Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
PC or Mac? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you prefer to use?
PC!
46%
 46%  [ 12 ]
Mac!
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
I like both equally
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
I have an even better option
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know enough about one/either to judge
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 26

jam-wired

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:40 pm
Marie-Novelle

jam-wired

typography is a lot easier to do with a Mac.

I don't understand this. If you use Illustrator for typography, it works the same way on both systems.

Special characters are harder to type on a PC. For example, the keyboard shortcut for an en-dash on a Mac is option-hyphen. On a PC, it's alt-0150 (hold down alt while typing the numbers). Other common typographic characters that are like this are the ellipsis, em-dash, hash mark, and smart/curly quote. I was referring to more traditional typography rather than typographic effects. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:18 pm
I do like Macs very much. I use them in college. here at home I use a PC. With Macs I dislike that you can't use right click. I pretty much know how to use Macs well by now. Eventually I may switch over to a Mac at home, because I do think I like them better overall than pcs.  

Sinequan_150mg

Naiadrisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:11 am
i would love to have a mac but i'm too poor to afford one xd all the teachers in my school are using a mac OS X and they're fiercely loyal to it too 3nodding

i'm using a PC for my work now just because it's easier to get software for it. a Mac would be good though...it has more processing power (which is useful for video and 3d rendering) and there is less worry about getting viruses and stuff.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:48 am
I live in a mac school belive me PC'S are a million times better than macs plus pc's are jsut good in graphic stuff and mutimedia even better  

Wolven Lurker

Skye River

Enduring Elder

14,675 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:31 am
I'm a hard core mac user and it's my main tool that I use in designing graphics as well as doing everyday things such as word processing, net surfing, etc.

The reason why macs are suitable for graphics is because the processor has more "subroutines" built within the chip which means that if you did a gaussian blur on a large image, it would do it much faster.

A lot of creative industries use macs such as music, advertising, photography, comics, video, as well as many other fields out there. Those that work with PC's in the advertising industry have had problems with taking thier files to a printhouse because they would have to convert the file format which would cost them time and money.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:16 am
Sinequan_150mg
With Macs I dislike that you can't use right click.

My friend Geoff's Mac is running on system x, and he plugged a PC mouse into it, and can now right click. I don't know if system x has anything to do with it, but you might wanna try it.

Anyway, I like both. I use a PC at home, and a Mac at school, and I'm trying to convince my parents to get me a Mac for my graduation present. I always make my graphics on a Mac, but will not code sites on anything other than a PC. I've tried doing it on a Mac, and I HATE IT! So yeah...I will always have both in my life.  

retrokitty

Fashionable Gawker

4,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Friendly 100

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:43 am
retrokitty
I always make my graphics on a Mac, but will not code sites on anything other than a PC. I've tried doing it on a Mac, and I HATE IT! So yeah...I will always have both in my life.
Isn't it the same? Well, Dreamweaver and Notepad work the same, and Macs have BBEdit mmmm blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:58 am
Chisa
retrokitty
I always make my graphics on a Mac, but will not code sites on anything other than a PC. I've tried doing it on a Mac, and I HATE IT! So yeah...I will always have both in my life.
Isn't it the same? Well, Dreamweaver and Notepad work the same, and Macs have BBEdit mmmm blaugh

Well, I use notepad and write the code myself, and I haven't quite figured out how to do the same thing on a Mac. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I don't know how to. stressed

I use Dreamweaver, but only as my FTP. I don't actually know how to use any of those coding programs! sweatdrop  

retrokitty

Fashionable Gawker

4,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Friendly 100

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:05 am
retrokitty
Chisa
retrokitty

Well, I use notepad and write the code myself, and I haven't quite figured out how to do the same thing on a Mac. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I don't know how to. stressed

I use Dreamweaver, but only as my FTP. I don't actually know how to use any of those coding programs! sweatdrop
In code view, they're just like Notepad, but they colour tags and things so theyre easier to see. Dreamweaver also has autofill (which is great sometimes, annoying at others), and some other cool features to make things like rollover scripts and image mapes easier, as well as a bunch of other features I never use. Using Dreamweaver for web design to me is like using a cannon to kill a mosquito blaugh but I don't have BBEdit on my PC at home, and I get easily confused without the colours, so I'm stuck using it sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:11 am
Hm, might be worth looking into.  

retrokitty

Fashionable Gawker

4,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Friendly 100

candee-addict

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:22 pm
pcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpc

moderated by GhoSt-X 12/05/06
reason: fixing the post width

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:33 pm
Linux? FreeBSD ? o.O

just jokin .. im a PC user!

ive used macs tho before ... but since im not a graphic designer as such ... GO THE PC!  

GhoSt-X

JuneBerry

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am
candee-addict
pcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpcpc.....

Why? WHY?! And why must you stretch the screen like that?! scream  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:47 am
actually ..with MACs new intel architecture ... with the possibility of OSX/Windows Dual Boot ... they are looks suprisingly tasty ...  

GhoSt-X

rogue_designer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:06 pm
GhoSt-X
actually ..with MACs new intel architecture ... with the possibility of OSX/Windows Dual Boot ... they are looks suprisingly tasty ...

And that taste is oh - so - sweet my friend.

My new macbook pro is - hands down - the fastest laptop for graphics work on the market right now. It simply flies with CS2 - even with the rosetta translation for universal binary.

I think I'm in love with the expensive little silver b*****d.  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff