
Sinak
OK...
Atheists out that are still the age to get 'presents' for Christmas

Do you get presents for Christmas from you Christian parents/family???

I didnt and I just wanted to see who did and didnt

of course, christmas as we know it is hardly religious anymore, it's more about the 'gift of giving' now then it's religious base.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:39 am
Of course! Christmas isn't about religion any more, in fact hardly anyone in my community and social circles mentions it at all. Even my religious grandparents don't really mention God, except for the christmas carols that are playing when we go up to their's.

It's all about tradition, really. It's a good excuse to go shopping (pre-christmas), decorate a tree ridiculously, and have it inside, get presents (on the day), stuff yourself full of food, have two weeks off school/college and get drunk on several occasions, all alcohol provided by family. What's not to like?

I see it as a celebration of the end of the year, actually. Kind of like "Woot! We've got through another one, now let's aim to put on 10 pounds before new year!"

Muaethia

Meisugi_Jaganshi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:26 pm
Nope. My parents get presents just because it is a "holly, jolly time of the year" and what-not; they're not Christian at all. My sisters and I don't ask for or get presents because we just don't want them, but we get each other small things. It's all about "family time" and stuff.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:47 am
I still get presents. I still get easter baskets too. I tell my parents just to skip it and not get me anything but they buy me stuff anyway. I don't complain. I just consider it free stuff in large amounts.  

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

Xiporah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:11 pm
The only Christian family that I really have...yeah I get presents from them. My immediate family isn't really religious. My ultra heavy duty catholic cousin never gets me anything. I get her presents just to spite her and make her feel bad. whee

Not because of her religion though. There's a lot of animosity there from childhood and favortism issues.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:08 pm
||_______________________

Christmas is my favorite holiday <3 Candy canes, no classes, people giving me things, sparkly tree, candy canes... and candy canes.
    I never really enjoyed the holiday for any religious ties even when I was christian.
    The start of it and the reason Christmas is in winter at all was more to overshadow older winter celebrations. I don't know if overshadow is the right way to explain it exactly, but at any rate the Christmas holiday absorbed some aspects of other celebrations. So the way it's celebrated has never been strictly Christian.

To me, if you are a Christian who gives gifts then you would definitely get a non-christian a gift. You're still supposed to love the person and who knows, maybe your kindness would eventually make this person 'see the light.' xP
_______________________||

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash