Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
You're Favourite Religious Quotes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nergalitos

Celebrating Reveler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:39 pm
antiangel force
No seriously though, :

"I believe in God." xp lol i'm not trying to be mean either, but there is no way to explain the way i heard it that day. I visited an african american church that day, and the guy's yelling it at the top of his lung, and it was just so funny *sniff* rofl

I had to go to church for a few weeks when I first told my parents of my Atheism. >>; Still, the few people yelling "Amen", "Praise the lord" ect. ect. ect. amuse me because of how much they yell it.

That, and I saw this intresting list of 50 things to do in a church. Some of them are rather rude, but the occasional one, I found funny..should you ever do so.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:59 pm
antiangel force
Tenth Speed Writer
Lee Retalis
Tenth Speed Writer
Just... no. No. -.-

This topic is exactly what I don't want to see in this guild. It promotes intolerance and hatrid of religion, and should be promptly locked and disposed of.

Thank you.

I wasn't trying to offend anybody.
I was just trying to have some fun. I am tolerant of religions, I live in a religious family and go to a catholic school.
I just don't like being serious all the time is all.

I'm sorry my attempts at humor caused such a problem for you...

Yeah, well get this. I will not stand for my guildmates to sink to the same level as certain Christian groups I'd like to avoid mentioning. You percieve yourself to be better than them in the same way they do you, so I'd advise you to take the moral high road this one time and *NOT* drop down to heckling them behind their backs.

Catholics? rofl rofl rofl rofl

I was gonna say Southern Baptists, but that'll work. xD  

Tenth Speed Writer

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:50 pm
Lee Retalis
Tenth Speed Writer
Lethkhar
Tenth Speed Writer
Lee Retalis
Tenth Speed Writer
Just... no. No. -.-

This topic is exactly what I don't want to see in this guild. It promotes intolerance and hatrid of religion, and should be promptly locked and disposed of.

Thank you.

I wasn't trying to offend anybody.
I was just trying to have some fun. I am tolerant of religions, I live in a religious family and go to a catholic school.
I just don't like being serious all the time is all.

I'm sorry my attempts at humor caused such a problem for you...

Yeah, well get this. I will not stand for my guildmates to sink to the same level as certain Christian groups I'd like to avoid mentioning. You percieve yourself to be better than them in the same way they do you, so I'd advise you to take the moral high road this one time and *NOT* drop down to heckling them behind their backs.

Relax, dude. By making this guild, we've probably already offended them. There's plenty of intolerance towards religion in this guild. That's sort of the point of being an atheist. You don't accept a god. By doing that you're already intolerant.

Hell, all you need to do is go to the "Things that make you giggle" thread. There's some really funny intolerant stuff there.

No, I don't need to relax. The "point of being an atheist" is an open admission of having no faith in a higher power. It's easily possible to do so without becoming intolerant toward religious groups, and such is a failing posessed by several theists that I believe should have no place here what-so-ever.

I don't appreciate being talked to like that for (what is now apparent to be) a simple mistake.
I do not "percieve myself to be better than them in the same way they do you." I do not percieve myself to be "better" then anyone.
This is an assumption I take very offensively.
I do not think I'm intolerant at all.
It was not my intention to offend anyone in any way.
I was not trying to break any rules, I was not trying to piss off anyone.
I was simply trying to have fun.
Although, I would like to congratulate you for assuming things about me and making me feel completely unwelcome for one mistake when I was honestly just trying to make what I had thought was a harmless discussion.
Good day sir.

Thank you to all who were nicer about it, I appreciate your courtesy more then you know.

If you want, like I said before, just change the title to be 'religious' or something more general. I think people are moving forward with your discussion intentions behind the thread now anyways.
And in the future, don't feel like what anyone here corrects you on is the end of the guild-world unless it's a clear TOS violation. xP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:23 pm
c a u s t i c
Lee Retalis
Tenth Speed Writer
Lethkhar
Tenth Speed Writer

Relax, dude. By making this guild, we've probably already offended them. There's plenty of intolerance towards religion in this guild. That's sort of the point of being an atheist. You don't accept a god. By doing that you're already intolerant.

Hell, all you need to do is go to the "Things that make you giggle" thread. There's some really funny intolerant stuff there.

No, I don't need to relax. The "point of being an atheist" is an open admission of having no faith in a higher power. It's easily possible to do so without becoming intolerant toward religious groups, and such is a failing posessed by several theists that I believe should have no place here what-so-ever.

I don't appreciate being talked to like that for (what is now apparent to be) a simple mistake.
I do not "percieve myself to be better than them in the same way they do you." I do not percieve myself to be "better" then anyone.
This is an assumption I take very offensively.
I do not think I'm intolerant at all.
It was not my intention to offend anyone in any way.
I was not trying to break any rules, I was not trying to piss off anyone.
I was simply trying to have fun.
Although, I would like to congratulate you for assuming things about me and making me feel completely unwelcome for one mistake when I was honestly just trying to make what I had thought was a harmless discussion.
Good day sir.

Thank you to all who were nicer about it, I appreciate your courtesy more then you know.

If you want, like I said before, just change the title to be 'religious' or something more general. I think people are moving forward with your discussion intentions behind the thread now anyways.
And in the future, don't feel like what anyone here corrects you on is the end of the guild-world unless it's a clear TOS violation. xP

Yeah... There's a few of us who may snap at you about certain things, but it's Caustic who gets the final say.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Nergalitos

Celebrating Reveler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:14 pm
Ahh, found it. This is my favorite of the little list.

25.Hide near the baptismal pool with a block of sodium. At the first mention of "fire and brimstone", throw it in.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:23 pm
Nergalitos

25.Hide near the baptismal pool with a block of sodium. At the first mention of "fire and brimstone", throw it in.

lol.  

Lethkhar

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:47 pm
Nergalitos

The brillance of chemistry.

Explosions without fire.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
cup_noodles
Nergalitos

The brillance of chemistry.

Explosions without fire.

Indeed, and it would probably spook a few right out of their minds.  

Nergalitos

Celebrating Reveler

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:05 am
From the thread "Helpful Phrase":
I believe in one less god than you, once you understand why you dismiss all the others, you'll understand why I dismiss yours.
I think that's a good one.

By the way, "you're" means "you are". Do you mean "Your Favourite Religious Quotes" in the title?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:48 am
I've got a couple here.

"But here steps in Satan, the eternal rebel, the first free-thinker and emancipator of worlds. He makes man ashamed of his bestial ignorance and obedience; he emancipates him, stamps upon his brow the seal of liberty and humanity, in urging him to disobey and eat of the fruit of knowledge."

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'"

"You can safely say that you have made God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

"The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad."

"He has spent his life best who has enjoyed it most; God will take care that we do not enjoy it any more than is good for us."

"The Vision of Christ that thou dost see,
Is my vision's greatest enemy.
Thine is the Friend of all Mankind,
Mine speaks in Parables to the blind.
Thine loves the same world that mine hates,
Thy heaven-doors are my hell gates."

"So, let's impeach god! I would like to announce my candidacy for the position of god; among other things, I promise to offer true and unquestionable proof of my existence, as the previous holder of the office of 'god' obviously failed to do."

"Forgive, O Lord, my little jokes on Thee
And I'll forgive Thy great big one on me."

"I have made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord,make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

"Religion is a candle inside a multicolored lantern. Everyone looks through a particular color, but the candle is always there."

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

"To give pleasure to a single heart by a single kind act is better than a thousand head-bowings in prayer."

"'And don't tell me God works in mysterious ways,' Yossarian continued. 'There's nothing mysterious about it, He's not working at all. He's playing. Or else He's forgotten all about us. That's the kind of God you people talk about, a country bumpkin, a clumsy, bungling, brainless, conceited, uncouth hayseed. Good God, how much reverence can you have for a Supreme Being who finds it necessary to include such phenomena as phlegm and tooth decay in His divine system of Creation? What in the world was running through that warped, evil, scatalogical mind of His when He robbed old people of the power to control their bowel movements? Why in the world did He ever create pain?'"

"I am an agnostic; I do not pretend to know what many ignorant men are sure of."

"Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps; for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to be."  

Yami-no-Albedo

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:04 pm
Sometimes I thank God I'm atheist.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:07 pm
Lee Retalis
I recently bought a new button today to put on my hat biggrin
It reads:
"Sorry I missed church....I was too busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian."

Lol My mom hated it. And I knew she would. xd
The rest of my family laughed. lol.

So, fellow athiests, what is your favourite religion/athiesm quote?

I want that pin.... rofl  

Lilly Dark

Lilly Dark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:08 pm
cup_noodles
Sometimes I thank God I'm atheist.
now that means something... lol  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:06 pm
One of my favorite ones would have to be:

"If going to church makes you a Christian, than does going to a garage make you a car?"

I saw that as a bumper sticker ones in a Pagan/Figurine shop.

Sanguvixen

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:17 pm
Sanguvixen
One of my favorite ones would have to be:

"If going to church makes you a Christian, than does going to a garage make you a car?"

I saw that as a bumper sticker ones in a Pagan/Figurine shop.

Yes, I've heard it as,"Going to Church no more makes you a Christian than going to a garage makes you a car."

Can't remember who that's a quote of...  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces