Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The War on Christmas... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Candy Store Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:35 pm
Sanguvixen

Now of that action has come two things I have observed. One is a large increase is certain thiests starting to blab endlessly that "Athiests and people who are not of the Christian faith should not celebrate any part of Christmas." The other would be the increasingly heated debate of wether or not those shops should really say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays."

Now my question to all of you is what do you think of this?

What is your view on those people who claim that since "Christmas is a Christian Holiday celebrating the birth of thier savior, only Christains should celebrate it.

What also is your view on this whole "War against Christmas"?

Who is the real enemy of "Christmas" or is there no enemy at all?

I've provided enough topic information so..Discuss!

I celebrate christmas because my family does. Christmas isn't even about Christianity to some people anymore. I have hindu freinds who celbrate the idea of gift giving at christmas time. People themselves are the real enemy to christmas for making it so materialistic.
America is primarily a christian country, and was founded in christianity, so it's fine if they want to say happy holidays, or merry christmas.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:26 pm
Take the Christ out of Christmas

[edit]

Actually I don't mind it that much just, People thinking that Christmas should be reserved for Christians is, well just a tad bit selfish.  

Status Quo Joe

Status Quo Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:31 pm
The Martyr Of Intellect
Sanguvixen

Now of that action has come two things I have observed. One is a large increase is certain thiests starting to blab endlessly that "Athiests and people who are not of the Christian faith should not celebrate any part of Christmas." The other would be the increasingly heated debate of wether or not those shops should really say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays."

What is your view on those people who claim that since "Christmas is a Christian Holiday celebrating the birth of thier savior, only Christains should celebrate it.

I celebrate christmas because my family does. Christmas isn't even about Christianity to some people anymore. I have hindu freinds who celbrate the idea of gift giving at christmas time. People themselves are the real enemy to christmas for making it so materialistic.
America is primarily a christian country, and was founded in christianity, so it's fine if they want to say happy holidays, or merry christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:45 pm
Anarchy-x

[edit]

Actually I don't mind it that much just, People thinking that Christmas should be reserved for Christians is, well just a tad bit selfish.

I personaly think that the Christians can go and be their Christmas loving selves. I really wouldn't care. As long as they don't ask me to join their centuries old cult I wouldn't care. As the wonderous John Safran puts it:

"I don't care if you think Christ was the Messiah. I don't care if you think you're the Messiah. I don't care if you think Christ was the Anti-Christ. I just, don't, care."

cup_noodles

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:31 am
cup_noodles
Anarchy-x

[edit]

I personaly think that the Christians can go and be their Christmas loving selves. I really wouldn't care. As long as they don't ask me to join their centuries old cult I wouldn't care. As the wonderous John Safran puts it:

"I don't care if you think Christ was the Messiah. I don't care if you think you're the Messiah. I don't care if you think Christ was the Anti-Christ. I just, don't, care."

;laughs; Nice one. I can relate to that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:14 pm
Sanguvixen
Emmanuela
Oh, yes, I've heard about all this and I probably shouldn't laugh but oh well..

Anyway, it probably is more respectful to non-Christians to say Happy Holidays. Why don't they say Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to keep both sects happy? Actually, if that happened you'd end up with huge posters saying "Happy holidays, merry Christmas, happy.... etc.".

As I said on my last post, Christmas is now a time to be with family and to generally be nice and happy to one another and for almost everyone I know, Christmas is about this and not about the birth of Christ. Christmas should be embraced as a time when we should forget our differences and love each other... Yeah, like that will ever happen....

War against Christmas? Hahaha... As a religious festival it's just gone down the drain, but as a feeling and idea of love then it has spread throughout the world. There is no real enemy, only people who perceive themselves as a minority and think they are beeing dicrininated against when in fact they're not and just need to see the bigger picture.

Do you think that it's origins might have been non-religious?

I mean...the more I think about it, the more it makes sense that whom ever started celebrating a festival smack dab in the middle of winter might not have been doing so for Non-religious reasons.

EDIT: I made a typo....that should be "Non-religious reasons".

Hmm... No I don't think so. If you think of the word "holiday" it comes from "holy" "day", right? So it would have to be religous to have a holiday. However, I suppose it could have somewhere, but I think that people were far more religous back in the ol' days and in England before Cromwell there used to be holidays every other day. But anyway, I think that it's probably due to the winter soltice and reasons that other people have stated really.  

Emmanuela

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:22 pm
Christmas is not meant to only be celebrated by the Christians.

Christmas was once a time for only the Christians, but more and more people began to see the joy that Christmas held. Families would come together for dinners, presents were exchanged; it was a happy, family time.

But since others have celebrated it, the Christians have become enraged. I believe that they are the enemies of Christmas. They are the ones who insist that it has to be celebreated by their rules, and they kill the holiday for other people. Christmas, to me, is a time where I get together with my family and spend time with them. I love that the family gets together and we spend time together to bond; it means a lot to me. But all the Christians always say that I can't celebrate it because I'm not of their religion.

Christmas can be whatever you want it to be, whether you like it or not. I do not tell Christians that they cannot celebrate Halloween because it's not of their religion. So, why should they tell me that I should not celebrate Christmas. Halloween is what they make it to be, and Christmas is whatever the individual makes it to be.

So, in all actuality, the people who established the holiday, are the one who kill it for others. The ones who created it are the biggest enemies of all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:25 pm
The Martyr Of Intellect
Sanguvixen

The Seven Deadly Sinz

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:54 pm
1. There is no war on Christmas.

2. Christmas is for everyone.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:52 pm
Quote:

I know that they are deluded into a lie, and its not just the religion. Years ago the Christain Church tried to cover up Pagan holidays and steal their traditions. Those holidays were Yule and the Winter Solstice, anybody of any belief system can celebrate them. These are holidays I celebrate and it angers me to no end how hypocritical those Christains are! Jesus' original fictional birth date is unknown, but it wasn't ever in the Winter. I even remember someone saying that his real fictional birth could be observed in the Bible.

Quote:

It is as hypocritical as a Native American over hearing a White American telling an Asian or a Mexican immagrant to GTFO of the country.

Quote:

The ones who are trying to prevent others from celebrating it.  

CGurp

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:22 am
This is what I found in the book I am reading at the moment (Amo, Amas, Amat and all that by Harry Mount and I copied all this by hand so appologies for mistakes):

Quote:
And little by little as this top down influence seeped through the colonies, the lower orders began to imitate their chiefs. There was no need for the Romans to inflict any nasty complusive conversion:the native gods and habits of the conquored were painlessly absorbed into the new Roman tradition. And the Romans themselves borrowed from previous empires and from the places they colonised. The stories of Hercules were culled from the Greek tales of Heracules and they, in turn, had been borrowed from the stories that pre-Greek tribed had concocted about their own local strong man.

Christianity ended up doing the same with many of its rituals. Christmas is a joint appropriation of the Roman winter festival, Saturnalia, celebrating Saturn, the God of agriculture, and the northern pagan ritual, known as Yule. Yule was a celebration of the birth of the pagan Sun God, Mithras (much appropriated by Roman Britons), and was obsereved on 21 December, the shortest day f the year, when Yule logs were burnt and kisses exchanged as a fertility ritual under the misletoe.... It wasn't until 350AD that Pope Julius I declared that Christ's birth would be celebrated on December 25, making it as easy as possible for pagan Romans, the vast majority of Romans, to switch to the new rituals.

Christ wasn't born on December 25, so celebrating it then is because of above. It's a fusion of celebrations and not just of Christ himself. I think that people are just arguing over the name rather then the celebration itself.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:43 pm
oh for the love of science! this is just idiotic. if we say merry christmas the a**l jewish guys get their panties in a wad and make people say happy holidays! then christians get their panties in a wad over that and want merry christmas to come back. neither of them can win. maybe they should just agree on something totally different to say and then never bring it up again. oh wait. they can't because that would solve their problem and when it comes to religion nobody wants to actually bother solving the problem by negotiating. sciencedamn, this is why I became an athiest. because nobody bothers making their god happy by BEING A GOOD PERSON. they just try to prove all other religions are wrong. I think we're the only religion that makes any sense anymore. that's all I have to say about that.  

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

+Gloria Domini+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:02 pm
Back to the ages of power, it's time for us to learn
One day it's far too late, too late for a return

I think that, if any one group is most at fault for all of these problems, it's the Christians. (Ho s**t, he's condemning his own group. Who'da thunk?)

If all Christians were as open-minded and forgiving as the good Lord says we should be, then none of this would have happened.

Arise from the cower, from the day on we have learned
It's high time to break the spell that's chaining up the world

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:58 pm
Sanguvixen
Now you all may or may not know this buch a group of Evengalical Christians sometime last year became very rabid when many sellers of consumer goods and services began saying "Happy Holidays" over "Merry Christmas".

The places such as Wal-Mart, Target, and such claim that since not all people belong to a Christian Faith, it would only be more respectful to people of all faiths to say "Happy Holidays"

Those Evangelical Christians have become quite persistant in that they "Are the most discrimated group in America." and that "It is discrimatory against Christians to "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

I'm an atheist and Icelebrate Christmas. Not because I believe in its origins but because its a family tradition. My family was either Christian or Russian Orthodox for over 10 generations. My parents broke that chain and I continue to break it, butwe still celebrate as our ancestors did. I'm fine if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas are you?  

russiangal367

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces