Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
What's your design education? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you...
a graphic design graduate?
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
a graphic design student?
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
studying something else?
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
working in a different field?
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
working in graphic design with no formal education in it?
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
still in highschool?
26%
 26%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 57

Raine Dragon

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:01 am
I am 18 years old as of last march. I have taken 2 classes in graphic design in high school (one was teaching you the technical skills, the other was more layout design) through a tech magnet program, and completed a mentorship at an advertising agency through the same program. I also worked at said advertising agency over the summer. I am now at Howard community college studying Mass Media > Web Design (not many schools around here offer a major in web design at all sad ) and when I get my associates degree in that, I plan to transfer to another school and get a bachelors degree in Graphic Design. I hope it is design related.... wink I totally loved it and it did find me a summer job, a good one at that! I would recommend the technology magnet program we have around here to anyone interested in any sort of career in visual media, it is, simply put, an amazing use of high school credits because you get work experience, are able to learn the software and basic design equipment and it's free. Also, when I left the program, I was qualified enough to work at the advertising agency that I had the mentorship with, so really I'd say if anyone has the choice, it beats taking home-economics hands down.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:27 pm
16 and self-taught.  

Susue

Alien Invader

Darkshrimp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:57 am
i'm still in high school sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:55 am
I'm about to finish my freshman year in high school. Right now i'm trying to learn Maya, and I have a decent grasp on Photoshop. Ill probally end up going in the Marines and have them pay for me to goto college. I either want to get my degree in Computer Engineering, Game Design, or Computer Animation. Either way im going to hopefully get a job in the gaming industry.  

Better of Two Evils

Hizzahn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:48 pm
I'm one of I think two computer science majors at my college. Hopefully there will be less and less so I might have a job when I graduate xp

I pretty much just take programming classes even though I enjoy graphic design. I don't really take any art classes since I am horrible at drawing. Any graphics knowledge I have I pretty much taught myself...photoshop, imageready, flash... I am really into web design and the programming behind that. Again, self taught other than Java/Javascript. It treats me well. More than half way done with my Math/CS major. I think I can I think I can I think I can.....  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:59 am
7th Grade, no teaching.  

That Crazy Botvinnik

Panther Nightwind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:56 pm
Self taught through trial and error and hoping to go to college for a major in graphic design ^_^ *hoping*  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:47 am
heh i'm amature firework user. razz its easy but its hard to break into more advanced program. Although I'm intermediate webpage designe razz . I already make websites for small bussiness and i'm only softmore in HS  

Wolven Lurker

CinnamonMeteor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:05 am
I actually have a degree in website design and project coodination. However, I graduated before graphic design was really a strong program at my university. Even now, I don't think it covers everything one needs to know. Most of my classes were in the business (BUSA) listing rather than Art or even Communication.

Right now, I may end up working outside of the field or close to it. The market is really looking for programmers right now, rather than design. It just depends on what part of the country you happen to live in. This area is saturated, from all appearances. And I've been searching for about two years for a steady job. (It may change shortly!)

While working on websites is something I enjoy, I also like working from the coodination side of things more than development. At the moment, I may go back to take side courses in the area of design publication. I think that's the one advantage most graphic designers have over other fields. You can work in various positions because of the programs that you have to learn. In addition to knowing the standard Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro, Illustrator and so forth, I also know Pagemaker, InDesign and QuarkXpress.

If there was any one single course that a college -should- have, it would be Flash. So far, I have yet to see that offered as a full, 16 week course. If there is a place somewhere, I stand corrected. wink Telling students to use tutorials is fine, but it shouldn't be the sole means of instruction.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:21 pm
Wee, give it up for a guild newbie everyone xd !

I'm actually still in high school. I plan to persue a career in Graphics Design, because it's something I can do, and like to do. Yeah, I wanna go to the Art Institute of Seattle after I graduate. It'd be nice to do something like a comic, but I wouldn't have the patience to do that. I can't stand drawing straight lines, however making them in a image editing program is another story.

And no, I haven't been taught anything. Well, at least nothing I didn't teach myself. Although, I'm currently taking an Art Class in highschool, but are teacher doesn't know anything about art, which totally sucks for me. I've been waiting for an art class forever, and when I finally get into one, I don't get anything worthwhile out of it. Dumb b***h made us color with chalk rectangles that she called pastels scream .  

Summanaro

Sinequan_150mg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:21 pm
I am currently a Graphic Design college student. I've always been into art, so figured I would go for the degree. This is my first year, so some things are new to me. The first year in my college's Graphics Design course covers Web Design as well. Though, I have done digital artwork a bit before and I know HTML pretty well. I do sometimes prefer doing artwork off of computers.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:30 am
I've had absolutely no formal education in art, my skills are mainly self taught and are hence, lousy. I'm currently doing a diploma in new media art, I'll finish it by January 2005. After that I intend to pursue a Bachelor of Arts in Visual Communication 3nodding  

Naiadrisa

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:19 am
I want this back up the top so the new members can have their say wink

Reminder: bumping is not allowed. Unless you're me. Moohahahaha  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:30 am
I'm 19 and currently majoring in computer science, but as I'm taking my programming classes I'm starting to get less interested in it. I'm thinking to going into graphic design or computer graphics, I don't think there's much of a difference. ^^; I used to draw a lot when I was younger and I still do now, but not as much. (I draw all over my class notes ^^ wink I always loved drawing and coloring for a long time. Then once I got myself into using computers I taught myself how to use paint shop pro and html code, sometimes I look at this one website to give me some cool html codes. ^^; I've made my own wallpapers, banners, logos for guilds and website layouts, which are mostly from anime pictures put together with all kinds of colors. I'm not that good at drawing and creating something, but I think I'm good at taking different things and putting them together into one cool picture. ^^; If I can't get into that field, then I have no clue what else to do with my life. I'm so confused! @.@  

Senshi_chan

Elquin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:03 pm
I have just completed my second year of study in a Bachelor of Graphic Design program at the Ontario College of Art and Design. More than anything, I am gaining vaulable experience and learning from my mistakes and the things produced by my fellow students. The faculty have been very helpful as well in pointing things out that I had never considered.
I am trying to self-teach myself the basics of website building, and want to self teach myself Flash once I can get my hands on a copy.
In addition to graphic design I love to draw, sew, paint and create miscellaneous works of art and craft.
Life is the best teacher, and the move varried experiences you have, the better the other areas of your life will become.  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff