PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:29 pm
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
the only problem with getting someone's name tattooed is that it's permanent...but yeah

As for the other languages. One of my mother's employees actually asked me to translate something for him into French (I speak French fluently) but just to be safe I had my old French principal check it because I was never the best at grammar and such. He was pleased when I gave him the paper back. And yes, it was for a tattoo.

With the whole Kanji thing...I'd be REALLY apprehensive because I don't know if the artist actually knows what they're putting on me...my boyfriend wants to get some things done in Kanji but I think I'm going to have him ask a few people to translate for him...you know...so it's correct.

Be careful before you get something in another language <3
If I really love her, then I won't regret it, even if we break up. It's not like most people will understand what it says anyway... She knows Kenji, so I'd have her draw it for me before I get it done, just to make sure it's correct.
eh...that's how my boyfriend and I are but I told him I wouldn't let him get my name even though we've kinda taken an oath not to break up and such...long story.

I still made him promise.
I don't know why, but having someone's names tattooed on me seems less tacky if it's in Japanese. That's probably stupid, but oh well.
*shrug* it's your opinion. Love isn't exactly forever though...despite what people say. If you and her broke up, you'd probably be upset knowing you have her name on you (permanently). I know that'd upset me more than make me smile.
I think love can last forever. I've seen couples that love each other even after one of them is dead. I hope to find that kind of love. And even if I did break up with her, if she was a really important person in my life and left a perminate mark on my heart, I'd think it would be appropriate. Not that I'm about to rush out and get it done anytime soon. I'd have to be pretty damn sure it was worth it and right now I don't even know if we're offically dating.
hm...I guess it really depends on the couple then. I'd love to get my boyfriend's name tattooed on me in Kanji but I want to be sure, just like you. I'd still be apprehensive though because I never know what could happen.
You make a good point though. I hope it become official for you 3nodding heart
Heh. sweatdrop We're fighting right now and she hasn't spoken to me yet...  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:12 am
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
the only problem with getting someone's name tattooed is that it's permanent...but yeah

As for the other languages. One of my mother's employees actually asked me to translate something for him into French (I speak French fluently) but just to be safe I had my old French principal check it because I was never the best at grammar and such. He was pleased when I gave him the paper back. And yes, it was for a tattoo.

With the whole Kanji thing...I'd be REALLY apprehensive because I don't know if the artist actually knows what they're putting on me...my boyfriend wants to get some things done in Kanji but I think I'm going to have him ask a few people to translate for him...you know...so it's correct.

If I really love her, then I won't regret it, even if we break up. It's not like most people will understand what it says anyway... She knows Kenji, so I'd have her draw it for me before I get it done, just to make sure it's correct.
eh...that's how my boyfriend and I are but I told him I wouldn't let him get my name even though we've kinda taken an oath not to break up and such...long story.

I don't know why, but having someone's names tattooed on me seems less tacky if it's in Japanese. That's probably stupid, but oh well.
*shrug* it's your opinion. Love isn't exactly forever though...despite what people say. If you and her broke up, you'd probably be upset knowing you have her name on you (permanently). I know that'd upset me more than make me smile.
I think love can last forever. I've seen couples that love each other even after one of them is dead. I hope to find that kind of love. And even if I did break up with her, if she was a really important person in my life and left a perminate mark on my heart, I'd think it would be appropriate. Not that I'm about to rush out and get it done anytime soon. I'd have to be pretty damn sure it was worth it and right now I don't even know if we're offically dating.
hm...I guess it really depends on the couple then. I'd love to get my boyfriend's name tattooed on me in Kanji but I want to be sure, just like you. I'd still be apprehensive though because I never know what could happen.
whee that's bad...any serious fighting?  

[Vanilla Lace]

Shameless Elder

Zombina Corpse
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:03 am
Remember to stay on topic guys.

----------

User Image
{` K L i M || M i L K `}

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:16 pm
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head

Since this is supposed to be about tattoos, I'd have to PM you the details.  

Bree-bunny

[Vanilla Lace]

Shameless Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:26 am
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head

Since this is supposed to be about tattoos, I'd have to PM you the details.
heh...yeah...you don't have to.

Back on topic: I think I've pretty much done my share of talking so...I'm done  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:17 pm
Ehh, on the subject of someone's name tattooed on you, I'd never do it.

I couldn't even handle wearing the ring my ex gave me.

But on the subject of the mistranslations, haven't seen any...

Though I'd like something in latin tattooed on me, I'll get my friend who understands latin to translate things for meh.

[Nichi]

Chojin9999

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:32 pm
[Nichi]

Though I'd like something in latin tattooed on me, I'll get my friend who understands latin to translate things for meh.

My friend got the "veritas" "aequitas" tattoos from Boondock Saints done on him.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:10 am
When i'm older id love to have Eros tattooed on my ankle.  

`Zoe

qiU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:44 pm
I have my fiancee's and my enitials on my wrist... M <3 I razz  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:09 am
[Nichi]

Angelina Jolie's tattoo is mistranslated. xd  

Adjective

Levaal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:36 pm
I would be afraid to get an foreign language tattoos just because well i dam not that trusting... i dont want to get Wild in chinese and it endu p saying "I like Men" or somethin  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:26 pm
qiU
I have my fiancee's and my enitials on my wrist... M <3 I razz
Aw... that's sweet. heart  

Bree-bunny

Angel de Lys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:57 am
Well, on the subject of lover's names, I have my husband's name (next to mine on a banner) on my shoulder, but it's not alone, it's just the tip of a large composition tattoo with lots of meining behind everything in it. I think it's a loving thing to do and obviously shows a great deal of commitment to your life partner if your situation is permanent.

If, however, you're thinking "what if I break up/divorce", that is a big definite warning sign to NOT do it! It your doubting *forever* already, it's obviously a big no-no. The worst thing is having an ex stuck to you, and you wind up needing laser surgery to get rid of it (which is a lengthy and costly process), which is why many tattooists will *try* to convince you not to do it, but I was admament and made it very clear to my artist that I don't believe in tearing apart my family, and I would rather gauge my eyes out with a spoon, tear off my flesh, and roll in salt than ever leave my husband xd

On the subject of foreign lettering, I wouldn't do it unless it was in a language corresponding to my personal culture. An asian partner's name in kanji is understandable due to the partner's culture, but I prefer to stick to my own roots when it concerns myself. I am french through my father (live in Montréal, Québec), and spaniard through my mother. I speak and write fluently in both french and spanish. I think it would be meaningful to have something in either of those languages, and as a matter of fact, I have a particular project in mind.

I am going to be getting...probably on my right upper forarm (my left is taken, right one is still naked xd ) a cross, with the vertical and horizontal sides of equal length, and a fleur-de-lys on each end. I will also have a blue shield in the middle of it with three fleur-de-lys on it, representing the holy trinity. The cross represents my faith (I am Catholic) the fleur-de-lys ornaments represent french (they are royal symbols most commonly used by the french). The composition as a whole will also represent my history, as my city, Montréal, was founded by Catholic missionaries from France. The cross with fleur-de-lys and a trinity shield beautifully depicts this.

And where the text comes in...I want to have a beautiful script over and under it reading...

"Je Me" on the top, and "Souviens" on the bottom.

"Je Me Souviens" means "I Remember". It is a powerful statement concering my people's history, and it is also the slogan of Québec (written on all the license plates!).  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:15 am
erk

this is probably the biggest pet peeve of mine, people getting kanji tattoos. i s**t you not, i've seen some of the worst of the worst. i saw a man once with "kan-ji" tattooed in kanji. i had to try not to yell at him. it's like having "english" tattooed on you in english. ergh.

another thing that bugs me is when foreigners tell me they have their name tattooed on them in kanji. that's not even possible. if your name is foreign, you can't translate it properly, but nobody really seems to get how chinese characters work. they wind up with something that might as well be gobbledygook, because it certain as hell isn't their name.

i may be a prissy elitist about it, but being from japan makes me a bit of a b***h about character tattoos. i would never, ever get one.  

Muddud

O Blue Sky Complex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:27 pm
 Okay, I agree with you, Muddud. I would never get my name tattooed on me in Kanji (or in any other language for that matter)...However, I AM Western, I've lived in Japan, and I do have kanji for my name, it is possible :'D;.

I would not get a character tattooed on me, just because, well, I don't like it. I know a woman with a kanji tattoo...And she told me she just got it because it "looked cool". It kind of pissed me off, people get Asian (mainly Japanese) tattoo's because what? It's a fad right now? They look cool? Unless your from a certain country of have some history or emotional investment in the culture or the country, why get it? (Although it does make me laugh when people get the wrong character, etc etc).

Kanji tattoo's are the new tribal armbands.  
Tattoos

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff